PDA

View Full Version : And a thread for those that will be following Iowa State football

Braincase
08-27-2005, 04:46 PM
I've got my reasons, even though I'm more of a KU fan.

But I do love thise Cyclone preview... (http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Big_12/2005_Previews/IowaState_defense.htm)

I especially love the part about best pro prospect...

Braincase
08-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Only up 14 hours and kicked to page 5? Damn... I know there has to be someone else out there with a little Cyclone love...

Saulbadguy
08-28-2005, 08:21 AM
I know there has to be someone else out there with a little Cyclone love...
No..no..not really.

htismaqe
08-28-2005, 08:59 AM
**** Moser.

:D

Shag
08-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Go 'Clones!! :D

I'm a big Clyclone fan, but find it somewhat tough to follow the team, living in a Big 10 city - the Big 12 is rarely on tv up here, and when it is, it's never the Clones. :( I keep up via the internet, but not as close as I'd like - I blame that on the lack of tv coverage...

Good post - I'll enjoy finishing the read...

Skip Towne
08-28-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm a big Iowa State fan. I especially like that one guy. Go Hawkeyes!

Braincase
08-28-2005, 10:27 AM
No..no..not really.

Saul,

Remind me to slam the door really hard when it's your cousin listed as a "best pro prospect" on some team...

... gosh... anybody got the Harrah's line on that?

Braincase
08-28-2005, 10:27 AM
**** Moser.

:D

A pox upon your moustache!

htismaqe
08-28-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm a big Iowa State fan. I especially like that one guy. Go Hawkeyes!

ROFL

Boardin Bronco
08-28-2005, 11:32 AM
The Cyclone triplets (Bret Meyer-Stevie Hicks-Todd Blythe) kick ass on NCAA 06.

Marco Polo
08-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Keep clicking on that link and the predicted finish is 6-5. I thought that is kinda funny because their review was excellent.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
08-28-2005, 01:06 PM
I didn't know Blythe tore his ACL. He is a hell of a receiver and I hope he recovers well.

htismaqe
08-28-2005, 01:10 PM
He not only tore his ACL, but it got infected, which set his rehab back by several months. He should be ready to go for the opener though.

Chief Henry
08-29-2005, 08:11 AM
I'm a Hawkeye fan first and foremost.
However, I am a "Clones" fan every now and then.
Dan McCareny is one hell of a coach and is turning that program around.

GOod luck to that cousin, except agains the
Iowa Hawkeyes.

Frankie
08-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Dan McCareny is one hell of a coach and is turning that program around.
Oh really? I guess I've been watching a different team in the last (almost) DECADE!!!!!

htismaqe
08-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Oh really? I guess I've been watching a different team in the last (almost) DECADE!!!!!

4 bowl games plus a bowl win.

It was the worst team in D-1 football when he took over.

I hate the Clones and I personally can't stand to listen to Rah-Rah McCarney, but it's hard to ignore what he's done there.

Coach
08-29-2005, 10:31 AM
4 bowl games plus a bowl win.

It was the worst team in D-1 football when he took over.

I hate the Clones and I personally can't stand to listen to Rah-Rah McCarney, but it's hard to ignore what he's done there.

It seems to me that Hayden Fry's assistants have done a hell of a job turning around programs.

Bill Snyder
Dan McCarney
Barry Alvarez

Also, the fact that I know you hate the Clones, but not many schools in D-I level would give that much time to a coach, where ISU didn't get a winning season after six years when McCarney was hired.

Frankie
08-29-2005, 11:04 AM
It seems to me that Hayden Fry's assistants have done a hell of a job turning around programs.

Bill Snyder
Dan McCarney
Barry Alvarez

Also, the fact that I know you hate the Clones, but not many schools in D-I level would give that much time to a coach, where ISU didn't get a winning season after six years when McCarney was hired.
EXACTLY. Oh he does field a fairly solid team once every few years, but usaually the seniors get out and it's back to the bottom the next year. He hasdn't built a consistant program despite all the time ISU has afforded him.

vailpass
08-29-2005, 11:11 AM

Bill Snyder
Dan McCarney
Barry Alvarez

Ahem. I would respectfully add one more name to that list who hasn't done too badly for himself or his team:
Kirk Ferentz

Braincase
08-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Ahem. I would respectfully add one more name to that list who hasn't done too badly for himself or his team:
Kirk Ferentz

Didn't Bob & Mike Stoops start out as assistants up in Iowa as well?

Shag
08-29-2005, 01:18 PM
EXACTLY. Oh he does field a fairly solid team once every few years, but usaually the seniors get out and it's back to the bottom the next year. He hasdn't built a consistant program despite all the time ISU has afforded him.

When I was at ISU, we won a grand total of 6 games over 4 years. The team was beyond terrible, and had been that way for a LONG time. When McCarney came in, he had nothing to work with.

Since 2000, McCarney has had a losing record ONCE. He took them to their first bowl game in 22 years, and their first bowl win EVER. 4 bowls in the last 5 years. Only twice in the last 7 seasons has he lost more games than the previous year.

