PDA

View Full Version : Weight restrictions being purposed in the NFL?

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Warning I am about to rant. If you don't like ranting click out of here immediatly.

Is it saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafe?

Local sports radio reporting that the NFL will reconsider weight restrictions in response the recent death of Thomas Herrion and last years death of Korey Stringer. To me this is nothing short of absurd. If they impliment this I am not even sure I will want to watch the game anymore. I am sure it's the insurance companies who at best would like to see these restrictions and at the very least may want to discontinue coverage for linemen in the NFL or at least raise their premiums significantly. Apparently they have a bunch of doctors using the BMI body mass index to say that NFL lineman are massively obese. They are saying Herrion should be 220 pounds to be in shape. ROFL

Apparently they were already pushing for these type of restrictions before the Herrion incident. I punched BMI and NFL in a search engine and found that to be true.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-03-01-nfl-players-obese_x.htm

The NFL was scoffing at it but I guess now they will reconsider. I do know that using the BMI is completely outrageous and cannot be used on NFL linemen. I swear attorneys, insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies run this world.

In other disgusting news our dog legislation passed on through to the next level. I had a buddy call yesterday because he is concerned about his rottie. His brother lives in Germany where he says 77 breeds are banned and they want to adopt these policies for all countries in the entire European Union. I punched that in a search engine and came up with this. http://www.saveourbreeds.org.uk/germancheek.htm
Make not mistake the insurance companies have waged a war on dogs globally and legislation is coming to a city near you soon.

Jacky Spierer who is the bitch that came out with the dog legislation here locally is going to propose a bill to restrict any form of supplimentation other than basic vitamins for all students participating in athletics in the state. This comes on the heels of her demanding Ahnold give up his job as editor of M&F because there are dangerous suppliments for sale in the magazine. I said it before and make no mistake about it this was never about steroids it was about a bizzillion dollar money grab going after all suppliments in this country like the major pharmaceutical companies tried to do back in 92 they are just coming in the back door with it this time. Steroids are to all suppliments what pit bulls are to dogs, the object to villify in order to go after everything.

One last note the lawsuit that I told Baby Lee about way back finally came to fruition for the people suing pops business. You might have remembered a lady fell down some stairs and my dad had to help her and call an ambulance while her daughter did nothing but screem about how she was going to sue him. No negligence was found regarding the stairs. They had a handrail and good footing. They still ruled we have to give her 30k after spending a bunch on attorneys. Why? Because they legal right to steal that's why. :cuss:

Rant finished

Saulbadguy
08-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Heh. 4 different rants. A BIG_DADDY classic.

Rain Man
08-24-2005, 10:19 AM
I wonder if the ACLU will sue for weight discrimination.

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Heh. 4 different rants. A BIG_DADDY classic.

Lawyers, Pharmaceutical companies and Insurance companies rule the world. Kill them all. :cuss:

:bang:

Chiefnj
08-24-2005, 10:20 AM
I guess a high alkaline diet does not relieve stress.

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2005, 10:25 AM
I guess a high alkaline diet does not relieve stress. ROFL

Apparently not. :)

Soupnazi
08-24-2005, 10:25 AM
This thing is already reminding me of the incident at MU. Blaming his weight before they have the slightest idea of what killed him.

The media and others were ready to go after the University, the coaches, the athletic trainers, etc., claiming they were negligent in working him too hard or not getting him to the hospital fast enough. Lo and behold, the kid had viral meningitis. He was dead as soon as he hit the ground.

jidar1
08-24-2005, 10:32 AM
People need to stop trying to place blame for everything and stop trying to prevent everything.

Not everything needs regulated, sometimes you just gotta realize that shit happens and there is nothing to be done about it.

In this case we have a sport where athletes push themselves to the limits of their bodies, once in a great while the competition results in a fatality. That sounds bad, but in truth everything kills people sometimes. Shit is going to happen.

What this society needs is to stop being so god damned self-righteous and holier-than-thou. Sometimes it's noones fault, leave it alone, let things be. Shit happens.

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2005, 10:57 AM
People need to stop trying to place blame for everything and stop trying to prevent everything.

Not everything needs regulated, sometimes you just gotta realize that shit happens and there is nothing to be done about it.

In this case we have a sport where athletes push themselves to the limits of their bodies, once in a great while the competition results in a fatality. That sounds bad, but in truth everything kills people sometimes. Shit is going to happen.

