PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with DICK VERMEIL, 8/29

Donger
08-29-2005, 03:54 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/08/29/qa_with_dick_vermeil25/

DICK VERMEIL: “The first player I want to talk about is veteran Quinton Caver, who’s been with us for three and a half years. Done a really great job on special teams, made over 40 special teams tackles and started four games for us. Just a super guy but with our draft choices and the acquisition of Kendrell Bell it makes it really tough for that kind of guy (to make it). By letting him go a week earlier than we have to, we give him an opportunity to be evaluated by the rest of league and we may be able to help him get a job.

“But he’s a great kid and he’s helped my wife on the Operation Breakthrough program and been good in the community. We’ll miss him; you always miss those kinds of guys who help you build a football team. But that’s part of it.

“The young players that have been released are Sam Gado, Mike Johnson from Kansas State, Darius Jones from Wisconsin, Mike Kallfelz and Justin Perkins from Connecticut, a good young corner prospect, but right now there’s just not enough room on the roster for him, especially with the two seasoned veterans we added. That’s what we’ve done right now. We have a few more decisions to make.

“In regard to our ballgame Saturday night, overall, I’m pleased. You know in pre-season games the evaluation process is a little different: you evaluate the individual and if he’s making strides in his fundamentals and fitting in the scheme you feel good. If one side of the ball shows improvement – like our defense did — and your good players play well when they had their time to play, then you start to say it was a successful game even though you lost.

“Those parameters for measuring success disintegrate as soon as we get into the league season because nothing matters except winning. Play poorly and win, doesn’t matter, just win. But you go through this process trying to get a little bit better each ballgame and we are definitely better, especially from a defensive standpoint. The defensive line played its best ballgame; our two tackles stepped up and accepted the challenge of improving their performance. Ryan Sims played some very big time defense inside. Our linebackers are continuing to grow. Derrick Johnson ruined as many plays as he made.

“I think our defensive ends played well. We need to continue to get better rushing the passer. We’re giving up too many passing yards right now; the quarterback efficiency rating against us is too high right now. But I think we’re going in the right direction. I think we’ll be a better defensive football team. I think we’re going in the right direction and be a better defensive football team. I think it’s pretty glaring to most people.

“I really appreciate the intensity that they’re playing defense. When you hold (Shaun) Alexander to, what, 23 yards rushing in 12 carries that’s less than two yards a carry. He had one 11 yard run in that third quarter drive. We did a good job there, but we didn’t shut down the passing game. You don’t expect to shut it down but you’ve got to do a better job.

“Offensively, I thought we executed with the first unit very well. We went right down the field against a good football team and scored. Our rhythm was good, we were very simple and sound in our approach; our fundamentals were good. We ran the ball very well; Larry (Johnson) ran the ball extremely well and we blocked some plays extremely well for Larry. Of course, the 97-yard run was the highlight of the game. We just showed it to the team a few minutes ago so they all could rejoice. They all participated in that run because no one touched him. Like I said, when you combine fundamentals and execution with speed that’s what you get. You don’t see one of those very often.

“Our concerns right now are pass defense, improvement of our right tackle play in terms of pass protection; I hope that our stamina is good. It’s hard to say. I had planned to play our starting offense into the third quarter but then we didn’t have our quarterback, then Willie Roaf’s back started bothering him, and we weren’t starting our right tackle anyway and then our right guard we only planned to play 20 plays and he played 23. With only two offensive starters left in the offensive line, I just said we’ll go with all the young kids. Nevertheless, I think we got out of the game what we wanted to get out. We didn’t get anybody seriously injured. We got a couple of shoulder dings that shouldn’t prevent anyone from playing.”

Q: What will happen to Shawn Barber?

VERMEIL: “Shawn Barber will go on physically-unable-to-perform and he’ll be on there for six weeks and after that he’ll be able to start working out. We can work him out for two weeks and at that time we will determine either to activate him or put him on IR. He won’t count against our 53-man roster.”

Q: Do you have any interest in Corey Simon who is now available?

VERMEIL: “I would. We haven’t talked about yet. But I plan to talk about it. I just don’t know if we have the money that it would take to get involved. He would be a tremendous addition, believe me. I think everybody in the National Football League at least has to have an interest to inquire.”

Q: Junior Siavii finally got on the field Saturday night. What did you think of him?

