PDA

View Full Version : Here is why Freddie Mitchell won't recover.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 03:32 PM
If Freddie Mitchell recovers from his injury and practices full speed, there is a very good chance the Chiefs will cut him anyway and Freddie gets a pat on the back and a hug from Dick Vermeil.

If Freddie Mitchell is still injured at cutdown time, the Chiefs have to:
1. Put him on PUP or IR lists and pay him.
2. Reach an injury settlement for his salary this year.

There's no way in hell FredEx can go full speed.

TRR
08-26-2005, 03:35 PM
If Mitchell has a good week of practice this coming week, then I think he'll make the squad over Thorpe. I think Thorpe is a good candidate for the practice squad. He hasn't shown me a whole lot more than Mitchell, and that's saying something.

Bottom line though, Mitchell has to have an awesome week of practice and an awesome Preseason game to make the team.

Bowser
08-26-2005, 03:37 PM
How big of a settlement could it be? Dude didn't even get a signing bonus, did he? But knowing Vermeil, they'll stick him on the IR instead of just realeasing him outright.

No big deal anyway. I would be fine with

Kennison
Parker
Thorpe
Boerigter
Hall
Horn

And if we only go with five WR's, Horn is on the PS.

Halfcan
08-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I think your right. Maybe if we give a 2nd rounder someone will take this cancer off our hands-lol.
He looks like a big bust so far, three or four practices and thats it-not a good return on the investment whatever it was.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 03:38 PM
OMG, are you serious? He's just in it to collect a BS paycheck?

Bowser
08-26-2005, 03:39 PM
If Mitchell has a good week of practice this coming week, then I think he'll make the squad over Thorpe. I think Thorpe is a good candidate for the practice squad. He hasn't shown me a whole lot more than Mitchell, and that's saying something.

Bottom line though, Mitchell has to have an awesome week of practice and an awesome Preseason game to make the team.

The only problem with that is that if another team sees a guy like Thorpe with his size and speed sitting on our practice squad, they will probably make a move for him, and we would be forced to either activate him, or let him go.

And I agree with you about Mitchell. He has to look like Jerry Rice circa 1994 to make this team, as far as I'm concerned.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2005, 04:10 PM
I think Phobia's probably right on, but there's NO way that the Chiefs risk moving Thorpe through waivers. The guy's gonna be very good, Laveranues Coles good. I think it would be a major mistake, that's why I can't see that happening.

Waive Mitchell. No one wanted him before, no one's gonna want him now. Same with Chris Horn. I don't think he'll have any problem getting through waivers. It was done every other week all last year, IIRC.

Dane

Mr. Laz
08-26-2005, 05:02 PM
he prolly wants an injury settlement and then he's gonna try and run back to philly and double dip on the his salary this year.

he seems like a POS to me

Traveller
08-26-2005, 05:16 PM
I think Phobia's probably right on, but there's NO way that the Chiefs risk moving Thorpe through waivers. The guy's gonna be very good, Laveranues Coles good. I think it would be a major mistake, that's why I can't see that happening.

Waive Mitchell. No one wanted him before, no one's gonna want him now. Same with Chris Horn. I don't think he'll have any problem getting through waivers. It was done every other week all last year, IIRC.

Dane

Horn played in 14 games for the Chiefs last year. After playing in 9 games he's no longer available for the practice squad.

ZootedGranny
08-26-2005, 05:20 PM

Exactly. If Thorpe is put on the practice squad, someone is going to die in the Chiefs front office. You finally have a guy that can grow into a #1 WR, and you let other teams take a shot at him?

TRR
08-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Horn played in 14 games for the Chiefs last year. After playing in 9 games he's no longer available for the practice squad.

Fine by me...I'm ready to let go of the Horn experiment.

TRR
08-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Exactly. If Thorpe is put on the practice squad, someone is going to die in the Chiefs front office. You finally have a guy that can grow into a #1 WR, and you let other teams take a shot at him?

I haven't seen anything that has shown me Cro can grow into a number 1 WR. He's been too nicked up all through camp to show anyone anything. Your probably right though, Cro probably would get picked off the practice squad...

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2005, 05:56 PM
I haven't seen anything that has shown me Cro can grow into a number 1 WR. He's been too nicked up all through camp to show anyone anything. Your probably right though, Cro probably would get picked off the practice squad...

With all due respect, I don't think that 2 preseason games should be any type of indicator as to whether or not a WR can become a true #1. Look at how many guys, year after year, who were selected way higher than Thorpe took years to develop. WR isn't a position that most guys can master in just a few preseason games. Give the guy a chance to learn and grow. He's got the speed and he was extremely productive before the leg injury (and let's face it, he didn't exactly have an all-world QB at anytime at FSU).

Dane

JOhn
08-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Fine by me...I'm ready to let go of the Horn experiment.
Exactly, put him on the team. :thumb:

Not sure why everyone dislikes Horn, kid has speed, and great routes. I really hope he makes it this year.

4th and Long
08-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Stick a fork in Mitchell. He's done.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Stick a fork in Mitchell. He's done.

What an incredible post!

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Exactly, put him on the team. :thumb:

Not sure why everyone dislikes Horn, kid has speed, and great routes. I really hope he makes it this year.

I would say speed is the one thing he doesn't have. That and size, so two things.

