PDA

View Full Version : Great CHIEFS Moments

chagrin
08-30-2005, 09:02 AM
Kind of a spinoff thread since it was mentioned on the other thread.

I am definitely interested in reading about the old timers and newcomers and in between fans and their favorite memories of game moments. For example,
My favorite:
The '94 CHIEFS/DONKS game with Joe taking us all the way down field with something like 1:30 left.

Or perhaps the Playoff game with Keith Cash throwing the ball at the big mural poster of Buddy Ryan in the Astrodome, Tim Grunhard was crying in the post game interview, screaming about respect...awesome!.

Tamarick Vanover running the kickoff in OT against San Diego on the Monday night game.

So many awesome finishes and scores.

Please share some of these as we get ready for the new season!

Bowser
08-30-2005, 09:10 AM
The Monday Nighter in 1990 against the Buffalo Bills at Arrowhead. They still have no idea what hit them.

Demonpenz
08-30-2005, 09:11 AM
that 13-3 season we had both times those were magical

siberian khatru
Vanover's punt return was special for me because I was in a dark hospital room -- my infant son had pneumonia (he was and is OK), he and the wife were asleep. I had been watching the game on TV. As Vanover returned the punt, I was silently jumping up and down in the room, unable to scream like I normally would. It was weird and memorable.

I also nominate Stoyo's mile-long FG (what was it, 53 yards?) to beat the Broncos at Arrowhead. I was listening to the game on the radio here in Savannah (a local station carried two Westwood One national games each Sunday). I was lying face down on the floor listening to them line up, thinking "No way, no way ... don't get your hopes up." The announcers made it sound like it had a chance ... it had a chance ... their voices were rising ... I'm thinking "NO WAY" ... IT'S GOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!

I leaped to my feet and just screamed and danced around forever.

I think the last time I did that, was the OT win against Green Bay in 2003. What an incredible game.

teedubya
DT's Seven Sack vs Seahags... [even though we lost on last play]

Tamarick Vanovers OT Kickoff return

Dantes Return vs Donks on 10-05-03

[all three of which I was present. :-)]

Stoyanovich's Game Winning Field Goal vs Donkos in 1997 was pretty tight also.

chagrin
08-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Stoyo hit several 50+ yearders that year didn't he?

I think that one was 54 yeards againt Denver.

Khatru - that is a cool story dude!

Ali - I am jealous as usual!

Nzoner
08-30-2005, 09:17 AM
I was at that MNF game in Denver and to this day I have yet to experience a greater Chiefs moment.

A few others that rank up there for me though are....

'94 home opener against the 49'ers,when DT crushed Young in the endzone forcing the fumble and safety.

The '91 MNF game at Arrowhead when the undefeated Bills came to town and left with a 33-6 loss.

Last year's game against Atlanta's #1 ranked rush defense and setting a record for most rush td's in a game.

The first season that Bo Jackson returned as a Raider and KY-102 held a banner contest relating to Bo and his hobbies.The winning banner read AL DAVIS' FAVORITE HOBBY,GIVING BO JOBS

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Three things about that Stoyo game that I remember:

1. On the Donks' final drive, I turned to my wife and said, "Watch, they're gonna pick on Mark McMillian exclusively on this drive." And sure enough, I think just about every pass was to Ed McCaffrey, who was like a foot taller than Mighty Mouse.

2. Elway screwed up. They were trying to run a safe play to move the ball into better position for the FG, and Elway ran a QB sneak. Except he went laterally too much and was tackled behind the line of scrimmage. That constituted a sack, and it stopped the clock, giving the Chiefs a precious few more seconds.

3. The last play before the FG, I believe it was Andre Rison, caught a pass and rather than going immediately out of bounds, faked out the defender who expected him to immediately go to the sideline and instead took a couple more steps forward before going out. Those 3-4 extra feet were the difference on the FG.

I may be wrong on some of the details, but that's sure how I remember it.

BigMeatballDave
08-30-2005, 09:23 AM
I also nominate Stoyo's mile-long FG (what was it, 53 yards?) to beat the Broncos at Arrowhead. I was listening to the game on the radio here in Savannah (a local station carried two Westwood One national games each Sunday). I was lying face down on the floor listening to them line up, thinking "No way, no way ... don't get your hopes up." The announcers made it sound like it had a chance ... it had a chance ... their voices were rising ... I'm thinking "NO WAY" ... IT'S GOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!

