PDA

View Full Version : Johnson again says he wants chance to start somewhere

RedThat
08-26-2005, 09:07 AM
By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

L.J. is growing. His teammates say so.

Once dubbed a loner, and an occasional pouter, Larry Johnson tears through tacklers, springs to his feet and is the first in the huddle. He’ll be a major contributor to the Chiefs’ offense, offensive coordinator Al Saunders said Thursday. He’s blossomed, Saunders says.

After hearing the group lovefest late Thursday, Johnson, with a straight face, said he hasn’t changed much at all.

“I’ve still got an attitude problem,” he said. “I still feel the same I’ve always felt. I see the draft, I see guys like Cedric Benson, Carnell Williams, all those guys who have a chance to be starters on their teams. I’m just looking for my chance.

“I don’t want to waste three or four years of my prime running behind somebody, period. I don’t care who it is. I feel like I should start somewhere in this league.”

That somebody Johnson runs behind is Priest Holmes, a three-time Pro Bowler who has 13 pages in the Chiefs’ media guide devoted to him. Johnson is friends with Holmes and understands that the man who set an NFL record for touchdowns in a season needs to get his playing time.

Johnson has just spent two long years waiting for his playing time. It came in the second half of 2004, when Holmes was out for the season because of a knee injury. Johnson ran for 541 yards and nine touchdowns in the last six games.

When Holmes worked out just once a day during training camp, Johnson was back with the No. 1 offense. He has bulled his way over defenders and has sharpened his pass-catching skills. Externally, Johnson, a 2002 Heisman Trophy finalist, has tried not to show his frustrations.

“If I internally show it,” Johnson said, “it’s (in) how I run with the ball. I’m a hard runner. When I’m out there trash-talking and trying to run over people and fighting and all of that, that’s my frustrations coming out.

“I’m ready to get my career on the road. There are some goals and things in my career that I want to shoot for as far as Walter Payton’s yardage and Emmitt (Smith) and all those things they got a chance to do. I just want my chance to do it.”

Saunders says Johnson will get his chances this fall. After starting 2004 as the No. 3 running back behind Derrick Blaylock, Johnson has solidified the No. 2 spot and will get significant playing time in Saturday night’s third preseason game against Seattle.

He’s been impressive in the first half of the preseason. Last weekend against Arizona, Johnson had 49 yards in nine carries. Johnson could always run. His senior year at Penn State, he led the nation with 2,087 yards rushing. But in Kansas City’s offense, running backs are asked to do more. They’re pass protectors and pass catchers.

Saunders says he’s noticed a different focus in Johnson this summer.

“He’s matured a lot, as everybody does,” Saunders said. “He understands the system much greater. His work ethic has been outstanding.

“The way he has performed this training camp, we expect him to be a major contributor to this offense.”

When asked what that meant, Saunders said, “It means he will contribute a lot.”

His work, Saunders said, will depend on the opponent. Johnson said he’ll do more passing routes and dabble at fullback. That’s all in the game plan, he said. Johnson is just happy he’s in the game plan.

He said he never blamed anybody, not the coaches, the front office or Holmes. He just blamed the situation. Guard Brian Waters said it was a tough situation for any rookie to handle. And that Johnson has grown from it.

“I’ve seen him since the first day he was here when he was a rookie until now,” Waters said. “And he’s a totally different football player. He’s motivated, he’s hungry, and he runs with passion.”

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 09:09 AM
I kinda hope Priest retires after this year...don't want to lose Larry.

I think it will work out that way anyway.

WisChief
08-26-2005, 09:13 AM

I'll take it a step further and say I'd be okay with LJ getting the vast majority of the work up to the 20. Redzone time, but PH in. LJ wants his td's - get 'em from 20+ out and I think he can.

StcChief
08-26-2005, 09:13 AM
He'll get plenty this year and in future in KC.
I predicate Priest will hang up the cleats after 2005.

Biohazard
08-26-2005, 09:15 AM
I hope he wants to be a starter. If he didn't, I'd question his passion for the game.

BigRedChief
08-26-2005, 09:19 AM
I like to see LJ be more agressive. You want to be the "man" you have to go for it. Just make sure you have the talent to back it up. AKA Steve Young pushing Montana.

jidar1
08-26-2005, 09:19 AM
I doubt Priest retires. RBs at the end of their career, they always say they are going to retire but they rarely do. Priest will probably have to be forced out like all of the rest of them, I just hope we manage to keep LJ on the team while this is playing out.

PRIEST
08-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Priest has said he want's to play two more years,the ten year mile stone.

BigMeatballDave
08-26-2005, 09:27 AM
I say next season, if LJ is actually better than PH in training camp and preseason, start LJ. As long as PH is healthy, I don't think LJ will take his spot 'til '07...

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Taco John should be along shortly to tell us all how Diaper Boy is a cancer and headed for New York.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
08-26-2005, 09:31 AM
I don't think Johnson needs to be talking about breaking any records right now. To mention Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton in terms of what he wants to accomplish might be a little over the top.

Chiefaholic
I want Priest to hang around as long as he wants to. He's actually EARNED my respect with his incredible play on the field and generousity off the field. Larry will get his carries THIS year. But, he won't be "THE MAN" till Priest decides to hand over the spot.

Ultra Peanut
Trade LJ for Scott Fujita!

jiveturkey
08-26-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't think Johnson needs to be talking about breaking any records right now. To mention Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton in terms of what he wants to accomplish might be a little over the top.Do you set goals after you've gotten half way there?

I usually set up my goals prior to setting out after them.

el borracho
08-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Why can't Larry be more like Todd Collins?!!! :deevee:

oldandslow
08-26-2005, 09:42 AM
How long is LJ's contract? Can he leave after 4 or 5 years?

kansas hawk
08-26-2005, 09:42 AM
because larry got skills where todd don't

Biohazard
08-26-2005, 09:54 AM
I cant imagine that chip on the shoulder! Larry is a strong running back and should be given his due!

ChiefsGirl
08-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Personally, I think they should have traded Johnson this offseason and resigned Blaylock to back up Priest.

