PDA

View Full Version : Saints to play first home game in NY

Hydrae
09-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Just announced on ESPN radio. Tagliabue has announced that the Giants and Saints game will be played in Giants stadium.

Not sure how I feel about this answer. :shrug:

Bob Dole
09-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Just announced on ESPN radio. Tagliabue has announced that the Giants and Saints game will be played in Giants stadium.

Not sure how I feel about this answer. :shrug:

Bob Dole thinks it's a shitty answer.

If the Saints don't get the home field advantage from their "home game," neither team should. Adding home field advantage to their opponent just adds insult to injury.

HolmeZz
09-02-2005, 04:04 PM
The Giants offered to play the game at home. Gee, that was nice of them.

PRIEST
09-02-2005, 04:08 PM
How much longer are we gonna have to put up with Tagliabue ?Time to purge the system ,do not like this azzhat :banghead:

Saulbadguy
09-02-2005, 04:09 PM
How much longer are we gonna have to put up with Tagliabue ?Time to purge the system ,do not like this azzhat :banghead:
Do you know how difficult of a situation this is?

KChiefs1
09-02-2005, 04:10 PM
How does this help the Saints? Baton Rouge would have been a better option wouldn't it?

Nzoner
09-02-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm assuming it's going to be a Saturday game as well as the Jets have their home opener that same weekend.

Nzoner
09-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Well that answers that (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-katrina-saintsgamemoved1stld-&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Saints to play opener at Giants Stadium
September 2, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New Orleans Saints, driven from the Superdome by Hurricane Katrina, will play their home opener against the New York Giants at Giants Stadium.

It is not clear, however, when the game will be played.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Friday the game, scheduled for Sept. 18, is being moved to the Giants' home in East Rutherford, N.J.

The New York Jets, who share the stadium with the Giants, are scheduled to play at home against Miami on Sept. 18. As a result, the Giants-Saints game most likely will be played Saturday, Sept. 17, or the following Monday.

The league said it was possible the game could be played as part of a doubleheader Sunday, with the one game at 1 p.m. and the other at night. The Jets are now scheduled to start at 4:15 p.m.

``We are in the process of working out the specific arrangements, including the day and kickoff time and plans for television coverage,'' Tagliabue said. He added that information on tickets will be announced in a few days by the Giants.

He said the Saints and Giants had agreed to donate part of the gate receipts from the game to the hurricane relief fund.

The Saints, who spent the past week on the West Coast, are moving their headquarters to San Antonio for the immediate future. The Alamodome in San Antonio, which holds 65,000, had been considered a strong possibility for the game.

Tagliabue indicated, however, it was best to get the game out of the area struck by Hurricane Katrina. The Alamodome and other facilities in the San Antonio area, a little more than 500 miles from New Orleans, are being used to shelter hurricane victims.

Tagliabue said he made the decision to move the game to the Giants' home stadium after consulting with Saints owner Tom Benson and other officials.

``There are many reasons for this decision,'' Tagliabue said, ``including recognizing that the overwhelming priority for public and private resources in Louisiana and the Gulf Coast region in the weeks ahead must be the essential needs of the public and restoration of the area's infrastructure.''

The Saints will open at Carolina on Sept. 11 before playing the Giants.

``Our main concern is with the people of Louisiana and the Gulf Coast region who have experienced the recent tragedy,'' Benson said. ``We are attempting to carry on in these difficult times and are looking out for the best interest of our coaches, staff, players and their families. My prayers are with each of those who have been adversely impacted.''

The last game to be moved was two years ago, when wildfires in Southern California caused a game between Miami and San Diego to be moved from San Diego to Phoenix. Last season, the starting time of a game in Miami between the Dolphins and Pittsburgh Steelers was moved from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. to allow Hurricane Jeanne to move through south Florida.

Frazod
09-02-2005, 04:19 PM
I don't really think it matters. I figure most New Orleans fans have more important things to worry about than where the Saints get beat next weekend.

tk13
09-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Ahhh, that would be something... to put that game right after the Jets game. That whole crowd definitely wouldn't be rooting for the Giants. That'd help neutralize some home field advantage. From a football standpoint, I'm sure the other NFCE teams wouldn't like the Giants getting an extra home game.

Bob Dole
09-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Wow. Not only do the Saints get to play their "home game" in the opponent's home stadium, they get to do it on one less day's prep.

Maybe Fagliabue could have the Saints pick up NY's payroll expenses, too?

The "portion of the gate receipts" damned well equal anything the Giants would pocket from this bullshit.

PRIEST
09-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Do you know how difficult of a situation this is?

Not just this situation , Tagliabue Has made off handed comments about the Chiefs D. The way you can't hit the QB, just watering down the NFL in general.