I leaped to my feet and just screamed and danced around forever.

I think the last time I did that, was the OT win against Green Bay in 2003. What an incredible game.I was in a 'Damons' watching that game. The only Chief fan. I was jumping around and 'WOO-HOOING'.
Then I kinda felt like an ass when I came to my senses and realized people were looking at me. I grabbed my jacket, threw a fist in the air and yelled 'Yeah, baby' as I left the place...
ROFL

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Here's another, more obscure moment:

1991, Raiders at Arrowhead, Deron Cherry's first game of the season coming off an injury.

Bo Jackson breaks into the clear and Cherry is about the only thing left between Bo and the end zone. Cherry tackles Bo and puts his helmet on the ball, forcing a key fumble and helping KC win.

I was a big Cherry fan, and I got choked up on that play.

Dartgod
08-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Dwayne Rudd

chagrin
08-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Dwayne Rudd

Helmetgate, that was AWESOME. Also watching Tait trying to run with the ball, I love it when the linemen get a crack at it!
ROFL

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Dwayne Rudd

Heh, I remember being so stunned, I couldn't even celebrate. I just walked around going "I don't believe it. I don't believe it. That's the most incredible thing I've ever seen."

Somebody with more energy than me should call that game thread back up. I re-read the end of it a year or so ago, it was fun.

Nzoner
08-30-2005, 09:35 AM
As I was looking up the year of that MNF game against Buffalo I was reminded of another during the Chiefs romp of the Phins the following week when Chris Martin picked up the fumble and ran forever for a defensive td.

I was thinking it was 97 yards,does that sound right?

Skip Towne
08-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Here's another, more obscure moment:

1991, Raiders at Arrowhead, Deron Cherry's first game of the season coming off an injury.

Bo Jackson breaks into the clear and Cherry is about the only thing left between Bo and the end zone. Cherry tackles Bo and puts his helmet on the ball, forcing a key fumble and helping KC win.

I was a big Cherry fan, and I got choked up on that play.
I think that play happened in 1987. I was a season ticket holder that year. His injury happened in January of '91 during a playoff game. I don't think he played the '91 season.

chagrin
08-30-2005, 09:42 AM
James Hasty against the Raiders, both games in 1995 he fugged them up with a INT at the last second, ran one back. Hostettler was so pissed! The Raiders started 8-2 that year and ended up 8-8, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

gblowfish
08-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Chiefs beat Bears 66-24 in first exhibition game after losing Super Bowl I.

DT seven sacks against Seattle. (We lost on the last play of the game.)

Marcus Allen running for a 20 yard TD to ice the playoff win against Houston in '93.

Buck Buchanan pile driving George Blanda head first into the turf.

Otis Taylor's one handed TD grab VS Washington in 1971.

Albert Lewis blocks a punt to put Chiefs into the playoffs VS Pittsburgh.

Keith Cash blocks a punt vs Pittsburgh to help Chiefs get into OT. Montana hits Tim Barnett for the winning TD in OT.

Marty kissing James Hasty after returning game winning INT vs. Raiders.

DT sitting on his helmet in the monsoon on Thursday night against Seattle.

Bono running for a 80 yard TD vs Arizona...he could barely keep up with Joe Valerio running blocking for him.

Dante Hall punt return to beat Baltimore Ravens.

Dante Hall punt return to beat Donks.

Trent Green to Kinneson bomb to beat Green Bay at Green Bay.

And "Helmetgate" was hysterical too. Southwest Airlines ad attached!

Cormac
08-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Dante Hall's PR against the Broncos. Already mentioned, but what a game that was. The loudest roar you could imagine.

Also, the MNF (?) game at home to the Seahawks in the monsoon in about 1998. That was fun to watch. DT sat around after the win, like a kid splashing in the water, just enjoying the moment. That is one of my favourite memories of a Chiefs game. R.I.P.

Bowser
08-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Dante Hall's PR against the Broncos. Already mentioned, but what a game that was. The loudest roar you could imagine.

Also, the MNF (?) game at home to the Seahawks in the monsoon in about 1998. That was fun to watch. DT sat around after the win, like a kid splashing in the water, just enjoying the moment. That is one of my favourite memories of a Chiefs game. R.I.P.

Sunday night game. The NFL made a commercial of DT letting out a big "Wheeeeew!!!" while sitting in a puddle (lake) of water, then yanked it after his performance on Monday Night when Shannon Sharpe goaded him into all those personal fouls.

