PDA

View Full Version : How many hours do kids really need to walk home?

Phobia
08-26-2005, 03:13 PM
School lets out at 3:00, right? When I was a kid, the streets were empty of kids by 3:03.

It sure is a good thing school zone speeding tickets run through 4:30. Hell, if I saw evidence of one child around, chances are I'm gonna drop down to 25 with or without school zone signs. No kids, just a couple of protect and serve jackasses. Though, I'm not sure what in the hell they were protecting at 4:00.

Remember a couple weeks ago when I said it costs me more to leave the ****ing house than it does to hide out in the basement. That stands.

I should have tried to give the "peace officer" those game tickets. I'll bet he couldn't have wanted them, though.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Alot of kids have afterschool crap. You lose.

htismaqe
08-26-2005, 03:16 PM
It's for the kids, man. What the hell is wrong with you? Do you hate kids?

Frosty
They just passed a law in Oregon that sets the school zone speed at 20 24/7. Doesn't matter if it's summer, Sunday, etc.

jidar1
As a parent with 2 kids who walk home, you can take that sob story buddy and **** right the **** off.

Simplex3
08-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Dude, you have more bad luck with the law than I do. Now that I think about it it's been about three years since I got my last ticket. Hmmm, I used to average one a year.

htismaqe
They just passed a law in Oregon that sets the school zone speed at 20 24/7. Doesn't matter if it's summer, Sunday, etc.

Sweet.

Donger
Personally, I think that school zones should have a higher speed limit than other places.

Since they took away dodgeball, they need something to help them hone their reflexes.

ct
Ya know, if ya slow down in a school zone, this wouldn't be a problem.

ct
08-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Personally, I think that school zones should have a higher speed limit than other places.

Since they took away dodgeball, they need something to help them hone their reflexes.

kinda like a new version of frogger?

Phobia
Alot of kids have afterschool crap. You lose.

K-4 don't have afterschool crap.

htismaqe
Dude, you have more bad luck with the law than I do. Now that I think about it it's been about three years since I got my last ticket. Hmmm, I used to average one a year.

I used to get 3 a year. I haven't gotten any since I started this job 2 years ago, even though I drive 10 times the amount of miles I used to.

It's amazing what driving the speed limit will do. :D

Simplex3
08-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Slowing down in school zones is all swell and good and it works while they're at school, but teaching kids not to play in traffic works all day every day no matter where they are.

Just thinking out loud.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 03:19 PM

Aren't there other grades in the same school?

Simplex3
08-26-2005, 03:20 PM
I used to get 3 a year. I haven't gotten any since I started this job 2 years ago, even though I drive 10 times the amount of miles I used to.

It's amazing what driving the speed limit will do. :D
What speed limit?

That's the damndest part of it, I haven't slowed down a bit. Must be the 4 door car and the gray hair.

htismaqe
08-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Slowing down in school zones is all swell and good and it works while they're at school, but teaching kids not to play in traffic works all day every day no matter where they are.

Just thinking out loud.

:bravo:

Phobia
08-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Ya know, if ya slow down in a school zone, this wouldn't be a problem.

No shit? Thanks. Wow.

I don't have a damned problem slowing down in a school zone. I have a problem with horribly marked school zones and cops running speed traps with no children in sight for miles. That's my bitch here.

HemiEd
08-26-2005, 03:22 PM
I have found that more conservative looking rides attract less tickets.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Aren't there other grades in the same school?

Not this one. It may not even go through 4. It might be K-2.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 03:23 PM
I have found that more conservative looking rides attract less tickets.

I was driving the wife's Xterra.

htismaqe
No shit? Thanks. Wow.

I don't have a damned problem slowing down in a school zone. I have a problem with horribly marked school zones and cops running speed traps with no children in sight for miles. That's my bitch here.

Don't call them speed traps. That has such a negative connotation. We refer to them as "fundraisers".

WisChief
I should have tried to give the "peace officer" those game tickets. I'll bet he couldn't have wanted them, though.

Or gave him the "Big Foot" treatment with ol Whitey.

ct
08-26-2005, 03:24 PM
No shit? Thanks. Wow.

ok, not in the mood for captain obvious. just keepin it light dude

Donger
08-26-2005, 03:25 PM
No shit? Thanks. Wow.

You're the type that goes through a red light when no other cars are present, aren't you.

WisChief
ok, not in the mood for captain obvious. just keepin it light dude

Screw that - give him one of these:

nlm

Simplex3
Or gave him the "Big Foot" treatment with ol Whitey.
I have no idea what that means.

Chest Rockwell

Just thinking out loud.

Amen.

The only kids that school zones help are the slow and/or stupid ones. We should quit playing god and let evoloution do it's thing. :D

Biohazard
No shit? Thanks. Wow.

COPS SUCK PERIOD! Seems like they just want to fug with people!Most of the cops for where I live are young and on some kinda powertrip!

HemiEd
08-26-2005, 03:26 PM
I was driving the wife's Xterra.

Does it have one of those big mufflers and a wing on it? :)

J/K, too bad about the ticket, I figured you were in your Big foot truck. It is the end of the month, and no matter what they tell you, they do have "goals" each month.

Frosty
08-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Don't call them speed traps. That has such a negative connotation. We refer to them as "fundraisers".

That's the point of the Oregon law, I think. They can sit out there on a summer afternoon and nail all the out-of-staters who don't know about the law change.

WisChief
08-26-2005, 03:27 PM

He drives a White F900000000 or something other that takes a damn ladder to climb up into. About as big as Big Foot.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 03:28 PM

This.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 03:32 PM
You're the type that goes through a red light when no other cars are present, aren't you.

You know, I've been tempted to do that SO many times. I used to have the opportunity nearly every night back when I was going to school.

For some reason I could never do it.

Miles
Yeah those can be irritating. Recently on the first few days of school a cop was siting at one of them to catch people speeding. Pretty annoying considering that if you dont have kids you would have no idea school started back. Plus the damn the school zone starts like an hour and half before school does so there are no kids in sight.

They also have school zones around here on large 4 lane divided roads. The have them up around high schools since I guess they are not old enough to not walk in front of traffic.

Simplex3
He drives a White F900000000 or something other that takes a damn ladder to climb up into. About as big as Big Foot.
ROFL Holy crap, I laughed out loud and tears came to my eyes. An F900000000, huh? ROFL

Lzen
08-26-2005, 03:33 PM
No shit? Thanks. Wow.

I dunno about 3:00. My kid's elementery school gets out at 3:30 here. But on the first day of school, my wife got a speeding ticket heading to the school. She slowed down in the school zone but sped up right at the end of the zone where you see the regular speed limit sign. She said the cops were snagging people left and right. That is kinda BS if you ask me. Then again, there are idiot drivers who don't pay attention or just plain ignore the zones. The cops should bust those types. They are the real danger.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 03:35 PM

Oh, absolutely. Only a lemming sits there. That's crazy. I've never had a ticket for that before.

FWIW, this rant isn't so much about my ticket as it's about EVERYTHING that sucks about my life right now. I've seriously paid out more money for stupid bullshit this month than I've made. No joke.

Simplex3
08-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Oh, absolutely. Only a lemming sits there. That's crazy. I've never had a ticket for that before.

FWIW, this rant isn't so much about my ticket as it's about EVERYTHING that sucks about my life right now. I've seriously paid out more money for stupid bullshit this month than I've made. No joke.
At least you have your health.

hehe.

Donger
08-26-2005, 03:39 PM

Well, there you are.

Sorry to hear that.

HemiEd
08-26-2005, 03:39 PM

You have had a bad run, for sure. I would not be wasting any money on lottery tickets. Some old timers used to tell me that I needed to "go downtown and see big Lou" when things ran like that. Of course I have no idea what they were referring to. :rolleyes:

eazyb81
08-26-2005, 03:41 PM

Not sure where you live in KC, but I got a ticket yesterday in a school zone also. It was in KC North on Waukomis drive, right in front of Line Creek elementary school. There is a corner before you can see the school, so right as I go around the corner there is this dipshit cop standing in the road pointing his radar gun right at me. There are three cop cars on the side of the road, and they are just pulling people over one after another. They didn't even turn their lights on or anything, they just pointed you to the side of the road to line up behind the other cars that are getting tickets. On top of the speeding ticket, the dickwad gave me another ticket for not wearing a seatbelt.