WisChief
08-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Personally, I think they should have traded Johnson this offseason and resigned Blaylock to back up Priest.
traded for who? or what?

siberian khatru
08-26-2005, 10:02 AM
traded for who? or what?

A 2nd-round pick we could use on a DT.

jiveturkey
08-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Personally, I think they should have traded Johnson this offseason and resigned Blaylock to back up Priest.No teams were interested in Shaun Alexander or Edgrin James in the offseason so why would they have been interested in LJ?

Mr. Laz
08-26-2005, 10:09 AM

lets not get carried away
How long is LJ's contract? Can he leave after 4 or 5 years?
IIRC johnson can void after 5

looks like priest is going to be looking to retire at the same time Johnson is going to be looking for a new contract.

htismaqe
08-26-2005, 10:12 AM
The Seahawks and Colts were looking for 2nd-round picks for their guys...there's NO WAY we'd get a 2nd out of LJ.

Mr. Laz
08-26-2005, 10:14 AM
The Seahawks and Colts were looking for 2nd-round picks for their guys...there's NO WAY we'd get a 2nd out of LJ.

the value of RB's is dropping fast ... too many of them, market is saturated.

Kylo Ren
08-26-2005, 10:14 AM
I'd like Priest to play another year or two after this year. However, I'd like their roles to reverse. After this year, Priest could be #2 and Johnson could be the #1 RB.

WisChief
08-26-2005, 10:16 AM
A 2nd-round pick we could use on a DT.

Uh, that's dumb. we have See a vee

:D

KChiefs1
08-26-2005, 10:22 AM
I still say let LJ run the rock between the 20's & then put Priest in after that...both will get plenty of action this year anyways.

ChiefsOne
08-26-2005, 10:25 AM
I want them both to get 1500 yards this season and Priest get the TD record again.

Hoping to draft both on my Fantasy team this weekend!

KChiefs1
08-26-2005, 10:26 AM

I know this will be sacreligious, but if I was trading anyone it'd be Priest. :)

Mr. Laz
08-26-2005, 10:28 AM
I know this will be sacreligious, but if I was trading anyone it'd be Priest. :)
i doubt we'd get anything for him at this point

maybe if he stays healthy all season and runs for 1500+ yards

ct
08-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Let's wait and see what happens this season before we start annointing LJ next year's starter. I know he can't be happy about it, but sometimes you just gotta deal with the situation you got. Some guys get to go from day 1, others have to be patient and be ready when the time comes. Priest paid his dues before he got out of Jamal's shadow. Lamont Jordan paid his dues before he gets his chance to prove himself as 'da man' in Oakland this year. The list is long...

bringbackmarty
08-26-2005, 10:37 AM
trade lj and five of our lesser known offensive talents (no starters) for richard seymour, and three of new englands lesser known defensive talents.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 10:37 AM
I just want what's best for the team. If we lose LJ we're stuck looking for another franchise RB. Remember all those years without one?

Red Dawg
08-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Priest will only hang the cleats for the following reasoins
1. If he feels next season we will not be contending for a division title.
2. Vermeil is no longer the coach.
3. He misses a bunch of games to injury again.
4. We in the SB.

If none of this happens he'll be back in 06. If he is back then LJ should be trade bait, I don't want his bad attiude on the team and it will be bad if he doesn't start next year.

We will be able to get a number on for him if it came to that.

Katipan
08-26-2005, 10:47 AM
“If I internally show it,” Johnson said, “it’s (in) how I run with the ball. I’m a hard runner. When I’m out there trash-talking and trying to run over people and fighting and all of that, that’s my frustrations coming out.

You could see him talking non stop shit during the Cardinals game. One time it looked like Trent had to nudge him in the huddle to stop talking and listen.

Mr. Laz
08-26-2005, 10:49 AM
You could see him talking non stop shit during the Cardinals game. One time it looked like Trent had to nudge him in the huddle to stop talking and listen.
a little bit of that is good for the team ... we need some tough arrogance

he's gotta keep it under control though

Brock
08-26-2005, 10:55 AM
If none of this happens he'll be back in 06. If he is back then LJ should be trade bait, I don't want his bad attiude on the team and it will be bad if he doesn't start next year.

Absolutely not. At this point, I'd rather keep Johnson and give Priest a nice send-off this year. Unlike some, I don't buy into "this year or never" crap.

King_Chief_Fan
08-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Priest will only hang the cleats for the following reasoins
1. If he feels next season we will not be contending for a division title.
2. Vermeil is no longer the coach.
3. He misses a bunch of games to injury again.
4. We in the SB.

I am a fan of Priest like no other..........but, his health continues to be a question mark. If Priest cannot play more than a half of a seaon and into the playoffs (there is some wishful thinking), he does not have the same value as LJ. LJ has proven he is ready to be the man. The man (Priest)cannot keep the # 1 spot locked up after this year. Be patient LJ. Next year could be the year.

ChiefsGirl
08-26-2005, 11:17 AM
No teams were interested in Shaun Alexander or Edgrin James in the offseason so why would they have been interested in LJ?

Johnson already has a contract and teams wouldn't have to pay him what Alexander and James wanted paid. I'm not sold we've done enough to re-build our defense yet.

Johnson is a product of the best offensive line in the league. Anyone (except Mike Cloud) could run behind them.

Brock
08-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Johnson is a product of the best offensive line in the league. Anyone (except Mike Cloud) could run behind them.

Uh, no. We've thought that before, and that is the kind of thinking that brought us the Donnell Bennett Era.

Katipan
08-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Besides, Johnson doesn't always follow that line, but just plows through whatever defense is in front of him.

go bo
08-26-2005, 11:24 AM
ouch...

i'd almost forgoten how awful our running backs were until we got priest...

KCTitus
08-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Uh, no. We've thought that before, and that is the kind of thinking that brought us the Donnell Bennett Era.

*shudder* Did you have to remind me?

jspchief
08-26-2005, 11:31 AM
I've said all along that LJ won't sign another contract with KC, and I still believe it.

