PDA

View Full Version : Bad News for all truck and SUV owners!!!

Halfcan
09-01-2005, 09:46 PM
I actually just started with CarMax as a Sales Consultant, and worked a day in the appraisal office. We had about 80 free appraisals on SUV's, 1/2 ton pick ups, and other Large gas guzzlers.

The average truck has lost $1000 to $3000 in book value in the last three weeks.

1. Big Companies like Ford and GM are drastically slashing prices with employee type discounts to get rid of lagging inventory. The truck market is flooded right now. The 05's are cheaper than the 04's sold for and has created huge ripples in the market. The 06's are coming in at the same prices or cheaper than the 05's.

2. Of course gas prices are hurting every aspect of the economy. As more people panic and try to stay ahead of the trends by trading for more economical models, it has created a flood of used trucks and SUV's in the market. Some models like Grand Cherokee have been just satuated in the secondary market.

3. Less buyers for gas guzzlers, which has created a massive overstock in new and used. Just listen to the tv for an hour on any given day. You will hear a minimum of 20 to 30 car ads.

Good news for small Foreign car owners-prices have risen or stabiized for Dodge Neons, Honda's ect. The secondary market has had brisk sales in these type of vehicles, and inventory is moving fast as the public sets into panic mode.

So for folks thinking about trading in their trucks, don't wait until gas hits $3.00 per gallon. The market is far from the bottom, expect these type of vehicles to lose another 20% to 40% by the end of the year.

If your thinking about buying new-Don't-the 06 models will be the same price and maybe even cheaper when you factor in some new 0% financing options that might be coming out. The used market for trucks to buy is deffinatly a Buyers market. We have 2004 Fords with less than 10k still with factory warranties for less than half the price they were new. So if you always wanted a good truck, for work or whatever -things are only going to look better for you.

A lady came in and her 04 Ford van with all the options appraised at $14,000. Which was a strong bid considering the market. She still owed $38,000 on it because she traded in on an upside down car. She looked pale and almost started crying. The major auto value reductions are really hurting a lot of people.

jspchief
09-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Sounds like good news to this truck owner.

My truck's paid off. I planned on driving the thing until it died. Or, it just cost a ridiculous amount to fix whatever might be broken on it. Sounds like if that happens relatively soon, I'll be able to get my next truck cheap. Score.I'm in the exact same situation.

It does suck putting $120 into my gas tank though.

elvomito
09-01-2005, 10:02 PM
this last weekend at autoshow-in-motion, i test drove the new silverado 4x4 hydrib pickup. i was pleasantly surprised at the power and handling.
i need a truck but i think i'll go with a used one.
what kind of markup does carmax place on the trucks you buy and sell?

Halfcan
09-01-2005, 10:10 PM
You guys are lucky-take the gas hit if you have too or wait another couple months when and if the market bottoms out and pick up an 04 at a third the price of new. Maybe they won't drop that low but still you should be in great shape.

You should see these folks's face when the truck they still owe $25 k on comes back at $11,500 and is still apprasied above Kelly blue book. It is really sad, they are screwed with higher interest and payments then they could get now. They have three to four years of payments left. Screwed on gas prices, and have a vehicle which is going to drop in value maybe 30% to 50% the next 6 months.

If the economy gets the big round of nationwide layoffs that is expected, this is only going to get worse.

Garcia Bronco
09-01-2005, 10:15 PM
You guys are lucky-take the gas hit if you have too or wait another couple months when and if the market bottoms out and pick up an 04 at a third the price of new. Maybe they won't drop that low but still you should be in great shape.

You should see these folks's face when the truck they still owe $25 k on comes back at $11,500 and is still apprasied above Kelly blue book. It is really sad, they are screwed with higher interest and payments then they could get now. They have three to four years of payments left. Screwed on gas prices, and have a vehicle which is going to drop in value maybe 30% to 50% the next 6 months.

If the economy gets the big round of nationwide layoffs that is expected, this is only going to get worse.

oh well...you get what you ask for...

keg in kc
09-01-2005, 10:17 PM
My new truck gets better mileage than my old car. But still nothing like those newer economy cars.