The Water Bowl game was great. I remember the first play after the game had resumed was an 80 yard bomb for a TD from Gannon to Rison. Great call.

Cormac
08-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Sunday night game. The NFL made a commercial of DT letting out a big "Wheeeeew!!!" while sitting in a puddle (lake) of water, then yanked it after his performance on Monday Night when Shannon Sharpe goaded him into all those personal fouls.

The Water Bowl game was great. I remember the first play after the game had resumed was an 80 yard bomb for a TD from Gannon to Rison. Great call.

:thumb:

chagrin
08-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Someone remind me why we waived Morten again

Nzoner
08-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Sunday night game.

And the Buffalo game was 1991 :p

Bowser
08-30-2005, 10:00 AM
And the Buffalo game was 1991 :p

:banghead:

I KNEW that!

chagrin
08-30-2005, 10:00 AM

And what I remember that was so funny about that play was that it looked like it was in slow motion. It was so wet, they were all jogging around like it was practice...

StcChief
08-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Chiefs vs 49ers . Chiefs win in big show down between
Montana vs Young

96 Chiefs beating Packers at home. Packers win SB.

Recently. Beating Denver at home on Halls return.

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 10:14 AM
I think that play happened in 1987. I was a season ticket holder that year. His injury happened in January of '91 during a playoff game. I don't think he played the '91 season.

It was the 1990 season.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/04/12/rand_time_fliesbo_knows_that_too/

Jmart
08-30-2005, 10:17 AM
I can't remember what year it was, but Grback hit a long bomb to Rison against the Raiders to win the game. That was supposed to be the start of a something special between those two that never materialized.

Nzoner
08-30-2005, 10:27 AM
I can't remember what year it was, but Grback hit a long bomb to Rison against the Raiders to win the game. That was supposed to be the start of a something special between those two that never materialized.

1997 Monday Night Football

Rain Man
08-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Otis Taylor's catch and run in Super Bowl IV. Biggest play in the history of the Chiefs.

As gblowfish mentioned, Albert Lewis blocking the punt against Pittsburgh.

Keith Cash nailing the picture of Buddy Ryan (may be my favorite Chiefs moment ever)

Grbac to Rison on Monday Night

Montana to Davis on Monday Night

Vanover's punt return against San Diego

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 10:41 AM
Stoyo hitting the 54yd FG to beat Denver -- 1997, I believe
Montana hitting Carson on 4th down on the last play to beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs 1993.
KC putting up 8 rushing TD's on the Atlanta Vicks.
The day Carl drafted Blackledge.

Hammock Parties
08-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Best game ever:

Hammock Parties
08-30-2005, 10:43 AM
I cried. Only time I've ever cried after a Chiefs game.

chagrin
08-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Best game ever:

LOL, ole' 1-ball Aguilar...

Rain Man
08-30-2005, 10:45 AM
There was a play back in the 80s when the Chiefs forced a fumble from Pittsburgh and ran it in a long way for the winning touchdown with only about a minute left. It was huge, because happy endings in those days were rare and the Steelers were still a very strong team at that time. (If anyone's interested, I think that Charles Jackson or Thomas Howard forced the fumble, and Frank Manumaleuga (sp?) ran it in.

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 10:48 AM
I cried. Only time I've ever cried after a Chiefs game.

Didnt do that during that game...but I did well up pretty good when KC came back to beat GB in 2003. It was at that moment I actually let 'that thought' enter my mind. Sadly, KC jumped the shark that game and it was dowhill after that.

Rain Man
08-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Anyone remember the play against the Rai ders about 7 or 8 years ago, when Jeff George got flushed out of the pocket and was scrambling downfield? He was looking to his right at Anthony Davis and cut left to avoid him, and got absolutely obliterated by Leslie O'Neal. O'Neal nailed him full speed while George was running towards him, and George never saw it coming.

Rain Man
08-30-2005, 10:52 AM
I must say that I enjoyed seeing the tape of Otis Taylor nailing Ben Davidson after Davidson speared Lenny Dawson.

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Anyone remember the play against the Rai ders about 7 or 8 years ago, when Jeff George got flushed out of the pocket and was scrambling downfield? He was looking to his right at Anthony Davis and cut left to avoid him, and got absolutely obliterated by Leslie O'Neal. O'Neal nailed him full speed while George was running towards him, and George never saw it coming.

