View Full Version : RIP : ‘Sportsman’s Friend’ Harold Ensley dies

ROYC75
08-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Posted on Wed, Aug. 24, 2005
‘Sportsman’s Friend’ Harold Ensley dies
Harold Ensley
By BRENT FRAZEE

The Kansas City Star

Harold Ensley, who brought the outdoors to life for millions of television viewers through his “Sportsman’s Friend” television show, died Wednesday afternoon at his home after a long battle with heart problems. He was 92.

His passing marked the end of a colorful era in Kansas City. The Overland Park man became a household name here, serving as one of fishing’s most visible ambassadors.

His popular TV show was one of the first nationally to feature fishing, and it lasted 48 years — a testament to its popularity. Even after it went off the air following the 2001 season, Ensley wasn’t forgotten.

People would still line up to greet him and exchange fish stories with him at the Kansas City Sportshow, proof of his long-lasting appeal.

“Harold was like ‘sterling’ stamped on silver,” said Dave Perkins, longtime director of the Sportshow. “He was a legend.

“I’ll tell you this. He will be missed. He was one of a kind.

“There won’t be another one like him.”

A memorial service, which is open to the public, will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Overland Park Church of Christ, 13400 W. 119th Street.

As a kid growing up, I watched his show weekly. Met him one time in Amsterdam, Mo at the Bass Buster factory. My dad use to deliever supplies to Bass Busters, owned by Virgil Ward. We all were to go fishing one time and Harold had to bail out. We went out with Virgil, man he knew how to fish too.

philfree
08-24-2005, 10:01 PM
"Gone Fishin
Instead Of Just A Whishing"

I grew up( I use the term loosely.) on Harold Hensley.

PhilFree:arrow: