PDA

View Full Version : You know what scares me about our defense...

cmh6476
08-28-2005, 10:11 AM
is the fact that we still don't seem to have any semblence of a pass rush. I went to the Minny game, and the game last night against the Seachickens. I didnt get to see most of the Cards game cause I was at a wedding. But in the two games I saw, I don't think we recorded one sack, and hardly ever did we put any pressure on Culpepper or Hasselbeck.

I think our linebackers have played extremely better than last year, and will be a strong point of the defense. I also think we will be fine at stopping the run.

I was also going through last year's stats for fantasy defense rankings, and to my surprise we were really up there last year as far as team sacks. What the hell is up with that, I don't remember us getting to the QB that much last year :shrug:

I also think our secondary is better than last year, by default. However, I don't really think it matters if we can't put pressure on the QB. Surtain got beat last night because Hasselbeck had all day to throw the ball. Our defense in the 90s was so solid not only because of our talent at the position, but because guys like DT, Neil Smith and Saleamua could get to the QB. They didn't have as much time to sstep back, find an open target, and get rid of the ball.

Does anyone else have some concerns here. Honestly, that really is about the only question in my mind. The offense last night on that first drive looked like they were already in mid-season form. DJ looks like a monster, and our LBers are really playing well IMO. Even the secondary is going to be good. But do we have anybody that can russ the pressure and put some pressure on the opposing QBs, so they don't have 10 seconds to sit back in the pocket and find an open receiver?

4th and Long
08-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Were you sound asleep during last weeks game when the starters were in? Besides, it's preseason, which only has one flavor. Vanilla. Fret not.

Rick
08-28-2005, 10:17 AM
We have no speed rushers from the outside unless Hall can do it. I think we may have counted too heavily on Jarrod Allen. I like everything else I've seen from the defense (Wesley questionable as is McCleon)

If Trent goes down for any substantial period of time we're screwed. Quinn in two days of practice looked better than Huard by far.

cmh6476
08-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Were you sound asleep during last weeks game when the starters were in? Besides, it's preseason, which only has one flavor. Vanilla. Fret not.
I just said I was at a wedding, and didn't get to see the 'Zona game. But, I wouldnt put too much thought in beating Arizona's O-Line. They aren't that good, are they? :shrug:

Wile_E_Coyote
08-28-2005, 10:19 AM
Allen got an ankle & penalized

4th and Long
08-28-2005, 10:20 AM
If Trent goes down for any substantial period of time we're screwed. Quinn in two days of practice looked better than Huard by far.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the thread title. Nice attempted at a hijacking, you terrorist. :p

cmh6476
08-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Allen got an ankle & penalized
Sims did get back there once last night, and got called for a personal foul.

My comment while sitting there was, "heh, that's awesome. At least sims was back in the backfield to even get a penalty!"

:thumb:

cmh6476
08-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the thread title. Nice attempted at a hijacking, you terrorist. :p
it does in the fact that I stated the only thing that scares me is the pass rush, while he was pointing out an injury to our QB could kill us. Did you even read the thread, or just the title? :p

:)

Coogs
08-28-2005, 10:22 AM

Gun blitzed like crazy against Arizona. Just like he did against the Rams last pre-season.

The front four pass rush is a bit suspect yet. The run defense though looks to be much improved.

4th and Long
08-28-2005, 10:23 AM
I just said I was at a wedding, and didn't get to see the 'Zona game. But, I wouldnt put too much thought in beating Arizona's O-Line. They aren't that good, are they? :shrug:
Yes, I believe you DID mention that, now that I went back a reread what you typed. I can see I'm going to have to file a lawsuit against Evelyn Woods and her speed reading classes.

As for the Cards O line, I can't say for sure. They are either not that good or our D was a better. Lets just say Warner had to run quite a bit last week and leave it at that, shall we? :D

4th and Long
08-28-2005, 10:26 AM
it does in the fact that I stated the only thing that scares me is the pass rush, while he was pointing out an injury to our QB could kill us. Did you even read the thread, or just the title? :p

:)
ROFL

The thread title is, "You know what scares me about our defense... "

Did Trent decide to play defense? If so, I'd be worried too. :p

Coogs
08-28-2005, 10:28 AM
As for the Cards O line, I can't say for sure. They are either not that good or our D was a better. Lets just say Warner had to run quite a bit last week and leave it at that, shall we? :D

It could have been all the blitzes Gun threw at the Cards... :hmmm:

4th and Long
08-28-2005, 10:36 AM
It could have been all the blitzes Gun threw at the Cards... :hmmm:
I like the way you think, Good Citizen. :D

go bo
08-28-2005, 10:43 AM
good citizen?

is this greece or rome?

no, no...

not the rome idiot on tv...

4th and Long
08-28-2005, 10:48 AM
good citizen?

is this greece or rome?

no, no...