Keeping the guy from even dressing for games for the first year and a half has left a bad taste in his mouth. He should have been getting snaps in his first season, and should have been the #2 last year. Instead the team let Blaylock build a resume to go get his payday, while we continued to piss off our RBotF.

KC has mishandled LJ from day one, and when his time comes to get paid, he won't be able to get out of town fast enough.

BigRedChief
08-26-2005, 11:32 AM
If we win the Super Bowl I don't give a chit. I could endure another 12 years with 1 playoff win with that memory.

We need some factoid geek to check but I also think that 2006 is LJ's last year of his contract. He can void the last year IIRC.

penguinz
08-26-2005, 11:33 AM
LJ should start this year. He is a much more powerful runner than Priest is and can wear down a Defense.

BigRedChief
08-26-2005, 11:33 AM
I've said all along that LJ won't sign another contract with KC, and I still believe it.

Keeping the guy from even dressing for games for the first year and a half has left a bad taste in his mouth. He should have been getting snaps in his first season, and should have been the #2 last year. Instead the team let Blaylock build a resume to go get his payday, while we continued to piss off our RBotF.

KC has mishandled LJ from day one, and when his time comes to get paid, he won't be able to get out of town fast enough.

What he said. :clap:

But I don't blame King Carl for this mistake. This is all on DV and Sanders.

Brock
08-26-2005, 11:34 AM

Keeping the guy from even dressing for games for the first year and a half has left a bad taste in his mouth. He should have been getting snaps in his first season, and should have been the #2 last year. Instead the team let Blaylock build a resume to go get his payday, while we continued to piss of our RBotF.

I agree they've mishandled the situation to a degree, but I don't think LJ will get the opportunity to leave, provided the franchise tag is still in the next CBA.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 11:34 AM
LJ should start this year. He is a much more powerful runner than Priest is and can wear down a Defense.

Wow...this should be an intesting thread.

Anyone agree?

Katipan
08-26-2005, 11:36 AM

Anyone agree?

I agree that he's more powerful.

Chief Faithful
08-26-2005, 11:36 AM
I don't think Johnson needs to be talking about breaking any records right now. To mention Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton in terms of what he wants to accomplish might be a little over the top.

I'm glad LJ feels that way. I like the idea of having LJ play with a giant chip on his shoulder.

BigRedChief
08-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Priest is not Emmitt in Arizona yet. Jeezzz the man is a legend in a Chiefs uniform and has done nothing to tarnish his legacy.

I don't like the dissing of Priest on here. Yeah LJ needs some balls handed to him but that doesn't mean that Priest is already a has been this year.

Chief Faithful
08-26-2005, 11:39 AM
trade lj and five of our lesser known offensive talents (no starters) for richard seymour, and three of new englands lesser known defensive talents.

You must really miss Monty.

Brock
08-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Priest is not Emmitt in Arizona yet. Jeezzz the man is a legend in a Chiefs uniform and has done nothing to tarnish his legacy.

I don't like the dissing of Priest on here. Yeah LJ needs some balls handed to him but that doesn't mean that Priest is already a has been this year.

I'm thankful for Priest Holmes. But he's going on 32. He doesn't figure into any long term plans.

jspchief
08-26-2005, 11:44 AM

Anyone agree?No. When Priest is healthy, behind our line, he is the best RB in the NFL. Period. Until he get's hurt, or shows some significant sign of slowing down, he should be the clear #1.

I have no problem with mixing LJ in... A lot of NFL teams are getting 5-10 carries to a second back. But there is no question that Holmes is king of the hill until he truely gets knocked off.

greg63
08-26-2005, 11:54 AM
I hope he wants to be a starter. If he didn't, I'd question his passion for the game.

I agree, can't blame the guy for wanting to be a starter, but the only way it's going to happen in KC is if Holms retires soon, or if ( God forbid ) he goes down with an injury.

ct
08-26-2005, 11:56 AM
I am a fan of Priest like no other..........but, his health continues to be a question mark. If Priest cannot play more than a half of a seaon and into the playoffs (there is some wishful thinking), he does not have the same value as LJ. LJ has proven he is ready to be the man. The man (Priest)cannot keep the # 1 spot locked up after this year. Be patient LJ. Next year could be the year.

Priest has not proven he can stay healthy for a full season, and LJ has? He started [correction] 3 games...3 games!! Sorry, but LJ has proven no more than he has potential to be a feature back! Nothing more.

BigRedChief
08-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Got this here:
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...am=16&year=2003 (http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=16&year=2003)
but it doesnt say how long or the details.
Off topic........Tony G got $4million in a signing bonus and Vonnie Holiday got $3 mil. Shawn barber got 5.5 mil :shake:

alanm
08-26-2005, 12:04 PM

I've got a really strong feeling this is going to be the case. Watch him end up going to the Bronco's. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Halfcan
08-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Priest has said he wants to play three years. That should put him at 120-150 Td's if he stays healthy plus put him way over the 10k mark in rushing yards. To me that makes him a first ballot HOFer.

You guys are handing LJ the job from the Chiefs all time leading rusher. LJ might be stronger at this point but I still think Priest is smarter and more patient on his blocks. You can only bull through blockers for so long before injuries start cropping up. He needs to be more elusive and not take so many hits if he wants to last. I don't think he has the body type to be a Earl Campbell or Bettis-and maul people his whole career. LJ needs to shut the F#uck up-he has been running his mouth since day one. I liked to hear the word team come out of his mouth more instead of ME ME ME.

Sorry guys LJ is no Priest Holmes and never will be. Priest is our future for at least 3 more years. Him, Green and TRich will all retire the same year. That is after winning back, to back SB's

ct
08-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Priest has said he wants to play three years. That should put him at 120-150 Td's if he stays healthy plus put him way over the 10k mark in rushing yards. To me that makes him a first ballot HOFer.

You guys are handing LJ the job from the Chiefs all time leading rusher. LJ might be stronger at this point but I still think Priest is smarter and more patient on his blocks. You can only bull through blockers for so long before injuries start cropping up. He needs to be more elusive and not take so many hits if he wants to last. I don't think he has the body type to be a Earl Campbell or Bettis-and maul people his whole career. LJ needs to shut the F#uck up-he has been running his mouth since day one. I liked to hear the word team come out of his mouth more instead of ME ME ME.