Yes, I remember that.

Wasn't that a Sunday night ESPN game, and was that the game where George got sacked, like, 7 or 10 times, and DT had 4-5 of them?

gblowfish
08-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Something like this?
I remember that game was a home opener, and we pounded the Raiders in the first quarter.

Rain Man
08-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Yes, I remember that.

Wasn't that a Sunday night ESPN game, and was that the game where George got sacked, like, 7 or 10 times, and DT had 4-5 of them?

It was indeed a Sunday night game. I don't recall the other sacks, or even anything about the rest of that game, other than that play. It was one of those where you grunt just watching it.

chagrin
08-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Yes, I remember that.

Wasn't that our season opener that year? I remember DT killing that whining fugging maggot. It was the end of the first Quarter and he had already been sacked 4 times by DT alone (think it was 4)...I was at the bar watching that game and laughing so hard at the Raiders "fans" (guys who like to wear the gear but aren't really fans)

KCTitus
Something like this?
I remember that game was a home opener, and we pounded the Raiders in the first quarter.

That was the same game where KC was up huge and 3 seconds before the half, they had just got a turnover at midfield and rather than take a knee, Marty calls for a Hail Mary...Grbac gets sacked, broken collarbone and the Gannon/Grbac debate began.

Rain Man
Something like this?

Heh-heh.

I've got a mouse pad with that picture on it, and I was just about to go looking for it.

Ouchie, Jeff.

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 10:58 AM
It was indeed a Sunday night game. I don't recall the other sacks, or even anything about the rest of that game, other than that play. It was one of those where you grunt just watching it.

I think that was the opening game of the 1998 season. And I think Rison torched rookie Charles Woodson for a deep TD on the first pass play of the game.

DanT
08-30-2005, 11:19 AM
There was a play back in the 80s when the Chiefs forced a fumble from Pittsburgh and ran it in a long way for the winning touchdown with only about a minute left. It was huge, because happy endings in those days were rare and the Steelers were still a very strong team at that time. (If anyone's interested, I think that Charles Jackson or Thomas Howard forced the fumble, and Frank Manumaleuga (sp?) ran it in.

That's the great moment I was thinking of when I opened this thread. Here's an excerpt from a Sporting News article on Dick Hoak that describes it:

http://tsn.sportingnews.com/exclusives/20040816/560344.html

(Tony) Dungy calls Hoak "one of the smartest football guys I've ever been around." In Dungy's first game as a Steelers assistant, the 1981 season opener against Kansas City, Dungy witnessed Hoak's foreknowledge when the two were sitting in the coaching booth at Three Rivers Stadium.

The Steelers, leading 33-30, had a first down at the Kansas City 28 and were trying to run out the clock. Terry Bradshaw called a play that Hoak felt was perilous. "We shouldn't run this play," he said, "because there's too much risk of a fumble if the linebackers run through." Sure enough, Chiefs linebacker Frank Manumaleuga broke through and jarred the ball loose before Bradshaw could hand off to Harris. Thomas Howard, another linebacker, picked up the fumble and returned it 65 yards for the game-winning touchdown.

That was a great moment because Marv Levy's Chiefs teams had been making steady progress in the seasons before and this was a season-opener against a team that had won its 4th Super Bowl two seasons ago and which still had an aura. The Chiefs had played them tough, but it looked like they were on their way to another loss.

Rain Man
08-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Wow. That's cool, DanT. That's the first thing I've seen written about that play since it happened. I was starting to think it was a dream.

It was so long ago that I was still living with my parents at the time. I remember the Steelers having the ball and my dad said to me, "Looks like this one's over." Hope reigned eternal, and I said something back like, "It ain't over 'till it's over" and at that moment, the linebacker broke through the line and slapped the ball out of Bradshaw's hands.

It sounds like I had the names backwards, but I'm nonetheless pleased that I spelled Manumaleauga's name right.

DanT
08-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Wow. That's cool, DanT. That's the first thing I've seen written about that play since it happened. I was starting to think it was a dream.

It was so long ago that I was still living with my parents at the time. I remember the Steelers having the ball and my dad said to me, "Looks like this one's over." Hope reigned eternal, and I said something back like, "It ain't over 'till it's over" and at that moment, the linebacker broke through the line and slapped the ball out of Bradshaw's hands.

It sounds like I had the names backwards, but I'm nonetheless pleased that I spelled Manumaleauga's name right.