It's Superhero speak. My apologies for confusing you, although I would think a man or your intelligence would have figured that out. Then again :bong: maybe not. :D

I was seriously considering you as a candidate for my trusty sidekick too, but until the Chiefs declare that Boerighter is in and Thorpe is out, I had to pass you up on the candidate list. The last thing I need is a sidekick named go crap. :p

TRR
08-28-2005, 10:51 AM
I thought the D Line had decent penetration last night. It's hard to sack a player like Hasselbeck, who really gets the ball out quickly. The player who impressed me the most was Carlos Hall, both on passing downs and running downs. He looked like a starter.

TEX
08-28-2005, 10:56 AM
We have no speed rushers from the outside unless Hall can do it. I think we may have counted too heavily on Jarrod Allen. I like everything else I've seen from the defense (Wesley questionable as is McCleon)

Yep on all accounts.

TEX
08-28-2005, 11:00 AM
I thought the D Line had decent penetration last night. It's hard to sack a player like Hasselbeck, who really gets the ball out quickly. The player who impressed me the most was Carlos Hall, both on passing downs and running downs. He looked like a starter.

Exactly and that's why I can't understand WHY D.V. was bagging on Hall afterwards. :hmmm: Saying he needs to get is "ass" on the field more and that he didn't play long enough for any type of an evaluation. What's up with that crap? Motivation? Frustration? If so, there's a certain player who shall remain nameless who D.V. needs to"motivate" the same way. :shake:

alanm
08-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Exactly and that's why I can't understand WHY D.V. was bagging on Hall afterwards. :hmmm: Saying he needs to get is "ass" on the field more and that he didn't play long enough for any type of an evaluation. What's up with that crap? Motivation? Frustration? If so, there's a certain player who shall remain nameless who D.V. needs to"motivate" the same way. :shake:
He bumped his knee and had a owie. That's why he didn't play more. I think the trainers are babying the players too much this preseason. Next week I can see being cautious but the first 3 games maybe not so.

htismaqe
08-28-2005, 11:14 AM

Hall hasn't been practicing due to injury and after the first series last night he looked REALLY winded.

I think saying he needs to get on the field more is a valid criticism. Not sure I like Vermeil's "technique".

picasso
08-28-2005, 11:30 AM
About sacking the QB - the rules have changed to protect the QB so much that defenses are leary about even pushing the guy. It has made the sack obsolete in that QBs around the league can gain that extra second to run out of the box and throw the ball away (Arizona game). I thought that KC did a great job at pressuring last night but each time they were slightly physical toward Hassellback they were penalized. RIDICULOUS!! May as well dress the guy in shorts and tshirt. Helmet of course is needed if he falls down and gets a concussion.

Bowser
08-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Hall hasn't been practicing due to injury and after the first series last night he looked REALLY winded.

I think saying he needs to get on the field more is a valid criticism. Not sure I like Vermeil's "technique".

He should save that "technique" for Bell.

Baby Lee
08-28-2005, 11:37 AM
good citizen?

is this greece or rome?

no, no...

Rome starts tonight on HBO. Let's hear it for lots of steamy Mediterranean sex and sadistic violence.

Gaz
08-28-2005, 11:40 AM
The run D appears improved. That is serious good news.

Sims is looking good. Finally. I am still waiting for the improved DT play to generate improved DE play. That is what is supposed to happen.

I have been quite pleased with Mitchell. The coaches said he would “get it” and it looks like he has “gotten it” just fine.

It is disappointing that Bell has not seen the field, but it is too soon for despair on that note. We knew he was a risk when we signed him, as demonstrated by the structure of his contract.

Thus far, I see improvement is every aspect of the D.

But, as we all know, it is only preseason. I will have to wait until they put on the spurs for real to evaluate the new D.

xoxo~
Gaz
Likes the glimpses he has seen thus far.

Baby Lee
08-28-2005, 11:42 AM
It is disappointing that Bell has not seen the field, but it is too soon for despair on that note. We knew he was a risk when we signed him, as demonstrated by the structure of his contract.
I think DV has decided that Bell only has an on/off switch. He doesn't have a 'it's preseason so don't go out there and hurt yourself tackling some guy who won't even be in the league next week' switch.
He's scared to death of 'Kris Wilsoning' Bell.

Gaz
08-28-2005, 11:44 AM
It is frustrating that we have no idea why Bell is not playing.

Still, I will not weep unless he is AWOL when we take on the Jets.

xoxo~
Gaz
Used to being under-informed.

4th and Long
08-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Do you know what really scares me about our defense this year? It actually looks like we are going to have one!

TEX
08-28-2005, 12:15 PM
I think DV has decided that Bell only has an on/off switch. He doesn't have a 'it's preseason so don't go out there and hurt yourself tackling some guy who won't even be in the league next week' switch.
He's scared to death of 'Kris Wilsoning' Bell.

