PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: Marcus Allen let go by CBS sports

tk13
08-31-2005, 01:13 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12518757.htm

CBS decides to let Marcus Allen become free agent

JEFFREY FLANAGAN
Kansas City Star

Marcus Allen’s seven-year run at CBS’ “The NFL Today” is over.

Allen’s contract with CBS was not renewed for the upcoming 2005-06 season, a move that does not come as a great shock because Allen’s role with the network has been diminishing in recent years.

Allen, 45, began at CBS in 1998 as a studio analyst but in recent years had been bumped to the role of features reporter, which consisted mostly of pre-game fluff pieces.

CBS Sports communications vice president LeslieAnne Wade confirmed Tuesday that Allen would not be back this season.

“We consider Marcus Allen a great friend of CBS,” Wade said by phone from New York. “We wish him all the best.”

Allen’s agent, Ed Hookstratten, could not be reached for comment Tuesday. But there has been speculation that Allen could wind up doing work this fall for Fox Sports or The NFL Network.

For some reason, Allen’s picture and bio remain on CBS’ “The NFL Today” Web site, which Wade said will be corrected soon.

In a lesson that can be best described as “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you,” the Fort Worth Star-Telegram took a bold measure in response to Texas Tech coach Mike Leach’s decision to restrict media access to his Red Raiders this season: The newspaper, in turn, has decided to scale back its coverage of the team.

The Star-Telegram announced in its sports section, “In response to a recently announced media policy for the 2005 football season at Texas Tech, the Star-Telegram will reduce its coverage of the Red Raiders this season to game stories only.

On Friday, Tech coach Mike Leach announced that media access for this season would be granted only to two players — quarterback Cody Hodges and defensive back Khalid Naziruddin. Whatever the reason for Leach’s decision, the Star-Telegram disagrees with this policy and feels it restricts our ability to adequately cover Texas Tech’s football team. If at any time Texas Tech changes its policy, the Star-Telegram will reconsider its decision to reduce coverage.”

Bravo.

And perhaps the newspaper’s decision will send a shot across of the bow of any other would-be control freaks posing as coaches.

Not that any of us read the magazine’s stories, but we hear that Playboy isn’t too high on the Chiefs’ chances this year. The magazine picks the Chiefs to finish third in the AFC West and out of the playoff picture.

Former Star football scribe Rick Gosselin freelances for the magazine and had this to say about the Chiefs: “Arrowhead Stadium gives the Chiefs one of the NFL’s best home-field advantages. Too bad they can’t play all 16 games there.”

Gosselin takes the Steelers, Colts, Raiders and Patriots as his division winners, and the Jags and Bengals (whoa!) as his wild-cards. He has Philadelphia over Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.

trndobrd
08-31-2005, 01:31 AM
That's OK, "The NFL Today" on CBS contain the most annoying collection of bottom feeders on the air. Marcus Allen deserves better than to hang around with those clowns.

Dr. Chief
08-31-2005, 01:32 AM
CBS has a pre game show?

trndobrd
08-31-2005, 01:45 AM
Bravo? Is the reader expected to join in on the rooting on of this pissing match on the side of the media?

I don't think you fully understand the serious consequences that the lack of full, in-depth coverage of Texas Tech football will have on our Nation and society.

RedDread
08-31-2005, 02:58 AM
Marcus Allen is just too mild mannered for a football pregame show.

jspchief
08-31-2005, 06:52 AM
Marcus Allen is just too mild mannered for a football pregame show.Agreed. I loved him as a Chief, but the guy is boring as hell on TV. I'd rather watch paint dry.

KChiefs1
08-31-2005, 07:05 AM
He's better than anything they have on the NFL Network...I can see him going there.

jidar1
08-31-2005, 07:16 AM
Hah! That coach is doing what he's doing because he thinks it's going to help him win ball games. As far as I'm concerned, that's his call to make. I don't know why this article has to be so pissy about it.
And if the paper scales back coverage they can expect scaled back readership as well.

picasso
08-31-2005, 09:08 AM
Marcus Allen I always thought was the Ahmad Rashaad of football. Maybe if the stories he had were better he wouldn't be like watching paint dry. Besides you only see him do 4 stories a year.
CBS is a joke. I don't know why they have to have the AFC represented by those morons. I have to say the only thing I like about it is Marino. Boomer, Shannon and who ever that host is (Gumble#2) is STUPID!

Bowser
08-31-2005, 09:40 AM
Yet ANOTHER source saying the Fade will finish on top of the AFC West.

Randy Moss is the Midas of the football world. :shake:

Ralphy Boy
08-31-2005, 11:27 AM
I have to say the only thing I like about it is Marino.

Talk about watching paint dry. Marino is too boring to have much success in that venue & essentially all of the former players on these shows are glorified color commentators, which would imply they have some sense of theatricality when it comes to delivering the story. Marino is more dry than the play by play guys and that doesn't lend itself to being popular on a tv pregame show. Like Allen, Gifford, Len Dawson, Dan Fouts & Simms before him, his on the field exploits only carry him so far and at some point as fans move on, as they always do, they'll replace him with whoever is more popular with the next generation of the ideal demographic like...dare I say it...Peyton Manning when he retires.

Hammock Parties
08-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Marcus has lost his burst.