PDA

View Full Version : Help a charcoal BBQ retard...

Fire Me Boy!
08-24-2005, 01:18 PM
OK... so I now have three grills on my back porch. My smoker, obviously for smoking. My propane grill for when I want a grilled steak in 15 minutes. And now, my new charcoal grill for when I really want to grill.

Now... I haven't grilled on charcoal in YEARS, and I wasn't very good at it then, IIRC. So... any of you charcoal grillmasters out there want to offer some tips? I did buy a chimney starter, so getting the coals going isn't a big deal -- I don't like lighter-fluid, or lighter-fluid treated charcoal.

Also, any place around the I can get lump charcoal?

Phobia
08-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Walmart, Ace hardware, tons of places carry lump.

ptlyon
08-24-2005, 01:21 PM
She's lump! She's lump! She's in your head!

jspchief
08-24-2005, 01:24 PM
She's lump! She's lump! She's in your head!Those guys never got the recognition they deserved.

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Three grills, alright...it's not a party until you've got all 3 fired at once. Ive done that with my 2 (gas, smoker)...

redbrian
08-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Price Chopper also carries lump, which is the way to go when grilling.

Something I've been using here of late to start my charcoal is the Strike-A-Fire from diamond. It's like an over grown match.

jspchief
08-24-2005, 01:44 PM
She's lump! She's lump! She's in your head!Damn you! :cuss:

Must get song out of head....:banghead:

Lump lingered last in line for brains
And the one she got was sort of rotten and insane

osumatt
08-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Good start with the Chimney. Lighter fluid sux.
Lump hardwood charcoal is another "must have." The Kingsford briquettes are the devil.
If you're not going to be smoking anything on this grill, I'd say a thermometer isn't that imperative. Just make sure your air vent(s) are at the right "openage" to properly adjust the heat so things don't burn on the outside and are raw on the inside. Keep the grill grates as clean as you can. Using a grill brush after every use while the grate is still hot does the trick. Rub a little cooking oil on them when they're cold before you stoke up the fire so your food won't stick as much.
When doing a good cut of steak, please, please, please don't mess with it too much. Just a little extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Let it sit for 30 minutes+ and then throw it on the grill. Nothin' better than that.
Keep the lid closed as much as possible to prohibit flame-ups. The less oxygen in the chamber will prohibit this and still keep the fire nice and hot.

That's all I got right now. If I remember anything else, I'll post.

Happy Grilling,

siberian khatru
08-24-2005, 01:46 PM
I can get lump from local Kroger. It's everywhere.

I, too, once got frustrated with charcoal grilling and did the gas thing for several years. But I never really enjoyed the gas, and I gave charcoal one last try a couple of years ago. Buying a good stainless steel grill helped, but I find the chimney to be the biggest difference. Being able to get charcoal started quickly (its' ready to go in 20 minutes) and easily replenish the supply for long grills made it a much more enjoyable experience.

I'm never going back to gas. Never.

Also, I'd recommend Stephen Raichlen's books on grilling. Not only do they have good recipes, they have some very good grilling techniques. I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761120149/qid=1124912762/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-0424381-8288764?v=glance&s=books

jspchief
08-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Temperature control is my biggest problem while charcoal grilling. I never know what to do with the vents to increase/decrease the heat.

Dartgod
08-24-2005, 01:51 PM
So what valid reason do you have for not entering the BBQ contest at Nzoner's?

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Temperature control is my biggest problem while charcoal grilling. I never know what to do with the vents to increase/decrease the heat.

open vents = increase oxygen which feeds fire increasing heat
close vents = decrease oxygen which starves fire decreasing heat

Halfcan
08-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Get you a charcoal lighter box. Looks like a tall tin can with open ends. It has a rack in the middle to hold the charcoal. You stuff newspaper in the bottom and the flame burns upward to get the coals ready. Then dump into your grill. We use it at the games so we don't have to bring lighter fluid-works great and only takes about ten minutes and the coals are ready.