Sorry guys LJ is no Priest Holmes and never will be. Priest is our future for at least 3 more years. Him, Green and TRich will all retire the same year. That is after winning back to back to back SB's

I fixed your post...

Brock
08-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Sorry guys LJ is no Priest Holmes and never will be. Priest is our future for at least 3 more years. Him, Green and TRich will all retire the same year. That is after winning back, to back SB's

Well, I want to see if Priest plays 16 games this year before I would be able to say that he's going to play beyond this season.

Bob Dole
08-26-2005, 12:51 PM
If we win the Super Bowl I don't give a chit. I could endure another 12 years with 1 playoff win with that memory.

We need some factoid geek to check but I also think that 2006 is LJ's last year of his contract. He can void the last year IIRC.

2003 452000.00
2004 515000.00
2005 628000.00
2006 741000.00
2007 854000.00
2008 967000.00
2009 1080000.00
2008 25000.00
2009 25000.00

Not sure what's up with those last two lines...

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/playerProfile.asp?ID=34464

vailpass
08-26-2005, 12:58 PM

A first ballot hall of famer with no 2,000 yard season, no MVP, no SB ring as the starter, no SB MVP on his record?
Priest is a stud with the potential to achieve some of these milestones but as of now he is a hell of a runner with some nice middle-career yards with the very real possibility of achieving more.
IMO until he achieves some of the above he is behind Terrel Davis for HOF entry, which isn't all that close.

penchief
08-26-2005, 12:59 PM

I somewhat agree with your assessment, however, LJ has always had a lot of confidence in his ability but has really only been given the opportunity to prove it in his senior year at Penn State. I really do believe he is a 2000 yard running back and capable of scoring 20 TDs a season. I think he has Jim Brown like qualities. He's tough, has great speed and power, and is deceptively elusive when he gets into the open field.

I like the fact that he's not afraid to say what he thinks he's capable of. I think he's shown that he can be a record-setter whenever he's been given the opportunity.

JMFO.

tk13
08-26-2005, 01:04 PM
I'm not worried about Priest. Seems like many have slapped the "injury" label on him. That's pretty rough considering the number of cheap shots he takes, and the fact that he probably would've come back last year had the season not been lost. I want Priest to get his carries... people say only use him inside the 20, but I think he's a good back outside the 20's too. Doesn't have LJ's home run speed, but he's better at quick bursts for 10 yard gains that actually keep the chains moving. I think that's more important than a home run threat. When we're doing that we're at our best, pounding the defense, wearing them down, keeping our own defense rested and playing well (see Baltimore and Atlanta games).

I think LJ will have his day. He'll probably want a 20 million dollar signing bonus once he has his day, but he'll get to play.

penchief
08-26-2005, 01:06 PM

I believe we would at this point.

tk13
08-26-2005, 01:08 PM
I believe we would at this point.
I like LJ... but there's no way he's earned the respect to be at the same value of Shaun Alexander yet.

penchief
08-26-2005, 01:10 PM
the value of RB's is dropping fast ... too many of them, market is saturated.

True but LJ has unique talent, IMO. He is not a one dimensional back. He's a power back with great speed and good instincts in the open field. I see him as a more powerful Robert Smith.

In fact, I like Saunders' idea about utilizing him in the fullback position on some plays. If he can hit the line of scrimmage with a full head of steam before the defense gets its bearing he could possibly be in the secondary before the defense knows what's what. Once he's into the secondary, he's absolutely lethal.

HolyHandgernade
08-26-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't get to see all the Chiefs games out here so my perspective may be limited, but I would like to see LJ's receiving talents exemplified in games more. In this offense, it seems like one of the keys. I know they say his pass catching abilities have improved but I would like to see it more on game days. Maybe you guys that got to see all of the games where LJ played significantly, did he show off this attribute satisfactorily, or is that something we need to see this season before seriously talking about bumping ahead of Priest?

-HH

penchief
08-26-2005, 01:19 PM

We'd be crazy to trade LJ. The guy is a gamebreaker. Name me another back in the league with his speed, power, and open-field elusiveness. When he gets the chance to be the feature back, he's going to kick some ass. IMO, he'll do just what he did at PSU.

I lost interest in Penn State for a long time. I'd turn on the Nittany Lions as background on Saturday's as I worked around the house. Then, all of sudden this Johnson guy was running wild all over the field and he made things exciting again. Next thing you know, I'm glued to the screen when Penn State has the ball because this crazy kid makes every single play exciting because you get the sense he can break a long one on any play.

I'm tellin' ya. This has got to be Priest's last year as a starter or we are going to lose something special.

BigRedChief
08-26-2005, 01:24 PM
2003 452000.00
2004 515000.00
2005 628000.00
2006 741000.00
2007 854000.00
2008 967000.00
2009 1080000.00
2008 25000.00
2009 25000.00

Not sure what's up with those last two lines...

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/playerProfile.asp?ID=34464

So we got him through 2008?:hmmm:

Mr. Laz
08-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Or they handled him just right and the ego check the first year is what got him focused and ready to play......

Traveller
08-26-2005, 01:30 PM
You gotta have a love/hate relationship with this guy. You are amazed at the talent he displays running behind our line. This year, through the off-season and training camp, he exhibits maturity.

Now along comes an individual interview and he reverts back to his old self. He shows his a$$.

Everybody from the front office to the coaches to his fellow players points out that is attitude has changed, he's matured. LJ see's no difference in his behavior/attitude over the past 3 years. This tells me he's only putting on a show. It's an act, to pacify the powers that be.

Hopefully this behavior gets weaned out of him. On the other hand, he's got the earmarks of becoming our very own TO.

tk13
08-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Name me another back in the league with his speed, power, and open-field elusiveness.

Like I said, you obviously haven't watched Shaun Alexander play. I loved the pick at the time, still do, I think LJ is going to be a very good back, but let's not get carried away here...

penchief
08-26-2005, 01:36 PM

I disagree. We'll see what LJ does this season. I think we'd be better off trading Priest to a contender after this season rather than letting LJ go. Losing Johnson could haunt us forever.

