PDA

View Full Version : New power rankings at ESPN Chiefs #...

Dave Lane
09-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Chiefs are #13? Yeah thats seems right :rolleyes:

Dave

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2005&week=1

Dave Lane
09-06-2005, 07:09 AM
2005 Power Rankings: Week 1
RK (LW) TEAM REC COMMENT
1 (1) Patriots 14-2-0 The Patriots are really going to miss Tedy Bruschi. He often is cited as the Pats' leader on defense, which is true. But what sometimes gets lost in that description is that he's also one of the best LBs in the NFL.
2 (3) Colts 12-4-0 It's unclear how quickly he'll be able to contribute, but Corey Simon could end up being a huge addition. As good as the Colts are on offense, they only need to get a little better on D to make a huge impact.
3 (2) Eagles 13-3-0 It's been a tumultuous offseason for the Eagles, but they still have to be considered the favorites in the NFC.
4 (4) Vikings 8-8-0 Daunte Culpepper is a stud, but it's still legitimate to wonder how big an impact Randy Moss' departure will have on him.
5 (5) Steelers 15-1-0 The Steelers and QB Ben Roethlisberger have struggled some on offense in the preseason. While it's just the preseason, some folks in Pittsburgh are starting to get a little edgy.
6 (6) Falcons 11-5-0 Opening against the Eagles on Monday night in prime time is great and all, but Falcons have lost 14 of their past 16 games on MNF.
7 (8) Chargers 12-4-0 The Chargers are a bit of a mystery, and most of it centers around Drew Brees. Is he the QB who threw 27 TDs and just seven INTs last season, or is he the guy the Chargers were ready to send packing before last year's campaign.
8 (7) Ravens 9-7-0 The Ravens have given Kyle Boller some weapons to work with (signing WR Derrick Mason, drafting WR Mark Clayton and naming Jim Fassel offensive coordinator). Now he needs to perform.
9 (9) Jets 10-6-0 The Jets need Chad Pennington at the top of his game if they're going to make a run at the Patriots this year.
10 (10) Panthers 7-9-0 The Panthers want to be a running team, but that doesn't mean you should overlook Jake Delhomme. Check out his numbers from last year: 3,886 yards and 29 TDs. That's pretty good.
11 (15) Broncos 10-6-0 Mike Shanahan doesn't care if fantasy owners don't know who is going to get the bulk of the yards rushing, He just cares if the Broncos are in the top 5 in rushing at the end of the season.
12 (21) Rams 8-8-0 Want a fantasy player to watch this year? Try Rams wide receiver Kevin Curtis. He had 25 catches in the second half last season and 11 more in two playoff games.
13 (11) Chiefs 7-9-0 Fantasy players who have Priest Holmes have to be getting a little nervous (even those who have Larry Johnson, too). Johnson won't get as many carries as Holmes, but it's pretty clear he is going to get some of them, even when Holmes is healthy.
14 (19) Bills 9-7-0 J.P. Losman has the talent, but there is going to be a lot of pressure on him to get the Bills off to a good start.
15 (13) Seahawks 9-7-0 Last year the Seahawks were the trendy pick to make a Super Bowl run. Maybe flying under the radar a little bit heading into this year will suit them better?
16 (14) Jaguars 9-7-0 The Jaguars need Reggie Williams to step up in his second season and be a legitimate No. 2 receiver.
17 (18) Packers 10-6-0 He might be getting a little gray around the temples, but you can pretty much pencil Brett Favre in for 30 TDs and 3,600 yards.
18 (16) Bengals 8-8-0 With Carson Palmer, Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, the Bengals should be a fun team to watch on offense. Now, if you could just say the same about the defense.
19 (12) Cowboys 6-10-0 The caveat (and isn't it true for everyone in the NFL?) is that he has to stay healthy, but Julius Jones sure looks like a fantasy stud in the making.
20 (20) Saints 8-8-0 It's hard to talk about football with the Saints. All we can really say is that our thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the Gulf Coast, and please help them out in any way you can.
21 (22) Cardinals 6-10-0 The Cardinals are a popular pick to make a big jump forward. But that's not going to happen unless Kurt Warner is better than the guy we've seen over the past three seasons.
22 (24) Texans 7-9-0 Entering their fourth year, it's time for the Texans and David Carr to make a serious playoff run.
23 (23) Raiders 5-11-0 The defense needs to be better for the Raiders to be a playoff threat, but one things is certain -- the offense will be fun to watch. And isn't that's how it's supposed to be with the Raiders?
24 (17) Lions 6-10-0 Jeff Garcia's injury probably takes some pressure off Joey Harrington, but the fourth-year QB still has to perform.
25 (25) Giants 6-10-0 In Peyton Manning's second season, his QB rating jumped from 71.2 to 90.7. Can Eli make a similar improvement for the Giants? If so, they could make a surprise playoff run in the weak NFC.
26 (29) Redskins 6-10-0 The defense should be good again, but Joe Gibbs has to find a way to get more out of the offense, and that starts with the QB position.
27 (30) Titans 5-11-0 The schedule makers didn't do a young team any favors with a brutal opening stretch: at Pittsburgh, vs. Baltimore, at St. Louis, vs. Indy, at Houston.
28 (27) Buccaneers 5-11-0 Watch Cadillac Williams. The rookie is going to get the opportunity to do a lot of things in Jon Gruden's offense.
29 (26) Bears 5-11-0 This isn't necessarily a consensus opinion among our panel, but with a good defense and solid running game, the Bears might not be in as bad shape as people thought when Rex Grossman got hurt.
30 (28) Dolphins 4-12-0 So Gus Frerotte beat out A.J. Feeley. We're not exactly sure how Dolphins fans should feel about that.
31 (31) Browns 4-12-0 Romeo Crennel will make the Browns better. But the talent is just not there to expect much more than the four wins the Browns had in 2004.
32 (32) 49ers 2-14-0 Starting Tim Rattay is smart if Alex Smith isn't ready. But as soon as Smith is, it makes sense for the 49ers to get him on the field.

