PDA

View Full Version : Maz cut.

ChiefsGirl
08-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Chiefs | Maslowski Released
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:10:31 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs have announced the release of LB Mike Maslowski (knee).

:(

ChiefsGirl
08-23-2005, 03:17 PM
I was hoping he'd make it back.

TRR
All indications before TC had him ready to go. Just couldn't get back. Sad to see Maz go.

Radar Chief
I was hoping he'd make it back.

Didn’t realistically think he would though.

el borracho
08-23-2005, 03:18 PM
The only surprise here is that ChiefsGirl got the scoop.

WisChief
08-23-2005, 03:19 PM
someone mentioned a few days ago that if there was a possibility he could end up on the coaching staff in some way that would be a good way to keep him around. I'd like to see that.

ROYC75
08-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Gotta link ?

Not susprised to see it, but sad.

cdcox
Good for the team (we have better, more healthy players). Sad for Maz. NFL is a rough business.

TRR
I think the Chiefs are wanting to make room for Jonathan Quinn.

ChiefsGirl
Gotta a link ?
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

BigRedChief
08-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Hopefully he will come back as an assistant coach. Open a bar in kc whatever. Just hang with us locals and grow old.

Coach
08-23-2005, 03:24 PM
610 also reported this as well.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-23-2005, 03:24 PM
The only surprise here is that ChiefsGirl got the scoop.
Yea... well she did have to use two posts to complete one thought though...

:)

milkman
08-23-2005, 03:25 PM
someone mentioned a few days ago that if there was a possibility he could end up on the coaching staff in some way that would be a good way to keep him around. I'd like to see that.

I'd love to see him come back as a coach, whose responsibilities would include working specifically with Kawika, Boomer, and Gopher.

the Talking Can
08-23-2005, 03:26 PM
too bad...but not a surprise

Kyle401
...Sad for Maz. NFL is a rough business.

I was really pulling for him to do well. It's a shame he had to suffer that knee injury. We really could use him back on special teams.

morphius
That is what it sounded like the Chiefs had wanted to do from what they said earlier this year. I hope it works out for the guy.

tk13

That's too bad. Knew it was coming though. I know he wasn't the greatest MLB but it's no secret I was a big fan of the guy. :D I hope he lands on his feet whatever he does... I'd definitely like to see him become a coach, from all accounts it seemed like that while he wasn't the greatest athlete, he was a very smart player.

The Bad Guy
08-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Thank god.

He was never apart of the solution defensively - even with 2 functional knees.

He's slow, horrible in coverage and would have completely slowed this unit down this year.

I might be the only one who never warmed up to the guy.

Chief Faithful
08-23-2005, 03:28 PM

He was one of my favorites. I'm sorry for him and the team. He will be missed.

dirk digler
Did he even practice at all during TC? I don't think he did so this shouldn't be a surprise but I am sad that he is gone. He will be missed.

htismaqe
Thank god.

He's slow, horrible in coverage and would have completely slowed this unit down this year.

No, you're not the only one.

|Zach|
08-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Thank god.

I feel the same way...I appreciate some of the things he has done but I guess I don't quite understand the huge following he gets around here. I just think there are other players with a lot of heart who do good things and exceed some of their athletic ability...

Hammock Parties
08-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Who will help me carry him.

Mr. Laz
08-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Thank god.

I might be the only one who never warmed up to the guy.No, you're not the only one.
I feel the same way...I appreciate some of the things he has done but I guess I don't quite understand the huge following he gets around here. I just think there are other players with a lot of heart who do good things and exceed some of their athletic ability...
heartless bastard(s) ...

can't even hold your tongue as he's being cut :cuss:

Wile_E_Coyote
08-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Maz jerseys will be worn at Arrowhead for years

|Zach|
08-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Maz jerseys will be worn at Arrowhead for years
You think? :hmmm:

teedubya
08-23-2005, 03:32 PM
dont cry for him, argentina. He will be getting paid for the next few years and costing us cap dollars...

dirk digler
08-23-2005, 03:32 PM

He wasn't the most gifted athlete but he played with alot of heart and he was a leader which this team sorely lacked on the defensive side of the ball.