JMFO.

Halfcan
08-26-2005, 01:37 PM
I would bet a lot of you guys ready to put Priest out to pasture were the same ones pissed that we used a first round draft choice on LJ. I don't see how Priest won't be in the hall if he ends up in the 120 plus range in TD's. Gale Sayers is in with half the numbers as PH has now. That is why I think he will play 3 more years-he knows he is not there yet, and I think it is important to him. A ring or two wouldn't hurt though. Terd Davis had what three descent years-he will never make it. Broncos have proved his numbers were a fluke by using scrubs off the street and getting 1000 yards. PH was a good back before running behind the best line in the league.

penchief
08-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Like I said, you obviously haven't watched Shaun Alexander play. I loved the pick at the time, still do, I think LJ is going to be a very good back, but let's not get carried away here...

I agree with you about Shaun Alexander. I loved him when he played at 'Bama. I kept my fingers crossed that he'd be there when we picked. I cursed Seattle for years because they snatched him right before we picked. If I had to take one running back to build a team around it would be Alexander.

Teams might not have felt like Alexander was worth a second round pick for the same reason many people might feel the same about LJ. They're not quite sure about his temperment.

I think LJ has more speed and power. I believe Alexander is a little more elusive than LJ. Alexander is a better Robert Smith than was Robert Smith himself, IMFO.

greg63
08-26-2005, 02:44 PM

Every good running back wants to start, but your great running backs, like Holms, bides their time, doesn't make irresponsible comments to the media that brings down the moral of the team, and uses their time on the sidelines as a period of learning. Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against LJ, but patience will take him farther in this game then pouting. Trent Green epitomizes the word patience, and now he's on top of his game.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Every good running back wants to start, but your great running backs, like Holms, bides their time, doesn't make irresponsible comments to the media that brings down the moral of the team, and uses their time on the sidelines as a period of learning. Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against LJ, but patience will take him farther in this game then pouting. Trent Green epitomizes the word patience, and now he's on top of his game.

Neither Trent Green or Priest Holmes were first round draft picks. Hell, BOTH of them were damn near undrafted.

LJ was. HUGE difference. I don't blame him.

Although personally, if I was getting paid millions of dollars I'd shut my mouth.

BigRedChief
08-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Although personally, if I was getting paid millions of dollars I'd shut my mouth.

Maybe we can take up a collection for you.....:p

htismaqe
08-26-2005, 02:54 PM

Great RB's bide their time?

Other than Priest, NAME ONE.

greg63
08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Marcus Allen. Davis had him on the bench so often he was nick named "The thinker"

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2005, 03:36 PM

I don't like the dissing of Priest on here. Yeah LJ needs some balls handed to him but that doesn't mean that Priest is already a has been this year.It's not "dissing" Priest to acknowledge that he is not the future.

If we get one more great year out of him and the reigns are handed over to LJ, I'll be happy.

Also take into consideration that LJ had to deal with not being "the guy" in college. I can see how that would begin to wear on someone who, when given the chance, has proven that he's fully capable of being very, very good as "the guy."

Mecca
08-26-2005, 03:47 PM
I would bet a lot of you guys ready to put Priest out to pasture were the same ones pissed that we used a first round draft choice on LJ. I don't see how Priest won't be in the hall if he ends up in the 120 plus range in TD's. Gale Sayers is in with half the numbers as PH has now. That is why I think he will play 3 more years-he knows he is not there yet, and I think it is important to him. A ring or two wouldn't hurt though. Terd Davis had what three descent years-he will never make it. Broncos have proved his numbers were a fluke by using scrubs off the street and getting 1000 yards. PH was a good back before running behind the best line in the league.

The fact that Davis was part of a back to back Superbowl team, has a 2000 yard season and a league MVP. Puts him ahead of Priest Holmes on the hall of fame ballot. I'm sorry you can homer this all you want without the Chiefs winning a bowl Priest Holmes isn't a hall of famer unless he pads up alot more stats.

Gale Sayers got injured and was put in the hall of fame because in his time everyone that saw him play thought he was the best player in the league. You can't judge anyone based on Sayers stats, he's an exception not a rule.

If they lose Johnson cause Holmes is hanging around to pad his stats, I will be totally pissed. You don't lose a guy who can start for you for the next 8-10 years because you want to make a guy whos at the end of his career happy.

If Holmes comes back after this year, he shouldn't just be handed the starting job. He and Johnson should compete for it, let the better man win.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
08-26-2005, 04:11 PM
I somewhat agree with your assessment, however, LJ has always had a lot of confidence in his ability but has really only been given the opportunity to prove it in his senior year at Penn State. I really do believe he is a 2000 yard running back and capable of scoring 20 TDs a season. I think he has Jim Brown like qualities. He's tough, has great speed and power, and is deceptively elusive when he gets into the open field.

I like the fact that he's not afraid to say what he thinks he's capable of. I think he's shown that he can be a record-setter whenever he's been given the opportunity.

JMFO.

I like a player to have confidence in his ability also, but what he is talking about is making himself bigger then the team. Far to many players are doing it, makes me sick. Hell even Priest did it last year when he was bitching about not catching as many passes, and I still firmly believe that cost us at least 2-3 victories, it took away a very large part of what makes the Chiefs offense effective.
Bottom line I want players to believe in their abilities and have faith that they can be one of the best ever, but I guess I just favor players like Marcus Allen, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, guys that knew they were the shit but didn't feel the need to vocalize it every chance they got. If you play the game hard, play it right, and respect your God-given abilities the records and accolades will come.

yoswif
08-26-2005, 04:24 PM
At fullback, LJ could break off some big runs on quick traps and be about as good a downfield receiver from that position as there is. I wouldn't mind seeing LJ at fullback on about a third of Priests plays in two back sets. Because he's such a strong inside runner, LJ might be better suited for one back formations than Priest as well. Between fullback and running back, I could see LJ getting 15 touches a game and producing two or three plays over 40 yards each game.