Needless to say, I was furious.

:cuss::cuss::cuss:

Donger
08-26-2005, 03:42 PM
On a side note, how many people wait to pass the sign before speeding up when a new, faster speed limit sign approaches?

Mile High Mania
08-26-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm guessing you knew you were in a school zone... so, it's the cop's fault? There's all sorts of after school deals that kids are involved with... settle down "gotta fight the man kinda guy".

Phobia
08-26-2005, 03:46 PM
On a side note, how many people wait to pass the sign before speeding up when a new, faster speed limit sign approaches?

Not me, I begin to accelerate as soon as I see the new limit. But, I'm a speeder. I speed almost everywhere. I've deserved every single one of the speeding tickets I got, including the one today. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna be pissed about it. I'm gonna see if this guy I know can take care of it.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Have you ever had an accident, Phobes?

Bowser
08-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Not sure where you live in KC, but I got a ticket yesterday in a school zone also. It was in KC North on Waukomis drive, right in front of Line Creek elementary school. There is a corner before you can see the school, so right as I go around the corner there is this dipshit cop standing in the road pointing his radar gun right at me. There are three cop cars on the side of the road, and they are just pulling people over one after another. They didn't even turn their lights on or anything, they just pointed you to the side of the road to line up behind the other cars that are getting tickets. On top of the speeding ticket, the dickwad gave me another ticket for not wearing a seatbelt.

Needless to say, I was furious.

:cuss::cuss::cuss:

That little stretch of road sucks, they are always watching right there. It's almost as bad as driving through Oakview, in front ofthe St. Charles school. Almost.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm guessing you knew you were in a school zone... so, it's the cop's fault? There's all sorts of after school deals that kids are involved with... settle down "gotta fight the man kinda guy".

Hell yeah, it's the cops fault. Who do you think the fault belongs to.... me? Not likely.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Have you ever had an accident, Phobes?

Hell yeah. Never my fault, though. Cars always getting in my way. Damn cars.

eazyb81
08-26-2005, 03:49 PM
That little stretch of road sucks, they are always watching right there. It's almost as bad as driving through Oakview, in front ofthe St. Charles school. Almost.

it's such a busy road now, it is ridiculous that the speed limit is still 25. I tried driving through there at 25 today, and I started a line of cars behind me.

Bob Dole
08-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Do they still have the school zones where the sign says, "When children present"? Like someone with no children would know when a particular school has children present...

The school zones here are reduced only when the lights are flashing.

bringbackmarty
08-26-2005, 04:56 PM
This.
I love that truck. sorry about the ticket, was that right after i talked to you on the phone?

Saulbadguy
08-26-2005, 05:25 PM
If you get a ticket in a school zone just tell the judge that it was poorly marked and you did not know it was a school zone. Worked for me, they knocked it down to inattentive driving.

Lzen
08-26-2005, 05:28 PM

Heh, see post #36.

Abba-Dabba
08-26-2005, 05:28 PM

Ever heard of Latchkey, dumbass. :p

Hydrae
08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
My wife is a crossing guard at one of the elementary schools around here. At least once a week she tells me of someone who almost runs her over! This is at an intersection that is a 4 way stop to begin with in a residential area. If she has problems like this there, I don't even want to think what it must be like on a busier street.

JOhn
08-26-2005, 05:42 PM
K-4 don't have after school crap.
Yea they do Phil, at least here in Cody they do. My daughter who was in 2nd grade last year choose to go to study hall M-Thur, which got out at 3:50pm.

fwiw, having driven the Bus for a couple of years, unfortunately most people could care less about school zones or crossing's.

