PDA

View Full Version : QA Dick Vermeil Aug 31, 2005, 4:13:29 PM

bgguitarman
08-31-2005, 03:24 PM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
Aug 31, 2005, 4:13:29 PM

Q: What’s Trent Green’s status?

DICK VERMEIL: “I just finished talking to him. He’ll be in tomorrow He won’t play in the ballgame but he’ll go through team meetings.”

Q: What did the medical tests say?

VERMEIL: “He had a minor out-patient circulation correction that helped get the circulation more efficiently to the foot.”

Q: Was it a blood-clot in his leg?

VERMEIL: “No. He had a little problem; it was a minor problem and it’s taken care of.”

Q: So, he had it done yesterday?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, he had it done yesterday and it’s fixed.”

Q: So, he’s fine, walking and everything?

VERMEIL: “Just talked to him on the phone.”

Q: So it was surgery, major?

VERMEIL: “No. There’s a procedure that they go through to do those things but it’s not like having a heart transplant.”

Q: I know you’re not a doctor but can you describe how you can improve circulation?

VERMEIL: “Not really. You’ll talk to Trent tomorrow and he’ll tell you what they did. He watched them do it.”

Q: How long is he going to be out and will he be ready to go September 11?

VERMEIL: “I plan on him practicing on Monday.”

Q: Do you have any trepidation of him not being ready for the opener?

VERMEIL: “No one’s given me a reason to and everything has been positive. I feel that he’ll be ready to go to work.

Q: When they went through the battery of tests yesterday did they find this?

VERMEIL: “I can’t tell you the exact time that they found it but as soon as they found it they quit looking for something else and went to work. It was a circulation problem and I think it stemmed around four knee operations and things passing through scar tissue and they had to clean it up. But it was just like going to the dentist.”

Q: So will Jonathan Quinn start?

VERMEIL: “Jonathan Quinn will start.”

dirk digler
08-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Good news indeed.

htismaqe
08-31-2005, 03:26 PM
It sounds like he had an arterial bypass done...

beer bacon
08-31-2005, 03:27 PM

Could you expand on this?

dirk digler
08-31-2005, 03:27 PM

Paging Dr. Parker...

wutamess
08-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Damn talk about short answered.

ModSocks
Thank you lord.....god i hate bieng a chiefs fan

KC Dan
This all sounds hokey to me. Why not just tell the press what it was and be done with it. DV just digs holes for himself to fight out of later. This is stupid.

King_Chief_Fan
08-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Good News
Green is fine

Bad News
Quinn will start

Best time to have this happen if it has to is pre-season.

alpha_omega
08-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Whew!

beer bacon
08-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Good News
Green is fine

Bad News
Quinn will start

Best time to have this happen if it has to is pre-season.

Good news
McKenzi Smith should get a lot of carries

htismaqe
Vermeil said he had "circulation correction". As in they redirected blood flow around something.

That's what they do when you get bypass surgery when you have a heart attack from an arterial blockage. They take a piece of artery from somewhere else in your body and sew it onto the old artery, rerouting blood around the obstruction.

Warrior5
Well, at last for this week...

Keep %^$#*&@ doubting Jonathan "The Mighty" Quinn!

FloridaMan88
08-31-2005, 03:31 PM
What was the condition that Tommy Fraizer had (other than being a Nebraska QB) that ended his career?

Wasn't it a blood clot or something similar

the Talking Can

I put DV's interview into Babblefish and it said "Trent had a penisectomy"

ROYC75
Collapsed artery ?

Damn, we are doomed in preseason...0 - 4 now. :rolleyes:

Let's just hope he is OK . :harumph:

bgguitarman
08-31-2005, 03:32 PM
What was the condition that Tommy Fraizer had (other than being a Nebraska QB) that ended his career?

Wasn't it a blood clot or something similar

He had a blood clot

the Talking Can
Vermeil said he had "circulation correction". As in they redirected blood flow around something.

That's what they do when you get bypass surgery when you have a heart attack from an arterial blockage. They take a piece of artery from somewhere else in your body and sew it onto the old artery, rerouting blood around the obstruction.

sounds pretty serious...is that the kind of thing you have done and go back to practice on Monday?