VERMEIL: “Way behind where he ought to be. He’s just missed too much work and played like it. He did a couple good things but that’s about all. He just needs a lot of work to catch up. A guy that size who misses that much work is going to need some time. I expect him to be a lot better this week and be able to keep practicing because of his knee problems.”

Q: Is there any shot he gets on IR because of his knee or even be released?

VERMEIL: “No. The football playing ability is there; it’s just all been detained because of the injury factor. We’ve had bad luck with defensive linemen, all the young guys. Eddie Freeman after his rookie year never played in a pre-season game. We had Eric Downing who was hurt and then our first round pick, Ryan Sims, came in his rookie year and he got hurt. We’ve had problems keeping defensive tackles healthy. I don’t know if it’s something we’re doing. But (Siavii) has to stay healthy and work to catch up. His performance doesn’t match his ability right now.”

Q: Where’s John Browning?

VERMEIL: “He’ll be ready to practice some this week, but I still don’t believe we’ll play him. I think he’ll be ready to play in the Jets game.”

Q: What about Kendrell Bell?

VERMEIL: “Kendrell Bell will play this week.”

Q: For sure?

VERMEIL: “Yes.”

Q: What about his shoulder?

VERMEIL: “I think mentally and physically he thinks it’s better. Mentally he feels more confident in turning it loose and testing it.”

Q: He had a shoulder injury last year or something like that?

VERMEIL: “Last year was a groin problem. He has a shoulder problem but through rehab he has gradually corrected it.”

Q: Any update on Trent Green and the soreness in his leg?

VERMEIL: “Well, they’ve ruled everything out. They can’t find anything wrong. They’ve MRI’d, CAT scanned, mammogramed. (laughed) They’ve done the whole thing. I said give him every test you can give him. That’s how it is and they can’t find anything wrong.”

Q: Are you overly concerned?

VERMEIL: “Not overly concerned. We’re aware that it’s there and doing everything we can to treat it properly.”

Q: Could he have played a full game had it been regular season?

VERMEIL: “He could have the other day. He said he could have. Whenever you have that as a quarterback it’s a distraction, takes away your focus and concentration. He played pretty well with it. He was six of seven. He proved he could play with it, but I don’t know how long. He came off the field and they massaged it and relieved it. The numbness in the foot goes away but it comes back as he exercises again.”

Q: Will any of the injured quarterbacks be back this Friday night?

VERMEIL: “I think (Damon) Huard will be ready to go.”

Q: He will practice tomorrow?

VERMEIL: “I think so.”

Q: Kris Griffin?

VERMEIL: “Kris Griffin’s got a chance to play.”

Q: Do you think Trent will start Friday night?

VERMEIL: “Yes. I’d like to think the starters will play at least a quarter, just like I’ve always done in the fourth game (of pre-season.) Maybe Shields a few more snaps because he’s only played 23 snaps this whole training camp. He needs some. But we’ll talk and discuss that more.”

Q: What about Carlos Hall?

VERMEIL: “He’ll play; I think he’ll play a little bit more. I’m concerned about his knees getting sore.”

Q: Isn’t it his elbow?

VERMEIL: “No. His knees got sore. He played awfully well when he was in there. He’s a playmaker. But it’s a problem he’s had for a few years of his career. He said, ‘coach, if it were not a pre-season game I wouldn’t have come out. I would have stayed and played.’ It’s pro football to him because he’s used to sore knees.”

Q: Do you need another week to evaluate those veteran corners?

VERMEIL: “Well, you’d like to have another week. They both can still play. Which one can still play the best is the hardest decision.”

Q: Any chance Freddie Mitchell is there this weekend?

VERMEIL: “He will play this weekend. We worked him out full-speed today and he worked out very good. He’ll work his butt off all week and get ready to play. It’s an intense audition.”

Q: How did he look?

VERMEIL: “He looked good. I didn’t go to the workout but Al Saunders and Charlie Joiner were and they said he worked out just like when we brought him here full-speed. He looked like Freddie Mitchell’s supposed to look. We’ll see if he can carry that through the week in preparation and into the ballgame.”

Q: How would you ultimately like to use Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know; I really don’t know. I don’t know if there’s a scientific way to do it. I think there’s an impulsive way to do it. You see someone who’s breathing a little hard, who’s carried the ball three times and got whacked pretty good; boom, you send the other guy in.