I don't think you can keep LJ on the bench because of what Priest did two years ago. They should be competing for carries. That's how good teams get better.

greg63
08-26-2005, 04:40 PM
At fullback, LJ could break off some big runs on quick traps and be about as good a downfield receiver from that position as there is. I wouldn't mind seeing LJ at fullback on about a third of Priests plays in two back sets. Because he's such a strong inside runner, LJ might be better suited for one back formations than Priest as well. Between fullback and running back, I could see LJ getting 15 touches a game and producing two or three plays over 40 yards each game.

I don't think you can keep LJ on the bench because of what Priest did two years ago. They should be competing for carries. That's how good teams get better.
...except then he would be second behind arguably the best blocking full back in the league in Tony Richardson.

yoswif
08-26-2005, 05:01 PM
...except that then he would be second behind arguably the best blocking full back in the league in Tony Richardson.

This isn't the first article that says LJ has been working at fullback this preseason. LJ is a playmaker and Saunders likes to find ways to get playmakers in position to make plays. Saunders likes to mix things up so the other team's defense has more to prepare for. TRich is a great I formation fullback, but LJ might be a great split back fullback like Roger Craig or Mark Van Eagan.

greg63
08-26-2005, 05:07 PM
This isn't the first article that says LJ has been working at fullback this preseason. LJ is a playmaker and Saunders likes to find ways to get playmakers in position to make plays. Saunders likes to mix things up so the other team's defense has more to prepare for. TRich is a great I formation fullback, but LJ might be a great split back fullback like Roger Craig or Mark Van Eagan.

:) Good point.

Abba-Dabba
08-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Neither Trent Green or Priest Holmes were first round draft picks. Hell, BOTH of them were damn near undrafted.

LJ was. HUGE difference. I don't blame him.

Heh...

Why should he shut his mouth? Because of what they already pay him? Bah....I say. He has already proven he is the future of the franchise. In otherwords, he is the franchise. And very soon they are going to have to pay him like a franchise. He knows this, his agent knows this, and the Chiefs know this.

milkman
08-26-2005, 05:44 PM
He'll get plenty this year and in future in KC.
I predicate Priest will hang up the cleats after 2005.

What do you predicate this predication on? :)

Logical
08-26-2005, 05:44 PM

Willingly, that is true, but Carl's ego is invested in LJ so they will franchise tag him when his contract is up. I am not worried about LJ going anywhere.

Abba-Dabba
08-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Willingly, that is true, but Carl's ego is invested in LJ so they will franchise tag him when his contract is up. I am not worried about LJ going anywhere.

It won't even make it to the end of his contract, not 2009 atleast. Once Priest leaves, gear up for a year of negotiation. Round about 2007 or so.

milkman
08-26-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Halfcan

A first ballot hall of famer with no 2,000 yard season, no MVP, no SB ring as the starter, no SB MVP on his record?
Priest is a stud with the potential to achieve some of these milestones but as of now he is a hell of a runner with some nice middle-career yards with the very real possibility of achieving more.
IMO until he achieves some of the above he is behind Terrel Davis for HOF entry, which isn't all that close.

If Priest plays 3 more years, averages 1200 yards rushing and 15 TDs, then that would put him over 11,000 yards rushing with 132 TDs.

Terrell Davis has just over 7600 yards rushing (7607), and 67 TDs.

If Priest stays healthy and does put up those kind of numbers, which are low compared to his previous seasons in KC, Davis 2000 yard season, and SB rings notwithstanding, Priest would be ahead of TD in HOF consideration, IMO.

Halfcan
08-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Nice post Sidewinder, I had the same numbers but got sidetracked. Your right vail pass, nobody is in the hall without a ring as a starter??
Nice middle career number?? Like three straight years 2001-2003 with over 2000 total yards. Four time 1000 yard rusher. TD record holder. 3 year TD record. Oh and 87 TD's in 95 games to go along with 313 receptions and 2748 receiving yards.

Yeah we better dump this guy quick-he sucks. I think we should let him play as log as he can in a Chiefs uniform. He is a class act and will go in the Hall as a Chief.

Thig Lyfe
08-26-2005, 08:04 PM
“I’m ready to get my career on the road. There are some goals and things in my career that I want to shoot for as far as Walter Payton’s yardage and Emmitt (Smith) and all those things they got a chance to do. I just want my chance to do it.”

Wow. Lofty.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Priest has big 05...we trade him...LJ becomes starter because we can't afford to lose the younger back...

They call me Nostradumbass.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2005, 09:30 PM
If Priest plays 3 more years, averages 1200 yards rushing and 15 TDs, then that would put him over 11,000 yards rushing with 132 TDs.

Sorry, that's NEVER going to happen. Priest Holmes hasn't even finished the past 2 seasons and he'll be 32 this year. I have a hard time believing that even with LJ & Priest splitting carries that Holmes will even make it through the year. There's no doubt that LJ's the future. And if Vermeil retires after this year and a whole new staff is brought in, believe me, they're gonna put their money on LJ, not a 33 year old Priest.

Priest has big 05...we trade him...LJ becomes starter because we can't afford to lose the younger back...

I don't think we could get even a 5th round choice for PH, so why even do that?. Travis Henry, who hasn't been injured, doesn't have 2 repaired knees and hip problems, has put up great numbers for the past several years and was only worth a 3rd rounder. A 33 year old PH won't generate much interest, especially if he doesn't make it through the year. And as much as he's done for the Chiefs and as exciting as he's been for the fans, it would be a major mistake to trade him for anything. Just push him to retire.