Fire Me Boy!
08-24-2005, 02:00 PM
When doing a good cut of steak, please, please, please don't mess with it too much. Just a little extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Let it sit for 30 minutes+ and then throw it on the grill. Nothin' better than that.
Thanks for the other tips, but I got the cooking covered... I'm a pretty damn good cook if I do say so myself. Salt prpper, oil and a little garlic is my usual good steak fixin's. Not like the damn father-in-law who insists on marinating EVERYTHING.

Bastard once marinated my filet mignon. :banghead: I damn near kicked his ass.

That was, however, the LAST time he ever marinated anything. I had brought over these steaks, bacon wrapped filet mignons -- not the fake kind either. Anyway, there was pie but they had no whipped cream so I took 10 minutes to drive to the store and back. When I got back, all of the filets were sitting in red wine, worchester sauce, etc. I flipped out! Told him never to do that again -- a marinade is okay for a cheap cut of meat, but when I bring good steaks I want MEAT flavored meat.

In any case... he doesn't even marinate my cheap steaks anymore. It's better that way, really.

ptlyon
08-24-2005, 02:00 PM
open vents = increase oxygen which feeds fire increasing heat
close vents = decrease oxygen which starves fire decreasing heat

If you question this statement, put a Hefty bag over your head and pull on the strings tightly for about 4 minutes.

Fire Me Boy!
08-24-2005, 02:01 PM
So what valid reason do you have for not entering the BBQ contest at Nzoner's?
Uh.... three jobs, one of which is like two as I've already put in about 14 hours of overtime. One is overnights on weekends.

Fire Me Boy!
08-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Get you a charcoal lighter box. Looks like a tall tin can with open ends. It has a rack in the middle to hold the charcoal. You stuff newspaper in the bottom and the flame burns upward to get the coals ready. Then dump into your grill. We use it at the games so we don't have to bring lighter fluid-works great and only takes about ten minutes and the coals are ready.
Ummmm.... a chimney starter?

I did buy a chimney starter, so getting the coals going isn't a big deal -- I don't like lighter-fluid, or lighter-fluid treated charcoal.

:thumb:

MOhillbilly
08-24-2005, 02:03 PM
go buy some woofchips.
Charcoal is the lazymans fuel.

KCTitus
08-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Uh.... three jobs, one of which is like two as I've already put in about 14 hours of overtime. One is overnights on weekends.

So when is the third job?

Fire Me Boy!
08-24-2005, 02:04 PM
go buy some woofchips.
Charcoal is the lazymans fuel.
Woofchips? Little pieces of dog?

Fire Me Boy!
08-24-2005, 02:05 PM
So when is the third job?
Church choir director, Wednesday nights/Sunday mornings.

ptlyon
08-24-2005, 02:06 PM
...Sunday mornings.

Not a real fan I see...

siberian khatru
08-24-2005, 02:08 PM
When I got back, all of the filets were sitting in red wine, worchester sauce, etc.

:shake:

The horror. The horror.

Phobia
08-24-2005, 02:10 PM
You should get you one of them there coffee can things with vents and stuff. You dump the coal in there and you have some newspapers on the bottom. Them there contraptions sure do work good, buddy. You should get you one.

tomahawk kid
08-24-2005, 02:10 PM

So, do you stuff the newspaper INTO the chimney and put the coals on top or put the coals in and put the newspaper UNDER the chimney itself?

Fire Me Boy!
08-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Not a real fan I see...
No season tickets, although as soon as I can quit the church. I tape the games, have 101 on the radio already set so as soon as I jump in the car (which is usually JUST before kickoff) and then when I get home I wait for a break, timeout, change of possession, etc. then RUN in the house, which I've usually set a timer on the TV to turn on so I don't have to wait for the bigscreen to warm up.

