PDA

View Full Version : Brad Smith turns into Peyton Manning??????

KChiefs1
09-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Here are his official stats for the game:

PASSING
ATT:37
COMP:29
TD:4
INT:0
YDS:317

RUSHING
ATT:12
YDS:95

412 yards of total offense! :clap:

GAME STORY:

Tigers Upend Arkansas State In Opener, 44-17
Brad Smith throws four touchdowns.

Sept. 3, 2005

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - Brad Smith thrived in Missouri's new spread offense, throwing four touchdown passes and just missing 100 yards rushing in a 44-17 victory over Arkansas State on Saturday.

Brad Ekwerekwu caught his first two career touchdown passes for the Tigers, who rolled up 657 yards in offense while playing in Kansas City for the first time in 60 years. It was the home opener for Arkansas State, despite a 6 1/2-hour drive from Jonesboro, Ark., to the Chiefs' Arrowhead Stadium, which was about half-full with an announced attendance of 32,906.

Smith, a dual threat his first two seasons, was primarily a dropback passer last year and Missouri suffered for it with a 5-6 record after going to the Independence Bowl a year earlier. He operated out of a no-back offense most of the time Saturday, mixing it up with handoffs, off shifts, short and medium-range passes and keepers, going 29-for-37 for 317 yards and gaining 95 yards on 12 carries.

He now has 3,083 career rushing yards, passing Brock Olivo for second place on the school's career list, and trails leader Zack Abron by 115 yards.

Missouri, which beat Arkansas State 52-20 in Columbia last year, did not punt until Smith left the game midway through the third quarter. By then, it was 37-0.

Two lost fumbles by wide receiver Sean Coffey were the only minuses in the first half for the Tigers, who scored on their other five possessions and had 417 yards total offense for a 30-0 lead. Smith threw a pair of short TD passes to William Franklin and Ekwerekwu, Marcus Woods scored on a 23-yard run and Tony Temple had a 6-yarder.

Arkansas State, held to 165 yards in a half, was plagued by dropped passes by wide receivers intimidated by some crunching hits in the secondary.

Antonio Warren had 121 yards on 18 carries and a 6-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter for Arkansas State, which opened away from home for the 10th straight season. Nick Noce added a 10-yard scoring pass to Patrick Higgins that cut the gap to 37-17 before the Missouri starters re-entered and quickly scored on a 10-yard pass from Smith to Chase Coffman.

Before the game there was a moment of silence for Aaron O'Neal, the Missouri linebacker who died of viral meningitis in July after a conditioning workout.

|Zach|
09-03-2005, 02:34 PM
My buddies at Mizzou said they were going to open up the offense and do some good things. Sounds like they had a good day even if it was against a small team.

I am heading to Columbia next week to catch the game and hang out all weekend. Should be a blast.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-03-2005, 02:39 PM
SIGN HIM OR MELTDOWNNNNnnnNNNN!!!1111ONE

tiptap
09-03-2005, 02:41 PM
I thought Brad could pass well as run but he lacked the WR last year. Has that changed or is Ark St. just not test?

|Zach|
09-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Good to hear about the hard hitting...I like it.

tk13
09-03-2005, 02:44 PM
SIGN HIM OR MELTDOWNNNNnnnNNNN!!!1111ONE
Kanye West, is that you?

beer bacon
09-03-2005, 02:47 PM
I was at the game. Brad played pretty well. He missed some pretty simple passes, and still often stares down his receivers. Despite that, he still looked good. He also had some good passes, but the biggest difference was his scrambling yardage. That combined with the spread offense really seemed to help the passing game.

Also, we would have scored 6-14 more points if not for Coffee turning the ball over twice after big gains early in the game. Our receivers also dropped at least 3 or 4 catchable passes.

Keep in mind that we were playing against ASU. We were not playing Texas here folks.

Skip Towne
09-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Arkansas State.........yeah, I'm convinced.

beer bacon
09-03-2005, 02:53 PM

At least Missouri actually made their gimmie game a gimmie. That can't be said for some other Big 12 teams.

Frazod
09-03-2005, 02:55 PM
At least Missouri actually made their gimmie game a gimmie. That can't be said for some other Big 12 teams.