Oh, and he's beaten Iowa 5 out of the last 7 times they've played.

Yup, McCarney's done a whole lot of nothing for ISU's program... :rolleyes:

vailpass
08-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Didn't Bob & Mike Stoops start out as assistants up in Iowa as well?
After they played for Coach Fry. Good call. Oklahoma and Arizona head coaches.
Oh, and don't forget Chuck Long.

Coach
08-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Good call there Braincase and Valipass. Damn, former players and assistant coaches under Hayden Fry. That's a Elite class IMHO.

htismaqe
08-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Good call there Braincase and Valipass. Damn, former players and assistant coaches under Hayden Fry. That's a Elite class IMHO.

As of last fall:

HC
Kirk Ferentz
Bob Stoops
Mike Stoops
Bill Snyder
Barry Alvarez (and his successor Brett Bielema)
Dan McCarney
Jim Leavitt - South Florida
Don Patterson - 1-AA Western Illinois

Assistants
Chuck Long
Mark Stoops - 3rd brother, DC at Zona
Del Miller - K State OC
Bobby Elliot - K State DC
Jay Norvell - OC Nebraska

Braincase
08-29-2005, 02:01 PM
...Oh, and don't forget Chuck Long.

How can I? I think my wife still has a crush on him (She = Iowa '85, '87)

Frankie
08-29-2005, 02:02 PM
When I was at ISU, we won a grand total of 6 games over 4 years. The team was beyond terrible, and had been that way for a LONG time. When McCarney came in, he had nothing to work with.

Since 2000, McCarney has had a losing record ONCE. He took them to their first bowl game in 22 years, and their first bowl win EVER. 4 bowls in the last 5 years. Only twice in the last 7 seasons has he lost more games than the previous year.

Oh, and he's beaten Iowa 5 out of the last 7 times they've played.

Yup, McCarney's done a whole lot of nothing for ISU's program... :rolleyes:

Wow!.... He's a mediocre coach. GOOD! I stand corrected. What would Ferentz do with that much time and patience from the school?

vailpass
08-29-2005, 02:03 PM
As of last fall:

HC
Kirk Ferentz
Bob Stoops
Mike Stoops
Bill Snyder
Barry Alvarez (and his successor Brett Bielema)
Dan McCarney
Jim Leavitt - South Florida
Don Patterson - 1-AA Western Illinois

Assistants
Chuck Long
Mark Stoops - 3rd brother, DC at Zona
Del Miller - K State OC
Bobby Elliot - K State DC
Jay Norvell - OC Nebraska

Amazing.
Hey Htis, can you come up with a similar list for Dan Gable and his coaching prodigy? I'll bet it's as big or even bigger than Coach Fry's.

Frankie
08-29-2005, 02:04 PM
How can I? I think my wife still has a crush on him (She = Iowa '85, '87)Does Chuck's last name have anything to do with that?........ :p

Damn!! :banghead: Why did I say that?.... Sorry BC.

vailpass
08-29-2005, 02:05 PM
How can I? I think my wife still has a crush on him (She = Iowa '85, '87)
ROFL Ask her if she remembers the gyro cart on the ped mall, after leaving the Airliner at 2:30 a.m. Iowa City was a good time during those years (I was there in '85)

Braincase
08-29-2005, 02:25 PM
ROFL Ask her if she remembers the gyro cart on the ped mall, after leaving the Airliner at 2:30 a.m. Iowa City was a good time during those years (I was there in '85)

2:30 AM? Hell, my wife would have been either asleep, in the MechEng lab, or participating in the Perpetual Adoration at yonder Catholic church.

My wife was the last virgin to ever graduate that school. ROFL

vailpass
08-29-2005, 02:30 PM
2:30 AM? Hell, my wife would have been either asleep, in the MechEng lab, or participating in the Perpetual Adoration at yonder Catholic church.

Yes, of course, didn't mean to imply anything different.
So sorry, really...

:redface:

Frankie
08-29-2005, 02:36 PM

Now you are making me ashamed of my post.
:deevee:

Frankie
08-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Up

Shag
09-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Wow!.... He's a mediocre coach. GOOD! I stand corrected. What would Ferentz do with that much time and patience from the school?

I'm sure he'd continue to lose to McCarney and his in-state rival. If McCarney's a "mediocre coach", and he's beaten Ferentz 6 out of 8, what does that make Ferentz? ROFL

Frankie
09-10-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm sure he'd continue to lose to McCarney and his in-state rival. If McCarney's a "mediocre coach", and he's beaten Ferentz 6 out of 8, what does that make Ferentz? ROFL

I'm not judging Ferentz. I'm judging McCarney. I will call him a good coach only when I can look back and see a program that reloads every year. Not rebuild.

SBK
09-10-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm not judging Ferentz. I'm judging McCarney. I will call him a good coach only when I can look back and see a program that reloads every year. Not rebuild.

I'd say he's doing a pretty good job considering he has a budget of about 50 cents. ROFL

23-3. ROFL