“But I have never been in a position where I’ve had two running backs with comparable skills. Not many coaches have. I think we’ll learn how to use it best as we go along and may have specific things in each game plan for each guy.

“I’ve never really liked to run running backs by committee. But I’ve never had two guys like this before. It’s not a problem. It’s better to be that way than have only one guy.”

Q: Is there one thing that you see that Larry does better than Priest or that Priest does better than Larry?

VERMEIL: “Well, they both have differences. Larry has more top-end speed. Priest can probably make a little bit more out of nothing. When things break down at the line of scrimmage he can make all those darting cuts, ricochets, and with his smaller body and shorter legs and a shorter center of gravity he can make more things happen in that area. But he’s not as fast once he gets into the open and isn’t as strong in the legs as Larry is. But Priest is very strong in the shoulder pads because he gets his pads down and can use them as battering rams where a taller guy uses the power in his legs. So, they’re two different styles. It’s an unbelievable one-two punch.”

Q: Do you worry about guys becoming frustrated about not playing as much?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know if anyone not playing as much as he thinks he ought to play is ever really happy. But I think most of the time they’re professional. I think I have a lot of young guys who would be more happy if they played more.”

Donger
08-29-2005, 03:55 PM
"Derrick Johnson ruined as many plays as he made."

What does that mean?

ChiefsKing
08-29-2005, 03:58 PM
"Derrick Johnson ruined as many plays as he made."

What does that mean?

Even when he didn't "make the play" he did enough to let other people to make the play

Donger
08-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Even when he didn't "make the play" he did enough to let other people to make the play

Heh. I read that totally differently. As in, "he screwed up as many plays as he made."

Mr. Laz
08-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Heh. I read that totally differently. As in, "he screwed up as many plays as he made."

could be either way :shrug:

Hog Rider
08-29-2005, 04:03 PM

Amazing, isn't it? Two guys can both be touching an elephants leg,
and one of them thinks it's a tail!

Not that there is anything wrong with touching an elephants leg!

Hammock Parties
08-29-2005, 04:05 PM
I noticed Derrick Johnson played alot on the weakside. Is it possible the Chiefs are preparing for Kendrell Bell's extended absence by moving DJ back to the weakside?

And of course, Huard is going to play on Friday and SHOW ALL YOU MUTHER FUGGERS UP! :cuss:

Calcountry
08-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Heh. I read that totally differently. As in, "he screwed up as many plays as he made."Dude, 16 Candles was on AMC last night.

lmao. Thats all you dude.

Donger
08-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Dude, 16 Candles was on AMC last night.

lmao. Thats all you dude.

Huh?

Red Dawg
08-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Starters playing Friday? What the hell for?

Rain Man
08-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Dress rehearsal, I presume.

keg in kc
08-29-2005, 04:34 PM
I don't want to see any of our starters in a dress.

morphius
08-29-2005, 04:40 PM
I noticed Derrick Johnson played alot on the weakside. Is it possible the Chiefs are preparing for Kendrell Bell's extended absence by moving DJ back to the weakside?

And of course, Huard is going to play on Friday and SHOW ALL YOU MUTHER FUGGERS UP! :cuss:
I thought Gun or Vermeil made it pretty clear that they don't really play a strong side and a weak side LB, mostly just a left or a right LB.

keg in kc
08-29-2005, 04:41 PM
I thought Gun or Vermeil made it pretty clear that they don't really play a strong side and a weak side LB, mostly just a left or a right LB.That would be Gun. Vermeil still talks about players as strong or weak sometimes, but the system actually uses right and left.

Hammock Parties
08-29-2005, 04:42 PM
I thought Gun or Vermeil made it pretty clear that they don't really play a strong side and a weak side LB, mostly just a left or a right LB.

Maybe I'm confused. DJ is supposed to be playing behind Eric Hicks mostly, correct? I saw him lined up behind Carlos Hall/Wilkerson quite a bit the other night.

Of course I saw Jared Allen lined up at LDE alot too...

keg in kc
08-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Yeah, DJ has been playing the left side primarily in the base.

morphius
08-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Maybe I'm confused. DJ is supposed to be playing behind Eric Hicks mostly, correct? I saw him lined up behind Carlos Hall/Wilkerson quite a bit the other night.

