PDA

View Full Version : Smokin' a 7-pound pork butt tomorrow...

Fire Me Boy!
09-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Suggestions?

I've never done the butt before (make your jokes now), so... how long, temperature, etc? I've got a rub penetrating (more jokes) right now.

Skip Towne
09-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Man, are you ever asking for it. Didn't you read my Angus thread?

Otter
09-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Suggestions?

If it's your first time, you'll want to make sure there is plenty of lube handy. The length depends on the individual and the temperture should be right around 98.6.

Good luck. Don't forget to get a couple drinks in her first.

morphius
09-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Which is odd, makes me wonder what happened to the other 5 pounds Beerme lost.

Mr. Laz
09-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Suggestions?

done the butt before .......how long .....I've got a rub penetrating ... right now.
you said "BUTT"

hehe

http://home.swipnet.se/domorama/butthead.gif

luv
09-04-2005, 06:17 PM
If it's your first time, you'll want to make sure there is plenty of lube handy. The length depends on the individual and the temperture should be right around 98.6.

Good luck. Don't forget to get a couple drinks in her first.
A couple? You'll probably have to get her plastered!!!

Otter
09-04-2005, 06:26 PM
A couple? You'll probably have to get her plastered!!!

Can't say I blame her... STFU

:D

BigMeatballDave
09-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Suggestions?

I've never done the butt before (make your jokes now), so... how long, temperature, etc? I've got a rub penetrating (more jokes) right now.Sooooooooooooooo many jokes there. My brain is overloading...
ROFL

Taco John
09-04-2005, 06:29 PM
I too am on joke overload... All of them having to do with FireMeBoy sexually copulating a pork butt.

keg in kc
09-04-2005, 06:31 PM
You should probably upgrade your equipment. The butt will thank you for it.

Fire Me Boy!
09-04-2005, 07:11 PM
10 posts, and not a serious one among them... I completely, 100% expected that.

Wow... you guys never fail.

Now... all that's past, and at least KCHawg was nice enough to PM me a serious response.

Fire Me Boy!
09-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Sooooooooooooooo many jokes there. My brain is overloading...
ROFL
That was kind of the idea in wording the thread as I did... however, I expected SOMEONE to give me a real suggestion.

Jenson71
09-04-2005, 07:14 PM
I too am on joke overload... All of them having to do with FireMeBoy sexually copulating a pork butt.

Same here, except my jokes all have to do with Jewish women and zoo monkeys.

go bo
09-04-2005, 07:54 PM
That was kind of the idea in wording the thread as I did... however, I expected SOMEONE to give me a real suggestion.a real suggestion?

maybe you didn't wait long enough...

"you should probably shred that butt before you roll it up and smoke it... :bong: "

go bo
09-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Same here, except my jokes all have to do with Jewish women and zoo monkeys.wow, that's intriguing...

are we talking about little monkeys or big ones?

Fire Me Boy!
09-04-2005, 08:13 PM
a real suggestion?

maybe you didn't wait long enough...

"you should probably shred that butt before you roll it up and smoke it... :bong: "
OK... so it's been 1 hour and 50 minutes... still not long enough?

Mr. Laz
09-04-2005, 08:15 PM
i've never said "i'm gonna smoke a butt" before

cdcox
09-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Since you cook with propane, I just assumed you weren't serious.

cdcox
09-04-2005, 08:17 PM
OK... so it's been 1 hour and 50 minutes... still not long enough?

Just like a propane freak, always in a hurry.

Fire Me Boy!
09-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Since you cook with propane, I just assumed you weren't serious.
I have a propane smoker and it's pretty damn good! Besides, I'll agree that food cooked on a charcoal grill tastes different than that cooked on a propane grill -- which is why I have a charcoal grill AND a propane grill (for when I want a steak in 20 minutes).

However, the flavor from a smoked piece of meat comes from smoking wood -- charcoal has VERY little effect on the flavor of a smoked brisket or a smoked pork butt.

In any case, yes I'm being impatient because I need to have this thing ready by 12-ish tomorrow. If it's gonna take 8 hours, then I need to start it at 4 a.m., now don't I? Which also means I'd like to have SOME sleep before I get up at 4. BUT, I don't know how long this will take and I prefer to take advice from you people because I thought the thread would be funny (because of how I wrote it) AND useful, not to mention I prefer to take advice from people I know, even if I only know them by an alias.

Fire Me Boy!
09-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Just like a propane freak, always in a hurry.
And I'm not a propane freak. I prefer charcoal, but tend to cook mostly with propane because I like the convenience it offers. With smoking, I go with propane because of the aforementioned flavor thing, as well as the fact that I'm normally smoking stuff on a Saturday morning, when I'm sleeping after working overnight. That means, I can put in a couple of good sized chunks of wood in the smoker and let it go until I wake up.

cdcox
09-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Figure AT LEAST 1 hour per lb.
Temp 200 - 240. If you want to make sure it is done at noon, you might want to stay on the positive side of 220. The pork will be done at 165, but if you want it to pull, shoot for an internal temperature of 177. Let it sit for 20 - 30 minutes before pulling. If it looks like it is getting dried out (shouldn't be a problem with a butt) wrap it in foil. Keep the lid on with very little peaking because every time you open it you lose temperature and add to your cooking time.

cdcox
09-04-2005, 08:33 PM
And I was (mostly) teasing about the propane.

