View Full Version : TEICHER: Shields back in line

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2005, 02:05 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12489912.htm

Shields back in line

It will be his first live action since last year’s season finale

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Will Shields will play his first football game in almost eight months tonight when the Chiefs play a preseason game against Seattle at Arrowhead Stadium.

It’s the first live test for Shields, a 10-time Pro Bowl guard, who missed all of the offseason, two preseason games and most of training camp because of first a sore knee and later a nagging back injury.

Shields still admitted to no unusual amount of trepidation.

“It’s just a preseason game,” he said in his typical understated style. “It is what it always is. It’s a chance to get your body ready and into shape for the regular season.”

The Chiefs don’t see it quite that way. Shields’ return is cause for celebration, even in a minor way.

“You know what he’s all about,” quarterback Trent Green said. “You know what he’s going to bring to the huddle. Run game, pass game, everything. It’s going to be good for him to go at it again.”

Shields is a significant element of an offensive line that dealt this summer with more than its normal share of issues. Shields didn’t practice. Left tackle Willie Roaf worked part time at training camp. Right tackle Kevin Simpson’s toe injury has given Jordan Black a chance to play.

That’s why the return of Shields, a foundation of the offensive line since he was a rookie in 1993, is no small event.

“It’s tremendous,” offensive coordinator Al Saunders said. “He’s a 10-time Pro Bowler, so that generates a lot of positives for us. We’ve got a great player back in the fold and one with tremendous experience.

“The bigger picture is that Will Shields has to be in his best form on Sept. 11. He’s missed quite a bit of time because of the injury, and it wouldn’t be prudent to put him in a position where he aggravates that again. We still have two weeks of practice and another preseason game after this, so we’re going to use him judiciously, and we’ll make sure he’s able to continue to build the strength he needs to be ready for Sept. 11.”

The Chiefs are planning to limit Shields to about 20 plays, or fewer than the other starters, who are scheduled to play the first half and perhaps into the third quarter.

Even so, his impact will be felt in other ways. The Chiefs are breaking in a new right tackle, who lines up next to Shields.

It appears unlikely Sampson will return in time for the regular-season opener against the Jets at Arrowhead on Sept. 11. Whether it’s Sampson or Black, the Chiefs will be using an inexperienced player.

Sampson, in his second NFL season, has never started a regular-season game. Black, in his third year, opened four late last season.

Playing next to Shields should make life simpler for either of them.

“When you play next to Will Shields, it’s like playing next to a coach, almost,” Black said. “He knows every assignment, every technique. All I’ve got to do is turn to my left and ask him something and he’s got the answer.”

Shields, if healthy and playing the way he always has, solves the right-guard spot and helps at right tackle. That gives the Chiefs reason to believe their line will be as solid as ever.

Many were the moments at training camp when the Chiefs didn’t feel that way, mainly because of uncertainty over Shields.

“One of the reasons we’ve been able to have some offensive success with our system is we’ve had basically the same guys playing offensive line every year for the last four years except for right tackle,” Saunders said. “They know the each other’s idiosyncrasies, and they communicate with each other real well. As soon as you put a new ingredient in there, it’s just like if you’re making a cake. If you put in a new ingredient, the result is going to be different.

“Continuity is always a major concern there. The less they play together, the less success they’re going to have. The thing that tempers that in our case is they’ve had such a long background of playing together. They can call on their past experience. Had those guys not played together for so long, we’d be facing a season opener with a dysfunctional offensive line and we’d be really concerned.”

the Talking Can
08-27-2005, 03:10 AM
that sucks Sampson won't be ready....

Rukdafaidas
08-27-2005, 04:47 AM
that sucks Sampson won't be ready....
Yeah, I thought Sampson was only going to be out a couple of weeks. I hadn't heard that he was unlikely to play against the Jets until this report.

Bowser
08-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Jordan Black will hold down the spot nicely until Sampson returns.

TRR
08-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Black was the favorite by all the fans and media to start this season anyway. Sampson seems more athletic in the running game than Black, but Black may be a better technical pass blocker.

Mr. Laz
08-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I thought Sampson was only going to be out a couple of weeks. I hadn't heard that he was unlikely to play against the Jets until this report.

injury information provided by the chiefs is completely unreliable

TRR
08-27-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm excited to see Shields back in at Guard. Right tackle is the most irrelevant position on the O Line in my opinion. That's why John Tait wasn't worth the dough that Chicago gave him. Black, Sampson, and even a healthy Welbourn could get the job done at RT.