What this society needs is to stop being so god damned self-righteous and holier-than-thou. Sometimes it's noones fault, leave it alone, let things be. Shit happens.

But is it saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafe?

Got this out of the chronical

"Yes, it could be totally unrelated to his weight, but the fact remains that he was 6-3 and he weighed 310 pounds and probably should have been 210 pounds," said Dr. Joyce Harp, a University of North Carolina endocrinologist who recently did a study calculating the BMIs of all NFL players and found that almost all players qualified as overweight or obese.

Rain Man
08-24-2005, 10:59 AM
I bet Joyce Harp has never met a football player. That "study" was stupid.

WisChief
08-24-2005, 11:12 AM
http://www.sph.unc.edu/galleries/portraits_internal/harp_joyce.jpg

Joyce Harp, MD
Link to Research Interests

Contact Information:
jharp@email.unc.edu
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
School of Public Health
2202 McGavran-Greenberg Hall
CB# 7400
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7400
phone: 919-966-5445
fax: 919-966-7216

Summary of Research Interests
Associate Professor, Department of Nutrition and Medicine. (MD, Tulane Medical School, 1984) Dr. Harp's research interests focus on molecular signals that regulate adipocyte formation and on identification of new pharmaceutical approaches for the treatment of obesity in humans. She directs the clinical weight management program at UNC Hospitals. She teaches nutrition to the medical students. Dr. Harp is a member of the American Diabetes Association, American Society of Nutritional Sciences, American Medical Association, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the North American Association for the Study of Obesity.

go bo
08-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Lawyers, Pharmaceutical companies and Insurance companies rule the world. Kill them all. :cuss:

:bang:hey now...

lawyers are like dogs...

there's your pit bull, your rottie, and your basic shark...

now, they're mostly sharks, but there's a few decent people here and there...

like amno, turno, patto, and several other posters that are lawyers, they're still pretty good guys...

it's really just a few ****ed up ones (well, maybe more than a few) that make them all look bad...

and i agree with you, bd, using the bmi on nfl players is absurd...

bmi is calculated based on weight and height and assumes a "normal" level of muscular development...

nfl players have huge amounts of muscle on their bodies...

and most have a very low percentage of body fat (obesity is body fact, right?)...

if you factor in those things, the actual bmi for nfl players is most likely perfectly normal...

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2005, 11:18 AM

The good little doctors do whatever they are told. A couple months back I was taking out a big life insurance policy out on myself. The insurance company wanted me to be checked out by their doctor so I go to his office for a blood test and other stuff. The doctor uses this BMI and tells me I am overweight and he has to put that down. BTW at that time I was 6'3" 220. I tell him he can't use that to determine if I am overweight because I lift weights 4x a week and have for years. I then proceed to tell him I am at exactly 10% bodyfat which was tested two days before I came to his office. Keep in mind I am sitting on the table with my shirt off sporting a 6 pack. He tells me that doesn't make any difference that I need to be at 210 or less to considered fit. I tell him he is a f'n idiot and walk out of the office and don't get a policy. The agent contacts me later to tell me there would be additional expense because I am a smoker. I actually smoke maybe 3 cigars a month. I am like forget it.

Point is I am not big boned at all. I can't imagine this guy getting under 250 under any circumstances if he is lifting, maybe even 280.

Kyle401
08-24-2005, 11:19 AM

That "study" would have found Kawika Mitchell to be obese at 6'1" 253 lbs (BMI 33.4) and Greg Wesley to be overweight at 6' 2" 206 lbs (BMI 26.4). How this ever gained national media attention is beyond me.

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2005, 11:25 AM
hey now...

lawyers are like dogs...

there's your pit bull, your rottie, and your basic shark...

now, they're mostly sharks, but there's a few decent people here and there...

like amno, turno, patto, and several other posters that are lawyers, they're still pretty good guys...

it's really just a few ****ed up ones (well, maybe more than a few) that make them all look bad...

I know I am just venting because lawyers just stole close to 50k from us if you consider legal expenses too. :cuss:

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2005, 11:31 AM
That "study" would have found Kawika Mitchell to be obese at 6'1" 253 lbs (BMI 33.4) and Greg Wesley to be overweight at 6' 2" 206 lbs (BMI 26.4). How this ever gained national media attention is beyond me.