Doing a 10 lb brisket myself tomorrow. Putting it on at 6 AM in hopes of eating around 8 - 9 PM.

Fire Me Boy!
09-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Figure AT LEAST 1 hour per lb.
Temp 200 - 240. If you want to make sure it is done at noon, you might want to stay on the positive side of 220. The pork will be done at 165, but if you want it to pull, shoot for an internal temperature of 177. Let it sit for 20 - 30 minutes before pulling. If it looks like it is getting dried out (shouldn't be a problem with a butt) wrap it in foil. Keep the lid on with very little peaking because every time you open it you lose temperature and add to your cooking time.
Thank you! THAT'S what I wanted to know! REP.

KCFANinNC
09-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Fat side up. and when yu wrap it in alum foil use apple juice to baste it.

Fire Me Boy!
09-04-2005, 10:42 PM
So I'll start it about 4 a.m. with a couple of big chunks of hickory. Then, I won't open the door till I get up, between 8 and 9 a.m. (I actually have a day off).

go bo
09-04-2005, 10:56 PM
pork butt, huh?

i'm more of a breast man, myself... :D :D :D

cdcox
09-05-2005, 05:19 AM
I got the brisket going. A little excitement with a too-hot fire for about 20 min, but I've got everything settled in now.

R&GHomer
09-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Sounds like fun, I haven't had time to smoke anything lately, but a good pulled pork sandwich is hard to beat. I normally smoke mine for about an hour per pound at 210. I might be a little off, but I think for pulled pork your internal temp is above 180. You'll know it's done when you can scrape a fork across it and it just falls apart.

Skip Towne
09-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Why do they call it pulled pork?

cdcox
09-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Why do they call it pulled pork?

Because you can literally pull it apart into perfect sandwich meat without a knife

http://singletree.ans.oregonstate.edu/public/Assets/Product%20Pictures/Full%20Scale%20recipes/Low%20and%20Slow%20Pulled%20Pork.jpg

Skip Towne
09-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Because you can literally pull it apart into perfect sandwich meat without a knife

http://singletree.ans.oregonstate.edu/public/Assets/Product%20Pictures/Full%20Scale%20recipes/Low%20and%20Slow%20Pulled%20Pork.jpg
It looks really good but I wish they would call it something else.

Fire Me Boy!
09-05-2005, 09:38 AM
This is 6 hours in... below it -- the beans soaking up all the pork goodness dripping down! :drool:

R&GHomer
09-05-2005, 09:38 AM
It looks really good but I wish they would call it something else.

ROFL Nothing like telling your immature friends how your going to rub your butt and make pulled pork sandwiches.

R&GHomer
09-05-2005, 09:44 AM
This is 6 hours in... below it -- the beans soaking up all the pork goodness dripping down! :drool:

:drool: Looking good Fire Me Boy. Good gawd damn I'm hungry now. Thanks alot :)

cdcox
09-05-2005, 10:41 AM

Lookin' good!

Herzig
09-05-2005, 10:48 AM

mmm mmm...what rub did you use this time?

Also, have you had to change your propane tank yet? Since we have the same smoker...I'm curious how long it will go..

Mr. Laz
09-05-2005, 11:03 AM
This is 6 hours in... :drool:
nice butt!!

Thig Lyfe
09-05-2005, 11:31 AM

Nice butt.

Thig Lyfe
09-05-2005, 11:31 AM
nice butt!!

I hate you. :banghead:

Mr. Laz
09-05-2005, 01:53 PM
I hate you. :banghead:
:D

i wuv uuuuuuu. :Poke:

Fire Me Boy!
09-05-2005, 02:04 PM
mmm mmm...what rub did you use this time?

Also, have you had to change your propane tank yet? Since we have the same smoker...I'm curious how long it will go..
Damn that was good. I didn't smoke long enough to get it to pulled pork -- my wife and I aren't big on sandwiches. So I got it where it was cooked through and pulled it off, about 9 hours total. The rub is a homemade rub with some sugar, cayenne, paprika, garlic, pepper, salt, and a few other things... spritzed with apple juice after about 6 hours. Between the juice and the sugar in the rub, there was a REALLY nice carmelized bark. VERY tasty.

As for time on a 20# tank of propane -- I can usually do about two briskets on one take, so you should get about 24 hours of smoking.

Damn... every time I do the beans I do something different and they get better! I'm not sure my beans can get much better.

cdcox
09-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Good to hear the butt turned out well, FMB. Pork but is really tastey even when you don't reach pull temperature.

My 10.5 lb brisket turned out fantastic, by far my best effort on this challenging cut of meat. Once it got to 172, I wrapped it in foil and continued cooking to 192. Then let it set for 30 min before carving. This was the first time I had used foil :thumb: It was on for 13 hours. The wife and daughter really liked the point section as it was leaner and had developed some nicely browned bark. It was cooked to perfection and fell apart parallel to the grain. The foil kept it from drying out as it finished cooking. The flat was extremely moist and flavorful, but it still had a fair amount of connective tissue, so next time I'll take it on up to 200.

I still have several pounds left and will be feasting over the next several days. :drool:

KCFANinNC
09-05-2005, 09:50 PM
After 4 hours of smoking I will wrap it in alum foil w/ AJ and it steams it enoght it can be pulled aver another 4 on 200.

I was told after 4 hours the pores of the meet close.

Yours looked great!