PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back With A Story

gblowfish
08-27-2005, 05:28 PM
About a month ago I kissed off the CP because of an animal abuse thread that really made me mad. I'm not a card carrying PETA member (as some CPers might believe about me) but my family has always supported the ASPCA and helping homeless animals find loving homes. I think thats important.

I've also noticed in some threads that there's been a noticable drop off in participation on the CP, with some members going missing. That is certainly for a variety of reasons, and certainly includes a reflection on the kind of thread that pushed my buttons. Such is the nature of bulletin boards.

Anyway, I had never received negative rep in two years on the CP until I voiced my opposing opinion on this topic. That's OK. I considered the source of the criticism and got past it. At that time one of my pets was critically ill, which didn't help my demeanor any. That pet is now recovering, think he's going to be OK.

This story appered in the KC Star Thursday. It's real and its terrible. And its why I don't make light of people abusing pets. It happens all the time.

And as Forrest Gump might say "That's all I've got to say about that."
http://tinyurl.com/77e2s

Alleged Cat Abuse Witnessed By Neighbor
Odessa Men Face Felony Charges

POSTED: 6:55 pm CDT August 25, 2005
UPDATED: 4:35 pm CDT August 26, 2005

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. -- The Jackson County prosecutor called it one of the worst cases of animal abuse he's ever seen.

Two men from Odessa are accused of abusing and killing six domestic cats at the Highland Manor Mobile Home Park along Highway 40 in Independence.

Jeffrey Hoeppner, 29, and Brian Kleoppel, 31, were each charged with six counts of animal abuse, four of them felony charges.

Neighbors told KMBC's Maria Antonia that the cats were attacked, tossed around and speared with a shovel.

The alleged animal abuse was witnessed by a woman who lives next door to where it happened. She declined to comment on camera, but her niece, Destinie McMullen, spoke with KMBC's Maria Antonia.

"One kitty ran out of trailer and this guy just speared it with a shovel," McMullen said. "And then she saw the guy banging chair a couple of times, and the kitties ran out from under the chair."

"According to medical experts, it looked at some point as if these animals were literally batted back and forth with the shovels between the two young men," Jackson County Prosecutor Mike Sanders.

Kleoppel told officials he was watching the cats for a relative, but the men decided to kill the pets because they were wild and not friendly.

Scott Wilson, with the Humane Society of the United States, said 35 percent of violent offenders start out abusing animals.

"Albert DeSalvo, the Boston Strangler, would trap cats and dogs in orange crates and shoot arrows at them to watch them die. Jeffrey Dahmer would take animals, kill them, cut their heads off and put them on posts in his back yard and bring neighbors over to see them," Wilson said.

McMullen has pets of her own, and she said the incident has been very upsetting.

"At first I was just angry ... I started crying, because I don't see how you can do anything to little animals -- they're innocent, can't hurt anyone."

Hammock Parties
08-27-2005, 05:32 PM
"According to medical experts, it looked at some point as if these animals were literally batted back and forth with the shovels between the two young men," Jackson County Prosecutor Mike Sanders.

Catminton?

KCChiefsMan
08-27-2005, 05:37 PM
ya seeing stuff like this pisses me off too. It is just sickening to me that people can do this and others can laugh about it (as I've seen before on CP, like the whole running cats over with the lawnmower thing)

|Zach|
08-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Good to have you around again bud.

Hammock Parties
08-27-2005, 05:39 PM
blowfish, when are you adding Kendrell Bell to your page of Chiefs losers?

Saul Good
08-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Do you spend as much time worrying about child abuse as you do animal abuse?

ChiefsFire
08-27-2005, 05:57 PM
uh oh

the start of a long night

Saul Good
08-27-2005, 05:59 PM
uh oh

the start of a long night

I don't mean the question as a pejorative. I just find it interesting that many people get more worked up over the mistreatment of animals than they do people. Animal abuse is horrible, and these guys are sick and belong in prison. I just don't worry about it as much as I worry about people.

ChiefsFire
08-27-2005, 06:03 PM
I don't mean the question as a pejorative. I just find it interesting that many people get more worked up over the mistreatment of animals than they do people. Animal abuse is horrible, and these guys are sick and belong in prison. I just don't worry about it as much as I worry about people.

agree 100 %

just have a feeling this may get ugly

Hydrae
08-27-2005, 06:09 PM
I am a big animal lover (6 cats, 2 dogs at home) but I am curious about something. How they went about killing these animals was sick but how should they have gotten rid of them if they were feral? I can understand their position of not wanting to keep them and that their decision was poor but please help me understand other options that do not include spending a bunch of money at the vets' office.

Glad you are back George, we need all of us oldie but goodies we can keep! :thumb:

Hammock Parties
08-27-2005, 06:12 PM
pwned!

chiefs4me
08-27-2005, 06:13 PM

totally uncalled for....:harumph: and a jerk for saying it.:rolleyes:

chiefs4me
08-27-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm shocked.

:shake:

Bob Dole
08-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Bob Dole firmly believes that most--if not all--of the people here who joke about animal cruelty would never engage in such behavior.

Bob Dole has probably made tasteless jokes about it himslef, but there's absolutely no chance in hell that anyone that has ever spent any time around Bob Dole would believe that Bob Dole is capable of such behavior.

Halfcan
08-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Don't eat at the China restaurant in Grandview. 8 yrs ago they found 120 cat carcasses in the trash and frig. No joke-they would go once a week to animal shelters and turn them into chicken dishes.

ChiefsFire
08-27-2005, 06:22 PM
whats the dif between eating cat and eating cow?

KChiefsQT
08-27-2005, 06:25 PM
totally uncalled for....:harumph: and a jerk for saying it.:rolleyes:

very amusing coming from your trash mouth. :)

ChiefsFire
08-27-2005, 06:30 PM
very amusing coming from your trash mouth. :)
speaking of cats....

CATFIGHT