PDA

View Full Version : Today only.. Free Opera Browser.. No Ads

theultimatekcchiefsfan
08-30-2005, 12:23 PM
The deal expires tonight at 11:59 PM Pacific Time, August 30, 2005.
Desktop Opera 8 normally costs US$39 ($20 for students).
Always wanted to try it. Using it now. give e-mail address/get code/download and install/then register with new code.

I had to go to download.com to download this file. Operas site seems to be getting hit hard.

Get code here: http://my.opera.com/community/party/reg.dml

Download Here: http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=opera&tg=dl-20&search.x=18&search.y=11

choose 8.02

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050830-5256.html

Opera free for one day only

8/30/2005 11:19:23 AM, by Ken "Caesar" Fisher

In a effort to boost market share and encourage more people to check out alternative web browsers, Opera Software ASA is celebrating its 10 year birthday by giving Opera away for free. Starting at 9AM EST time this morning, the company is giving out free registration codes to anyone who asks for one. The promotion will last 24 hours, and includes free registration for desktop versions of Opera for Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, Solaris and Linux. The birthday party giveaway doesn't include mobile versions of Opera. Desktop Opera 8 normally costs US$39 ($20 for students).

"On this day we celebrate our users. From the very beginning, we've consistently worked closely with our community to make sure we deliver the best Internet experience. In short, we would never have been where we are today without all the people who have volunteered their time and energy to Opera," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, Opera Software CEO.

Opera is a quality web browser with a die-hard community of supporters behind it. Long before there was Mozilla, there was Opera, stalwartly beating the drum of web standards. However, Opera could never gain enough steam to truly challenge Microsoft—a role that seems to have been reserved for the always-free Firefox.

Here at Ars, only 2 percent of readers use Opera, although the actual percentage is likely slightly higher. Most versions of Opera identify as either IE 5.0 or 6.0 to web servers, but the company announced a month ago that that they are changing this practice. Worldwide, Opera's browser share is spotted around 0.6% according to NetApplications.

Does Opera have a future on the web browsing desktop? It's hard to say, but the scrappy Norwegian company just won't give up. Still, Opera knows where their best chances are, and they're not on the desktops of Mac and Windows users. Over the years, the company has eased into giving away its browser, which was once available only for purchase. Starting in 2000, however, the company released an ad-supported version. Despite this, the much newer Firefox is the only making a dent in Internet Explorer's market share.

Could today's give-away be a prelude to a change in Opera licensing? I wouldn't be surprised to see the company eventually eliminate commercial versions of the desktop browsers. Opera's mobile products are an important, and dare I say, far more attractive part of their software line-up. Meanwhile, I can't see Opera seriously taking on the likes of Firefox and Internet Explorer on the desktop. They've been at it for years, with only marginal success. On the other hand, Pocket Internet Explorer is not particularly joyous to use, and Minimo is far behind Opera in terms of performance. A free, no-ads version of Opera could really help the company expose their great mobile line of products, while potentially boosting that miniscule market share.
:) :) :)

Simplex3
08-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Bitchin'. Thanks man.

Michael Michigan
08-30-2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks.

I had the ads version, it took all of 30 seconds to get rid of it.

Miles
08-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks, I have always wanted to give it a shot but wasnt about to pay for a browser.

Mr. Laz
08-30-2005, 08:42 PM
thanks ... i'll give it a try

KCFalcon59
08-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Cool. Thanks. So far it's pretty nice.

Miles
08-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Man this thing is fast. Only thing i really miss from firefox is AdBlock which im not sure if I could deal without.

BigMeatballDave
08-31-2005, 11:08 AM
I've been using Opera for a couple years. I love it. IE can eat shit!

irishjayhawk
08-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Regardless of what browser anyone uses, we should all agree that M$ IE sucks.

I used opera for a few hours yesturday for the first time and I can see why people like it. It has lots of things firefox doesn't but it also doesn't have things (like adblock). Regardless its better than IE or any other form of the IE engine.

Gaz
08-31-2005, 01:04 PM
I took advantage of the free download [thanks for the heads-up] and am auditioning Opera here at work.

Lots of fine-tuneability.

However, I do not perceive it as being any faster than K-Meleon.

Still, it is far superior to IE. However, it is not leaps and bounds better than Firefox or K-Meleon, so I would not pay to install it on my home computer.

xoxo~
Gaz
Impressed, but not enough to cough up the cash.

bgguitarman
08-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Man this thing is fast. Only thing i really miss from firefox is AdBlock which im not sure if I could deal without.

You can add your own javascript to do the same thing as adblock...here's a link explaining

http://nontroppo.org/wiki/UserJS

StcChief
08-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Firefox for now.