Last year at least once a week, if not more often, I had people run the lights on the bus, or try and pass or million other dumb stunts. Hell I WISH our local PD would take more interest in enforcing the laws pertaining to school crossing and bus's.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Yea they do Phil, at least here in Cody they do. My daughter who was in 2nd grade last year choose to go to study hall M-Thur, which got out at 3:50pm.

fwiw, having driven the Bus for a couple of years, unfortunately most people could care less about school zones or crossing's.

Last year at least once a week, if not more often, I had people run the lights on the bus, or try and pass or million other dumb stunts. Hell I WISH our local PD would take more interest in enforcing the laws pertaining to school crossing and bus's.

Christ. Now second graders have "study hall?" What is this world coming to.

JOhn
08-26-2005, 05:49 PM
She was having a tough time with one subject, so she elected to spend an extra 45 minutes getting one on one help. :thumb:

Heck they started teaching spanish in first grade. :eek:

Phobia
08-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Shut up, people. I needed a shoulder to cry on and you people turn on me. I can't give Chiefs tickets away and I can't get any support on a speeding ticket. I hate you all. Leave me alone.

JOhn
08-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Shut up, people. I needed a shoulder to cry on and you people turn on me. I can't give Chiefs tickets away and I can't get any support on a speeding ticket. I hate you all. Leave me alone.
ROFL

Hey you posted last night that we were NOT to kiss yer ass, so I'm just doing my part. :thumb:

Frazod
08-26-2005, 07:30 PM

You still look good in that cowboy hat, though. :evil:

NewChief
08-26-2005, 07:41 PM
School lets out at 3:00, right? When I was a kid, the streets were empty of kids by 3:03.

It sure is a good thing school zone speeding tickets run through 4:30. Hell, if I saw evidence of one child around, chances are I'm gonna drop down to 25 with or without school zone signs. No kids, just a couple of protect and serve jackasses. Though, I'm not sure what in the hell they were protecting at 4:00.

Remember a couple weeks ago when I said it costs me more to leave the ****ing house than it does to hide out in the basement. That stands.

Haven't read the whole thread, but I thought I would bring it to a new low.

I think this is part of No Child Left Behind.:)

NewChief
08-26-2005, 07:43 PM

Believe it man. People cry about the quality of public education, but 2nd graders do more homework now than I did in high school. All of the teachers at my school with kids in elementary are always griping about how much homework their kids have to do. They teach all day then have to spend 30 minutes to an hour helping their elementary kid read "Jack and Jill went up the Hill" and write a reflective essay on it.

chefsos
08-26-2005, 07:51 PM

You won't get any love over at the Coalition, either.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 07:54 PM
You won't get any love over at the Coalition, either.

Shocking. Some of those people have an imaginary competition going with ChiefsPlanet. I don't get it.

chefsos
08-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Shocking. Some of those people have an imaginary competition going with ChiefsPlanet. I don't get it.

Maybe it's because you called them "those people". Really fouled the water for the rest of us. Thanks.

tk13
08-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Maybe it's because you called them "those people". Really fouled the water for the rest of us. Thanks.
Dammit. Phobia has turned into Ross Perot.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 08:32 PM

What do you think I should call you? I've never heard more ****ing bitching and whining from a (select) group of people in my entire life. I've done nothing but do my best to help you guys grow. I've suggested your site as an alternative to (I've lost count) people. The inferiority complex makes me sick. I've NEVER fostered a spirit of competition with the Coalition. I've been down that road when ChiefsPlanet first started and I chose a different path with you guys. All I've done is try to help you guys be successful and this is the thanks I get.

I'm not looking for a pat on the back or even appreciation. But it would be nice to have you guys stay off my back. I'm not your enemy. My attitude has always been, visit the site where you're most comfortable. The thick skin requirement at ChiefsPlanet isn't for everybody. The circlejerk at WildBills isn't for everybody. The family site at the Coalition isn't for everybody. The cult at Nepa isn't for everybody, but there should be a site where everybody can feel comfortable.

I'm not competing with you. Why are you people competing with me?

Electric
08-26-2005, 08:56 PM
After seeing the reads and responses, both ways(excluding the non-topic argument), it seems like the most likely answer can be found in the bible.