RedDread
09-06-2005, 07:11 AM
We'll move up to the top 10 with a schelacking of the Jets in week 1.

Dartgod
09-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Just where exactly should they rank a 7-9 team from last season?

Personally, I think power rankings are stupid. This isn't college football, afterall.

Brock
09-06-2005, 07:37 AM

Personally, I think power rankings are stupid. This isn't college football, afterall.

I agree. This team is a complete mystery.

Dave Lane
09-06-2005, 07:40 AM

Well we were #11 last week...

Dave

~not unhappy just surprised there is no love

Den9899
09-06-2005, 07:45 AM
You were 7-9 last year, and although you have made some key acquisitions, no regular season games have been played and you managed a donut in the win column this preseason.

But I'm sure you have legitimate reasons to bitch....

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Chiefs are #13? Yeah thats seems right :rolleyes:

Dave

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2005&week=1

I don't want to be a jerk, and I do think when all is said and done, you guys will have had a good year and be higher than #13 to be sure, BUT you WERE 7-9 last year, and your defense has been close-your-eyes awful for 3+ years now. I don't think a "show me the money" position from the national pundits is unreasonable.

Again, here's hoping to a Pats-Chiefs AFC Championship Game, but for now...

edit: I see I'm not alone in this line of thought. :)

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-06-2005, 07:49 AM

That's what I was thinking... that was a higher ranking than I expected.

morphius
09-06-2005, 07:55 AM
I see three or four teams above us that I would a bit iffy to be above us. But really, I don't expect any love after the way our D looked last few years until they prove something outside of preseason.

ChiTown
09-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Well we were #11 last week...

Dave

~not unhappy just surprised there is no love

Surprised? Why? It's not like the rankings are compiled by a bunch of dingdongs from ChiefsPlanet.......

