PDA

View Full Version : New Rufus: Chiefs fans, prepare for the worst

shaneo69
09-06-2005, 11:29 AM
I guess they don't even put his articles on the front page anymore. I had to look in the "columnist" section to find it. I hadn't seen anything from Dawes in awhile, and I thought they may have permanently replaced him with Eileen Weir. I guess not. Anyway, here goes...

DAWES: HERE WE GO AGAIN
Sep 05, 2005, 7:29:15 AM by Rufus Dawes - FAQ

There is sort of an unspoken feeling now, underlying the entire debate on the state of the Chiefs as they face the opening of another season, that if you believe that the results of the pre-season games, you stress the bad news, and if you dismiss those games as only warm-ups, you stress the good. I do not find myself on either side of this false dichotomy. But I think that those who generally support the team should confront the possibility of another average season or, perish the thought, a losing season, and what it would mean to the franchise.

Granted, it is a situation defined more by the nature of public opinion, which one might think is so obviously and palpably fluid that all the stored up hope following the last off-season player acquisitions can be dismissed as quickly as one or two lousy pre-season games.

It never seemed to me, as one who has spent much of the last few years focused on the Chiefs, that the pre-season decides much of anything except who will make the team or who will not. But hidden underneath the surface are tell-tale signs that all may not be well, that the wide receivers may not be fast enough, that the defense may still be confused, that all the free agents in the world are not going to help this bunch soon enough, and soon is what the public expects.

So this column is about public expectation and the idea of a team trying to meet them when a harder course might be the better route in the end.

The records set by the offense over the last three seasons have been entertaining sidelights and coupled with a stifling defense that we came to expect from the team in the decade of the 90s, the Chiefs can boast of being one of the area’s most exciting entertainment options over the past 15 years no matter what the outcome of games.

But as late as the closing days of the last decade, the team was showing the effects of wear and tear and a complete makeover was never far from anyone’s imagination. Nothing approaching that took place as club officials bound up the team’s aging vets, sprinkled in a couple more, and battled on, convinced, no doubt, that they owed the paying public their best efforts to win and win now. Noble, but perhaps self-defeating, for as bad as the team looked at times then, and as heartened as we may have been in 2003 with a 13-3 regular season record, it is nothing to what it will become if people continue to talk of Super Bowls as if they’re readily achievable. All this talk of Super Bowls has been our downfall, come to think about it. What we need now and have needed for some time is a playoff win. One playoff win is what we should be talking about and if it’s more that you want you’re acting patently foolish.

While it is true that a team owes its fan-base the best possible chance for victory every weekend, does there comes a time when it makes more sense in the long-run to start the process over again no matter what it might mean in wins and losses?

Will the fans wait around until it comes to pass? The true ones will and the others will fall to the wayside. It’s the cyclic nature of sport franchises and their followers. In the meantime, the club must pull all available resources together, reorganize its staff, stay true to a plan, and rebuild in a way the ultimately successful teams like New England and Tennessee do. The Titans are a team built successfully through the draft and find themselves having to do again.

Could the old guys and the old ways have had their day?

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Prodigiously well-researched, informative and opinionated, Rufus Dawes examines media coverage of the Chifs occasionally throughout the year.

teedubya
09-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah, Go ONE playoff win! woo hoo.

One Playoff Win or BUST!!!

jidar
09-06-2005, 11:36 AM
He's right but it's pretty damned obvious.

You gotta win in the playoffs first to get to the big game.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-06-2005, 11:39 AM
No matter what, I want DV gone after this year. 5 years is enough.

BigMeatballDave
09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
No matter what, I want DV gone after this year. 5 years is enough.What difference does it make? We're still stuck with Peterson...

jidar
09-06-2005, 11:47 AM
This thread already has a shortage of cheese.

Chiefnj
09-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Chief fans think the team is a lot different than the Bengals, Browns and Cards; teams where a playoff victory would probably be considered a good season. In reality, it's been a long time since the Chiefs had any post-season success, so shooting for a single victory isn't out of hand.

jspchief
09-06-2005, 11:50 AM
If Rufus really is Carl, I don't like the sound of this.

kcfanintitanhell
09-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Will the fans wait around until it comes to pass? The true ones will and the others will fall to the wayside.

One can take this question two ways. My dad, a lifelong Chief fan, decided not to wait around till it came to pass. He died after waiting for 30+ years.
Just makes me wonder how many wil "fall to the wayside" in that manner waiting for the Chiefs to get to the Big One.....

