PDA

View Full Version : NFT - Carmax - Thoughts?

Dayze
09-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Been watching the 'market' (if that's what you call it) for a used car, etc. Went to Carmax for the first time today, and I have a few overall impressions. Also wanted to get comments/thoughts/suggestions from the 'Gallery' on this

While their facility was impressive (clean, wide open lot, well orgainzed by vehicle type, etc), I was a little troubled at their 'no haggle price'.
While I could see decent prices on some cars, overall I think the prices of their cars are quite a bit more expensive. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I paranoid? The fact that they won't negotiate a price is a little disappointing.

Do they do the same type of 'no haggle' thing on giving you an estimate on your trade-in?

Sorry if this is a repost - i searched previous threads and read through them, but didn't notice this topic discussed.

Darkwolfe
09-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Been watching the 'market' (if that's what you call it) for a used car, etc. Went to Carmax for the first time today, and I have a few overall impressions. Also wanted to get comments/thoughts/suggestions from the 'Gallery' on this

While their facility was impressive (clean, wide open lot, well orgainzed by vehicle type, etc), I was a little troubled at their 'no haggle price'.
While I could see decent prices on some cars, overall I think the prices of their cars are quite a bit more expensive. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I paranoid? The fact that they won't negotiate a price is a little disappointing.

Do they do the same type of 'no haggle' thing on giving you an estimate on your trade-in?

Sorry if this is a repost - i searched previous threads and read through them, but didn't notice this topic discussed.

They do the same thing on your trade-in. Hit the KBB.com site to figuer out what they'll offer you. If you just sell it to them, you get wholesale value of the vehicle as showin in KBB. Just hope they don't make any mistakes in getting you paid for the vehicle. I've seen them goof and it ain't pretty.

Quick way of unloading a car you don't want anymore.

tomahawk kid
09-05-2005, 02:46 PM
My wife and I bought are "new" used car from CarMax. Couldn't have asked for an easier experience.

Before you buy anything there, check the bluebook value. Depending on the model / make they DO inflate some car prices over and above what they are worth.

Also remember that again depending on the make / mode, bluebook value maybe rendered useless - especially w/ the saturation of the secondary market of SUV's and large trucks.

memyselfI
09-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Thought it was a ridiculous place when they would not allow us to take the car off the lot for an independent inspection. They insisted we BUY the car and use the 7 day return policy if there was a problem. :rolleyes:

We walked off ROFL .

Darkwolfe
09-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Thought it was a ridiculous place when they would not allow us to take the car off the lot for an independent inspection. They insisted we BUY the car and use the 7 day return policy if there was a problem. :rolleyes:

We walked off ROFL .

Probably a good move.

Though I did see a nice 02 Mustang out there for $8k. Had about 80k miles on it but was in good shape.... Nah, I want a new one.

Uatu
09-05-2005, 02:58 PM
I only went for a look there once and found their prices to generally be high. Seems like the classic case of paying an inordinate premium to make the process marginally less painful.

Uatu
09-05-2005, 03:03 PM

We walked off ROFL .

hah. I had a place do that to me once. If you won't let me take your car to be inspected you can F off.

Another time I was talking about a trade-in with a salesman at disCourtesy Chevrolet, and I sort of opened the discussion with "What can you offer for my trade?" at which point he was like "Well how much do you want?". I could never get him to say a number, it just went around in circles.

Few years later against my better judgement I went back there looking at a car. They had something that was to my liking and the price didn't seem TOO horrible. So I ask the salesman to show me some numbers, and he comes back with an interest rate that made me chuckle, since my credit is pretty good. So when I took issue with that he came back with a lower rate but had raised the selling price, which wasn't written on the paper. It just kept going like that, the price-interest-monthly payment shell game.

If I can help it I will never dealer finance again. I know for sure I will never buy from someone who insults my intelligence like thinking I'm going to fall for these kinds of tricks.

Dartgod
09-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Carmex rocks! I use it every time I get chapped lips.

http://211.78.161.52/gdpageimg/carmex%20big%20jar041029-02_400.jpg

Valiant
09-05-2005, 04:29 PM
My wife and I bought are "new" used car from CarMax. Couldn't have asked for an easier experience.

Before you buy anything there, check the bluebook value. Depending on the model / make they DO inflate some car prices over and above what they are worth.

Also remember that again depending on the make / mode, bluebook value maybe rendered useless - especially w/ the saturation of the secondary market of SUV's and large trucks.

What exactly a "new" used car??? Is that like "new" used underwear??

It is either used or its not, or do you mean you bought another used car???

Valiant
09-05-2005, 04:33 PM
hah. I had a place do that to me once. If you won't let me take your car to be inspected you can F off.

Another time I was talking about a trade-in with a salesman at disCourtesy Chevrolet, and I sort of opened the discussion with "What can you offer for my trade?" at which point he was like "Well how much do you want?". I could never get him to say a number, it just went around in circles.

Few years later against my better judgement I went back there looking at a car. They had something that was to my liking and the price didn't seem TOO horrible. So I ask the salesman to show me some numbers, and he comes back with an interest rate that made me chuckle, since my credit is pretty good. So when I took issue with that he came back with a lower rate but had raised the selling price, which wasn't written on the paper. It just kept going like that, the price-interest-monthly payment shell game.

If I can help it I will never dealer finance again. I know for sure I will never buy from someone who insults my intelligence like thinking I'm going to fall for these kinds of tricks.

We do that shit all the time in reverse, we get them to drop the price of the car all the way... Some outrageous intrest rate of 29% or something... Then pay it off in the first month...(Just have to make sure it is not a set interest like you are going to pay an extra 5k no matter what)forgot what that is called...

Demonpenz
09-05-2005, 04:34 PM
snopes.com/carmax

Brock
09-05-2005, 04:48 PM
If they sell cars, they're crooked. That's about all you need to know.

Skip Towne
09-05-2005, 04:58 PM
We do that shit all the time in reverse, we get them to drop the price of the car all the way... Some outrageous intrest rate of 29% or something... Then pay it off in the first month...(Just have to make sure it is not a set interest like you are going to pay an extra 5k no matter what)forgot what that is called...
I haven't financed anything in years but that no-matter-what interest was called add-on. As opposed to simple interest where you can pay it off early and save money on interest.