After what I saw this preseason, and what we did last year, I'm surpirsed we're currently in the top half. That said, these rankings are about as meaningful and insightful as my football analysis.
:)

Warrior5
09-06-2005, 07:59 AM
I don't want to be a jerk, and I do think when all is said and done, you guys will have had a good year and be higher than #13 to be sure, BUT you WERE 7-9 last year, and your defense has been close-your-eyes awful for 3+ years now. I don't think a "show me the money" position from the national pundits is unreasonable.

You're not being a jerk at all...I agree that power rankings at this point are a waste of time, but since everyone does it, I'd put the Chiefs in the 11-13 spot myself.
Think about it...sure the Chiefs upgraded the D, but: 7-9 last year, aging O, injuries throughout pre-season, Bell played a few series last pre-season game, Green just had surgery, possible discipline issues evidenced by law violations, Warfield suspended for first 4 games, Welborne suspended for first 4 games, etc...what are the national pundits supposed to go by?

My only question on this ranking is why the Donx and Falcos are rated so high? But I really don't care; it's all good, and hopefully the Chiefs' play will result in folks saying, "Keep %^&*! doubting the ^%$#@* Chiefs!"

BTW, Chiefs-Pats AFC Championship game would be awesome...

RedThat
09-06-2005, 08:01 AM

Again, here's hoping to a Pats-Chiefs AFC Championship Game, but for now...

edit: I see I'm not alone in this line of thought. :)

Good point

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 08:04 AM
My only question on this ranking is why the Donx and Falcos are rated so high? But I really don't care; it's all good, and hopefully the Chiefs' play will result in folks saying, "Keep %^&*! doubting the ^%$#@* Chiefs!"

BTW, Chiefs-Pats AFC Championship game would be awesome...

I don't know why, but IMHO the Broncos are CONSTANTLY overrated and overloved by the national media. I'm not entirely sure why, but they always seem to get the hype. Maybe it's the Shanarat = Mastermind thing, even though everyone also says "but he hasn't won a playoff game since Elway retired, but let's rank them #5..." or whatever. :shake:

Pats-Chiefs would be great. Don't think these two original AFL teams have ever met in the playoffs...

CosmicPal
09-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Screw them. The only ranking that really matters is the one at the END of the season.

tiptap
09-06-2005, 09:11 AM
I don't know why, but IMHO the Broncos are CONSTANTLY overrated and overloved by the national media. I'm not entirely sure why, but they always seem to get the hype. Maybe it's the Shanarat = Mastermind thing, even though everyone also says "but he hasn't won a playoff game since Elway retired, but let's rank them #5..." or whatever. :shake:

Pats-Chiefs would be great. Don't think these two original AFL teams have ever met in the playoffs...

Take care of the Raiders and we will take care of the Jets and we'll start the ball rolling in the right directions. Soooo as a fellow AFC-east teamer, just how much a setback will the Jets running game see with their replacements on the offensive line? I am thinking that a lot of our game will depend on whose RT isn't the goat.

beavis
09-06-2005, 09:20 AM

I feel the same way about Oakland. They've had one good year in the last ten, but yet every year the national media feels the need to stroke their dong. I suppose one day they'll get it right.

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 09:43 AM

13 looks about right to me

if we knock the dogsnot outa the jets, AND our defense looks strong in the win, we will jump up to the top 5 in a heartbeat.

Lzen
09-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Rams, Broncos, and Ravens should not be ahead of the Chiefs, IMO. And the Vikings are definitely rated too high.

RedDread
09-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Rams, Broncos, and Ravens should not be ahead of the Chiefs, IMO. And the Vikings are definitely rated too high.

Viks probably are, but it's not too much of a stretch to see them winning the NFC, either.

Rain Man
09-06-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm a bit surprised that Tampa is rated that low, and I'm definitely surprised that Buffalo is rated that high. They're starting a brand new QB, for crying out loud.