Halfcan
09-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Carmax is the Walmart of cars really. They are not like new dealers that screw with you on price. They want to deal in volumn like walmart. Very low mark up and a flat sales commision. The current Kelly book value is posted on the ticket, and is usually up to $1000's lower.

I am buying a car from them, since I work, there I get a car for $300 over what they buy it for, so I am looking forward to trading in my 85 Grand Marquise-12 mile per gallon dinosaur. I only paid $900 bucks for it 18 months ago and it is in perfect condition, but gas is just screwing me. I put in $20 to get to work and got 6.5 freakin gallons. So I get to drive about 80 miles on that if I am lucky. I want a used truck, but I think they are going to be dropping in price for awhile, so might just buy a midsized car that gets maybe 22 to 28 MPG. That would be the smart thing for me to do at least.

SBK
09-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Last week they had ads in Atlanta for the QX56, a 60,000+ truck for 43,000. My wife wants an SUV so it might just be a good time to buy one pretty soon.

Skip Towne
09-01-2005, 10:23 PM
You just went to work there? F*ckin n00b! Wanna fight?

Garcia Bronco
09-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Last week they had ads in Atlanta for the QX56, a 60,000+ truck for 43,000. My wife wants an SUV so it might just be a good time to buy one pretty soon.
You are on a shortbus...handle your woman...and tell her that she doesn't need one...and get something fuel efficent...and did you see what they had to do today in Georgia?

dilligaf
09-01-2005, 10:25 PM
I am selling the sh1t out of these Toyotas. Every model is going very well. Especially the Prius.
Driving a Prius is like dating a fat chick, its acually a nice ride but you wouldnt want your friends to catch you in one. :p

Halfcan
09-01-2005, 10:28 PM
If you can skids wait maybe another month or two and keep checking the price. I can almost gaurentee it will go down. First rule don't fall love with the car you want. It is a depreciating asset and a major expense on many levels. Go to Carmax.com I bet you will see lots of them and more on the way. You can have any vehicle transfered for $150 that will be put to your purchase price. So if they sell that one in Atlanta, there is probably 50 more around. Say that 43 k drops only 15% because of the economic reasons-that is $6450 in your pocket times the interest savings over the entire loan if you finance. Good luck on whatever you do-it is a Buyers Market so you should be in good shape.

dilligaf
09-01-2005, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=Halfcan]Carmax is the Walmart of cars really. They are not like new dealers that screw with you on price. They want to deal in volumn like walmart. Very low mark up and a flat sales commision. The current Kelly book value is posted on the ticket, and is usually up to $1000's lower.

Yeah, right. But hey, your starting to sound like a carsalesman. Good luck. Only 7% of the people that sell cars last the first year.

Halfcan
09-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Yeah the Toyotas are like money in the bank, we can't keep them in stock. Where do you work, bigpepe?

SBK
09-01-2005, 10:33 PM
You are on a shortbus...handle your woman...and tell her that she doesn't need one...and get something fuel efficent...and did you see what they had to do today in Georgia?

Yep, I saw what happened here. I saw cops directing traffic to the pumps. I learned more yesterday, on how fast something can change that I'll ever know.

I didn't fill up, and went to 3 gas stations today that were all empty. Saw dozens empty last night. Surreal to say the least. (I ended up filling my car at $3.49 a gallon, which was $56.00) :shake:

That being said, I don't mind if my wife gets an SUV. If I can go and steal one, which I'm sure I can, it's the time to buy. If you're in the market for a Civic or a Corolla, the price just went up for you......waaaayyy up.

SBK
09-01-2005, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=Halfcan]Carmax is the Walmart of cars really. They are not like new dealers that screw with you on price. They want to deal in volumn like walmart. Very low mark up and a flat sales commision. The current Kelly book value is posted on the ticket, and is usually up to $1000's lower.

Yeah, right. But hey, your starting to sound like a carsalesman. Good luck. Only 7% of the people that sell cars last the first year.

