PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Protect Rookies: Puts 'em on the rostser

Mr. Kotter
09-05-2005, 11:57 PM
So, when Wellborne, Warfield, and Barber are added to the roster.....who's most vulnerable to be "cut?" Thoughts???

My guess: Svitek, Long, Parquet and Grigsby (Ingram or Stills--depending on ST contributions, at that point,) which means, Heyer, Ville, Golliday, and Smith/Gado may have limited time on the Practice Squad.

I'm pleasantly surprised Thorpe, McIntyre and Hodge cleared waivers to be signed to the PS.

Pretty smart of the F.O. to protect Svitek, Long, Parquet and Grigsby from waivers by putting 'em on the Roster to start. Other teams should be much less likely to make a move like that (grab a rookie from the waiver wire), a month into the season.... :hmmm:

Thoughts???

Mecca
09-06-2005, 12:06 AM
I think Grigsbys on the team for the year. I'd expect when guys start coming back for Svitek and Long to be the first 2 gone when Warfield and Welbourne are back. After that Barber won't be back till like week 10 so that could all change if someone is injured or not. I'd consider all 3 of the extra lineman vulnerable, Ingram may have a better shot of sticking since he's been with the team in camp the last few years.

Mr. Kotter
09-06-2005, 12:13 AM
I think Grigsbys on the team for the year. I'd expect when guys start coming back for Svitek and Long to be the first 2 gone when Warfield and Welbourne are back. After that Barber won't be back till like week 10 so that could all change if someone is injured or not. I'd consider all 3 of the extra lineman vulnerable, Ingram may have a better shot of sticking since he's been with the team in camp the last few years.

You could be right about Ingram, but he and Parquet will likely move to make room for Wellborne and either Barber. I think Solari is intending to continue his magic with Svitek. I'm not sure he'd wanna chance Svitek on waivers....but, of course, I said the same about Thorpe and Hodge. :hmmm:

tk13
09-06-2005, 12:17 AM
I think the lineman thing was obviously precipitated by losing Lilja last year to the Colts. I'm guessing they looked around the league and thought they might lose Svitek or Parquet by some team that could at least swipe them up and hide them as an 8th or 9th lineman. We might need those guys next year if Roaf/Shields both retire.

Washington would be the most logical guess when Warfield comes back. When Welbourn comes back, I'd guess Ingram? I have no idea. We can't carry 11 offensive linemen. That's over 20% of the roster. It's gotta be one of them.

Same thing with Barber. I can't imagine we'd carry 9 linebackers, we aren't the Patriots. If Barber comes back one of them has to go. I'd guess Scanlon or Griffin.

mcan
09-06-2005, 04:00 AM

If he's not ready by week eight, I believe he has to be placed on IR. We are allowed to activate him in week six, and have a two week evaluation period before we make a decision to end his season or not, IIRC.

Mecca
09-06-2005, 04:26 AM
I think Griffins safer than either Scanlon or Grigsby is right now.......

ROYC75
09-06-2005, 07:54 AM
I think the lineman thing was obviously precipitated by losing Lilja last year to the Colts. I'm guessing they looked around the league and thought they might lose Svitek or Parquet by some team that could at least swipe them up and hide them as an 8th or 9th lineman. We might need those guys next year if Roaf/Shields both retire.

Washington would be the most logical guess when Warfield comes back. When Welbourn comes back, I'd guess Ingram? I have no idea. We can't carry 11 offensive linemen. That's over 20% of the roster. It's gotta be one of them.

Same thing with Barber. I can't imagine we'd carry 9 linebackers, we aren't the Patriots. If Barber comes back one of them has to go. I'd guess Scanlon or Griffin.

You could be right, but I just don't see them cutting there # 2 MLB when the # 3 is not ready to play yet. ( according to Gretz, which claimed Boomer was possibly the last one to make the cut. )

It's a long season, anything can happen and all is possible.

Mr. Kotter
09-06-2005, 08:01 AM
I think Griffins safer than either Scanlon or Grigsby is right now.......

Yeah, I'd say Scanlon and Grigsby will be continuing their battle for a roster spot.....I can't see us keeping 3 MLBs on the active roster for the entire season.

NaptownChief
09-06-2005, 11:07 AM
I would hope that Huard is the first to go assuming Collins is healthy at the time. I would be a bit surprised if Barber isn't released with an injury settlement when he is due to come back. That would leave just one other player to be cut and by that time somebody will have probably been injured and thrown on IR.

alanm
09-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm suprised they let Golliday go this spring after he went to NFLE. Then he was claimed by the Cardinals and it sounded like he was going to make their roster and then we nab him back when the Cards waived him. With the nagging shit that ails Dunn and Tony we may end up needing him this season.

Mr. Kotter
09-06-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm suprised they let Golliday go this spring after he went to NFLE. Then he was claimed by the Cardinals and it sounded like he was going to make their roster and then we nab him back when the Cards waived him. With the nagging shit that ails Dunn and Tony we may end up needing him this season.

Wilson is also there, if an entirely different player though.

Mr. Kotter
09-06-2005, 11:20 AM
would hope that Huard is the first to go assuming Collins is healthy at the time. I would be a bit surprised if Barber isn't released with an injury settlement when he is due to come back. That would leave just one other player to be cut and by that time somebody will have probably been injured and thrown on IR.

I'm not a Huard fan, but what then? Resign Quinn or Killian, or look for a new #3 QB?

beavis
09-06-2005, 11:31 AM
So, when Wellborne, Warfield, and Barber are added to the roster.....who's most vulnerable to be "cut?" Thoughts???
I gots a feeling Barber isn't going to be playing any football this year.

Mr. Kotter
09-06-2005, 11:33 AM
I gots a feeling Barber isn't going to be playing any football this year.

That explains the LBs on the roster then.

Has anyone noticed: have they played Scanlon or Grigsby at OLB at all? :hmmm:

tiptap
09-06-2005, 11:41 AM
That explains the LBs on the roster then.

Has anyone noticed: have they played Scanlon or Grigsby at OLB at all? :hmmm:

Scanlon played some OLB. Did well according to Vermeil.

Chief Faithful
09-06-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm glad the team chose to protect Svitek and Long even if it meant risk of losing Thorpe or McIntyre. I'm not worried about how the roster will shake out in 4 weeks because so many things happen from week to week that force roster changes.

Svitek and Long seem to have tremendous upside, which would be sorry to lose the way they lost Lilja last year.

Mr. Kotter
09-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Scanlon played some OLB. Did well according to Vermeil.

Then that's probably a part of this equation. :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
09-06-2005, 12:07 PM
...Svitek and Long seem to have tremendous upside, which would be sorry to lose the way they lost Lilja last year.

To their credit, it seems they learned that lesson. Better late, than never.