Of course I saw Jared Allen lined up at LDE alot too...
With it being preseason it was hard to tell, and with Allen losing his starting job they might have moved some of the guys around a bit to see what they do. At least it looked that way with Allen.

milkman
08-29-2005, 05:25 PM
So Bell will play this week.

No one in this thread has talked about that.

That is a glaring oversight.

Does anyone believe it?

beer bacon
08-29-2005, 05:32 PM

Does anyone believe it?

He isn't putting any qualifiers about getting okayed by the doctors or anything this week, so I think that is a step up. I am still not going to actually believe it until I see him out there on the field.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Attention, Planet, Bell is playing this week.

Someone override the implosion code. Over.

milkman
08-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Attention, Planet, Bell is playing this week.

Someone override the implosion code. Over.

ROFL

go bo
08-29-2005, 07:12 PM

And of course, Huard is going to play on Friday and SHOW ALL YOU MUTHER FUGGERS UP! :cuss:yeah, it seemed like dj was on the right side some times, and did a nice job...

i thought key fox had a few nice plays on runs where he filled the hole and knocked the runner down...

but i was disappointed that he didn't get a chance to run over a fullback this game...

go bo
08-29-2005, 07:14 PM

Of course I saw Jared Allen lined up at LDE alot too...dj played both sides...

he's taking after scanloon...

the Talking Can
08-29-2005, 07:16 PM
dj played both sides...

no, Scanlon "goes both ways"....there's a difference

Reaper16
dj played both sides...

Ya' know, there are multiple ways to interpret that...

go bo
With it being preseason it was hard to tell, and with Allen losing his starting job they might have moved some of the guys around a bit to see what they do. At least it looked that way with Allen.looked like they were trying out allen at lde and carlos hall at rde...

i don't think allen will be as effective from the left side, but he's still probably better than hicks as a pass rusher...

dj should make whoever plays over there better, i'm pretty sure of that...

keg in kc
08-29-2005, 07:17 PM
dj played both sides...

he's taking after scanloon...FYI, "playing both sides" is a little different than "going both ways" or "playing for both teams".

go bo
08-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Ya' know, there are multiple ways to interpret that...you and can have dirty minds...

nttawwt... :p :p :p

keg in kc
08-29-2005, 07:18 PM
looked like they were trying out allen at lde and carlos hall at rde...

i don't think allen will be as effective from the left side, but he's still probably better than hicks as a pass rusher...

dj should make whoever plays over there better, i'm pretty sure of that...I don't know that Allen could be any worse than Hicks has the last few years. Either way, we'll probably see a good bit of Allen and Hall nickel and dime.

go bo
08-29-2005, 07:20 PM
FYI, "playing both sides" is a little different than "going both ways" or "playing for both teams".geeze, i shoulda charged admission for that post... :harumph: :harumph: :harumph:

keg in kc
08-29-2005, 07:21 PM
geeze, i shoulda charged admission for that post... That's not the kind of show I'd want to watch.

NTTAWWT

Sicko.

Traveller
08-29-2005, 07:30 PM

Does anyone believe it?

When I actually seem him trot out to take a spot on the defense on the field. Not just suited up.

Traveller
08-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Q: How would you ultimately like to use Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know; I really don’t know. I don’t know if there’s a scientific way to do it. I think there’s an impulsive way to do it. You see someone who’s breathing a little hard, who’s carried the ball three times and got whacked pretty good; boom, you send the other guy in.

“But I have never been in a position where I’ve had two running backs with comparable skills. Not many coaches have. I think we’ll learn how to use it best as we go along and may have specific things in each game plan for each guy.

“I’ve never really liked to run running backs by committee. But I’ve never had two guys like this before. It’s not a problem. It’s better to be that way than have only one guy.”

It's interesting to see Vermeil right out in the open wonder how they are going to use LJ. Earlier in training camp it was, "Priest is our starter." This is the first time Vermeil has just out right acknowledged that they recognize that they can't keep LJ of the field.

LJ needs and is going to get the right amount touches during a game.

If LJ comes in and takes over a game, it just may happen that he's the guy leading the running attack, with Priest coming in to spell a him. That seems odd to even type that.