Fire Me Boy!
08-24-2005, 02:13 PM
You should get you one of them there coffee can things with vents and stuff. You dump the coal in there and you have some newspapers on the bottom. Them there contraptions sure do work good, buddy. You should get you one.
ROFL

ptlyon
08-24-2005, 02:16 PM
No season tickets, although as soon as I can quit the church. I tape the games, have 101 on the radio already set so as soon as I jump in the car (which is usually JUST before kickoff) and then when I get home I wait for a break, timeout, change of possession, etc. then RUN in the house, which I've usually set a timer on the TV to turn on so I don't have to wait for the bigscreen to warm up.

No life I see...

j/k

Fire Me Boy!
08-24-2005, 02:16 PM
The Wal-Mart here doesn't carry lump charcoal... so, besides lump -- what should I look for in lump charcoal, the natural or the kiln dried wood lump charcoal?

htismaqe
08-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Kiln-dried is natural.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Put the newspaper UNDER the chimney.

Ninjaman
08-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Heat control -

Pile the white coals so you have one side warm and one side hot.

Sear the steak on hot side for 6 min on each side then move to warm side till done.

http://www.epinions.com/book-review-DC2-29DD774B-3A053A90-prod3

ptlyon
08-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Sear the steak on hot side for 6 min on each side then move to warm side till done.

Should be done then unless it's as big as your thigh.

Biohazard
08-24-2005, 03:53 PM
My first experience with a gas grill was less than desirable! Needless to say the hair on my arms and face were dramatically shortened!

P.S. the neighbors made it out just fine!

Fire Me Boy!
08-24-2005, 03:53 PM
No life I see...

j/k
You're not kidding... and you're not wrong. Completely and totally right, actually. No life at all.

:sulk:

BUT! I have three grills.

penguinz
08-24-2005, 04:01 PM
The Wal-Mart here doesn't carry lump charcoal... so, besides lump -- what should I look for in lump charcoal, the natural or the kiln dried wood lump charcoal?
Don;t be a lazy bitch. Make Your Own Charcoal! (http://www.velvitoil.com/Charmake.htm). :thumb:

Fire Me Boy!
08-26-2005, 10:24 PM
So I found some lump charcoal... assuming it doesn't rain all day tomorrow, I'll be grilling on the charcoal grill tomorrow night. Nothing special, just some burgers and brats, but my wife has never eaten food off a real grill, so it should be a treat for her.

Logical
08-26-2005, 11:14 PM
So I found some lump charcoal... assuming it doesn't rain all day tomorrow, I'll be grilling on the charcoal grill tomorrow night. Nothing special, just some burgers and brats, but my wife has never eaten food off a real grill, so it should be a treat for her.Funny thing is burgers are one of the most difficult challenges on a charcoal fired grill. Keeping the grease from causing flameups from the coals is one of the most difficult coal challenges IMO. A tip on brats is to let the fire char the outside, then boil them in beer to where the char boils off. Hmm, hmm good.

Fire Me Boy!
08-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Funny thing is burgers are one of the most difficult challenges on a charcoal fired grill. Keeping the grease from causing flameups from the coals is one of the most difficult coal challenges IMO. A tip on brats is to let the fire char the outside, then boil them in beer to where the char boils off. Hmm, hmm good.
Please elaborate on the brats... I don't care for them, but the wife likes 'em. Consequently, I don't have a lot of experience grilling/cooking brats. Any help there would be appreciated!

:thumb:

Phobia
08-26-2005, 11:28 PM
brats are unbelievable easy. Just don't puncture the casing to turn them.

Fire Me Boy!
08-26-2005, 11:29 PM
brats are unbelievable easy. Just don't puncture the casing to turn them.
I knew that much... actually, I can't think of ANYTHING on the grill you should puncture. I just didn't nkow the bit about boiling them... so, grill them till they're charred, THEN boil in beer?

Fire Me Boy!
08-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Here's my tip for good burgers... put about 1/2 tablespoon of butter (in patty form) smack in the middle of the burger. The butter will melt, making it REALLY juicy.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 11:31 PM
I don't know anything about Jim's weenie tip. I like brat straight off the grill.