I sure hope the Gayhawks pull an OU tonight. :D

beer bacon
09-03-2005, 02:57 PM
I sure hope the Gayhawks pull an OU tonight. :D

Maybe every other Big 12 team will lose today. KSU is up 28-21 in third, and CU is down 7-3 in the second.

Bah. Just as I post CU goes up 10-7. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that just as I post Gamecast updates and tells me CU went up 10-7.

Saulbadguy
09-03-2005, 03:02 PM

#119 ranked team according to CBS Sportsline. Thats #119 out of 119.

twins9807m
09-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I've always liked smith, but i dont know how he'd be in the NFL>?

Chiefs Pantalones
09-03-2005, 03:10 PM
I've always liked smith, but i dont know how he'd be in the NFL>?

He wouldn't be nothing in the NFL.

Vick can throw the ball better than Brad Smith, but that's not saying much.

beer bacon
09-03-2005, 03:11 PM
He wouldn't be nothing in the NFL.

Vick can throw the ball better than Brad Smith, but that's not saying much.

Smith will switch positions.

David.
09-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Everyone knows he has the talent. But I'll be alot happier if he can have numbers like that against Big12 opponents.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Smith will switch positions.

Yeah.

And if it weren't for a strong arm, Black Jesus (Vick) would be a RB.

Notice that I didn't say "accurate" arm.

If Vick ever learns how to read a defense, have poise, and develops some accuracy he'll be unstoppable.

Death Nebula
09-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Any pics of the new uniforms?

CoMoChief
09-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Brad Smith can't throw the ball all that well, that's why most of the plays are designed to be under 25 yards. There setting up with no backs and 5 WR sets, allowing Brad to run if need be. He thrives on his feet, and I think that this can be the year where Mizzou can have a good offense like in 2003, along with a good defense like in 2004, though they have to jump alot of ground due to the loss of nearly the entire defensive line. Should be a good year for MU considering the Big 12 North isn't that great of a division this season.

I was at the game today, and even though Brad Smith looked good, it was also against Arkansas St., a team that MU beat 52-20 last season, when Brad Smith wasn't as good, so well see how things go. Personally I think the offense is gonna do some good things this season.

jspchief
09-03-2005, 04:30 PM
I wonder how that puss would have done against the Hawkeye defense that he was supposed to be facing.

F*ck Missouri. I'd be ashamed to call myself a fan after they way they crawled away from the Hawkeye game like yellow-bellied cowards.

Maybe they can squirm their way out of the Big 12 and get into a D2 conference so they can pretend they don't suck dick.

Reaper16
09-03-2005, 06:35 PM
I wonder how that puss would have done against the Hawkeye defense that he was supposed to be facing.

F*ck Missouri. I'd be ashamed to call myself a fan after they way they crawled away from the Hawkeye game like yellow-bellied cowards.

Maybe they can squirm their way out of the Big 12 and get into a D2 conference so they can pretend they don't suck dick.

Tell us how you really feel.

Skip Towne
09-03-2005, 06:38 PM
#119 ranked team according to CBS Sportsline. Thats #119 out of 119.
Hahahahahahahahaha. But I'll bet the MUrons looked good.

Coach
09-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Arkansas State ain't no Troy. :p

Skip Towne
09-03-2005, 06:46 PM

Maybe you're on to something there. After all, they looked really good against Arkansas State. (snicker)

BigRedChief
09-03-2005, 07:05 PM
I was at the game. Front row. He would had even better stats but for a couple of long pass's that were dropped by his WR's. He looked like Vick. On the other hand the highlt hearlded backup Freshman QB out of Texas looked lost.

Before you jump on me about me being a MU fan I'm neutral. I have no college football team. I was there to convince my son of the wisdom of playing football at MU instead of Colorado.

keg in kc
09-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Lot of teams didn't play as well as I expected today. Michigan didn't look great against NIU. I thought KSU would destroy Florida Atlantic, and, last I saw, Kansas wasn't looking all that great. And I expected a little more out of Mizzou. Combine that with OU losing and Tennessee surviving, and it's been a real entertaining day of games.

