PDA

View Full Version : Buckhalter done for the year, again.

Coach
08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Eagles RB Buckhalter has season-ending surgery

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

For the third time in four seasons, and for a second straight year, Philadelphia Eagles tailback Correll Buckhalter has undergone season-ending knee surgery.

The fifth-year veteran, whose career could be ended by his latest injury, underwent surgery Tuesday to repair a torn right patella tendon. He had surgery on the same tendon last year after sustaining an injury in preseason. Early in camp, he re-injured the knee, and an examination Monday by noted Birmingham, Ala.-based orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews revealed the new tear.

Team officials last week conceded to ESPN.com that they were concerned about the latest injury and broadly hinted it could be season-ending. Andrews had recommended earlier that Buckhlalter receive treatment and rehabilitation on the knee for a week and then have it re-examined.

When the Eagles did not offer an update on Buckhalter's status Tuesday, after his visit with Andrews a day earlier, it was viewed as an ominous sign. An announcement of the surgery then came on Wednesday morning.

Losing Buckhalter for the third time in his five-year career leaves the Eagles thin again at tailback, where fourth-year veteran Brian Westbrook is the starter. Rookie Ryan Moats, a third-round draft choice who has performed well in camp and in the preseason, and third-year veteran Reno Mahe, mostly a special teams player, are the backups.

Beyond the depth concerns, the Eagles lack a big, physical tailback. Coaches had hoped that Buckhalter, a tough inside runner with good power, would provide that element. It is possible now that Philadelphia, which has been quietly considering its options given the potential loss of Buckhalter for the year, will sign a veteran free agent.

Veteran Dorsey Levens, who played well for the Eagles last year in a reserve role, could be among the players considered.

A fourth-round choice in the 2001 draft, Buckhalter rushed for 586 yards as a rookie. But the former Nebraska star tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee the following April during a mini-camp practice and missed the entire 2002 campaign. He returned for the '03 season and gained 542 yards, then suffered the patella tendon injury last summer.

Despite his recurring knee injuries, the club re-signed Buckhalter this spring when he was an unrestricted free agent, giving him a one-year, $550,000 contract.

In 30 games, including 11 starts, Buckhalter has carried 255 times for 1,128 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also has 23 receptions for 262 yards and one touchdown.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2141805

Mr. Laz
08-24-2005, 11:16 AM
dude career should be about done now shouldn't it?

just too fragile

alanm
08-24-2005, 11:21 AM
It's a damn shame. He's a good back. You know I don't think he ever missed a game when he was at Nebraska. All the problems started when he went to Philly. :shake:

RedThat
08-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Damn, he had the potential to be a good RB. I dislike seeing guys with talent have their careers wasted because of injuries. Buckhalter seems like Slymo, except, he's at the RB position.

alpha_omega
08-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Another reason why Fantasy Football drafts should not be conducted in August.

DTLB58
08-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Another reason why Fantasy Football drafts should not be conducted in August.

How true. I have signed up for two leagues on-line (Yahoo and NFL.COM) and scheduled my live drafts for Labor day weekend. And in my private league I run locally we NEVER draft until the night before the season starts and don't require keepers to be named till two nights before the draft.

Now, for the Buckhalter issue, This guy was coming back from knee surgery so everyone should have been skeptical to begin with and since he hadn't done anything to speak of in camp or the pre-season yet anyways nobody should have drafted this guy already. :shake:

Now with this info coming out today I am thinking stronger about keeping Westbrook.