PDA

View Full Version : Poweline technology

Lzen
09-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Anyone ever heard of this? I am going to reccomend this to my FIL. His home wireless router setup doesn't produce a strong enough signal for his other PC downstairs. The signal is always low and goes out all the time. I tried several things and came to the conclusion that it's just his house (the walls, floors, etc.) setup that makes the wireless signal weak.

Anyway, this Powerline ethernet bridge plugs an ethernet cable from your modem or router to a an electrical wall outlet. Then you plug another ethernet bridge into an electrical outlet by the other PC and plug the ethernet cable into the PC and voila, instant network. What do you all think?

A couple links:
http://www.homeplug.org/en/products/products.asp

http://tinyurl.com/dh9mt

KC Jones
09-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Hope he has a clean line without a lot of noise. Did you try wireless repeaters and/or signal amplifiers?

unlurking
09-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Hope he has a clean line without a lot of noise. Did you try wireless repeaters and/or signal amplifiers?
That's what I was gonna ask.

I picked up two bridging 802.11 b/g APs at CompUSA for about $35 each. One is in the basement pluged directly into my firewall, the other is in the attic. I have full home coverage with a couple add-on antennas ($15 each from ecomwireless) and use my laptops anywhere in the house, as well as my neighbor's house on occasion.

Lzen
09-02-2005, 08:36 AM

No, haven't tried those yet. I think he is getting tired of having to shell out cash. He had to replace the wireless router that my BIL gave him because it wasn't working out. The new one he got from Best Buy hasn't solved his problem, either. Of course, if he'd just take my advice and buy from Newegg, he'd save himself some $$$. Do you have any recommendations as to a specific brand/model of a repeater or signal amplifier?

Lzen
09-02-2005, 09:23 AM
BTW, he is using a Dlink wireless router. IIRC, the model number is DI-524. He's also using a Dlink wireless card.