PDA

View Full Version : Who helped and hurt themselves in Preseason Game 3?

Rain Man
08-27-2005, 11:24 PM
I wasn't able to get sound, so I may have missed some stuff, but here are my thoughts.

Helped their cause:

1. LJ. Is it possible to dethrone a four-time Pro Bowl running back? If so, he'll do it.
2. Sims. He looked pretty good, I thought.
3. Hall. Regardless of what DV said, I thought Hall did pretty well.
4. Svitek. Anyone notice him on the last drive? He was out on an island at LT, and did great.
5. Mitchell. He's starting to convince me that he can play football.
6. Mackenzi Smith. The guy's a good football player. It'll be interesting to see if he can make the team since we probably need a special teams guy at that position.
7. Sapp. That guy can play football. On one play, he made a great tackle on a WR by wrapping him up and swinging another arm down to grab the guy's foot.
8. Kennison. As if there was any doubt that he's our top WR.
9. Dunn. He's a quiet MVP blocker. The guy's amazing when you focus on him.
10. Thomas Barnett. An honorable mention just because of one play. He took out two guys on that great Mackenzi Smith pass and run, and he did a good job getting to his place to make the block.

Hurt their cause:

1. Every WR except Kennison. Can we just start Dunn over there?
2. Black. He wasn't looking good out there on first team tonight, which disappointed me.
3. Quinn. Please stay healthy, Trent.
4. Siavii. What else is new?
Who else?

Darkwolfe
08-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Going to go out on a limb here and disagree about Quinn.

Reasoning:
The kid has been sitting on his tail hoping for a chance to return to the NFL and redeem himself. DV called him last week. He's had what? Maybe five days of practice before tonight's game? Rumor has it he was only signed yesterday.

Given that, I'd say he performed extremely well. Sure he made some mistakes, but I'd be willing to bet that any veteran player who had only five practice sessions before a game would be hard pressed to perform at top notch.

Time will tell.

All that aside however, STAY HEALTHY TRENT!

|Zach|
08-28-2005, 12:02 AM
I helped myself to a beer or two at Brew Co. while watching the game.

beer bacon
08-28-2005, 12:16 AM
I disagree about every WR but Kennison hurting themselves. Parker didn't get a chance until Green went out, and when he actually got a chance he beat his man by several yards. It was not hit fault that Quinn actually played into the beat CB's hands by severely underthrowing the ball.

I also thought Sims once again had a good game. He had several pressures, and also got tackled a couple times by his blocker. I didn't see him getting pushed around at all on running plays.

Bell hurt himself by being too hurt(?) to play.

Fox is listed as having four tackles, but it seemed to me that DJ and Mitchell made more of an impact then him. Maybe that is just my own bias shining through.

keg in kc
08-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Parker would have had a long TD reception if Quinn hadn't underthrown a wide open pass. He had a couple steps on the DB, and nobody's catching him from behind.

And while I like Sapp, he's still telegraphing his blitzes. If he doesn't get that under control, we'll get torched.

Sims looks like he's on a mission.

jcroft
08-28-2005, 01:19 AM
I basically agree with your list, and what other have said. Parker showed well tonight, despite not catches. Richard Smith showed pretty good again, too. Chris Horn didn't show so well tonight (which seems like a first).

Also, Freddie Mitchell continues to hurt his cause.

tk13
08-28-2005, 01:24 AM
Yeah Sims was one guy Carl jumped out to applaud on the radio tonight. Said he finally is starting to look like the player we drafted.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-28-2005, 01:28 AM
This is Priest's last year here, if LJ keeps doing what he's doing throughout the year.

They can't just let a young stud just sit on the bench, can they? Shouldn't he be seeing the majority of the carries then?

the Talking Can
08-28-2005, 05:27 AM
Helped (leaving out some no brainers like Trent/Roaf):

Sims
LJ
Colquit
Wilson (he caught a pass!)
Mitchell and DJ
Hall
Knight (timing on blitz is perfect)

Hurt:

Allen (on his way to "sophmore slump")
Wesley (he still seems to be late in coverage)
Surtain (hit well, got beat repeatedly...just an off night)
Bo/Thorpe...did nothing
Fox...did nothing but get injured...again
Siavii....worthless p*ssy who deserves to be cut

Ignored:

Bell...only player on team who won't play injured...Trent calls him "Nancy"

JimNasium
08-28-2005, 06:48 AM
I was most disappointed in Ted White and Danan Hughes. If those guys don't step it up they're gone.

jiveturkey
08-28-2005, 08:33 AM
I've always liked Quinns arms strength.

If we're in a pinch and down to our 3rd QB I would rather have Quinn than DH. I wouldn't plan on doing a lot of winning with either.

Zebedee DuBois
08-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Have they thrown a ball in Bo's direction all preseason?
and if not.....why not?

WisChief
08-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Going to go out on a limb here and disagree about Quinn.

Reasoning:
The kid has been sitting on his tail hoping for a chance to return to the NFL and redeem himself. DV called him last week. He's had what? Maybe five days of practice before tonight's game? Rumor has it he was only signed yesterday.

Given that, I'd say he performed extremely well. Sure he made some mistakes, but I'd be willing to bet that any veteran player who had only five practice sessions before a game would be hard pressed to perform at top notch.

Time will tell.

All that aside however, STAY HEALTHY TRENT!

I was really ripping on this guy last night in the game thread - he sucks - ask the fans in Chicago how bad he is. Anyway... IF he is going to make this team and be the true #3 (#2 if Collins is hurt bad) then I agree with your take Dark - but why would Killian not be the future of this team based on his performances in the first 2 games? Not all world - but IMO he'll be gone from this team if put on the practice squad.

WisChief
08-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Have they thrown a ball in Bo's direction all preseason?
and if not.....why not?

Didn't Quinn miss him on the final drive last night???

Darkwolfe
08-28-2005, 09:18 AM
I was really ripping on this guy last night in the game thread - he sucks - ask the fans in Chicago how bad he is. Anyway... IF he is going to make this team and be the true #3 (#2 if Collins is hurt bad) then I agree with your take Dark - but why would Killian not be the future of this team based on his performances in the first 2 games? Not all world - but IMO he'll be gone from this team if put on the practice squad.

I agree with you on Kilian actually. Rumor is that he is a project. Personally, even though I gave Quinn some props here, I'd rather see Kilian get a shot. But, it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Will Kilian leave if he's on the PS? No telling, he may have enough idealism to stick it out and grow with the Chiefs. Maybe they'll send him over to NFLE this summer. That would be a very good choice I think.

If the cut him... :cuss:

If they keep Huard (no way in hell) :banghead:

Saul Good
08-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Dee Brown looked pretty good. Surtain had a rough go of it.

penchief
08-28-2005, 09:46 AM

I agree. If Killian has an accurate arm he's a good fit for our offense. If he possesses the intangibles of leadership and a competitive fire (which it sounds like he does), then he won't last long on the practice squad before some team with forsight snatches him away from us.

Even if Killian only has the potential to develop into a quality NFL quarterback that will be a first since I've been a Chiefs fan. And that has been a long, long time.

I say keep the kid on the active roster and give him every opportunity to mature during the regular season.

Rick
08-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Junior Savaii is a waste of space-- two spaces. I can't believe we took that f'n slug in the 2nd round.

Ambrose just ain't gonna cut it.

John Booth doesn't have a spot.

Jarrod Allen has done nothing to get his starting spot back.

McKenzie Smith looked good.

Richard Smith contributed.