Halfcan
08-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Sombody please keep this thread-so people can eat crow after Priest has another big year. What makes you so sure LJ won't get hurt?? Is the guy superman now? Yeah we push PH to retire than LJ goes down, then what? Dee Brown to the rescue. Trent Green has had knee operations too-so lets make him retire too. Ph has given every thing he has to this team and I can't believe you guys want to trade a top five back in the league for a 5th rounder or force him out because LJ has looked good against some backups in preseason. How old was Marcus when he played-or have you forgot? 32 is not that old-PH has at least three to four record breaking years left. The difference is he has class and is not going to go running his big mouth to the papers. LJ needs to keep the diapers on because he has a lot of maturing to do.

beer bacon
08-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Sorry, that's NEVER going to happen. Priest Holmes hasn't even finished the past 2 seasons and he'll be 32 this year. I have a hard time believing that even with LJ & Priest splitting carries that Holmes will even make it through the year. There's no doubt that LJ's the future. And if Vermeil retires after this year and a whole new staff is brought in, believe me, they're gonna put their money on LJ, not a 33 year old Priest.

Priest hasn't even finished the past 2 seasons? Are you sure about that?

penchief
08-26-2005, 11:30 PM

They call me Nostradumbass.

Isn't that Notsodumbass?

Logical
08-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Priest hasn't even finished the past 2 seasons? Are you sure about that?Actually that is incorrect. Did not finish 2004 and 2002 (last 2 games). Priest played all 16 games in 2003.

MyChiefConcern
08-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against LJ, but patience will take him farther in this game then pouting.

Not when you're in your 3rd year in the pros, when the shelf life of the average running back is somewhere around 10 years.

Larry Johnson has been screwed royally here in Kansas City. Point blank. Carl used him as a bargaining chip and got lucky; the kid actually has outstanding talent. I made me ill to see Carl hugging Larry and patting him on the back after the Tennessee game last year.

tk13
08-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Not when you're in your 3rd year in the pros, when the shelf life of the average running back is somewhere around 10 years.

Larry Johnson has been screwed royally here in Kansas City. Point blank. Carl used him as a bargaining chip and got lucky; the kid actually has outstanding talent. I made me ill to see Carl hugging Larry and patting him on the back after the Tennessee game last year.
There's a point to that, but he's sitting behind the best RB in Chiefs history, and a guy that spent his entire life having to prove himself over and over (and by reading some of these threads might need to prove himself yet again), and waited way too long to get his shot. He's not going to get any sympathy from me.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-27-2005, 02:03 AM
Priest has been injured in 2 out of his last 3 years here. Your job is never safe in the NFL, even Priest is going to have to prove he's the back he was before his injury. If not...bring on LJ. There is no such thing as job security, and I won't feel bad at all for Priest if he does get beat out. If LJ gives us the best chance to win, get him in there. Do I expect all this to happen? No. I hope not anyway. I expect Priest to have a great year, a healthy year, but if it goes the other way, I won't be saddened too much.

tk13
08-27-2005, 02:17 AM
I think Priest will be fine. Priest would've played at the end of last year if we didn't tank the season. He said he could've played with a brace, and there's no way you could've kept him off the field in a playoff chase. Because he chose to get healthy, he's now plastered with this "not finished 2 of the last 3 seasons" thing, and that's not fair, because besides Trent, and maybe even including Trent, there isn't anyone on this team who has fought through injuries better than Priest. I always think back to the Houston game last year when Priest was on crutches and Teicher and Carter and everybody was saying there was NO way he was playing like that, and he showed up on Sunday and ripped off 130 yards. Seems like everybody remembers LJ running all over people as the most memorable thing from last year, for some reason I still think the best performance was Priest in that Houston game. That right there is why I want Priest to be the leader of this offense.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-27-2005, 02:28 AM
I think Priest will be fine. Priest would've played at the end of last year if we didn't tank the season. He said he could've played with a brace, and there's no way you could've kept him off the field in a playoff chase. Because he chose to get healthy, he's now plastered with this "not finished 2 of the last 3 seasons" thing, and that's not fair, because besides Trent, and maybe even including Trent, there isn't anyone on this team who has fought through injuries better than Priest. I always think back to the Houston game last year when Priest was on crutches and Teicher and Carter and everybody was saying there was NO way he was playing like that, and he showed up on Sunday and ripped off 130 yards. Seems like everybody remembers LJ running all over people as the most memorable thing from last year, for some reason I still think the best performance was Priest in that Houston game. That right there is why I want Priest to be the leader of this offense.

I hope you're right. I want it to be that way, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that I won't be upset if LJ gets the nod at some point this year because of whatever. Gotta go with that. I think everyone would agree with that.

Priest is my favorite as well. He's been here longer, been more productive. I hope he's at least got 2 more years in him.

greg63
08-27-2005, 03:49 AM
There's a point to that, but he's sitting behind the best RB in Chiefs history, and a guy that spent his entire life having to prove himself over and over (and by reading some of these threads might need to prove himself yet again), and waited way too long to get his shot. He's not going to get any sympathy from me....exactly. Yes, he has talent. Yes, he is a first round draft pick. However, when he signed a contract agreeing to a sum of money knowing full well he was doing so behind a veteran starter such as Holms then he's going to play the waiting game - clear and simple.

htismaqe
08-27-2005, 05:27 AM
Marcus Allen. Davis had him on the bench so often he was nick named "The thinker"

BUZZ.

Try again.

Allen carried the ball 160 times in his rookie season, and carried the ball no less than 200 times in each of the next 6 years. Marcus Allen was benched by Davis in 1989, his SEVENTH year in the league.

htismaqe
08-27-2005, 05:31 AM

The average career of an NFL RB is 3.5 years.

htismaqe
08-27-2005, 05:32 AM
...exactly. Yes, he has talent. Yes, he is a first round draft pick. However, when he signed a contract agreeing to a sum of money knowing full well he was doing so behind a veteran starter such as Holms then he's going to play the waiting game - clear and simple.

You've got to be kidding me. What ****ing choice did he have? Holdout all season, go back into the draft the next year?

The draft is exactly that, a DRAFT. When the Army drafts you, you don't sit around and not go.

milkman
08-27-2005, 03:29 PM

I am not necesarily suggesting that Priest will play 3 more years.

Halfcan said that Priest wants to play 3 more years, and that by the end of those 3 years, Priest would be a HOF RB.

Vailpass told Halfcan (to paraphrase) that Terrell Davis would be a worthy HOF candidate.

My post was to make the point that if Priest did play 3 more productive years, his numbers would be much better than TD's, which IMO, would make him a more viable HOF candidate, IMO.