ChiefsGirl
08-23-2005, 03:33 PM
I think the Chiefs are wanting to make room for Jonathan Quinn.

That could have been done by cutting Huard.

Oh well, I didn't think he'd make it back but I had hoped.

TRR
08-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Hopefully Barber can come back from his injury. I'm not sure who Barber is going to have as a running partner now. That's all you saw throughout TC was Barber and Maz running sprints.

|Zach|
He wasn't the most gifted athlete but he played with alot of heart and he was a leader which this team sorely lacked on the defensive side of the ball.
He played with a lot of heart...yes...alot of players do that. Why is he always on this untouchable pedestal.

That defense sucked...

Bad.

I put Chris Horn in the same category as him right now.

ROYC75
I always liked his ST's play, but IMHO his MLB play was average only because he studied hard to make up for the talent he lacked.

Hammock Parties
08-23-2005, 03:35 PM

TRR
08-23-2005, 03:35 PM
That could have been done by cutting Huard.

Oh well, I didn't think he'd make it back but I had hoped.

If Huard is going to be released, it won't happen till final cutdowns. Quinn isn't being brought in to replace Huard or Killian, he's being brought in because both Collins and Huard are shelved for the moment.

Mr. Laz
08-23-2005, 03:36 PM
because he studied hard to make up for the talent he lacked.

sounds like you ... without the studied hard part and alot more of the talent lacking part.

tk13
08-23-2005, 03:38 PM
I'll post these stats one more time. The anti-Maz crowd just chalks it up as a big coincidence. I don't know the answer, the defense definitely went downhill after he got hurt, how much losing the apparent QB of the defense had to do with it, I don't know. We started allowing a full 10 more points/game and stopped getting takeaways when we lost him though.

------------------------------------------------

With Maz at MLB (including the Cincy game where he got hurt, for good)

Games: 10
Record: 9-1
Points per game: 17.4
Takeaways: 29

Times allowing 30 points or more: 1
Times allowing 21 points or more: 3

Times allowing 20 points or less: 7
Times allowing 14 points or less: 5

---------------------------------------

Post-Maz (including playoffs)

Games: 23
Record: 11-12
Points per game: 27.4
Takeaways: 26

Times allowing 30 points or more: 9
Times allowing 21 points or more: 19

Times allowing 20 points or less: 4
Times allowing 14 points or less: 2

BIG_DADDY
Too bad I met his mom when we went to SD. Maz had a lot of heart it's a shame the body couldn't hold up.

The Bad Guy
heartless bastard(s) ...

can't even hold your tongue as he's being cut :cuss:

If Eric Hicks was cut, would you hold your tongue?

Halfcan
08-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Nice scoop Chiefs girl! Yeah I respected Maz, but have been surprised the Chiefs have waited so long. They must be pretty sure he is done. Huard is definately gone!!! Woods is the next to ride off into the sunset.

dirk digler
08-23-2005, 03:39 PM
He played with a lot of heart...yes...alot of players do that. Why is he always on this untouchable pedestal.

That defense sucked...

Bad.

I don't put him on a pedestal but the guy busted his butt from the bottom and worked his way to the top which I think is a admirable(sp) trait. The guy was a ST ace but an average MLB.

Plus maybe we like him because he was a blue collar slow white guy. :hmmm:

TRR
08-23-2005, 03:41 PM
I'll post these stats one more time. The anti-Maz crowd just chalks it up as a big coincidence. I don't know the answer, the defense definitely went downhill after he got hurt, how much losing the apparent QB of the defense had to do with it, I don't know. We started allowing a full 10 more points/game and stopped getting takeaways when we lost him though.

I think more had to do with Robinson not having a backup MLB prepared to play, more than it did with Maz being so good.

Maz was a decent LB, nothing more. He was a good leader, and never got arrested after a Preseason game. Maz will be missed...but KC has already been missing him for two seasons.