But neither did Wayne Chrebet. I really like Horn.

morphius
08-26-2005, 06:16 PM
I don't believe he is available for the PUP list, is he? I thought you had to go to training camp injured to be able to be on the PUP list.

JOhn
08-26-2005, 06:21 PM
I would say speed is the one thing he doesn't have. That and size, so two things.

But neither did Wayne Chrebet. I really like Horn.
Finally something I agree with you about! :eek:

I really think he could be a very good #2 reciever given the chance.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Finally something I agree with you about! :eek:

I really think he could be a very good #2 reciever given the chance.

I don't know about #2 but he'd be a great slot WR. He's not real fast bue he's quick and tough and appears to have very good hands.

milkman
08-26-2005, 06:26 PM

You are the freakin' driver of the Mitchell bandwagon.

Why?

What has he ever done to even get a freakin' band wagon?

TRR
08-26-2005, 06:44 PM
You are the freakin' driver of the Mitchell bandwagon.

Why?

What has he ever done to even get a freakin' band wagon?

I just think DV has a hard on for him, that's all.

Ninjaman
08-26-2005, 09:21 PM
I hear conflicting stories on Thorpe. Some say he looks great and others don't see anything . :hmmm: :Robinson:

the Talking Can
08-26-2005, 09:25 PM
if Mitchell makes this team it's because he swallows (Hicks spits)....

bringbackmarty
08-26-2005, 10:12 PM
and they both suck.

whoman69
08-27-2005, 10:24 AM
The only problem with that is that if another team sees a guy like Thorpe with his size and speed sitting on our practice squad, they will probably make a move for him, and we would be forced to either activate him, or let him go.

And I agree with you about Mitchell. He has to look like Jerry Rice circa 1994 to make this team, as far as I'm concerned.
I don't know why people are always worried about a 4th round pick that couldn't make our top 5 WRs getting picked up by someone else at cut time. Why would someone want to tie up a roster spot with a very questionable long shot?

Bowser
08-27-2005, 10:28 AM
I don't know why people are always worried about a 4th round pick that couldn't make our top 5 WRs getting picked up by someone else at cut time. Why would someone want to tie up a roster spot with a very questionable long shot?

It was widely agreed that Thorpe would have been a first day selection, if not for an injury. The kid could potentially be great - he has the hands, size, and speed. Why risk losing that?

TRR
08-27-2005, 10:29 AM
I was 50/50 on Thorpe until I read a Q&A with Trent Green where he mentioned that Thorpe is just never healthy, and that if he wants to make the squad, he'll need to get in, and get some reps. That made me think...

TRR
08-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Here's the Q&A with Green that I was talking about...

Q: Can you talk about the wide receiver battle and how it’s going?

“Craphonso (Thorpe) has been hampered by injuries. He’s been on and off the field and had some inconstancy as you would expect for a young guy. For him to make the roster he’s going to have to come on strong whether it be the preseason games or in practice. He’s going to have to realize that and step up. He’s coming off a serious injury in college and maybe he needs another year to develop and grow. Hopefully, he can stay healthy. There’s going to be great competition for those final two spots.”

Mr. Laz
08-27-2005, 10:32 AM
I just think DV has a hard on for him, that's all.

how hard could he of been? Mitchell got hurt 2 days after he got here.

TRR
08-27-2005, 10:34 AM
how hard could he of been? Mitchell got hurt 2 days after he got here.

I don't know. Hard enough to keep him around this long...after he went against doctor's opinion and didn't have surgery. DV is still planning on keeping him around for next week to see what he brings to the table.

Mr. Laz
08-27-2005, 10:40 AM
I don't know. Hard enough to keep him around this long...after he went against doctor's opinion and didn't have surgery. DV is still planning on keeping him around for next week to see what he brings to the table.
i'm confused...

how is keeping Mitchell around .... "being hard on him"?

UKMike
08-27-2005, 10:42 AM
i'm confused...

how is keeping Mitchell around .... "being hard on him"?

I think you misunderstand..

Mr. Laz
08-27-2005, 10:43 AM
I think you misunderstand..
evidently, must be my blonde hair kicking in ...

carry on

whoman69
08-27-2005, 10:52 AM
It was widely agreed that Thorpe would have been a first day selection, if not for an injury. The kid could potentially be great - he has the hands, size, and speed. Why risk losing that?
Why tie up a roster spot for someone who will not be able to contribute? I also think potentially great is a big overstatement.

Chief Faithful
08-27-2005, 12:21 PM
I had big hopes that Fred-Ex could play well and potentially become a #1 receiver, but because of the injury he never had a chance to prove anything. At this point I say cut him, let him get healthy, and bring him back for another try next year if he is still available.

If we need to keep a player on potential alone I say let it be Thorpe.

whoman69
08-27-2005, 01:51 PM
I had big hopes that Fred-Ex could play well and potentially become a #1 receiver, but because of the injury he never had a chance to prove anything. At this point I say cut him, let him get healthy, and bring him back for another try next year if he is still available.

If we need to keep a player on potential alone I say let it be Thorpe.
Fred-Ex as a #1 receiver was a pipe dream. He already proved himself as lacking from his days in Philly.
Putting a non-productive Thorpe on the active roster leaves off either Boe or Horn. Boe can create match up problems, while Horn would be an important third down receiver with his good hands.