Mr. Laz
08-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Right tackle is the most irrelevant position on the O Line in my opinion

on our Oline or on any Oline?

cause i'm pretty sure i disagree ... the ability to hold the edge is vital for any passing game.

TRR
08-27-2005, 10:39 AM
on our Oline or on any Oline?

cause i'm pretty sure i disagree ... the ability to hold the edge is vital for any passing game.

On KC's o line.

Mr. Laz
08-27-2005, 10:42 AM
On KC's o line.
oooooooo...

ya, when you have such a good Oline is much easier to cover up for a single spot.

but if i able to pick a spot as a weakness it would be a guard spot, not a tackle ... we run alot to the outside.

TRR
08-27-2005, 10:46 AM
oooooooo...

ya, when you have such a good Oline is much easier to cover up for a single spot.

but if i able to pick a spot as a weakness it would be a guard spot, not a tackle ... we run alot to the outside.

KC pulls their guard so much that Shields and Waters are extremly important.

tiptap
08-27-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm excited to see Shields back in at Guard. Right tackle is the most irrelevant position on the O Line in my opinion. That's why John Tait wasn't worth the dough that Chicago gave him. Black, Sampson, and even a healthy Welbourn could get the job done at RT.

Why do you say this? Last year we ran half as many stretch plays to the right of the formation as the left. Unlike two years ago when we ran the same amount to the left, right and middle. The pass rush came from the right offensive side last year. The only successful runs to the right occurred with the strong two tight end set to that side. ALL the defenses we face this year will know we tend to run to the left. And we will see teams plan for this. Being able to run to the right as well as the left means the difference between a physical based good offense to the left and a great offense with all options in play. It is the difference between a dominant season and a good one.

B_Ambuehl
08-27-2005, 11:52 AM

Waters and Shields a weakness? IMO they are the main reason for the success of this offense (and also will be about impossible to replace). 2 of the fastest and most athletic pulling guards in the NFL. Watch a football team like Miami try to run a sweep or a counter play and then watch this Chiefs team run the same play. The guards pull so quickly and efficiently the defense barely has time to react and Priest simply follows his man literally hand on hip........such a beautiful sight for someone who loves offensive line play :).

TRR
08-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Why do you say this? Last year we ran half as many stretch plays to the right of the formation as the left. Unlike two years ago when we ran the same amount to the left, right and middle. The pass rush came from the right offensive side last year. The only successful runs to the right occurred with the strong two tight end set to that side. ALL the defenses we face this year will know we tend to run to the left. And we will see teams plan for this. Being able to run to the right as well as the left means the difference between a physical based good offense to the left and a great offense with all options in play. It is the difference between a dominant season and a good one.

I say that because John Tait wasn't worth what the Bears gave him. It's as simple as that. There was no letdown with Black, Welbourn, or Sampson in at RT last season. KC was still the #1 rated offense, still ran the ball very well, and still had a pretty low sack rating. Would KC have been a better O Line with Tait at RT, probably, but not for that price. We had 3 players fill in for Tait last season, and there was little to no dropoff in production.

Mr. Laz
08-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Waters and Shields a weakness? IMO they are the main reason for the success of this offense
no,no,no you goofy little man :D

we were talking about IF you had to pick 1 position on the offensive line TO BE weak at ... which would it be?

TRR said right tackle

i said guard (close 2nd would be center)

this has nothing to do with the actual level of play of the current chiefs

TRR
08-27-2005, 03:38 PM
no,no,no you goofy little man :D

we were talking about IF you had to pick 1 position on the offensive line TO BE weak at ... which would it be?

TRR said right tackle

i said guard (close 2nd would be center)

this has nothing to do with the actual level of play of the current chiefs

It all depends upon which scheme you run. I would say for KC, the center and guards are probably more important because of how much they pull. Weigmann, Shields and Waters pull more than any guard-center trio in the NFL IMO.

While you can't discount Roaf, and what he does for the team (I think Roaf is not only our best O Lineman, but the best Tackle I've ever seen play...period) I still think in KC's scheme, the guards and center hold president over our tackles.

B_Ambuehl
08-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Just for fun I once went and rewatched an entire first half of a game and only paid attention to Roaf and what he was doing. The guy is a freak of nature. I have never seen such a large gap between the way a guy walks and what you expect from looking at him and the way he actually moves once the action starts. He literally toys with people.