PDA

View Full Version : Postgame quotes

Fire Me Boy!
08-28-2005, 03:31 PM
I didn't see this anywhere... my apologies if it's a repost.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/08/27/dick_vermeil__seattle/

Head Coach Dick Vermeil

“Within the circumstances of that football game I felt very fortunate to be in a position to have those kids try to win it at the end of the ballgame. Obviously, we would have liked to have won the football game but we got a lot of things done.

“I really was pleased with the way the defense played against the run in the first half. We all know that’s a fine running back and a good running team. I thought our first offense did a good job when they were in there. I didn’t bring the first offense out in the second half because Willie Roaf’s back was bothering him and the only two offensive linemen that I had left that were true starters were my left guard and center, so I just decided to bring out the whole second offensive unit intact because they worked together more that way.

“There were some good things. The long run by Larry Johnson was blocked clean. No one laid a hand on him. Just blocked clean. Once he gets out in the open very few people are going to catch him from behind.

“A really courageous job by Jonathan Quinn. Jonathan Quinn came in here on a Tuesday and ended up playing over three quarters of the football game. Just remarkable. What a burden that puts on your offensive coordinator calling plays. Even on the practice field he was only acting as our backup quarterback. It shows you how bright he is.

Q: Was the decision to pull Trent having to do with the numbness he had in his foot:

VERMEIL: “Early in the week he had a numbness develop in his calf that went down into his toe. When you massage it, it comes out and he goes ahead and practices. In pre-game warm-ups it bothered him. He could play but after the second series because it was bothering him we just took him out. It comes and goes. When he threw that interception he got stepped on and pulled right out of his shoe. So we said, let’s get him out of him.”

Q: How did the defensive line play?

VERMEIL: “The defensive tackles did a really good job. Sometimes they don’t make the play but the ruin it. They spill it out and destroy all the blocking inside and the running back doesn’t have any cut-back lanes.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/08/27/chiefs_player_quotes_seattle/

RB LARRY JOHNSON:
On his 97-yard touchdown run

“I was kind of hesitant because I couldn’t believe how open [the hole] was. Usually you’re waiting for a linebacker to make a move and there was no one there. Once I got through and saw that I could explode, I did. I was running like a pack of wolves were after me, I was hoping that no one would catch me.“

LB KAWIKA MITCHELL
On the defensive performance in the first half: “Everyone was doing their job and everyone was doing it aggressively. When you do that, the offense can’t run much and they can’t pass much. There are not many options for them, so if we keep doing it, then that is what’s going to happen.“

On his confidence and that of the defense: “I think it’s there and has been there. I think I’ve had a good camp and that was one of my goals. As a defense we’re feeling each other and starting to learn what we’re going to do with each other and it’s going to keep getting better from here.“

CB PATRICK SURTAIN
On tonight’s performance: “It’s preseason, it’s practice really. Of course you want to go out there and do your best, but the real bullets don’t start flying until September 11th. Tonight was one of those nights. They had a great game plan and those guys executed really well and we didn’t execute on defense. You’ve got to take the good with the bad and move on.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/08/27/seattle_head_coach_mike_holmgren/

Seattle Head Coach Mike Holmgren
On the game

“I think we learned a little bit about our football team tonight. I know Kansas City has an outstanding offensive football team. They displayed it on their first drive and then we settled in a little bit and played better defense which was good. We played against a good offensive football team. I know Trent Green was not in there after awhile but working against their offensive line and against Priest Holmes and stuff that’s always good work for our defense. I thought they did a pretty decent job really tonight.“

On the Seahawks offense: “Offensively we got off to a slow start and then we settled in a little bit and did some good things. We missed a couple throws that would have helped us early. We got a running game going a little bit but that is something we still have to improve upon, that’s for sure.“

On the injuries suffered in the game: “Other than “Pork Chop” [RT Floyd Womack], who hurt his elbow; we will know more about the extent of that injury tomorrow. I don’t think we have any real bad ones. [WR D.J.] Hackett hurt his knee just a little bit. Kerry Carter had a little bit of an ankle injury. I think those are the main ones.“

Seattle Player Quotes
DE GRANT WISTROM
On accomplishing goals in today’s game: “We won. And, that’s the first thing in the pre-season. . .you want to win the game. We gave up that long run on defense, so that hurt us. But at the same time, for the most part, our defense played pretty solid.“

QB MATT HASSELBECK
On WR Darrel Jackson: “Darrel thrives in this humidity. He grew up in it, and he just seems to play well. We’ll just hope that keeps rollin’ in Week 1 against Jacksonville.“

On the game plan: “No, we had no game plan. Our game plan was just to run our offense and hopefully it works. We only had two days of practice; we really didn’t get to see much film on Kansas City. It took us a while to figure them out on third down. We finally made some adjustments and were able to move the ball.”

Thig Lyfe
08-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Great LJ quote.

"I was running like a pack of wolves were after me, I was hoping that no one would catch me."

milkman
08-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Mike Holmgren said they got their run game going?

Is he talking about the 23 yards on 12 carries that Shaun Alexander dropped on our D?

morphius
08-29-2005, 06:02 AM
LOL! I find it funny how they take good things from beating a QB who has had 3 days of practice. Hell, if your D can't stop a guy unable to hit anything longer then 5 yards you damn well better look good out there.

Morphius
(yes, I know Quinn hit one long pass)

the Talking Can
08-29-2005, 06:20 AM
Mike Holmgren said they got their run game going?

Is he talking about the 23 yards on 12 carries that Shaun Alexander dropped on our D?

He also said "Our OL pwned!1!21 Kendrell Bell"

chagrin
08-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Great LJ quote.

"I was running like a pack of wolves were after me, I was hoping that no one would catch me."

Sweet sig dude

KChiefs1
08-29-2005, 06:56 AM
Amazing how the Seahawk defense settled down after Trent left & Quinn entered the game huh?

jynni
08-29-2005, 07:23 AM
“We won. And, that’s the first thing in the pre-season. . .you want to win the game.
He does know these games don't count right?

Brock
08-29-2005, 07:28 AM
He does know these games don't count right?

Yeah - Personally, I think priority one is to not lose any starters. I couldn't care less who wins.