PDA

View Full Version : The Strategy Behind NOT Palying Bell In Pre-season Games

petegz28
08-24-2005, 12:00 PM
At least in my mind.....they figure he is going to get hurt or think there might be a good chance. So why not play other guys to figure out who can step in and take his place?

Jsut a hunch but it seems rather logical.

milkman
08-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Wow!

Did you come up with this all on your own.

You're a freakin' genious(CPS)!

jspchief
08-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Couldn't you apply the same "logic" to every other starter and bench them all in the interest of finding good back-ups?

Mr. Kotter
08-24-2005, 12:08 PM
That may be a part of it.

I think the bigger part is they want him 100% healthy, and familiar with his role as OLB in Gun's scheme....in order to PREVENT a recurrence of injury and to simply protect him for the regular season--especially that first month.

htismaqe
08-24-2005, 12:10 PM
I've heard several people (Rhonda Moss, Mitch Holthus, etc.) say that Bell uses his body like a human missile, without regard for his own safety sometimes.

jspchief
08-24-2005, 12:12 PM
That may be a part of it.

I think the bigger part is they want him 100% healthy, and familiar with his role as OLB in Gun's scheme....in order to PREVENT a recurrence of injury and to simply protect him for the regular season--especially that first month.How is not getting any game experience helping him get more familiar with his role in Gun's scheme? Do you really think practice time is more valuable than real game experience?

Mr. Kotter
08-24-2005, 12:13 PM
I've heard several people (Rhonda Moss, Mitch Holthus, etc.) say that Bell uses his body like a human missile, without regard for his own safety sometimes.

Yeah, they may be tryin' to coach him to be a bit less wreckless. I hope that doesn't translate into being timid.

Mr. Kotter
08-24-2005, 12:16 PM
How is not getting any game experience helping him get more familiar with his role in Gun's scheme? Do you really think practice time is more valuable than real game experience?

Practice time, for a veteran player....is more valuable than real game experience, IMO. If he were a rookie or very young player, I'd agree with you. But he's not. We know what he's capable, of so does he. If he's not ABSOLUTELY 100%, I'd rather they play it safe with him. JMHO.

petegz28
08-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Couldn't you apply the same "logic" to every other starter and bench them all in the interest of finding good back-ups?

Well I would say probably because a lot of those starters don't have the same health-concerns by the coaching staff as Bell does.

So kiss the fatest part of me ass! :)

Kclee
08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
I've heard several people say that Bell uses his body like a human missile, without regard for his own safety sometimes.

Chicks say the same thing about me in the bedroom.

I don't know what to think of Bell yet. Does anyone really think they hold him back so he doesn't end up killing our guys on offense? Or does he have some injury? Seeing him play well next game will ease my mind alot.

Abba-Dabba
08-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Why take the risk of injury to our best defensive player? It's not like we have many decent defensive players to spare.

jspchief
08-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Why take the risk of injury to our best defensive player? It's not like we have many decent defensive players to spare.What does Pat Surtain have to do with any of this?

milkman
08-24-2005, 01:14 PM
What does Pat Surtain have to do with any of this?

I would agree with Saggysack.

If Bell is healthy, he is going to make every aspect of this D better, from the front 4, to the LB corps, to the secondary.

Iowanian
08-24-2005, 01:17 PM
There is no strategy.....His shoulder is bad and they're either afraid he is still hurt, or saving him for the season, because they don't think the shoulder will hold up.

Hopefully, the med staff has bulked up the supply of cortizone and syringes.

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 01:22 PM
There is no strategy.....His shoulder is bad and they're either afraid he is still hurt, or saving him for the season, because they don't think the shoulder will hold up.

Hopefully, the med staff has bulked up the supply of cortizone and syringes.

I agree...why waste him, if in fact he does have a bum shoulder, until it really counts.

Iowanian
08-24-2005, 01:31 PM
If he's only good for 300 contacts this year....I'd just assume they be vs the Jets, Raiders, Broncos and Eagles.

I'm not a chicken little and I think he could still be here for the season...It could come around by season and we could see him play 19 games for the Chiefs.

I don't think there is any "strategery" involved....he's dinged, or has a bum shoulder they'll be fighting all season.

Get the Cortizone Sept 11, and turn him loose.

jspchief
08-24-2005, 01:34 PM
I don't think there is any "strategery" involved....he's dinged, or has a bum shoulder they'll be fighting all season.

Thats pretty much what I think too. It has nothing to do with strategy, and everything to do with the fact that the guy is simply injured.

Dave Lane
08-24-2005, 02:19 PM

They maybe protecting other players as well.

Dave

Chiefnj
08-24-2005, 02:56 PM
They maybe protecting other players as well.

Dave

Protect them from having guilt over breaking Bell's shoulder?

Wallcrawler
08-24-2005, 11:21 PM
When the Chiefs OTAs were starting up, I had read where they were sitting Bell out because he couldnt manage his intensity.

Then the incident where OL Jeremy Parquet was mouthing off, and Bell just speared into him and slammed him into the ground.

Look.

Youre Dick Vermiel. Youre a nice guy, you like to laugh and hug your players, and sing the "I love you, you love me" song all day long. Violence is not something that youre accustomed to dealing with on your team. Your bottom feeding defense is a testament to that fact.

Most of your players on offense are over 30 years old, and an injury to someone in that group could really spell disaster, because the offense is still the strongest part of this team.

Enter Kendrell Bell. One of the hardest hitting linebackers in the league, who has trouble toning it down to practice speed. He's fired up, pissed off, and bodyslamming players into the ground if they look at him funny.

Right now, if youre Dick Vermiel, you dont want a loose cannon that hits as hard as Bell does running loose on the practice field and get someone hurt.

I think thats what is going on, just my opinion. Bell is one of those intense guys that when he steps on the field, he leaves everything out there. No regard for his own safety, let alone the guy he's trying to knock into the sixth row.

Maybe the guy has a bad shoulder.

Either way, there has been way too much BS flying around just because Bell has not played in the meaningless pre-season games, a period where teams all around the league are losing their best players right and left.

I say save the guy for when the games count. He has not missed a practice. Not one.

They just havent let him hit anybody is all. Everyone seems to think that it is for Bell's safety, but from the things I hear about this guy's aggression and intensity level, combined with seeing film of him play in the games, now Im not so sure.

The Chiefs dont need any offensive players hurt, nor do they need Bell hurt.

If holding Bell out of contact drills ensures both positive outcomes until he figures out how to practice the way the Chiefs practice, and not the way the Blitzburgh Steelers practice, go with it.

Its just pre-season, people.

Hammock Parties
08-25-2005, 06:34 AM
yadda yadda

Excellent post, WC. The regular season can't get here fast enough, so we can answer all these retarded questions.

StcChief
08-25-2005, 07:20 AM
Save him for when it counts. Coaches know he can play LB position in Gunn scheme.

Practice and rest shoulder for now.
PS is for evaluating players.