Personally, however, I would agree with the belief that Priest won't go 3 more years.

2 years, maybe, but not 3.

milkman
08-27-2005, 03:33 PM
There is no such thing as job security

Unless you're name is Eric Hicks or Dextor McPassOn.

greg63
08-27-2005, 10:00 PM
BUZZ.

Try again.

Allen carried the ball 160 times in his rookie season, and carried the ball no less than 200 times in each of the next 6 years. Marcus Allen was benched by Davis in 1989, his SEVENTH year in the league.

Good point.

greg63
08-27-2005, 10:06 PM
You've got to be kidding me. What ****ing choice did he have? Holdout all season, go back into the draft the next year?

The draft is exactly that, a DRAFT. When the Army drafts you, you don't sit around and not go.

I agree, but I still stand behind my statement. Even if drafted in the first round you still have to earn the starting spot, especially if it currently belongs to a proven veteran. Football is not the military.

ChiefsGirl
08-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Johnson already has a contract and teams wouldn't have to pay him what Alexander and James wanted paid. I'm not sold we've done enough to re-build our defense yet.

I think I want to retract that statement.

greg63
08-28-2005, 10:25 PM
I think I want to retract that statement.

Why? I think your statement has merit. Yes, LJ's spectacular 97 yard TD run is a result of his lightening fast speed in the open field, but he got there because of superior blocking.

milkman
08-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Why? I think your statement has merit. Yes, LJ's spectacular 97 yard TD run is a result of his lightening fast speed in the open field, but he got there because of superior blocking.

Are you watching the games?

Yes that 97 yard run was the result of superior blocking, but he has shown us, with the rest of the hsi preseason carries, and his late season carries last year, thet he is the full package.

He's displaying patience, vision, and explosiveness.

No way in hell we want a guy with his talent to get away.

greg63
08-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Are you watching the games?

Yes that 97 yard run was the result of superior blocking, but he has shown us, with the rest of the hsi preseason carries, and his late season carries last year, thet he is the full package.

He's displaying patience, vision, and explosiveness.

No way in hell we want a guy with his talent to get away.Yes, I'm watching the games. I don't disagree with you, we need to keep him if we can. The last thing I want to see him do is go somewhere else, but Holms is the, present, starter and here's why: Vikings game - Holms: 42 yards, 4 carries, 10.5 yards Average. Cardinals game - Johnson: 49 yards, 9 carries, 5.4 yards Average.

KChiefsQT
08-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Yes, I'm watching the games. I don't disagree with you, we need to keep him if we can. The last thing I want to see him do is go somewhere else, but Holms is the, present, starter and here's why:Vikings game - Holms: 42 yards, 4 carries, 10.5 yards Average Cardinals game - Johnson: 49 yards, 9 carries, 5.4 yards Average

You're justifying why holmes is our starter based off two preseason games? I don't think those games has anything to do with why HOLMES is the man, sorry. Have you missed the last few seasons?

milkman
08-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Yes, I'm watching the games. I don't disagree with you, we need to keep him if we can. The last thing I want to see him do is go somewhere else, but Holms is the, present, starter and here's why:Vikings game - Holms: 42 yards, 4 carries, 10.5 yards Average Cardinals game - Johnson: 49 yards, 9 carries, 5.4 yards Average

Last night, how did Priest do against the Hawks' 1st defense, with Green at the helm?

And how did LJ do against the Hawks' 1st D, with Quinn at the helm?

milkman
08-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Last night, how did Priest do against the Hawks' 1st defense, with Green at the helm?

Oh, and I'm not arguing about who should be the starter.

You quoted Chiefsgirl, who was saying she wanted to retract her statement that LJ could be used a s trade bait for defensive help.

You said that her original statement had merit, which I took to mean you thought we should try to trade LJ for defensive help.

greg63
08-28-2005, 11:08 PM
You're justifying why holmes is our starter based off two preseason games? I don't think those games has anything to do with why HOLMES is the man, sorry. Have you missed the last few seasons?Nope, I was just using the first two preseason games as a point of reference, because the last couple of posts had referenced the 97 yard TD run.

greg63
08-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Oh, and I'm not arguing about who should be the starter.

You quoted Chiefsgirl, who was saying she wanted to retract her statement that LJ could be used a s trade bait for defensive help.

You said that her original statement had merit, which I took to mean you thought we should try to trade LJ for defensive help.

I see. I was referencing the point she was making about our O-line, my misunderstanding about the intent of ChiefsGirl's post.

philfree
08-28-2005, 11:14 PM
I've been out of town and just now watched my tivoed Seahawks vs Chiefs preseason tilt and I feel safe to say that as much as Holmes has meant to the Chiefs since he's been a Chiefs LJ is better at this point in time. I think Holmes recieved a relapse of his hip injury on his first carry against the Cards. He had a nice run but as he was tackled he got wrapped on one hip and then rolled on the other. To me he hasn't had "his" explosion since that carry. If you've got it recorded or can watch that play again then give me your opinion. It's not what I want but it's what I think I've seen. So with that perspective I think LJ is alot closer to being our starter then even he realizes. Maybe he does realize it :shrug:

PhilFree:arrow:

greg63
08-28-2005, 11:20 PM
I've been out of town and just now watched my tivoed Seahawks vs Chiefs preseason tilt and I feel safe to say that as much as Holmes has meant to the Chiefs since he's been a Chiefs LJ is better at this point in time. I think Holmes recieved a relapse of his hip injury on his first carry against the Cards. He had a nice run but as he was tackled he got wrapped on one hip and then rolled on the other. To me he hasn't had "his" explosion since that carry. If you've got it recorded or can watch that play again then give me your opinion. It's not what I want but it's what I think I've seen. So with that perspective I think LJ is alot closer to being our starter then even he realizes. Maybe he does realize it :shrug:

PhilFree:arrow:

Well, ya never know which has been my point the whole time. I believe that LJ will get his shot if he's just patient.

greg63
08-28-2005, 11:27 PM

That too is a good point. Holms, for now, is the present. Johnson is the future, just my opinion.