When I sold cars I didn't last a year, and I got fired a week before Christmas. :clap:

Bastages.

dilligaf
09-01-2005, 10:37 PM
When I sold cars I didn't last a year, and I got fired a week before Christmas. :clap:

Bastages.
It aint for everybody, man. I love it though. :thumb:

Halfcan
09-01-2005, 10:41 PM
I am actuallly a Real Estate agent, but Carmax offered me $37,500 with no cap gaurenteed, plus great benefits. I couldn't pass it up. I will still run my RE business which will now be extra money for me instead of bread and butter.

Yeah Carmax does work, on volumn, my store which is new just broke its own sales record with 286 units sold for the month. That doesn't count what they bought. And I didn't mean all new dealers are crooks-just some. A lot of people are bad at negotiating deals and screw themselves also. The lady with the van must have really made several bad trade ins to get in her position.

foxman
09-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the car business. So, after a day in the appraisel office you have it nailed it looks like. GM is less than 60 days away from a 30% + market share. These $3+ gas prices are temporary although I think we can all kiss seeing anything that starts with a $1 in terms of gas goodbye. Bottom line is the car business is unlike anything. Trust me when I say those guys or thousands like them who are trying to trade and are flipped 10grand are nothing new. Every day people driving virtualy every make or model comes through the doors of a dealership like yours or mine and is crushed like a bug. Do me a favor and spend a while longer in the business and observe it's changes...seemingly daily before getting yourself too worked up about these things. As far as GM or Ford or anyone else for that matter dropping prices 30% or whater rediculous number that was....please.

Oh and while I am on the soap box, you made a very general statement about Carmax not being like the other guys....Bull$hit. We are all in business to make money, you just havent realized how they do it yet. While it is true dealers do not make the kind of money on new cars that most people think...please don't compare selling cars to buying milk at walmart, that is insulting. I got 13 years under my belt and have forgotten more about selling cars than you have learned so far, so please don't try to be some consumer watchdog that thinks he knows more than he does. Can you get screwed...sure. You can get screwed in any kind of transaction...move on.

Miles
09-01-2005, 10:46 PM
I really fortunate to have sold my Mustang cobra early this summer. I imagine that the market for a car that sucks down premium isnt much better than these big SUV's.

Still i imagine that these prices of the trucks are plummiting from people overreacting. Even at these ultra high gas prices it takes a shitload of gas to offset the thousands lost on trading them in.

dilligaf
09-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Yeah the Toyotas are like money in the bank, we can't keep them in stock. Where do you work, bigpepe?
A Toyota dealer. :p

dilligaf
09-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Still i imagine that these prices of the trucks are plummiting from people overreacting. Even at these ultra high gas prices it takes a shitload of gas to offset the thousands lost on trading them in.

There is alot of panic going on right now. The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

SBK
09-01-2005, 10:54 PM
It aint for everybody, man. I love it though. :thumb:

I'll tell you this, I'd never be where I am today, if I hadn't done that. Good luck to you!

dilligaf
09-01-2005, 10:55 PM
I'll tell you this, I'd never be where I am today, if I hadn't done that. Good luck to you!
Where are you at, and how did carsales help you get there?

Halfcan
09-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Wow foxman I see your a big Carmax fan. First off I was passing on infomation from our buyers that have been in the business 20 plus years. Second they pulled up the graphs showing the specific drop in prices with percentages for each model. Not only Carmax black book prices which shows every sale in the country at a Carmax and is updated daily, it also shows the wholesale auction market and the Kelly blue book. Out of 80 appraisals 65 were for trucks, Suv's or other luxuary cars. How can you not think the secondary market is not going to drop? Pretty optomistic on gas prices too. I paid $4.00 per gallon in Canada over the summer, so I can only imagine how high they are there. Say you are right and gas only goes to $3.35 and tops out til winter. Being in the business, you don't think people are going to be trading in? I follow futures pretty close and I don't think it is temporary. Maybe in Jan or Feb they will drop back down just in time for the annual spring hike.

SBK
09-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Where are you at, and how did carsales help you get there?

I own a few companies. I learned so much having every person I talked to treat me like a jerk, and how to negotiate from that standpoint. It sucked balls, but it was totally worth it.