Chiefs Pantalones
This all sounds hokey to me. Why not just tell the press what it was and be done with it. DV just digs holes for himself to fight out of later. This is stupid.

Well, DV is not a doctor, aso I kind of doubt he knows specifically what's going on.

chagrin
Geesh, even though I am not a doomsday guy, DV didn't do a thing to ease my mind in that Q&A

Donger
08-31-2005, 03:33 PM

I wouldn't think so. Didn't they say he watched the surgery? That procedure's done with a general, I think.

WisChief
08-31-2005, 03:33 PM

Woa! That sounds a little extreme for out patient surgery -even if it's just in his leg.

Radar Chief
08-31-2005, 03:34 PM

Sounds more like Angioplasty.
That’s where they insert a balloon into the vain and expand it, then after removing the balloon they replace it with a “stint” to keep it from collapsing again.

WisChief
08-31-2005, 03:35 PM
That’s where they insert a balloon into the vain and expand it, then after removing the balloon they replace it with a “stint” to keep it from collapsing again.

Could this be done out patient and be considered minor? Who's a doctor in the house?

htismaqe
08-31-2005, 03:37 PM
If it's not a deep artery, I'm sure it could be done.

I'm getting a complete septoplasty next week with a local and I'll be back at work in 24 hours.

htismaqe

Could be that as well. Yes.

Radar Chief
sounds pretty serious...is that the kind of thing you have done and go back to practice on Monday?

I wouldn’t think, though if it was more like Angioplasty then yes. I don’t think they even make an incision for that, it’s inserted with a needle.

TEX
08-31-2005, 03:38 PM

I'd bet that's exactly what it was.

Radar Chief
08-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Could this be done out patient and be considered minor? Who's a doctor in the house?

Yes, my father and grandmother have had it done to their hearts and were up walk’n around within a couple of days.

kc rush
08-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Well, at last for this week...

Keep %^$#*&@ doubting Jonathan "The Mighty" Quinn!

Doesn't he have to officially change his name to McKenzie if he wants to play here?

This could explain why Morton sucked, he didn't change his name to McKenzie or McKenzzy (the Johnny spelling).

Chiefnj
08-31-2005, 03:40 PM
I wouldn’t think, though if it was more like Angioplasty then yes. I don’t think they even make an incision for that, it’s inserted with a needle.

It's an incision in your groin and then it is fed to wherever the blockage is.

Bootlegged
08-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Well, my arm is a little sore, but I'll start warm'n up.

anything is better than Quinn

htismaqe
08-31-2005, 03:43 PM
The only thing that concerns me is that any type of circulation correction means something was restricting blood flow in the first place. A collapsed artery, blood clot, something had to cause it.

BigChiefFan
08-31-2005, 03:49 PM
anything is better than Quinn

Not Huard.

shaneo69
08-31-2005, 03:51 PM
The only thing that concerns me is that any type of circulation correction means something was restricting blood flow in the first place. A collapsed artery, blood clot, something had to cause it.

Scar tissue from the knee surgeries?

htismaqe
08-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Scar tissue from the knee surgeries?

Could be.

the Talking Can
08-31-2005, 03:53 PM
I am not a doctor and I don't play one on tv:

is it possible somehow that scar tissue was pressing against an artery and they cleaned up some of the tissue?

or just wishful thinking....

htismaqe
08-31-2005, 03:55 PM
I am not a doctor and I don't play one on tv:

is it possible somehow that scar tissue was pressing against an artery and they cleaned up some of the tissue?

or just wishful thinking....

No, I think that sounds plausible. I'm not a doctor either, but I almost finished my 3rd semester of pre-med! :D

the Talking Can
08-31-2005, 03:57 PM
No, I think that sounds plausible. I'm not a doctor either, but I almost finished my 3rd semester of pre-med! :D

alright...I'll go find a Holiday Inn and get back to you tomorrow...

petegz28
08-31-2005, 03:57 PM

DV said ther ewas some scar tissue being passed and they had to clean it up. This is no big deal at the moment. Now if Trent does not practice come Monday then you can start to worry.

htismaqe
08-31-2005, 04:01 PM
DV said ther ewas some scar tissue being passed and they had to clean it up. This is no big deal at the moment. Now if Trent does not practice come Monday then you can start to worry.