BMI is used by insurance companies to legally discriminate. Executives just go if use body fat as a measurement we will get X amount of dollars but if we use the BMI we will make Y amount of dollars which is higher. What I am going to have to do next year after the superbowl is quit smoking cigars for 5 months. I will quit training in the gym for a month and just do cardio, eat vegtables and whey protein to get my body down under 210 just so I can have a life insurance policy and not get screwed in the process. I absolutely refuse to pay these ****s a premium.

MOhillbilly
08-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Could have been alot of things(Sanfranplayer),nice job of these "chicken littles" to tell us(and everyone else) how we should live & die.

Let the COACH AND TRAINERS AND PLAYERS regulate there own body types for shitsake!
Always someone in someone elses buisness.:cuss:

I bet alot of these fools were the little MFers who would snitch on you just to get praise from the teacher.

I say we all wait for them in the bathroom.:mad:

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2005, 12:40 PM
I say we all wait for them in the bathroom.:mad:

Ah the good ol days. :)

BigRedChief
08-24-2005, 12:48 PM
posted on nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8762911

go bo
08-24-2005, 12:52 PM
I know I am just venting because lawyers just stole close to 50k from us if you consider legal expenses too. :cuss:did they get a judgment against you, or was that a settlement?

based on what you said, i don't quite understand why your dad would be liable (stairs in good shape and handrail in place) for the clumsy oaf...

but whatever the reason, that really sucks that you had to pay anything at all, and the lawyers fees suck too...

jiveturkey
08-24-2005, 12:56 PM
So is 60% of the country really obese or is that stat based on the BMI crap.

I know that there's a lot of fatties out there but 60% always seemed a little high.

morphius
08-24-2005, 01:06 PM
So is 60% of the country really obese or is that stat based on the BMI crap.

I know that there's a lot of fatties out there but 60% always seemed a little high.
Yup, BMI...

http://win.niddk.nih.gov/statistics/#howare

morphius
08-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Damn I hate the BMI, there is no way I should weigh less then 160 to be "healthy".

WisChief
08-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Damn I hate the BMI, there is no way I should weigh less then 160 to be "healthy".

Mine is 27 and that puts me as "overweight". Complete bull - just ask Phobia - I'm not quite "Mark" skinny, but.... ROFL

An expert panel convened by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) in cooperation with the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), both part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) identified overweight as a BMI of 25–29.9 kg/m², and obesity as a BMI of 30 kg/m² or greater. However, overweight and obesity are not mutually exclusive, since people who are obese are also overweight.[1] Defining overweight as a BMI of 25 or greater is consistent with the recommendations of the World Health Organization <[2] and most other countries.

morphius
08-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Mine is 27 and that puts me as "overweight". Complete bull - just ask Phobia - I'm not quite "Mark" skinny, but.... ROFL
The one cute girl on the floor here looked at me after I lost a lot of weight and said, "You're not planning on losing any more, are you?". When I replied "No", she just said "Good.". So I figured I was at about the right weight for me, and on the verge of too skinny, LOL!

Simplex3
08-24-2005, 01:49 PM
The stupid thing is that BMI doesn't equate to fat or not. BMI is purely about MASS. The theory is that it is just as hard for the heart to pump blood through muscle as it is fat, so mass is bad no matter what type of mass it is. I'm firmly in the "that's bulls**t" camp myself.

What's so f**ked up about the BMI argument is that the media picked that up as an obesity measurement and now people are running like hell with that. Even supposed "medical experts" now claim that it's an obesity measurement. Leave it to the media to not understand something and run with it anyway and science to play that misunderstanding for funding.

Amnorix
08-24-2005, 01:58 PM
did they get a judgment against you, or was that a settlement?

based on what you said, i don't quite understand why your dad would be liable (stairs in good shape and handrail in place) for the clumsy oaf...

but whatever the reason, that really sucks that you had to pay anything at all, and the lawyers fees suck too...

Ditto that.

Hammock Parties
08-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Pretty sure Priest Holmes is overweight according to BMI.

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Ditto that.

Not exactly sure I just could tell pops was irritated when I was talking to him on the phone so I asked what's up and he said they lost 30k to that lady that fell. I just dropped it because I'll start going off and make things worse so I just told him I was sorry to hear that and let him vent. Funny thing was her daughter was there to help her if she needed it and didn't before of after the incident.

KCJake
08-24-2005, 02:11 PM
This is pretty much the worst idea ever.

BIG_DADDY
08-24-2005, 04:44 PM
This is pretty much the worst idea ever.

Is it saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafe?

Maybe President Bush can weigh in on this in the next state of the union address. The government really should get involved this is very dangerous stuff.