Mr. Laz
08-23-2005, 03:41 PM
If Eric Hicks was cut, would you hold your tongue?
i honestly don't know ...

i wouldn't make a point of saying much about him either way

hicks isn't a bad guy ... i don't dislike him

vermeil constant sucking up to him is the only thing that irritates me

WisChief
08-23-2005, 03:42 PM

I never realized it was that big a difference. I've heard DV say something along these lines, but.... :eek:

The Bad Guy
08-23-2005, 03:43 PM

See, the stats aren't going to tell the whole story.

Look at schedule.

San Diego was a laughable offense back then. So was Houston, Baltimore, Oakland, Cleveland and Buffalo.

Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh were the only high-powered offenses back then and I would say that Green Bay tore us apart with their offense. Denver we held tough at the end, but Portis had his way and Pittsburgh only relied on the pass to score with Maddox.

We replaced Maz with someone who had zero instincts and was a rookie. Of course production would fall.

TRR
Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Tuesday that the club has released LB Mike Maslowski.

“Mike Maslowski has been an extremely important player for this franchise since ‘99. He has grown with the Chiefs from his days as an NCAA Division III player, through NFL Europe, to starting linebacker and the most prolific tackler in a single season for this team (in 2002). I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our defense began to decline when we lost Mike to injury in 2003.

“Mike and his wife, Heidi, have been exemplary representatives of this franchise in the Kansas City community. We don’t think this represents the conclusion to Mike’s NFL career, but by releasing him at this time we give him the opportunity to return to the Chiefs in the future if he can get himself ready to play.”

Maslowski (6-2, 243) played in 65 games (31 starts) in six seasons (’99-04) with Kansas City. He registered 311 tackles (229 solo), 4.0 sacks (-7.0 yards), three fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and three interceptions for 28 yards for the club. Maslowski also added 17 passes defensed, 10 QB pressures and 60 special teams tackles. He spent the entire 2004 campaign on injured reserve after undergoing a tibial osteotomy procedure to repair a left knee injury.

The Thorp, Wisconsin native produced his best NFL season in 2002 when he opened all 16 games at ROLB for the club. He recorded a franchise single-season record 162 tackles (109 solo), breaking the previous mark of 157 stops set in ‘79 by LB Gary Spani. Maslowski added a sack (-1.0 yard), a fumble recovery, a forced fumble, a career-high three interceptions, eight passes defensed and five QB pressures.

Maslowski joined the Chiefs as a free agent in ‘99 and played for the Barcelona Dragons of NFL Europe that spring. He produced an NFL Europe single-season record 105 tackles,maz breaking the previous mark of 95 stops set by the Rhein Fire’s Anthony Fieldings in ‘95. He remains the only player in NFLEL history to ever record more than 100 tackles in a single season. A two-time NFLEL Defensive Player of the Week for Barcelona in ‘99, Maslowski helped lead the Dragons to a berth in the World Bowl vs. Frankfurt that season.

The University of Wisconsin - La Crosse product earned Division III All-America honors as a senior. Maslowski finished his college career with 279 tackles, 21.0 stops for loss, 5.5 sacks and 10 interceptions. He was part of the UW - La Crosse ‘95 National Championship team as a junior when he produced a career-high 108 tackles. Maslowski tallied 128 tackles and 13 INTs to earn all-state honors as a senior at Thorp High School in Thorp, Wisconsin.

In November of 2004, Maslowski was selected by U.S. Labor Secretary Elaine Chao as a recipient of a “New Freedom Initiative Award” based on exemplary and innovative efforts to train, recruit and hire people with disabilities, while incorporating the principles of President Bush’s “New Freedom Initiative.” Maslowski formed “Maz’s Mentors Foundation” in 2001 to benefit the Kansas City Foundation For Citizens with Mental Retardation. The foundation’s goal is to enable as many mentally-challenged individuals as possible to live and work independently.

dirk digler
Tk13 maybe right. At least CP agrees with him. BTW I am with TK13, when we lost Maz our D sucked major ass after that because we lost our leader on the D.

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Tuesday that the club has released LB Mike Maslowski.

“Mike Maslowski has been an extremely important player for this franchise since ‘99. He has grown with the Chiefs from his days as an NCAA Division III player, through NFL Europe, to starting linebacker and the most prolific tackler in a single season for this team (in 2002). I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our defense began to decline when we lost Mike to injury in 2003.

tk13
08-23-2005, 03:44 PM
I think more had to do with Robinson not having a backup MLB prepared to play, more than it did with Maz being so good.