Scar tissue "being passed" is just as bad as a blod clot. Scar tissue pressing on the outside of the artery, restricting circulation is FAR different than fragments of scar tissue circulating in the bloodstream.

I sincerely hope this isn't serious.

Rain Man
08-31-2005, 04:01 PM
Quinn has to be sitting around right now saying, "What the heck happened this past week?" He went from insurance salesman to starting quarterback in three days.

RealSNR
08-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Quinn has to be sitting around right now saying, "What the heck happened this past week?" He went from insurance salesman to starting quarterback in three days.Hopefully he stays on the team as our 3rd QB, rather than Huard

beer bacon
08-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Scar tissue "being passed" is just as bad as a blod clot. Scar tissue pressing on the outside of the artery, restricting circulation is FAR different than fragments of scar tissue circulating in the bloodstream.

From DV's explanation it sounds like problems with blood circulating through his scar tissue thus causing numbness.

KC Dan
08-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Quinn has to be sitting around right now saying, "What the heck happened this past week?" He went from insurance salesman to starting quarterback in three days.
Yeah, the same thing happened to him in Chicago and look at how well that turned out...:banghead:

Hammock Parties
Is Quinn going to play the entire freakin' game? I wanted to see Huard with the first team.

King_Chief_Fan

DV doesn't get crap right...especially if he doesn't understand.
Chill until Green tells the world tomorrow.

All is well!

beer bacon
08-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah, the same thing happened to him in Chicago and look at how well that turned out...:banghead:

He actually has a real offense this time.

patteeu
08-31-2005, 04:07 PM

I don't think there is any reason to believe that there is scar tissue in the bloodstream (how would it even get there?). I suspect that "being passed" means "pressing from the outside" in that particular speculation.

Coogs
08-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Here is the rest of the interview...

Q: So will Jonathan Quinn start?

VERMEIL: “Jonathan Quinn will start.”

Q: How long will he play?

VERMEIL: “Probably at least half the game.”

Q: What are your options after him? Are Huard or Collins available yet?

VERMEIL: “Collins is not available and Huard only if needed and he had to play. James Kilian will take the rest.”

Q: Have you been told there are any side effects or recovery problems for Green with this deal?

VERMEIL: “No. Obviously, if you’re told he’s going to be back playing in a National Football League there’s not many side effects.”

Q: Was it done to the leg area?

VERMEIL: “To the leg.”

Q: But you understand the concern from people. He had this procedure and all….. He’s your starting quarterback and if he’s gone then what are you gonna do now because your backup is hurt?

VERMEIL: “I’ve been there before. I know how that feels. I’ve coached long enough to coach through that experience. I don’t like it but no one ever told me I would have to be concerned (about Trent). No one ever gave me the thought that I would have to be concerned regardless of the exams. No one ever gave me the thought that he wouldn’t be able to play.”

Q: So you feel a sense of relief with this news?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, I do. I really do. He does to.”

Q: Will this bother him throughout the season or will this procedure….

VERMEIL: “It’s over. It’s done.”

Q: Some of your guys including Patrick Surtain and Ambrose have family down in New Orleans. Can you imagine what it’s like there?

VERMEIL: “No, and we’re worried about making a first down. It puts things in a proper perspective in a tough way. I was just down in the weight room doing my exercise routine and the TV was on and you see the things that people are going through. My gosh, it’s beyond a disaster and for kids who have family there they’re concerned. I wasn’t even aware that these people had people down in that environment. It would have to be a burden.”

Q: What about Kendrell Bell? We ask about him every day.

VERMEIL: “I think he’s getting excited about playing his first game. I know he’s practiced real well. He’s working up to it. He may not play very much but he’ll play.”

Q: Other than everybody coming out in one piece what are your points of emphasis in this game?

VERMEIL: “When we’re in there play well as an individual and collectively put that together as a unit. If you’re on special teams play that play well – each one of you. Stay healthy. There’s no such thing as an unimportant game. If there is one sometimes this one gets the closest to it. But it’s very important for a few guys. We’ve got some tough decisions. I spent a two hours on the personnel board this morning with a couple of our executives and we’ve got some tough decisions to make. Some of those decisions may be made for us Friday night.”