It was awesome! It meant that the Chiefs might make the Monday Night Football Halftime Highlights! ;)

Rain Man
08-30-2005, 11:47 AM
It was awesome! It meant that the Chiefs might make the Monday Night Football Halftime Highlights! ;)

I miss those halftime highlights. They were the best non-football feature ever aired on MNF. We got to see a lot of teams that we couldn't ordinarily see, and sometimes it was my only chance to see the Chiefs.

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 11:51 AM
I miss those halftime highlights. They were the best non-football feature ever aired on MNF. We got to see a lot of teams that we couldn't ordinarily see, and sometimes it was my only chance to see the Chiefs.

It was a different world then. I remember watching "This Week in Baseball" and HBO's "Race for the Pennant" in the 1970s just in hopes of seeing a play or two from the Royals -- a team I followed intensely but almost never got to see play, until the postseason. And on the rare occasion they were on NBC's Game of the Week ... well, Christmas came early. Same with the Chiefs back then.

Frosty
08-30-2005, 12:08 PM
That was the same game where KC was up huge and 3 seconds before the half, they had just got a turnover at midfield and rather than take a knee, Marty calls for a Hail Mary...Grbac gets sacked, broken collarbone and the Gannon/Grbac debate began.

No, that happened in the Pittsburgh game.

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 12:16 PM

It was Oak/KC...it sealed the fate of that year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/scoreboards/1998/09/06/recap.kansas_city.oakland.html

BigMeatballDave
08-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Dwayne RuddAwesome!
ROFL I watched that game with a Browns fan...

BigMeatballDave
08-30-2005, 12:30 PM
There was a play back in the 80s when the Chiefs forced a fumble from Pittsburgh and ran it in a long way for the winning touchdown with only about a minute left. It was huge, because happy endings in those days were rare and the Steelers were still a very strong team at that time. (If anyone's interested, I think that Charles Jackson or Thomas Howard forced the fumble, and Frank Manumaleuga (sp?) ran it in.Wasn't that in '86, the last time they played in Pittsburgh? Anyway, if memory serves, I believe it was a blocked field goal that was returned. I was only 16 at the time...

BigMeatballDave
08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Wasn't that in '86, the last time they played in Pittsburgh? Anyway, if memory serves, I believe it was a blocked field goal that was returned. I was only 16 at the time...This a different game...

Gaz
08-30-2005, 12:34 PM
The goal-line stand against Buffalo [Todd Collins at QB] when Gunther unleased the hounds over and over again.

Warmed a crusty old Defense Homer’s heart.

xoxo~
Gaz
Fell in love with Gunther that day.

REDHOTGTO
08-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Best moment? 97 Denver game as others have said, 52 yd fg, i was there and before that kick you could hear a cricket fart on the 50 yd line, as the ball got to the goalposts i think everyone in the stadium leaned down to help the goal posts lower! after the ball went over you could'nt hear a 747 fly over the top of the stadium for the crowd was entirely nuts!!! i fell sorry for the 5000 people that left when Denver got the ball back and they thought we had no chance to win. :banghead:

teedubya
08-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Stephone Paiges performance vs the Chargers in 1986 really solified my Chiefs Fandom... I was young, and liked the Bears due to Walter Payton and The Superbowl shuffle...

The Chiefs really sucked in the 80's... john Mackovic got them to the playoffs vs the Jets... that made me a Chiefs fan for life. Without that, who knows?

Rain Man
08-30-2005, 12:47 PM

I recall this, too. That was Grbac's first injury, and it was on a pointless play at the end of the half.

I think Titus may onto something too, though, because I don't think the Pittsburgh injury wasn't the one that started the controversy, if I remember right.

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 12:50 PM
I recall this, too. That was Grbac's first injury, and it was on a pointless play at the end of the half.

I think Titus may onto something too, though, because I don't think the Pittsburgh injury wasn't the one that started the controversy, if I remember right.

Two different injuries.

1997: Grbac did break his collarbone against Pittsburgh, missed 6 games. Gannon took over, played well, Grbac came back the last game of the season, started the playoffs ... AAAAAAAAGH!!!

1998: Grbac separated his shoulder against Oakland, missed 8 games that season. Gannon left after that season.

KCTitus
08-30-2005, 12:53 PM

The situation I recalled was the Oak game, but after some reflection the controversy started with the benching of Gannon in favor of Grbac in the 1997 playoff game, so I was off about the injury in 1998 being the beginning of the debate.