Manila-Chief
09-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Screw them. The only ranking that really matters is the one at the END of the season.

What he said!!!

Yes, the power rankings will be more accurate after a couple or 3 games but the real ranking will be known in early Feb.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-06-2005, 10:00 AM
If the Colts are #2, we should be #3. They mirror us in every way imaginable, and this year we'll have a better defense.

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Take care of the Raiders and we will take care of the Jets and we'll start the ball rolling in the right directions. Soooo as a fellow AFC-east teamer, just how much a setback will the Jets running game see with their replacements on the offensive line? I am thinking that a lot of our game will depend on whose RT isn't the goat.

I hadn't even thought of the favor we could do each other.

I think the Jets are going to be solid, but not great, this year. I don't see them getting a wildcard. I've got them in the 9-7 or at best 10-6 range, but in the almighty AFC, that doesn't cut it.

Mawae is great, but a year older, and ditto for Martin. You gotta figure those two have to start slowing down at some point. Martin loves the inside runs, especially with Mawae. They're shouldn't be a huge threat running to the perimeter.

Penny can be very, very good -- highly accurate, good decision maker, etc., but if his arm strength isn't back, look out. One key will be cna he throw a 15-20 yeard out or incut with authority. If not, he and the Jets are likely to be in for a long year.

I'm MOST interested to see what they do with Hermdinger (sp?). I thought the Titans had a very good team and solid offense while he was there, although they were more known for their tenacious defense.

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm a bit surprised that Tampa is rated that low, and I'm definitely surprised that Buffalo is rated that high. They're starting a brand new QB, for crying out loud.

Top 2 in both defense and special teams last year, and having Moulds, MaGahee and, err, that other young WR they have, goes A LONG way. It's really all about whether their OLine improves and if Losman can get the job done.

MAJOR portions of the "pieces" are in place. If the last couple fall into place, they could be a very major threat (see Roethlisberger, Ben, for an example of what happens if the right QB falls into an already strong system).

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 10:15 AM
I feel the same way about Oakland. They've had one good year in the last ten, but yet every year the national media feels the need to stroke their dong. I suppose one day they'll get it right.

I think with the Raiders it's like the Yankees in baseball. Even when they suck they get tons of attention because they're popular nationwide (God knows why, but they're always at or near the top selling their gear, etc.).

Mr. Laz
09-06-2005, 10:15 AM
If the Colts are #2, we should be #3. They mirror us in every way imaginable, and this year we'll have a better defense.
if that's true then why did they go 12-4 and to playoffs last year and we went 7-9 and were eliminated in week 12?

Rain Man
09-06-2005, 10:18 AM
if that's true then why did they go 12-4 and to playoffs last year and we went 7-9 and were eliminated in week 12?

The refs didn't call illegal procedures against them?

Amnorix
09-06-2005, 10:19 AM

"In every way" except that they've won an average of like 12 games every year for the last 3-4 years, and you guys haven't. In short, their offense has overcome a porous defense (for whatever reason), at least until the playoffs come, and yours hasn't. In part that's because although I think your "O" is as good as theirs, your defense has been worse.

But, anyway, they've piled up lots o' wins over the last few years, and you haven't, so that's the difference in the pundits' eyes, until your boys prove otherwise.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-06-2005, 10:27 AM
"In every way" except that they've won an average of like 12 games every year for the last 3-4 years, and you guys haven't. In short, their offense has overcome a porous defense (for whatever reason), at least until the playoffs come, and yours hasn't. In part that's because although I think your "O" is as good as theirs, your defense has been worse.

But, anyway, they've piled up lots o' wins over the last few years, and you haven't, so that's the difference in the pundits' eyes, until your boys prove otherwise.

I would say their offense is more consistent than ours. If their defense is better than ours, it's only by like a centimeter.

Rain Man
09-06-2005, 10:29 AM

Details, details. Wins are just a number.

(Closing eyes) Wins are just a number...wins are just a number...