PDA

View Full Version : new england plays an unusual defense

Mr. Laz
08-27-2005, 02:46 PM
watching the pats/packers game

on running downs, new england plays a 3-4 (4 defensive backs)

on passing downs, they play a 4-1-6 (6 defensive backs)

:hmmm:

NJ Chief Fan
08-27-2005, 03:09 PM
belichick is a weirdo...fudge him and the pats and tom brady(2nd most over rated qb in the nfl behind mcfagg)

Hammock Parties
08-27-2005, 03:09 PM
What the hell is so weird about a 4-1-6? That's standard dime alignment if I'm not mistaken. 4 down linemen, middle linebacker, four corners and two safeties.

Ninjaman
08-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Because of STOUD. Take him out and you will see them play base D.

Tampa Bay when Sapp was good did the same shit.

Mr. Kotter
08-27-2005, 03:14 PM
watching the pats/packers game

on running downs, new england plays a 3-4 (4 defensive backs)

on passing downs, they play a 4-1-6 (6 defensive backs)

:hmmm:

Is there a punchline comin'?

3-4, cover 2 (or man under/2 deep zone) is an aggressive run defense; with the right personnel....it can be an awesome run defense.

4-1-6 is nothin' more than "dime" coverage, against likely passing situations (2 of the 6 DBs should be safeties, or CBs who can bring the wood though....)

Am I missin' somethin'? :hmmm:

Ninjaman
08-27-2005, 03:22 PM
SCHEMES don't matter. Players do.

You fit schemes around players.

Tampa Bay ran a 4 - 1- 6 because they KNEW teams coulnd't run on them and they could get pressure with 4 DLinemen.

TRR
08-27-2005, 03:31 PM
SCHEMES don't matter. Players do.

You fit schemes around players.

Tampa Bay ran a 4 - 1- 6 because they KNEW teams coulnd't run on them and they could get pressure with 4 DLinemen.

I couldn't disagree more. Belichick has constently fit players into his scheme. There aren't any superstars on the Pats. Every player fits a role, and they win Championships.

Mr. Laz
08-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Is there a punchline comin'?

3-4, cover 2 (or man under/2 deep zone) is an aggressive run defense; with the right personnel....it can be an awesome run defense.

4-1-6 is nothin' more than "dime" coverage, against likely passing situations (2 of the 6 DBs should be safeties, or CBs who can bring the wood though....)

Am I missin' somethin'? :hmmm:
but usually the # of defensive backs match the # of wide receivers

the pats aren't doing that

6 defensive backs against 2 Wrs

defense looks very flexible

TRR
08-27-2005, 03:41 PM

the pats aren't doing that

6 defensive backs against 2 Wrs

defense looks very flexible

I watched an interview with Belichick where he says he prefers defensive speed over power. He likes for his CB's to be able to outrun people to the ball, rather than D Lineman filling gaps, etc.

Mr. Laz
08-27-2005, 03:43 PM
I watched an interview with Belichick where he says he prefers defensive speed over power. He likes for his CB's to be able to outrun people to the ball, rather than D Lineman filling gaps, etc.
ya ... it just caught my attention when they went from 4 linebackers to 1 while green bay stayed in the same formation.

it was just a little weird looking :shrug:

wonder what happens if the offense runs against this small/fast lineup?

tk13
08-27-2005, 03:46 PM
The best one was last year when they'd run that 0-5-6 with no down linemen. That was bizarre.

TRR
08-27-2005, 03:47 PM
ya ... it just caught my attention when they went from 4 linebackers to 1 while green bay stayed in the same formation.

it was just a little weird looking :shrug:

wonder what happens if the offense runs against this small/fast lineup?

I don't know...Didn't Belichick run a defense last season with 0 Defensive Lineman, 5 LB's, and 6 DB's?

RealSNR
08-27-2005, 03:51 PM
I couldn't disagree more. Belichick has constently fit players into his scheme. There aren't any superstars on the Pats. Every player fits a role, and they win Championships.Does that mean we'll see a new "Spinner" D when they add Monty Beisel to the mixture? :hmmm:

Chiefs Pantalones
08-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Beisel has been struggling against the run. Shocker.

TRR
08-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Does that mean we'll see a new "Spinner" D when they add Monty Beisel to the mixture? :hmmm:

It's funny, nobody ever talked about Monty Beisel when he was with the Chiefs. I mean, he wasn't even a thought. Now, everytime I watch any type of football show, they bring up Beisel and the Pats, and how he's going to fill a big hole for them. Give me a break...I liked Monty, and thought he played well last season, but he's not even half the player Fujita is IMO. And most around here think Fujita sucks.

Mr. Laz
08-27-2005, 03:58 PM
The best one was last year when they'd run that 0-5-6 with no down linemen. That was bizarre.
I don't know...Didn't Belichick run a defense last season with 0 Defensive Lineman, 5 LB's, and 6 DB's?

htismaqe
08-27-2005, 04:34 PM
New England runs a defense that's completely foreign to most Chief fans...

They TACKLE.

Mr. Kotter
08-27-2005, 04:35 PM

Not true.

Dime is used, generally, in obvious passing situations. Yes, often, offenses will line-up an extra WR or two....but the dime is also effective against any spread type offense, or a 3rd and Forever down--regardless of formation. As long as you have a couple of strong against the run DBs, you go dime regardless of numbers of WRs.

Imagine the Chief's in a 2 WR set; but Gonzo, Wilson, Priest, and LJ are all on the field....and it's 3 and 13. Any defensive coordinator who opts for anything but a dime package in that situation is askin' to be seriously second guessed.

I'd argue pass coverage is dictated more by down and distance, than by peronnel on the field.....UNLESS you don't have to fear their RBs or TEs in the receiving game, IMHO.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-27-2005, 04:55 PM
New England runs a defense that's completely foreign to most Chief fans...

They TACKLE.

Exactly. You can run any defense, if you have talent and you can tackle. The most overlooked thing.

Ninjaman
08-27-2005, 05:50 PM
I couldn't disagree more. Belichick has constently fit players into his scheme. There aren't any superstars on the Pats. Every player fits a role, and they win Championships.

That is just WRONG. Stroud. CB, Dends linebackers. They have players on every level.

You take those probowl players off their team and they will suck shit.