Maz was a decent LB, nothing more. He was a good leader, and never got arrested after a Preseason game. Maz will be missed...but KC has already been missing him for two seasons.
I don't think Maz was that good, there are plenty of better MLB's, but he was good enough to help make this defense better. I don't think he gets enough respect for that. The defense wasn't great by any means under him, but it didn't allow points, and it always made the crucial stop when it had to be made. Considering the amount of talent we didn't have and a coordinator that had done nothing but field terrible defenses for almost years, Maz almost helped make it work...

Halfcan
08-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Laz this will be a make or break year for Hicks, DV liked Fuji a lot too, but now the guy is just trying to make it as a special teamer. We will see how he starts. Nobody else has stepped up to challenge the guy yet that is the problem.

Hammock Parties
08-23-2005, 03:46 PM
I now declare this thread the official Chiefsplanet Mike Maslowski Memorial. Post any and all Mike Maslowski pictures in here.

Mike Maslowski led the league in looking pissed, that's for sure.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4048/24077271ba.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6994/24316357qq.jpg

Cormac
08-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Thank god.

I think the point is that it sucks he couldn't make it back. Few wanted him back as starting MLB because of his limitations, but it would have been nice for him to be back healthy and competitive again. But don't let a little concern for the guy get in the way of jumping on him [again] :rolleyes:

Hammock Parties
08-23-2005, 03:49 PM
We should get headsnap to make a Mike Maslowski tribute desktop.

JOhn
08-23-2005, 03:50 PM

That defense sucked...

Bad.

Naw, Chris WILL make the team this year. :thumb:

He plays his heart out, and makes plays. ;)

The Bad Guy
08-23-2005, 03:50 PM
I think the point is that it sucks he couldn't make it back. Few wanted him back as starting MLB because of his limitations, but it would have been nice for him to be back healthy and competitive again. But don't let a little concern for the guy get in the way of jumping on him [again] :rolleyes:
Who said I didn't have any concern for his health?

I don't wish any harm on the guy.

I'm just glad he's no longer a member of this team.

Will he be taken care of financially? Absolutely. Can he still walk? Absolutely.

Sorry if I don't have a pity party for someone who has to retire from a game he's made millions on that I would give both my knees to play every Sunday.

Hammock Parties
08-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Sorry if I don't have a pity party for someone who can't play a game I would give both my knees to play.

Yes, but would you shave your head?

Mr. Kotter
08-23-2005, 03:53 PM
No surprise, really. He had a good run, given his talent--talent enhanced by a great work ethic and love of the game. He was an inspiration to a lot of people. Good luck, Maz. Hopefully, they'll find work for you with the team.

jspchief
08-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Raiders, Broncos, and Chargers fans all over the world are shedding a tear today....

brent102fire
08-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Was anyone truly surprised by this? Maz was a good football player with a lot of heart and intensity, but unfortunately his knee is worked. I wish him the best of luck in his future...Thanks Maz. :toast:

tk13
08-23-2005, 03:57 PM
See, the stats aren't going to tell the whole story.

Look at schedule.

San Diego was a laughable offense back then. So was Houston, Baltimore, Oakland, Cleveland and Buffalo.

Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh were the only high-powered offenses back then and I would say that Green Bay tore us apart with their offense. Denver we held tough at the end, but Portis had his way and Pittsburgh only relied on the pass to score with Maddox.

We replaced Maz with someone who had zero instincts and was a rookie. Of course production would fall.
Portis had one big run in that first Denver game, we had a HUGE goal line stand and the defense stoned them in the 4th quarter. The defense was terrible in the first half against Green Bay, but they turned it up a notch in the 2nd half, held GB in check, got more than one turnover... Maz was right in there on Ahman Green's fumble in OT that bailed our offense out.