Render unto Caesar what is due to Caesar. In other words, Caesar says the speedlimit is X miles an hour, when you don't do the limit pay Caesar what is due him. (Cheesing your way out with Chiefs tickets can get you more than a fine.)

Think of it this way, you slow down you save the fines and after a time your car/truck/suv insurance goes down.

chefsos
08-26-2005, 09:02 PM
What do you think I should call you? I've never heard more ****ing bitching and whining from a (select) group of people in my entire life. I've done nothing but do my best to help you guys grow. I've suggested your site as an alternative to (I've lost count) people. The inferiority complex makes me sick. I've NEVER fostered a spirit of competition with the Coalition. I've been down that road when ChiefsPlanet first started and I chose a different path with you guys. All I've done is try to help you guys be successful and this is the thanks I get.

I'm not looking for a pat on the back or even appreciation. But it would be nice to have you guys stay off my back. I'm not your enemy. My attitude has always been, visit the site where you're most comfortable. The thick skin requirement at ChiefsPlanet isn't for everybody. The circlejerk at WildBills isn't for everybody. The family site at the Coalition isn't for everybody. The cult at Nepa isn't for everybody, but there should be a site where everybody can feel comfortable.

I'm not competing with you. Why are you people competing with me?

Man, I don't know who that shotgun blast was aimed at, but my quoted post was just goofin' on the Coalition experience you reported to us last night. Shoot, I've never even been there.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Believe it man. People cry about the quality of public education, but 2nd graders do more homework now than I did in high school. All of the teachers at my school with kids in elementary are always griping about how much homework their kids have to do. They teach all day then have to spend 30 minutes to an hour helping their elementary kid read "Jack and Jill went up the Hill" and write a reflective essay on it.

That's horrible. I really don't think loading the kids down with busy work is a good idea. It's just going to make them hate school.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Man, I don't know who that shotgun blast was aimed at, but my quoted post was just goofin' on the Coalition experience you reported to us last night. Shoot, I've never even been there.

I really need to leave the internet for a couple days. I'm in a really crappy mood. That dude last night royally pissed me off and I'm pretty discouraged about a few things.

The way I read your response led me to believe you were from over there and that ....

well, it doesn't matter. Clearly I'm the dipshit here.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 10:05 PM
The coalition guys I met at the banquet last year seemed cool enough.

Just curious, Phil, is the inferiority complex/competition attitude you reference prevalent among the board "leadership" as it were and/or a majority of their regular posters, or is it a subset of dingbats? I know there's a subset of the population here I'd hate for outsiders to judge the board based on.

It's a couple of things, some of it behind the scenes. Apparently some of the complex is my own. I can be a pretty big dipshit sometimes.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 10:15 PM
After seeing the reads and responses, both ways(excluding the non-topic argument), it seems like the most likely answer can be found in the bible.

Render unto Caesar what is due to Caesar. In other words, Caesar says the speedlimit is X miles an hour, when you don't do the limit pay Caesar what is due him. (Cheesing your way out with Chiefs tickets can get you more than a fine.)

Think of it this way, you slow down you save the fines and after a time your car/truck/suv insurance goes down.

I wasn't actually going to bribe a cop. That part was a joke. Do you always take everything so literally?

Electric
08-27-2005, 06:41 AM
I wasn't actually going to bribe a cop. That part was a joke. Do you always take everything so literally?

I guess that since you are the only person on the planet that can make jokes I'll put (tic) next to anything that I consider dry humor.

Talk about taking everything literally!!!! sheesh!

Saulbadguy
08-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Sounds like we need a good ole fashioned board raid/war. **** all the "lets help each other grow" shit. There are many hours of fun to be had at the expense of each others boards.

Bowser
08-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Sounds like we need a good ole fashioned board raid/war. **** all the "lets help each other grow" shit. There are many hours of fun to be had at the expense of each others boards.

Spoken like a true non-moderator! ;)

(Like our own mods wouldn't be on board for that. Heh.)

go bo
08-29-2005, 10:48 PM
bowser:

beware,

you might become the target of a saulbadguy conspiracy...

*woooo-ooo* *wooo-oo*