No way I could deal with the pressure I have to deal with, if I didn't have that 10 months as a used car salesman.

Halfcan
09-01-2005, 11:07 PM
7% huh big pepe, that seems high. Only less than 1% of the people that started in RE 5 years ago are still licensed like I am. Selling is selling. I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't confident I will be good at it. Your business should be going through the roof now-gotta love that panic mode when you are closing the deal.

dilligaf
09-01-2005, 11:08 PM
I learned so much having every person I talked to treat me like a jerk, and how to negotiate from that standpoint. It sucked balls, but it was totally worth it.

And then after you were done talking to your managers and fellow sales people, you had to go out and deal with the customers. :thumb:

SBK
09-01-2005, 11:14 PM
And then after you were done talking to your managers and fellow sales people, you had to go out and deal with the customers. :thumb:

Only a car salesman would know that! ROFL

Spicy McHaggis
09-01-2005, 11:14 PM
That part is less than pleasant. Mine's only a V6, though... so that mitigates the assf*cking somewhat.

Yeah same here. My buddy has an older lightning and that 5.8 just sucks the gas down. Prices just hit $3.00ish here and he almost pissed himself.

Valiant
09-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Wow foxman I see your a big Carmax fan. First off I was passing on infomation from our buyers that have been in the business 20 plus years. Second they pulled up the graphs showing the specific drop in prices with percentages for each model. Not only Carmax black book prices which shows every sale in the country at a Carmax and is updated daily, it also shows the wholesale auction market and the Kelly blue book. Out of 80 appraisals 65 were for trucks, Suv's or other luxuary cars. How can you not think the secondary market is not going to drop? Pretty optomistic on gas prices too. I paid $4.00 per gallon in Canada over the summer, so I can only imagine how high they are there. Say you are right and gas only goes to $3.35 and tops out til winter. Being in the business, you don't think people are going to be trading in? I follow futures pretty close and I don't think it is temporary. Maybe in Jan or Feb they will drop back down just in time for the annual spring hike.

It might be because 75% of all vehicals sold are trucks/suv's/vans.. The majority of the population own these types of vehicals, if it gets to where i have to spend 100bucks on my truck to fill up I will just switch the engine over to something other then unleaded...

Halfcan
09-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Switch to what natural gas. I guy in the barber shop was talking about switching his old work truck somehow. His friend was in the propane business and their trucks were all natural gas.

Garcia Bronco
09-01-2005, 11:30 PM
The main thing I remember when I go to buy a car is that the dealership is not doing anything thta's good for me.

I had car fever a couple months back...I would have been upside down on 3k...not a big deal...but now I'm back ontrack and will ride my 2k Maxima until it dies, it gets 22-28 mpg...and I can live with that.

Garcia Bronco
09-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Only a car salesman would know that! ROFL

I worked for a guy that sold cars for ten years...and you guys are totally right...he treated me like an ass.....toughens ya up though

Frazod
09-01-2005, 11:36 PM
F#ck it. The Back to the Future DeLorean is in an auto museum about an hour north of here. I'm gonna break in and steal the Mr. Fusion.

Halfcan
09-01-2005, 11:45 PM
I don't know endnelt, it was just a pissed off old man reading the world the riot act in the barber. I was trying to talk to my friend while he was cutting my hair and this guy just starts going off on gas prices. When he started driving gas was a nickel a gallon. Seriously the old man started getting redfaced and got so worked up he left without Gary cutting his hair. The rest of just sat there like, okay that was a little psycho. I will, be that guy someday-I remember the gold old days when gas was only $3.50 a gallon!!
I didn't know you could use propane? Shit it cost me $20 bucks to fill up the tank on my grill. Maybe we can switch to used grease from fry vats like those college kids that drove across country. That would show the Arabs.