Thank god football is back!

Logical
09-03-2005, 07:21 PM
I was at the game. Front row. He would had even better stats but for a couple of long pass's that were dropped by his WR's. He looked like Vick. On the other hand the highlt hearlded backup Freshman QB out of Texas looked lost.

Before you jump on me about me being a MU fan I'm neutral. I have no college football team. I was there to convince my son of the wisdom of playing football at MU instead of Colorado.Not sure how there is wisdom in that unless he is not getting a scholarship. CU has a bigger national rep for football.

Skip Towne
09-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Not sure how there is wisdom in that unless he is not getting a scholarship. CU has a bigger national rep for football.
Rep to you for that. It caught me by surprise.

BigRedChief
09-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Not sure how there is wisdom in that unless he is not getting a scholarship. CU has a bigger national rep for football.

He's not gonna be playing in the NFL. He can possibly get a Division 1 full ride. I'm just being selfish I want to watch him play

gblowfish
09-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Lot of teams didn't play as well as I expected today. Michigan didn't look great against NIU. I thought KSU would destroy Florida Atlantic, and, last I saw, Kansas wasn't looking all that great. And I expected a little more out of Mizzou. Combine that with OU losing and Tennessee surviving, and it's been a real entertaining day of games.

Thank god football is back!I was at the game too. Mizzou called off the dogs after halftime (30 to zip at half). It could have been much worse. Mizzou had two turnovers early on deep in ASU territory. Also looks like Coffey (Smith's best receiver) got a shoulder separation. Good news: looks like Coffman the tight end is the real deal. Mizzou also hit hard and have some speed on defense. ASU just didn't have much size. Their QB turned his ankle in the 3rd Qtr and limped around most of the second half. ASU brought quite a few fans with them. I thought they nice folks and were good fans. Their mascots were embarassing. Three college kids dressed up in village people indian costumes, and a guy in a foam suit wearing overalls that looked like a big red mushroom brush. WTF???

kchero
09-03-2005, 07:37 PM

I take it you must not be a fan of anything Missouri except the good ole Chiefs :p

keg in kc
09-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I expected that's what happened with Mizzou. I saw they were up 37-0, but then a few minutes later it was 37-17 (I think).

I understand that you need to get your young players some experience, but I think they could've used a statement game. Not that 44 points isn't a statement, but I hated seeing them lose the shutout, and I would've Spurriered the score as much as possible. Especially with so many of the top teams in the country struggling against similar teams.

Frazod
09-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I expected that's what happened with Mizzou. I saw they were up 37-0, but then a few minutes later it was 37-17 (I think).

I understand that you need to get your young players some experience, but I think they could've used a statement game. Not that 44 points isn't a statement, but I hated seeing them lose the shutout, and I would've Spurriered the score as much as possible. Especially with so many of the top teams in the country struggling against similar teams.
Sort of like how the Gayhawks are struggling against Florida Atlantic? ROFL

keg in kc
09-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Sort of like how the Gayhawks are struggling against Florida Atlantic? I said "top teams" tim. What does Kansas have to do with that?

Watching Michigan earlier was painful at times. :shake:

Skip Towne
09-03-2005, 07:44 PM
I was at the game too. Mizzou called off the dogs after halftime (30 to zip at half). It could have been much worse. Mizzou had two turnovers early on deep in ASU territory. Also looks like Coffey (Smith's best receiver) got a shoulder separation. Good news: looks like Coffman the tight end is the real deal. Mizzou also hit hard and have some speed on defense. ASU just didn't have much size. Their QB turned his ankle in the 3rd Qtr and limped around most of the second half. ASU brought quite a few fans with them. I thought they nice folks and were good fans. Their mascots were embarassing. Three college kids dressed up in village people indian costumes, and a guy in a foam suit wearing overalls that looked like a big red mushroom brush. WTF???
You didn't like the mascots? What did you expect from a third rate school? Leprechauns?

Logical
09-03-2005, 08:13 PM
He's not gonna be playing in the NFL. He can possibly get a Division 1 full ride. I'm just being selfish I want to watch him playThat makes sense then, best of luck.