Frosty
08-30-2005, 12:56 PM

This is what I was thinking of, though I guess it wasn't at the end of the half:

This game was not without its costs.

Pittsburgh's blitzing defense got to Grbac only once all night, but they made it count. With 13:36 remaining, Nolan Harrison and Jason Gildon sandwiched Grbac and the Chiefs starter was knocked out of the game with a broken collarbone to his non-throwing left shoulder. Grbac will be out of action at least several weeks.

Skip Towne
08-30-2005, 12:58 PM
I must say that I enjoyed seeing the tape of Otis Taylor nailing Ben Davidson after Davidson speared Lenny Dawson.
That is my favorite Chiefs moment ever. Otis had to jump up to get his arms around Davidson's neck.

Sam
08-30-2005, 01:03 PM
I've got a couple, hope they haven't already been mentioned.

First, after losing to the Pack in SB I the Chiefs played the Bears the following preseason and whooped 'em 66 - 24. It was good to see an NFL team go down, hard!

Second, in `69 after losing both the home and away games, in close contests too, to the Raiders the Chiefs finished second to 'em in the standings. But, it was the first year of the 'wild-card' and after disposing of the Jets in the first round it was back to Oakland for the league championship game and the right to go to SB IV. I remember rumors circulating the week before the game that Dawson had been practicing his punting. The offense unveiled a shotgun formation during the game to give Lenny more time.

siberian khatru
08-30-2005, 01:06 PM
That is my favorite Chiefs moment ever. Otis had to jump up to get his arms around Davidson's neck.

I seem to remember several years ago on Inside the NFL or a network pregame show, they did a retrospective on the Raiders-Chiefs rivalry and had Davidson and Buck Buchanan on. Davidson was kind of laughing about that play, boys will be boys, heat of the moment, etc. And Buchanan sat stone-faced and wasn't buying any of it. He was bitter. And rightly so.

Rain Man
08-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Man, those Rai ders back then were just nasty, nasty people. Every one of them. They were so easy to hate.

Judge Smails
08-30-2005, 06:16 PM
The goal-line stand against Buffalo [Todd Collins at QB] when Gunther unleased the hounds over and over again.

Warmed a crusty old Defense Homer’s heart.

xoxo~
Gaz
Fell in love with Gunther that day.

Wasn't that against Seattle also? I remember Warren Moon quarterbacking, and myself being nervous from scars from his Houston days against KC.

Gaz
08-31-2005, 06:35 AM
Wasn't that against Seattle also? I remember Warren Moon quarterbacking, and myself being nervous from scars from his Houston days against KC.

Could be, man. My memory is not what it used to be.

The Buffalo game sticks out because Buffalo had the ball 1st & Goal and Gunther send blitz after blitz at Collins.

That is the kind of fearless, aggressive D I want Gunther to bring back to the R&G.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still gets a warm fuzzy thinking about that goal-line stand.

chagrin
08-31-2005, 06:41 AM
I seem to remember several years ago on Inside the NFL or a network pregame show, they did a retrospective on the Raiders-Chiefs rivalry and had Davidson and Buck Buchanan on. Davidson was kind of laughing about that play, boys will be boys, heat of the moment, etc. And Buchanan sat stone-faced and wasn't buying any of it. He was bitter. And rightly so.

Would you tell me more about this play? A little more detail if you don't mind. Also why was Buchanan bitter about it?

Sam
08-31-2005, 07:32 AM

One of the season’s pivotal junctures came in a 17-17 tie vs. Oakland (11/1). The Chiefs were ahead 17-14 when Dawson apparently sealed the win, running for a first down which would have allowed Kansas City to run out the clock. While on the ground, Dawson was speared by Raiders DE Ben Davidson in an infamous incident that cost the Chiefs a victory and further inflamed the already heated Chiefs-Raiders rivalry. WR Otis Taylor retaliated and a bench-clearing brawl ensued. Offsetting penalties were called, nullifying Dawson’s first down. The Chiefs were forced to punt and Raiders K George Blanda eventually booted a game-tying FG with 0:08 remaining. That tie ultimately cost the Chiefs a tie with Oakland for the division crown as Kansas City finished the year with a 7-5-2 record, while the Raiders went 8-4-2.

chagrin
08-31-2005, 07:34 AM
Thank you

Rain Man
08-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Wow. I really hate the Rai ders.