Garcia Bronco
09-01-2005, 11:50 PM
F#ck it. The Back to the Future DeLorean is in an auto museum about an hour north of here. I'm gonna break in and steal the Mr. Fusion.

dibs on the flux capacitor

Halfcan
09-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Yeah Garcia- I have been screwed plenty by those car bastards-now I am one of them-lol Right out of college I got a Ford Ranger at sticker, with the undercoating and 6 yr extended warranty with 18% interest. I just couldn't believe they were going to give me a loan. I had a part time job selling knives with Cutco and was totally broke. I can remember thinking those guys are really stupid for letting me take this truck. I think I made two payments before it was totaled out. So it was the insurance co that got the mop up duty after that deal.

Halfcan
09-01-2005, 11:55 PM
lol endnelt-they could always carry a grill in the trunk. Good for tailgating.

tk13
09-02-2005, 12:03 AM
The DeLorean ran off standard gasoline. Mr. Fusion just ran the time circuits. That's why they had such a hard time getting out of 1885 in the third movie, Marty ripped the gas line so the car couldn't run. Unless you're looking to go back to the Chiefs Super Bowl win or see 90 year old frazod, Mr. Fusion won't do you any good.

This post was brought to you by the "let's see how big of a dork tk can be" foundation.

Halfcan
09-02-2005, 12:05 AM
lol tk, you must have the trilogy. Hey I rode the Back to Future ride in Universal studio's. It was big shit back then. If I had the time machine I would go back, and ride it again, and be the first in line to watch the original Back to the Future-lol

Garcia Bronco
09-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Yeah Garcia- I have been screwed plenty by those car bastards-now I am one of them-lol Right out of college I got a Ford Ranger at sticker, with the undercoating and 6 yr extended warranty with 18% interest. I just couldn't believe they were going to give me a loan. I had a part time job selling knives with Cutco and was totally broke. I can remember thinking those guys are really stupid for letting me take this truck. I think I made two payments before it was totaled out. So it was the insurance co that got the mop up duty after that deal.

my first...ass rammed on the finance..12 percent...as rammed on the price during negs...with trade in and without costs...****ers...oh well...you live you learn

tk13
09-02-2005, 12:11 AM
lol tk, you must have the trilogy. Hey I rode the Back to Future ride in Universal studio's. It was big shit back then. If I had the time machine I would go back, and ride it again, and be the first in line to watch the original Back to the Future-lol
I've been to Universal, didn't actually go on the ride though. But yeah I own the trilogy on DVD. :D

Garcia Bronco
09-02-2005, 12:11 AM
The DeLorean ran off standard gasoline. Mr. Fusion just ran the time circuits. That's why they had such a hard time getting out of 1885 in the third movie, Marty ripped the gas line so the car couldn't run. Unless you're looking to go back to the Chiefs Super Bowl win or see 90 year old frazod, Mr. Fusion won't do you any good.

This post was brought to you by the "let's see how big of a dork tk can be" foundation.

What about the train at the end....it ran off of steam I believe....that Doc Brown...what a smart mutherfocker.

Halfcan
09-02-2005, 12:20 AM
lol, Doc Brown, oh my this is turning into a Back to the Future fan club meeting. Hey we can all meet at tk's he has the trilogy.

keg in kc
09-02-2005, 12:21 AM
I always hated those movies. I guess I can stop calling myself a geek. Finally.

jjjayb
09-02-2005, 06:14 AM
Welcome to the car business. So, after a day in the appraisel office you have it nailed it looks like. GM is less than 60 days away from a 30% + market share. These $3+ gas prices are temporary although I think we can all kiss seeing anything that starts with a $1 in terms of gas goodbye. Bottom line is the car business is unlike anything. Trust me when I say those guys or thousands like them who are trying to trade and are flipped 10grand are nothing new. Every day people driving virtualy every make or model comes through the doors of a dealership like yours or mine and is crushed like a bug. Do me a favor and spend a while longer in the business and observe it's changes...seemingly daily before getting yourself too worked up about these things. As far as GM or Ford or anyone else for that matter dropping prices 30% or whater rediculous number that was....please.

Oh and while I am on the soap box, you made a very general statement about Carmax not being like the other guys....Bull$hit. We are all in business to make money, you just havent realized how they do it yet. While it is true dealers do not make the kind of money on new cars that most people think...please don't compare selling cars to buying milk at walmart, that is insulting. I got 13 years under my belt and have forgotten more about selling cars than you have learned so far, so please don't try to be some consumer watchdog that thinks he knows more than he does. Can you get screwed...sure. You can get screwed in any kind of transaction...move on.

