PDA

View Full Version : Paypal users: WARNING!

Pants
08-26-2005, 04:27 PM
I just got an email from "Paypal" saying that my account is being used in Europe and that if I don't take the precautionary actions, they'll be forced to temporary close my account. It looks extremely legit, the only problem being, the warning coming to an email box Paypal has no idea about. Apparenlty it's a scam where they try to get your login in and password info... I almost entered it too, since I could't believe it was fake (plus I just had a transaction in Europe). When you ckick the link in your email to log in, it takes you to a site that looks identical to Paypal, except the address is an IP number.

Anyway, just trying to warn people, if you think it's obvious that it's a scam and only stupid poeple would fall for that, good for you, but please keep your opinions to yourself.

Phobia
08-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah, your final sentence should help around here.

Bowser
08-26-2005, 04:33 PM
I get those e-mails every now and again. They go right next to the guy who e-mails me from Somalia saying he has inherited a fortune, and only needs an American with a big heart to help him find a bank to put it in.

Bowser
08-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeah, your final sentence should help around here.

I was going to be nice and not mention that... ROFL

Phobia
08-26-2005, 04:34 PM
I get about 4 of them per day.

carlos3652
08-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Yep. I have been getting zillion of emails from "Paypal", "ebay", Bank of whatever", and other institutions that look legit, all they do is take your password/user when you type it in to verify or log in to solve the issue...

If you have fallen for one of these, please change your user/pass immediately and contact paypal direct to check if your account has been violated by these perpetraters...

Iowanian
08-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Just wait until the Exiled Oil Tycoon of Nigeria doesn't really pay off on that money you loan him to get his Bajillion dollars out of hock...

Pants
08-26-2005, 04:36 PM
I get about 4 of them per day.

I see. This was the first time I ever got anything like that. Looked really legit, with Paypal's HTML graphics and shit... never seen anything like that.

Bowser
08-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Don't worry, Metro. If there ever really is a problem, they'll just call you to have you verify your social security number over the phone, just so you know they are legit.

Pants
08-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Just wait until the Exiled Oil Tycoon of Nigeria doesn't really pay off on that money you loan him to get his Bajillion dollars out of hock...

Haw haw haw, SO original!

Zebedee DuBois
08-26-2005, 04:38 PM
I've been getting about 3 emails a week from either "PayPal" and "EBay" at my work email box. I have never accessed either legitmate site from work - so they would have to be spam or phish.

They do look fairly legitimate.

I wish those people would all get a bad case of hives.

Pants
08-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Don't worry, Metro. If there ever really is a problem, they'll just call you to have you verify your social security number over the phone, just so you know they are legit.

I've had problems with Paypal before, they never actually called me. I had to go through a bunch of bullshit and then I decided to call to finally resolve it.

Bowser
08-26-2005, 04:39 PM
I wish those people would all get a bad case of ravenous, flesh eating crabs.

Me too!

Iowanian
08-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Haw haw haw, SO original!

You're the one that Bent over.......Think carefully before spreading your cheeks in the direction of the guy holding the Frog Gig.

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 04:48 PM
There are so many people that complain about being ripped off via paypal....so many STUPID people.

Miles
08-26-2005, 04:49 PM
I see. This was the first time I ever got anything like that. Looked really legit, with Paypal's HTML graphics and shit... never seen anything like that.

Yeah i got the same one a few weeks ago and it did look really legit. Its the first one that didnt look like a complete scam or ask to send money to some shady place.

Pants
08-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Yeah i got the same one a few weeks ago and it did look really legit. Its the first one that didnt look like a complete scam or ask to send money to some shady place.

I know dude, that's what I thought. Naturally I get the Nigerian bank money emails all the time, but this was the first time anything looked legit. Didn't know people were getting 4 of those everyday...

Mr. Laz
08-26-2005, 04:58 PM
talking about paypal...

curious to why i get a ip access request from the paypal donation button at the top of the lounge front page?

active button even when not clicked?

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 04:59 PM
I actually had someone in Africa try to buy my stereo off Ebay. They wanted to send me money without winning the auction.

They shut up after I told them shipping was $1800.

Braincase
08-26-2005, 05:34 PM
DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!

Hammock Parties
08-26-2005, 05:48 PM
DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!

How much money was in your paypal account?

theultimatekcchiefsfan
08-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Try this.

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/

Phobia
08-27-2005, 12:01 AM
theultimatekcchiefsfan
Look who I found in my yard.

Mike Shanahan?

Mr. Kotter
08-27-2005, 12:06 AM
Yeah, they tried to scam me last Spring....just always LOG-ON to the paypall site directly, unless you are using a link from a trusted site.