Fire Me Boy!
08-26-2005, 11:32 PM
I don't know anything about Jim's weenie tip.
I promise you, this will come back again in another thread.

Logical
08-26-2005, 11:38 PM
Please elaborate on the brats... I don't care for them, but the wife likes 'em. Consequently, I don't have a lot of experience grilling/cooking brats. Any help there would be appreciated!

:thumb:I learned this from some German friends in Davenport. You cook the Bratwurst until they are charred all the way then you boil them in beer until the Char boils off. Serve them with buns and good hot German mustard. Primo. Sauerkraut is optional but also a nice addition.

Fire Me Boy!
08-26-2005, 11:40 PM
I learned this from some German friends in Davenport. You cook the Bratwurst until they are charred all the way then you boil them in beer until the Char boils off. Serve them with buns and good hot German mustard. Primo. Sauerkraut is optional but also a nice addition.
Any particular beer, or just what you have? I've got some Amber Bock in my fridge... I give that a try tonight.

Logical
08-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Any particular beer, or just what you have? I've got some Amber Bock in my fridge... I give that a try tonight.They used some sort of German beer, but I just used Miller, did not see that it made much difference.

Ninjaman
08-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Do a press test on the steak. You could also use a thermometer. Forget to post this. It's better than going with time.

http://www.txbeef.org/cooking_it_right.php3
http://et.sdsu.edu/radair/world_wide_weber/steak_doneness.htm

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Do a press test on the steak. You could also use a thermometer. Forget to post this. It's better than going with time.

http://et.sdsu.edu/radair/world_wide_weber/steak_doneness.htm
Cooking and donenexx is not the issue for me... I'm looking specifically for tips for grilling on charcoal. I'm a pretty accomplished cook, but I haven't used a charcoal grill in years, and even then I wasn't very good. As for telling when stuff is done, I'm WAY past that.

Thanks, though. :thumb:

Ninjaman
08-27-2005, 12:18 AM
http://busycooks.about.com/library/print02/nhowtogrill.htm

luv
08-27-2005, 12:24 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

He finally admits he's retarded!

:p

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 12:46 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

He finally admits he's retarded!

:p

:moon:

luv
08-27-2005, 01:07 AM
:moon:
Nice a$$.

ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 01:20 AM
Nice a$$.

ROFL
Yeah? It'd prob'ly be better without you riding it!

luv
08-27-2005, 01:23 AM
Yeah? It'd prob'ly be better without you riding it!
What can I say? I keep you on your toes. :p

You love me, and you know it. C'mon. Admit it. :D

luv
08-27-2005, 01:24 AM
:D

Not to get off the subject, but does this smiley remind anyone else of an old oriental guy with buck teeth?

Okay, on will regular posting....

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 01:25 AM
What can I say? I keep you on your toes. :p

You love me, and you know it. C'mon. Admit it. :D
That's step 11. I'm on 4.

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 01:25 AM

Not to get off the subject, but does this smiley remind anyone else of an old oriental guy with buck teeth?

ROFL :LOL:

luv
08-27-2005, 01:26 AM
That's step 11. I'm on 4.
I thought it was step 2 or something.

Step 1 - Denial
Step 2 - Acceptance

Or am I just trying for a quicker recovery?

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 01:28 AM
"We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves." I'm on a 12-step program. And considering how much I avoid exercise, it's not going well.

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 01:45 AM

Do you have anything productive to add? I mean, is it even possible to bake your sweet loaves on a grill?

luv
08-27-2005, 01:53 AM
Do you have anything productive to add? I mean, is it even possible to bake your sweet loaves on a grill?
Would they then be considered burnt ends?