:clap:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

"but we sell em for less than Kelly blue book!" Welcome to every other car dealership in the world. :rolleyes:

KCTitus
09-02-2005, 06:51 AM
is foxman that Sonny Hill guy?

ndbbm
09-02-2005, 06:55 AM
I got an '04 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. Filled er up 2 minghts ago. $63.00

That will last me 4 days. 126.00 dollars a week in gas. I need to get a bike again.

foxman
09-02-2005, 07:07 AM

I have nothing against Carmax. There is one about 15 minutes from the dealership I work at. What I mind is poeple who think they know about the car busines that have sold them for a month or the Joe blow that sold them back in the day for a moment and now he is Joe master negotiator or Joe consumer watchdog, pay me so you don't get screwed. I mind people comparing Carmax to walmart. We don't buy fricking cars or houses or any other major purchase from a freakin walmart. Yeah, let me have a bottle of listerine, a can of tuna oh and I'll take that blue 01 Taurus with 38000 miles please. Give me a break. I think Carmax and companies like them serve a purpose, and thats to represent themselves as a "non confrontational" dealership. Be that as it may please don't be disalusioned into thinking they are any better than any other dealership in the country. Please don't take pride in the fact that at least you arent working for one of those bad guys. There are good Carmax people and there are sleezy carmax people just as there are good Chevy stores and bad ones or any other store you can buy any other product or service from. The fact it is a Carmax does not make you any more of a good person or less of a sleezbag in the eyes of the public. You are a used car salesman who has the chance to be a good person working in what is a tough industry. You can make your part as good as you can, but to suggest that the fact it is a sleeze free place because it is Carmax is insulting.

You could be right abut gas prices, but the way I see it is that the sudden recent rise is due to the Katrina hurricane shutting down LA, Once that system gets going our prices should start to return to the mid 2's. I am in North Carolina so our prices might be differant than yours as we just started seeing 3's for regular yesterday. Rather than trading and rolling over that nagative equity I usually suggest trying to car pool or find another cheaper used vehicle that you can afford. If you own a truck, you might need that truck and chances are you arent going to get a significant improvement in gas mileage by simply getting a smaller truck. So, you either gut it out and adjust your budget or you buy an additional higher fuel efficiant vehicle or you prepare to loose you tail on a trade. As I said I would suggest looking for a higher fuel efficiant alternative to use as a back and forth vehiclce if that possible and park the truck or SUV for the necessary runs.

foxman
09-02-2005, 07:07 AM
is foxman that Sonny Hill guy?

No, never heard of him. 4th and long knows me if you need a referance.

KCTitus
09-02-2005, 07:18 AM
No, never heard of him. 4th and long knows me if you need a referance.

Just making a little funny...it was a dealer in north KC that advertised ALL the time and the actor was called 'Sonny Hill' and the advertisements were a little annoying.

Lzen
09-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Sounds like good news to this truck owner.

My truck's paid off. I planned on driving the thing until it died. Or, it just cost a ridiculous amount to fix whatever might be broken on it. Sounds like if that happens relatively soon, I'll be able to get my next truck cheap. Score.

Yep, mine too. I don't have a huge engine but it is a 4.6L V8. It cost me about $75 to fill the tank when it's empty. :banghead: As for the prices of trucks, I guess I should've waited another month or two. I just bought my Ford F150 about a month and a half ago. Oh well, stuff happens.

And I'm not one of those people who buy trucks but never have a use for a truck. I've been doing lots of home repairs and other things where a truck comes in real handy. :thumb:

Lzen
09-02-2005, 07:27 AM

You know what I say to those people? You don't need a new vehicle now. :p Of course, I'm sure they're wanting to buy something more fuel efficient. Either way they go, they're screwed.

Radar Chief
09-02-2005, 07:28 AM
I got an '04 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. Filled er up 2 minghts ago. $63.00

That will last me 4 days. 126.00 dollars a week in gas. I need to get a bike again.