Bob Dole
09-02-2005, 04:24 PM
I don't really think it matters. I figure most New Orleans fans have more important things to worry about than where the Saints get beat next weekend.

Actually, the Saints have a decent following around here.

And don't you imagine that the displaced fans from New Orleans might be due a 3 hour diversion from their problems by then?

Frazod
09-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Actually, the Saints have a decent following around here.

And don't you imagine that the displaced fans from New Orleans might be due a 3 hour diversion from their problems by then?

Sure. They can watch it on TV.

tk13
09-02-2005, 04:26 PM
If they have power...

Frazod
09-02-2005, 04:28 PM
If they have power...

Good point.

Of course, if they still don't have power in their homes, again, they probably have better things to worry about than actually attending a football game.

This sucks, obviously. But I can't fault the logic of moving the game to NY. It's too bad their opening game isn't against a divisional foe so they could just swap. Oh well.

Nzoner
09-02-2005, 04:28 PM

The Saints actually had a better road record last year.

NOT to sound selfish here but I'd really like a Saturday game that weekend as then I only have to choose which 7 of 9 instead of 10 noon games to show for the opening weekend of the gameroom.

Frazod
09-02-2005, 04:30 PM
NOT to sound selfish here but I'd really like a Saturday game that weekend as then I only have to choose which 7 of 9 instead of 10 noon games to show for the opening weekend of the gameroom.

You suck. :p

Bob Dole
09-02-2005, 04:32 PM

Bob Dole wasn't implying that playing the game in New Orleans was an option.

Bob Dole is saying that it should be played at a neutral site.

Frazod
09-02-2005, 04:35 PM

Yeah, that would have worked, too.

Bob Dole
09-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah, that would have worked, too.

Since New York wouldn't enjoy the home field advantage for their "away game" and they wouldn't have to play it on one fewer days prep, when everything is kind of ****ed up anyway because the Saints don't have all their tech.

Duh.

Nzoner
09-02-2005, 04:40 PM

Would Vegas have had lines on that game prior to the disaster?

I'm just curious as if they'd cancel those previous bets if so.

Bob Dole
09-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Would Vegas have had lines on that game prior to the disaster?

I'm just curious as if they'd cancel those previous bets if so.

Isn't Vegas typically only 6 days ahead on regular season games.

Nzoner
09-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Isn't Vegas typically only 6 days ahead on regular season games.

I don't know,that's why I asked.I've only been there once during football season and to say my memory is a bit foggy is a major understatement.

Hydrae
09-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Good point.

Of course, if they still don't have power in their homes, again, they probably have better things to worry about than actually attending a football game.

This sucks, obviously. But I can't fault the logic of moving the game to NY. It's too bad their opening game isn't against a divisional foe so they could just swap. Oh well.

FYI - they open in Carolina, this will be a week 2 game. Not that it matters but that be tha fact, Jack.

Bob Dole
09-02-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't know,that's why I asked.I've only been there once during football season and to say my memory is a bit foggy is a major understatement.

Bob Dole lived there for a solid year and his memory is a bit foggy...

Taco John
09-02-2005, 04:57 PM
I hate to say it, but I almost feel like they should postpone the season... cancel a week or two until we're through the crisis phase of this thing and looking back at it. This isn't like 9/11, where once the event was done, it was done. The effects of this thing keep coming.

Bob Dole
09-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Looks like Bob Dole isnt the only person that thinks the move to play it in the Giants home stadium is a load of shit. At least they moved it to Monday.

NEW YORK (AP) - The Giants-Saints game, driven from New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina, will be played as part of a nationally televised doubleheader starting at 7:30 p.m. EDT on Monday, Sept. 19.

The game, already moved to the Giants' home in the New Jersey Meadowlands, will begin on ABC, then be switched to ESPN at 9 p.m., when ABC goes to the regularly scheduled game between Washington and Dallas in Irving, Texas. In New York and Louisiana, as well as other parts of the Gulf Coast, ABC will continue to carry the Giants-Saints game, switching to Redskins-Cowboys when the Saints game ends.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said other details, such as ticket sales, will be announced soon.

"We appreciate the leadership of ABC and ESPN in helping us turn this particular Monday night into far more than a prime-time football doubleheader, making it part of the overall Gulf Coast relief effort," commissioner Paul Tagliabue said in a statement released by the NFL. "The New Orleans Saints know the importance of rising to help meet the Gulf Coast's extraordinary challenges, and we salute them, too."

The NFL said fund-raising efforts for hurricane relief will be intertwined in the telecasts of both games.

Saints coach Jim Haslett, already miffed at losing a home game, found it curious the NFL would allow this game to overlap with the already scheduled Monday nighter.