I'm still leery of giving LJ too much too soon. Priest will start and be game planned for the majority of the snaps. But quite honestly, Priest is the one who's going to have to dazzle if LJ keeps coming off the bench as strong as he has.

shaneo69
08-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Q: Junior Siavii finally got on the field Saturday night. What did you think of him?

VERMEIL: “Way behind where he ought to be. He’s just missed too much work and played like it. He did a couple good things but that’s about all. He just needs a lot of work to catch up. A guy that size who misses that much work is going to need some time. I expect him to be a lot better this week and be able to keep practicing because of his knee problems.”

Q: Is there any shot he gets on IR because of his knee or even be released?

VERMEIL: “No. The football playing ability is there; it’s just all been detained because of the injury factor. We’ve had bad luck with defensive linemen, all the young guys. Eddie Freeman after his rookie year never played in a pre-season game. We had Eric Downing who was hurt and then our first round pick, Ryan Sims, came in his rookie year and he got hurt. We’ve had problems keeping defensive tackles healthy. I don’t know if it’s something we’re doing. But (Siavii) has to stay healthy and work to catch up. His performance doesn’t match his ability right now.”

This is the only part of this Q&A that I didn't like. Siavii sucks. Cut his ass already.

Halfcan
08-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Sorry shane-looks like Junior will be riding the pine again this year. I can't believe the guy is that huge and gets pushed around like a little biatch.

Between the lines DV is saying-we screwed up, and if this fatazz has to sell beer at halftime we are going to get our money out of this p#ssy.

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 06:06 AM
Q: Any update on Trent Green and the soreness in his leg?

VERMEIL: “Well, they’ve ruled everything out. They can’t find anything wrong. They’ve MRI’d, CAT scanned, mammogramed. (laughed) They’ve done the whole thing. I said give him every test you can give him. That’s how it is and they can’t find anything wrong.”

I cannot believe that DV inferred that Green is a woman. Disgraceful to put down your QB like that. This is worse than the diapers comment.

This team is going 3-13.

Cormac
08-30-2005, 07:52 AM
Lots of good stuff in this interview.

I can't believe nobody has jumped all over his direct interest in Corey Simon! I can't see us getting him, but DV offered some real insight in this interview.

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Lots of good stuff in this interview.

I can't believe nobody has jumped all over his direct interest in Corey Simon! I can't see us getting him, but DV offered some real insight in this interview.

Yeah, that was an improvement over "he'll have to come in and compete as a backup to Montique Sharpe."

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 08:24 AM
So did anybody ever figure out what he meant in his comments about Derrick Johnson?

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 08:29 AM
On 810 this morning they were talking about Siavii and that Sharpe was the only guy on the depth chart behind him, so we need him bad.

And I'm thinking to myself "Huh? Sharpe is BETTER than Siavii. This is a good thing."

Sad. Truly sad.

Cormac
08-30-2005, 09:54 AM
So did anybody ever figure out what he meant in his comments about Derrick Johnson?

I definitely think he meant that DJ disrupted as many plays for the opposition as he made tackles himself. DV loves to say a guy "ruined" plays and he means it in the best way possible. Although, he usually uses it to defend Hicks, Sims and others :D to point out what joe-fan doesn't notice....

TEX
08-30-2005, 10:44 AM

Why don't you just tell him what he meant?

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Why don't you just tell him what he meant?

That's not my thing.

You're the one that likes to point out how the team is all a bunch of liars.

TEX
08-30-2005, 12:24 PM
That's not my thing.

You're the one that likes to point out how the team is all a bunch of liars.

Wow, no name calling? I'm impressed. Yep, whatever the Chiefs say must be Gospel.

Anyway, you missed the point. I'm saying that since nothing was really said - you should tell DV what he meant. That's way different than disputing an explination which you belieive to be less than truthful because there's far more latitude to extract a meaning - so go knock yourself out.

htismaqe
08-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Wow, no name calling? I'm impressed. Yep, whatever the Chiefs say must be Gospel.

Anyway, you missed the point. I'm saying that since nothing was really said - you should tell DV what he meant. That's way different than disputing an explination which you belieive to be less than truthful because there's far more latitude to extract a meaning - so go knock yourself out.

You're a whiney bitch. How's that for name calling.

I don't take everything the Chiefs say as gospel. In fact, I pretty much assume that everything that comes out of Vermeil's mouth is a lie.

The difference is that it doesn't make me cry like it does you.