Q: Would a win be important for you?

VERMEIL: “I like to win anytime. It’s been a long time since I haven’t won a pre-season game. Whether we win or not will be dependent on how long we play our starters and how long they play theirs. Right now they’re a better team than we are. They’re playing better. They played their starting unit all the way into the third quarter late. It’s as good a Ram team as I’ve seen since the 2001 Super Bowl team.”

Send this page to a friend!

Chest Rockwell
08-31-2005, 04:12 PM

It'll be interesting to hear what Trent has to say about it tomorrow. As long as he doesn't come in -1 lower leg, I'll wait 'till Monday to dial up the sphinchter crinkle factor about Jonathan Quinn, Medicine Woman.

KC Dan
08-31-2005, 04:14 PM
It'll be interesting to hear what Trent has to say about it tomorrow. As long as he doesn't come in -1 lower leg, I'll wait 'till Monday to dial up the sphinchter crinkle factor about Jonathan Quinn, Medicine Woman.
ROFL

philfree
08-31-2005, 04:30 PM
Sounds like Trent is gonna be alright to me. They botched the Bell questions though.

Q: What about Kendrell Bell? We ask about him every day.

VERMEIL: “I think he’s getting excited about playing his first game. I know he’s practiced real well. He’s working up to it. He may not play very much but he’ll play.”

Next question should have been Q: So Bell is participating in the contact drills?

If Bell has had some contact and he's suffered no set backs then maybe he is ready.

PhilFree:arrow:

petegz28
08-31-2005, 04:31 PM

Dude they wouldn't let him out of the hospital if it was serious. DV wouldn't even of hinted at him being at practice Monday. It is not serious at all. They don't give you locals for critical opertaions generaly.

Red Dawg
08-31-2005, 04:31 PM
THANK THE GOOD LORD! Without Trent we would have to run Holmes and LJ into the ground and the defense would have to pitch shutouts.

petegz28
08-31-2005, 04:36 PM
Q: Have you been told there are any side effects or recovery problems for Green with this deal?

VERMEIL: “No. Obviously, if you’re told he’s going to be back playing in a National Football League there’s not many side effects.”

Q: Was it done to the leg area?

VERMEIL: “To the leg.”

Q: But you understand the concern from people. He had this procedure and all….. He’s your starting quarterback and if he’s gone then what are you gonna do now because your backup is hurt?

VERMEIL: “I’ve been there before. I know how that feels. I’ve coached long enough to coach through that experience. I don’t like it but no one ever told me I would have to be concerned (about Trent). No one ever gave me the thought that I would have to be concerned regardless of the exams. No one ever gave me the thought that he wouldn’t be able to play.”

Q: So you feel a sense of relief with this news?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, I do. I really do. He does to.”

Q: Will this bother him throughout the season or will this procedure….

VERMEIL: “It’s over. It’s done.”

I'd say everyone just needs to chill!

tk13
08-31-2005, 04:39 PM
Personally, I don't think this means we're out of the woods. DV is not going to say if Trent actually has a bad problem. He kept stringing Priest along week-by-week when he was hurt last year. Although Priest probably could've played the last few weeks with a brace, DV was not about to let the opponent know one of this best players was 100% out. And if Trent's status is up in the air, he's just going to say that he thinks he'll be back Monday, if new info becomes available he can change it, because he genuinely doesn't know yet.

I hope he's not lying, but if Trent is having a problem, DV's smart move would still be to lie his ass off. I don't blame him. No reason to freak out about it at this point but I'll wait and see if he hits the practice field before making judgment either way.

kcjayhawks5
08-31-2005, 05:05 PM
i can finally get some sleep and stop throwing up

unlurking
08-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Woooohooooo!!!!!

We get to see Killian's Irish Red! :D

Think I'm gonna by a couple 6ers for the 2nd half!

(Don't know why, I'm just excited about the possibility of the Chiefs grooming a QBotF in house.)

tomahawk kid
08-31-2005, 05:10 PM
Dude they wouldn't let him out of the hospital if it was serious. DV wouldn't even of hinted at him being at practice Monday. It is not serious at all. They don't give you locals for critical opertaions generaly.