"I really don't know why they're doing it," Haslett said, rolling his eyes.

Monday was the likely choice because the Meadowlands is playing host to a soccer game Saturday, Sept. 17 and the New York Jets play the Miami Dolphins there on Sunday.

The Saints are still waiting for a decision where they'll play the remaining seven games scheduled for the Superdome. The candidates are LSU's Tiger Stadium, the team's overwhelming choice; the Alamodome in San Antonio, where the Saints are living and practicing; or being on the road for all 16 games.

The scheduling does not totally satisfy the other NFC East teams because the Giants get an extra home game from the switch - even if they are officially listed as visitors.

"I'd be smart not to comment on that," Dallas coach Bill Parcells said Monday.

gblowfish
09-06-2005, 07:09 AM
It would be much better for Saints fans to play that game in Houston, or Dallas, or Baton Rouge, or Atlanta, or about a million other places. Other teams in the NFC East ought to be pissed, because the Giants get an extra home game. That throws off the competitive balance. I haven't seen any news, but are Saints season ticket holders going to get their money back? I wonder how that will be arranged since everyone is displaced?

Brock
09-06-2005, 07:33 AM
I just heard on the radio that Saints owner Tom Benson is taking this opportunity to permanently vacate New Orleans. They won't be back.

Chiefnj
09-06-2005, 07:45 AM
This isn't like 9/11, where once the event was done, it was done.

Congratulations for winning retard of the week.

Bob Dole
09-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Congratulations for winning retard of the week.

...for the 242nd consecutive week.

ChiefsCountry
09-06-2005, 07:59 AM
I wonder if it was any team but NY, would they have gotten the game at home?

carlos3652
09-06-2005, 08:15 AM
I think the Saints are moving to LA next year... I dont think they will be able to go back to NO...

Bob Dole
09-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Sweet chocolate Jesus.

We sure wouldn't want to let the team decide where it wants to play its own home games.

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- A deal is close that would move four of the New Orleans Saints' home games to the Alamodome, according to a published report.

The San Antonio Express-News, citing unidentified sources close to the negotiations, said Friday that city and Saints officials have nearly completed a deal to bring four games to the city.

A high-ranking city official said the NFL hasn't signed off on the deal, but other city government sources told the newspaper they didn't expect any problems gaining approval from league commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

The Saints have set up makeshift headquarters and are practicing in San Antonio because of the hurricane damage to the Louisiana Superdome. They have said they would prefer to play their home games at LSU in Baton Rouge. The newspaper said the plan being discussed also would move three Saints' home games to LSU's Tiger Stadium.

The newspaper said an announcement on an agreement could come as early as Friday.

"I'm not aware that an agreement has been reached," NFL spokesman Joe Browne told The Associated Press. "The scheduling of games needs approval of the commissioner."

B.J. "Red" McCombs, a San Antonio businessman and former Minnesota Vikings owner, has helped facilitate talks between the city and the Saints.

"It looks a little better every day," McCombs said.

The newspaper said likely games to be moved to San Antonio are Oct. 2 against Buffalo, Oct. 16 against Atlanta; Dec. 4 against Tampa Bay and Dec. 24 against Detroit. The Oct. 2 date opened after the Builder's Showcase Expo at the Alamodome agreed to reschedule, dome director Mike Abington said.

The newspaper said the projected dates for Baton Rouge are Oct. 30 against Miami, Nov. 6 against Chicago and Dec. 18 against Carolina.

Source (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/09/09/bc.fbn.katrina.saints.alamodome.ap/index.html)

Bob Dole
09-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Maybe the commish will do the right then yet...

Appearing on Fox's pregame show, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said beginning Sept. 12 the league will look at LSU's stadium as a future home of the Saints. He is hopeful of announcing something this week about where the Saints' next three home games will be.

"Every team represents its city and the state where its team is," he said. "When we've had tragedies in the past -- earthquake in San Francisco, wildfires in San Diego -- we've kept the team close to home and they've managed to stay there for the long term. That is our goal here. That's the reason we're looking at Tiger Stadium in LSU to have the team play there as often as it can.

Source (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NO/8833969)

Coach
09-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Maybe the commish will do the right then yet...

Source (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NO/8833969)

That would be the smart move.

KChiefsQT
09-11-2005, 08:34 PM
I hate to say it, but I almost feel like they should postpone the season... cancel a week or two until we're through the crisis phase of this thing and looking back at it. This isn't like 9/11, where once the event was done, it was done. The effects of this thing keep coming.

What? Postpone the NFL season.. :cuss: .... NOOOOOOO!! This is the worst idea I've ever heard. Two weeks isn't going to make a difference, IMHO.