Really this has nothing to do any other MLB. I realize there are better ones out there. But to say Maz sucked is not fair, he was a better MLB than he gets credit for. We made stops under Maz, we didn't allow points, the defense actually helped us win games. I do not agree with the philosophy GRob used in getting to that point, but with Maz at MLB was the only time after 1998 GRob had a defense that helped his team win games at any point. We were 9-0. You cannot argue with 9-0. You cannot do better than that. Was it perfect defensive output like the 97 Chiefs every week? No, but we won games, we allowed a solid 17 ppg, and we made the critical stop every single time it was needed. We somehow lost that when Maz left. Whether or not somebody else can bring that to the table is irrelevant to me, I think it's been more than proven Maz played a part in that, he belonged.

Bwana
08-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Not a big surprise. Things haven't looked good for a long time now.

Rain Man
08-23-2005, 04:08 PM
http://cybersarges.tripod.com/images/tapssm.jpg

Braincase
08-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Maz.

4th and Long
08-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Damn. Gotta retire another one of my favorites Chiefs jerseys now. This blows. Thanks for the memories Maz. This Chiefs fan will miss seeing you on the field.

Warrior5
08-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Would be neat if he stayed on as a LB coach...he and Gun share some of the same intensity.

Hammock Parties
08-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Damn. Gotta retire another one of my favorites Chiefs jerseys now. This blows. Thanks for the memories Maz. This Chiefs fan will miss seeing you on the field.

My ass. You wear that like a badge of courage.

Saulbadguy
08-23-2005, 05:24 PM
I have his autograph, personalized to me.

I wonder if the Patriots will pick him up.

B_Ambuehl
08-23-2005, 05:49 PM
We don’t think this represents the conclusion to Mike’s NFL career, but by releasing him at this time we give him the opportunity to return to the Chiefs in the future if he can get himself ready to play.”

What difference would it have made if they release him now or release him at the final cut in 2 weeks?

Hammock Parties
08-23-2005, 05:50 PM
What difference would it have made if they release him now or release him at the final cut in 2 weeks?

He gets an opportunity to sign on with another team.

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2005, 05:54 PM
I fixed your post...

Who will help me marry him.

http://newsfromrussia.com/images/newsline/02-43-gay-marriage.jpg

Hammock Parties
08-23-2005, 05:55 PM
I fixed your post...

Bah. tk13 is the only one that has shown signs of longing toward's Mike Maslowski.

htismaqe
08-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Portis had one big run in that first Denver game, we had a HUGE goal line stand and the defense stoned them in the 4th quarter. The defense was terrible in the first half against Green Bay, but they turned it up a notch in the 2nd half, held GB in check, got more than one turnover... Maz was right in there on Ahman Green's fumble in OT that bailed our offense out.

Really this has nothing to do any other MLB. I realize there are better ones out there. But to say Maz sucked is not fair, he was a better MLB than he gets credit for. We made stops under Maz, we didn't allow points, the defense actually helped us win games. I do not agree with the philosophy GRob used in getting to that point, but with Maz at MLB was the only time after 1998 GRob had a defense that helped his team win games at any point. We were 9-0. You cannot argue with 9-0. You cannot do better than that. Was it perfect defensive output like the 97 Chiefs every week? No, but we won games, we allowed a solid 17 ppg, and we made the critical stop every single time it was needed. We somehow lost that when Maz left. Whether or not somebody else can bring that to the table is irrelevant to me, I think it's been more than proven Maz played a part in that, he belonged.

Like you said, the turnovers dried up about the time Maz went out.

Of course, that was also about the time that Bartee came back from injury and Woods went back to safety. Woods had 2 INT returns for TDs while playing nickel.

Hammock Parties
08-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Like you said, the turnovers dried up about the time Maz went out.

Of course, that was also about the time that Bartee came back from injury and Woods went back to safety. Woods had 2 INT returns for TDs while playing nickel.

It was probably a combination of both. One wonders, if Woods had so much success at nickel corner, why can't we move him there now?

I think the biggest thing with Maz was he knew what he was doing out there. He had the brains to play MLB.

One wonders if Kawika Mitchell knows the appropriate calls to make for the appropriate situations.

carlos3652
08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
dont cry for him, argentina.

We Wont.... ROFL... Its sad to see him go like this... hope he becomes a coach... rather him being on the sidelines like this anyway this year...