I disagree. D.V. WANTS Bell out there. It's Bell that syas he's not ready.

jidar
08-28-2005, 01:09 PM
I saw Hall doing some good things in that game for the short time he was in. Also, you say there were no sacks but didn't he have one?

beer bacon
08-28-2005, 01:16 PM
It seemed to me that we had good penetration last night, and that is one of the reasons why the Seahawks started doing the three step drop. There isn't really any time to get pressure against that. Before that there were some plays where Hasselbeck had lots of time, but also lots of plays where our d-line got lots of pressure.

milkman
08-28-2005, 01:40 PM
It seemed to me that we had good penetration last night, and that is one of the reasons why the Seahawks started doing the three step drop. There isn't really any time to get pressure against that. Before that there were some plays where Hasselbeck had lots of time, but also lots of plays where our d-line got lots of pressure.

I'm not sure what game cmh was watching last night, but the D-Line was getting penetration in the plays that I saw on that "No Huddle" crap, and from the game descriptions on the radio.

Hasselbeck, from what I saw was being harrassed early, after which the Hawks starting using the slant and getting the ball out in 2-3 seconds.

At no time did I hear, or see, Hasselbeck get more than 3-4 seconds to stand in the pocket.

cmh6476
08-28-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure what game cmh was watching last night, but the D-Line was getting penetration in the plays that I saw on that "No Huddle" crap, and from the game descriptions on the radio.

Hasselbeck, from what I saw was being harrassed early, after which the Hawks starting using the slant and getting the ball out in 2-3 seconds.

At no time did I hear, or see, Hasselbeck get more than 3-4 seconds to stand in the pocket.
yeah, I guess the slants are what really killed us last night. The one I noted where it appeared he had all day to throw was when Surtain got beat deep by D Jax. I just wish we had some players that were in the backfield on almost every play, and starting to get in the QB's heads. Like it used to be, I think that'd really put our D over the top!

Put Neil Smith in his prime at either end position and we have a hell of a defense on our hands!

milkman
08-28-2005, 01:59 PM
yeah, I guess the slants are what really killed us last night. The one I noted where it appeared he had all day to throw was when Surtain got beat deep by D Jax. I just wish we had some players that were in the backfield on almost every play, and starting to get in the QB's heads. Like it used to be, I think that'd really put our D over the top!

Put Neil Smith in his prime at either end position and we have a hell of a defense on our hands!

Even in the best days of Marty's teams, our D didn't get pressure on every passing down.
Those were some outstanding Ds Marty fielded, but there are times when even the best D isn't going to apply pressure.

chief mohawk
08-28-2005, 02:08 PM
i think that carlos hall looked great last night! he showed good speed off the edge. hicks and wilkerson are just to slow. one guy that might develop pretty fast is kahari long. we might not be able to stash him on the PS. :banghead:

go bo
08-30-2005, 12:15 PM
It's Superhero speak. My apologies for confusing you, although I would think a man or your intelligence would have figured that out. Then again :bong: maybe not. :D

I was seriously considering you as a candidate for my trusty sidekick too, but until the Chiefs declare that Boerighter is in and Thorpe is out, I had to pass you up on the candidate list. The last thing I need is a sidekick named go crap. :pbusted... :bong:

ya know, go crap has a nice ring to it... :D :D :D

MOhillbilly
08-30-2005, 12:23 PM

Thats crazy talk. KC has a rungame second to noone. Not to mention the best tightend ever.
ohhh and the line is prettyfair.

cmh6476
08-30-2005, 01:09 PM
yeah, 'zona has a great O-Line!

Arizona's offensive line will undermine J.J. Arrington
Arrington has spent most of the preseason dancing around the backfield, waiting for holes that never develop. He's rushed for no gain or lost yardage on roughly 30 percent of his preseason carries. Arrington has natural cutting skills, but doesn't appear quite ready to compensate for NFL speed. His offensive line, which is allowing defenders to reach him in the backfield, isn't helping. We were also disappointed to see Arrington "tap out" of the game near the goal line this weekend because he was tired. He doesn't appear quite ready to carry the full load of an NFL running back.

Five Worst Offensive Lines
5. Arizona Cardinals - The Cardinals are working on their fourth center of training camp. Kurt Warner has been under attack and complaining. J.J. Arrington hasn't looked comfortable. This could be a big problem for Arrington, Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/story/4820522

:D

Dunit35
08-30-2005, 01:56 PM
I thought for the limited amount of playing time Hall had, he looked solid... Allen needs to quit bein a sophmore wuss and realize last year means nothing now...we dont care what he did last year now...

Rick
08-30-2005, 09:05 PM
Thats crazy talk. KC has a rungame second to noone. Not to mention the best tightend ever.
ohhh and the line is prettyfair.
Yeah, we looked great with Okoye and Word with no quarterback. We scored about 10 pts a game and went nowhere in the playoffs.

milkman
08-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Yeah, we looked great with Okoye and Word with no quarterback. We scored about 10 pts a game and went nowhere in the playoffs.

I'm just gonna leave it alone.
I won't say it. I won't say it.

Ah screw it, who am I kidding?

The reason we went nowhere in the playoffs is Marty.

I feel better now.