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 02:00 AM
Would they then be considered burnt ends?
Nothing productive, then?

luv
08-27-2005, 02:06 AM
Sorry, not a grilling genious here, either. I still use the old school lighter fluid. I buy the hickory charcoal, throw my stuff on the grill, and move around until I find the right spot (not too hot and not too cold).

luv
08-27-2005, 02:07 AM
I could help prepare the food for the grill, make any side items, and make dessert. Does that count as productive?

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 02:09 AM
I could help prepare the food for the grill, make any side items, and make dessert. Does that count as productive?
:harumph:

luv
08-27-2005, 02:12 AM
:harumph:
Fine, none of my deviled eggs, macaroni salad, potato salad, or pineapple/coconut cake for you then!

I put together a pretty good fruit salad, too.

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 02:15 AM
Fine, none of my deviled eggs, macaroni salad, potato salad, or pineapple/coconut cake for you then!

I put together a pretty good fruit salad, too.
ROFL

No offense, REALLY, but nothing there sounds good. I don't care for deviled eggs, macaroni salad, and HATE mayo and/or mustard (for potato salad), and while coconut tastes good, I can't stand the texture, so I don't eat it (it seems like little fibers made of sand). BUT, if you used coconut flavoring in that cake, that would be good!

luv
08-27-2005, 02:18 AM
ROFL

No offense, REALLY, but nothing there sounds good. I don't care for deviled eggs, macaroni salad, and HATE mayo and/or mustard (for potato salad), and while coconut tastes good, I can't stand the texture, so I don't eat it (it seems like little fibers made of sand). BUT, if you used coconut flavoring in that cake, that would be good!
The only added coconut is in the icing I make. I have a base icing that I'm famous for at work. I add crushed pinapple and coconut flakes to it. The cake is make with pinapple juice and coconut cream pudding mix. I could skip the coconut flakes in the icing.

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 02:20 AM
The only added coconut is in the icing I make. I have a base icing that I'm famous for at work. I add crushed pinapple and coconut flakes to it. The cake is make with pinapple juice and coconut cream pudding mix. I could skip the coconut flakes in the icing.
Now THAT sounds good... bring it over. And don't forget those sweet loaves!

I'll meet you at Taco Bell at the mall... remember, ask for Amanda Fondel! :p

luv
08-27-2005, 02:21 AM
I would have said baked beans, but I can't outdo my dad on those. That plus those could be considered something to be prepared for the grill. Unless you prefer them in a crock pot.

luv
08-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Now THAT sounds good... bring it over. And don't forget those sweet loaves!

I'll meet you at Taco Bell at the mall... remember, ask for Amanda Fondel! :p
I'm working on there being less of the sweet loaves. If all goes well, I hope to be ready for New Years. Not that I'm celebrating with anyone special. But to hopefully go out somewhere and maybe get noticed. That would be nice.

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 02:26 AM
I would have said baked beans, but I can't outdo my dad on those. That plus those could be considered something to be prepared for the grill. Unless you prefer them in a crock pot.
I make some damn mean beans myself! :drool:

Beans are SO easy to make REALLY good!

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 02:36 AM
I do the Arthur Bryant's method... start with canned BBQ beans, modify the liquid with some ketchup, bbq sauce, brown sugar, etc. and let the beans sit underneath my ribs/brisket in the smoker for a couple of hours to collect some of that juice. Then chop up some burnt ends and put in with the beans, then cook it down till they're nice and thick!

htismaqe
08-27-2005, 05:41 AM
I learned this from some German friends in Davenport. You cook the Bratwurst until they are charred all the way then you boil them in beer until the Char boils off. Serve them with buns and good hot German mustard. Primo. Sauerkraut is optional but also a nice addition.

God damn that sounds good.

Hog Rider
08-27-2005, 07:09 AM
A weldiing torch gets those little charcol squares hot really fast. By the time you finish lighting your cigarette with the thing, the coals are da*n near ready for droppin on the food.

Abba-Dabba
08-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Rub a little cooking oil on them when they're cold before you stoke up the fire so your food won't stick as much.

I've been using a half of a onion after the grill is hot. Much easier than messing around with oil.