Or send you home. As long as this was generally non-invasive, I gotta think Trent's gonna go on 9/11......

Calcountry
08-31-2005, 05:20 PM
No, I think that sounds plausible. I'm not a doctor either, but I almost finished my 3rd semester of pre-med! :D"pre med, pre law, whats the difference?"

Calcountry
08-31-2005, 05:22 PM
THANK THE GOOD LORD! Without Trent we would have to run Holmes and LJ into the ground and the defense would have to pitch shutouts.Holmes and LJ would have to learn how to throw option passes.

brent102fire
08-31-2005, 05:41 PM
:wayne:

whoman69
08-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Is Quinn going to play the entire freakin' game? I wanted to see Huard with the first team.
Don't even joke about that. The only thing I want to see Huard do is turn in his playbook.

4th and Long
08-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Quinn the first half, Killian the second half.

Dave Lane
08-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Surgical Bypass

Basic Facts

· Atherosclerotic plaque can build up inside arteries and block the normal flow of blood, which limits the amount of blood that reaches body tissues.
· Surgical bypass is a procedure that can improve blood flow by rerouting blood around the portion of an artery that is narrowed or blocked by plaque.
· Surgical bypass is most commonly performed on arteries in the legs.

As people age, plaque made up of cholesterol and other fats (lipids), calcium, and fibrous scar tissue can accumulate on the inside walls of their arteries. Plaque deposits can enlarge, causing arteries to narrow and stiffen, a process called atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries. This narrowing decreases blood flow and can result in insufficient oxygen levels in body tissue, known as ischemia. A small piece of loose plaque or a blood clot that lodges in a narrowed artery, called an arterial embolism, can also disrupt blood flow and cause ischemia.

Ischemia that results from narrowed or blocked arteries in the leg can cause pain in the feet and toes, skin ulcerations, and in extreme situations, numbness and muscle weakness. When the arteries that supply blood to a person’s heart or brain become blocked and ischemia results, it can cause a heart attack or a stroke. To prevent these consequences, the physician may perform surgical bypass to reroute blood and improve blood flow around the blocked portion of an artery.

During surgical bypass, doctors make a new connection between arteries using a graft vessel, which is made from a portion of a person’s own vein or a synthetic fabric tube. The graft vessel creates a detour, allowing blood to bypass any blockage.

Dave

Hammock Parties
08-31-2005, 08:10 PM
I still can't believe all this Huard hate. If you guys could see him behind that first-team offensive line and with some decent receivers, you'd all change your opinions. :(

beer bacon
08-31-2005, 08:15 PM
I still can't believe all this Huard hate. If you guys could see him behind that first-team offensive line and with some decent receivers, you'd all change your opinions. :(

1 for 12 with 11 yards and two interceptions is not that bad imho.

milkman
08-31-2005, 08:16 PM

It would make Ryan Leaf proud.

runnercyclist
08-31-2005, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=the Talking Can]I am not a doctor and I don't play one on tv:

...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Hammock Parties
08-31-2005, 08:18 PM

It's horrible. But he had several passes dropped, and had almost no time to throw.

shaneo69
08-31-2005, 08:19 PM
It's horrible. But he had several passes dropped, and had almost no time to throw.

0.0 passer rating.....'nuff said.

RINGLEADER
08-31-2005, 09:03 PM
well DV tells us nothing with 'outpatient procedure'. I had my gall bladder removed outpatient (went in at 8:30 with a gall bladder, left ay 11:30 without one). I couldn't set up for two days and it looked like someone had smacked me in the gut with a baseball bat.

Then again I had to have my wisdom teeth removed under general and was back at work the next day.

The fact the Trent watched the procedure and has almost two weeks to recover is good news in my book tho.

nychief
08-31-2005, 09:06 PM
BRING BACK RICH GANNON.

Bowser
08-31-2005, 09:17 PM
BRING BACK RICH GANNON.

I think Gannon sees two of everything these days...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-31-2005, 09:23 PM
I think Gannon sees two of everything these days...

How cool is it that the Chiefs ended his career.