View Full Version : Warrick (Warwick) signs with the Seahags

foxman
08-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Well that didnt take long

Warrick signs one-year deal with Seahawks
Pasquarelli
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Wasting little time after his release by the Cincinnati Bengals one day earlier, wide receiver Peter Warrick on Wednesday afternoon signed a one-year contract with the Seattle Seahawks, despite avid interest from other teams.

The basic contract is worth $1.4 million, which includes a $500,000 signing bonus and a base salary of $900,000. But the five-year veteran can earn an additional $880,000 -- the difference between his deal with the Seahawks and the $2.28 million base salary that he was scheduled to make in Cincinnati -- through incentives.

Warrick will earn $220,000 with 30 receptions, then an additional $220,000 each for 40, 50 and 60 catches. It is also believed that Warrick will return punts for the Seahawks, who have been seeking to add another veteran wideout.

It will be interesting to see how Seattle coach Mike Holmgren utilizes Warrick from a formation standpoint. The Seahawks already have a terrific slot receiver, the position at which Warrick has been most successful, in Bobby Engram. The veteran Engram was moved into the starting lineup, though, this summer, when the Seahawks released former first-round wideout Koren Robinson.

Warrick had been scheduled to make at least two other visits, to Tampa Bay and the New York Giants, and several other teams had indicated interest in meeting with him. But he flew to Seattle on Tuesday evening, shortly after his release, passed the team's physical exam on Wednesday morning, and agent Drew Rosenhaus then moved quickly to close a deal with Seahawks officials.

The Tuesday release of Warrick, who appeared in only four games in 2004 because of leg and shin injuries, was not altogether surprising. The five-year veteran missed much of camp as he sought to rehabilitate from injuries and appeared in just one of Cincinnati's three preseason contests.

At various times in camp, coach Marvin Lewis hinted broadly that he felt Warrick might not have been as diligent as necessary in his rehabilitation. Lewis noted to ESPN.com in a training camp visit that the Bengals staff, at that point, was preparing as though Warrick might not be available.

Certainly there were less than subtle hints that Warrick might not be a part of the team's plans for 2005, particularly given the Bengals' new-found depth at wide receiver.

On Monday, when he returned to practice for the first time in a week, Warrick made a public request that, if the Bengals were going to jettison him, they do so in this first round of cuts, rather than wait until the weekend, when rosters must be pared to 53 players, the NFL regular-season limit.

"If they're going to let me go, let me go [Tuesday]," Warrick said Monday after practice. "Don't let me go the last week. Don't do me like that. That's disrespectful to me. Let me go [Tuesday]. It's been decided. I just don't know what they've decided."

Warrick, 28, enjoyed a career-best season in 2003, with 79 receptions for 819 yards and seven touchdowns. For his career, Warrick has 264 catches for 2,811 yards and 18 scores, having appeared in 66 games, with 55 starts.

Never as fast as advertised when he came out of college, Warrick nonetheless has good quickness and finally flourished when the Bengals moved him from an outside receiver spot and into the slot position.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here Insider.

Dunit35
08-31-2005, 06:39 PM
doesnt surpise me at all...