Ah, another convert.
Welcome back from the “hell of the steel cages”. ;)

teedubya
09-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Id recommend everyone look at their fuel filter, and changing it if need be. That is what I did... much better gas mileage.

Radar Chief
09-02-2005, 07:30 AM
Id recommend everyone look at their fuel filter, and changing it if need be. That is what I did... much better gas mileage.

:spock:

Lzen
09-02-2005, 07:36 AM
I am actuallly a Real Estate agent, but Carmax offered me $37,500 with no cap gaurenteed, plus great benefits. I couldn't pass it up. I will still run my RE business which will now be extra money for me instead of bread and butter.

Yeah Carmax does work, on volumn, my store which is new just broke its own sales record with 286 units sold for the month. That doesn't count what they bought. And I didn't mean all new dealers are crooks-just some. A lot of people are bad at negotiating deals and screw themselves also. The lady with the van must have really made several bad trade ins to get in her position.

Heh, new car dealer used car dealer. It doesn't matter. Every car dealer I've ever known or dealt with would screw me over in a NY minute. It's all about getting the biggest profit margin for them. Now a flat rate comission is a good start but I still don't think that'll change their nature very much.

That's why it's a very good idea to research and know how things work. Get your financing in place before going car shopping, if possible. And be prepared to walk away if they won't give you the price that you are willing to pay for a vehicle. Those are things I have done and I think it's worked out pretty well for me. ;)

Bwana
09-02-2005, 07:48 AM
foxman saved me a hell of a lot of time in this thread.

rep

Lzen
09-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Rather than trading and rolling over that nagative equity I usually suggest trying to car pool or find another cheaper used vehicle that you can afford. If you own a truck, you might need that truck and chances are you arent going to get a significant improvement in gas mileage by simply getting a smaller truck. So, you either gut it out and adjust your budget or you buy an additional higher fuel efficiant vehicle or you prepare to loose you tail on a trade. As I said I would suggest looking for a higher fuel efficiant alternative to use as a back and forth vehiclce if that possible and park the truck or SUV for the necessary runs.

Yep, good post. I have parked the truck in the garage and have been back to riding my bike this week. (That's bicycle, not motorcycle, RadarChief. ;) ) I'm thinking about buying something cheap like a scooter for back and forth to work trips but I don't know. It kinda sucks to ride a bike when the Kansas weather gets cold in late Fall and into Winter. I can imagine how much worse that would be on a scooter that goes about 2-3 times as fast as my bike. I may just have to carpool with the wife and use the truck only for necessary things.

foxman
09-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Just making a little funny...it was a dealer in north KC that advertised ALL the time and the actor was called 'Sonny Hill' and the advertisements were a little annoying.

Oops sorry bout that...it flew over my head.

GoTrav
09-02-2005, 08:15 AM
98 civic, black and in good condition 79k miles

Let the bidding start!

I gots kids to feed!

Mile High Mania
09-02-2005, 08:16 AM
I got rid of my Yukon XL when the gas approached $2... it was costing me $80 every 6 days at that point. I don't even want to know what I'd be spending now.

Radar Chief
09-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Yep, good post. I have parked the truck in the garage and have been back to riding my bike this week. (That's bicycle, not motorcycle, RadarChief. ;) ) I'm thinking about buying something cheap like a scooter for back and forth to work trips but I don't know. It kinda sucks to ride a bike when the Kansas weather gets cold in late Fall and into Winter. I can imagine how much worse that would be on a scooter that goes about 2-3 times as fast as my bike. I may just have to carpool with the wife and use the truck only for necessary things.

Bicycles? :spock: Oh yea, I’ve heard of those.
Just not sure how you’d add an air shifter or nitrous to one.

KCTitus
09-02-2005, 09:11 AM
98 civic, black and in good condition 79k miles

Let the bidding start!

I gots kids to feed!

LOL...I bought my Accent in 2000 to commute with...Im loving it even more now. I just wish it had like 10 more HP.

Soupnazi
09-02-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm thanking my lucky stars I didn't buy that new truck about 2 months ago.