Halfcan
09-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I thought they canned Rufus finally. I got to the blah, blah, blah, part and then couldn't finish. Usually I only get to the blah, blah, before he pisses me off or bores me with his arrogant attitude. Still can't read that stupid biatch Weir though. She should sick to tea parties.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-06-2005, 11:54 AM
What difference does it make? We're still stuck with Peterson...

Great point. :(

jAZ
09-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Carl is managing expecatations lower... seems to be the PR tactic of choice the last 5 years.

Chiefnj
09-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Great point. :(

I thought CP was back on the good side of fans. Weren't people happy when DV was signed? Weren't people thrilled when Gunther came back as DC? Didn't CP just enjoy the best free agent and draft period of his career (Surtain, Bell, DJ, Hall, Knight, etc?).

Fickle crowd.

Area 51
09-06-2005, 11:59 AM
No matter what, I want DV gone after this year. 5 years is enough.

The season hasn't started and you want to dump the HC?

Just in case you haven't been paying attention, DV has brought the Chiefs up to a level of Offense that is the top in the league. Defense is coming around. Since the development of the offense just about every game has been exciting. When the game is over, even though we lost plenty last year, the fan is totally wasted from emotion. Just think what it could be with a defense!!

I'd guess that you just don't like DV, but you have to concede that he can get an offense to produce.

jidar
09-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Well damn, I don't know why we don't just hire one of the tons of extra Belichicks laying around. I mean DV is good but why stick with good when you can have legendary?
I guess we're just hobbling ourselves so it will be more sporting, same as 30 other NFL teams.

jidar
09-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Fickle crowd.

Fickle wasn't the word I was thinking of.

BigRedChief
09-06-2005, 12:35 PM
I thought CP was back on the good side of fans. Weren't people happy when DV was signed? Weren't people thrilled when Gunther came back as DC? Didn't CP just enjoy the best free agent and draft period of his career (Surtain, Bell, DJ, Hall, Knight, etc?).

Fickle crowd.

uh, just because I don't post a king carl must go thread daily doesn't mean my opinion has changed.

He gets credit for LJ but we still should have went with defense with that pick.

DJ fell to them. That was a no brainer.

He still can't draft worth a crap and I don't like the arrogance from my team that comes out of one arrowhead drive. You have to have columinsts to refute media reports and take on Twitlock? You need to be above that.

Area 51
09-06-2005, 12:40 PM
uh, just because I don't post a king carl must go thread daily doesn't mean my opinion has changed.

He gets credit for LJ but we still should have went with defense with that pick.

DJ fell to them. That was a no brainer.

He still can't draft worth a crap and I don't like the arrogance from my team that comes out of one arrowhead drive. You have to have columinsts to refute media reports and take on Twitlock? You need to be above that.

I thought this was a Chiefs fan board?

ck_IN
09-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Interesting article. I'm not sure how to take the lowering of expectations before the season even starts. Especially after all the money spent on free agents and the drafting of football gawd DJ.

I'm holding to my line: If the team doesn't appear in the SB then it's a wasted season and DV needs to take a walk. Preferably with CP by his side.

jspchief
09-06-2005, 12:45 PM

Just in case you haven't been paying attention, DV has brought the Chiefs up to a level of Offense that is the top in the league. Defense is coming around. Since the development of the offense just about every game has been exciting. When the game is over, even though we lost plenty last year, the fan is totally wasted from emotion. Just think what it could be with a defense!!

I'd guess that you just don't like DV, but you have to concede that he can get an offense to produce.In case you haven't noticed, so far Vermeil is just an offensive version of Marty Schottenheimer, with less post-season success and a worse W/L percentage.

gblowfish
09-06-2005, 12:49 PM
I speak fluent Rufus. In order to decipher his meglo-maniacal ramblings, you have to read between the lines:

Sep 05, 2005, 7:29:15 AM by Rufus Dawes -(as explained by George Blowfish)

There is sort of an unspoken feeling now, underlying the entire debate on the state of the Chiefs as they face the opening of another season, that if you believe that the results of the pre-season games, you stress the bad news, and if you dismiss those games as only warm-ups, you really stress over paying regular season prices to watch two glorified practices. I do not find myself on either side of this false dichotomy (from the Greek dichotomia, from dichotomos: a division or the process of dividing into two especially mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities.) But I think that those who generally support the team should confront the possibility of another mediocre season or, perish the thought, a losing season, and what it would mean to the franchise. Those who more than generally support the team better grab a shovel. It's about to get deep.

Granted, it is a situation defined more by the nature of public opinion, which one might think is so obviously and palpably fluid that all the stored up hope following the last off-season player acquisitions can be dismissed as quickly as one or two lousy pre-season games. In other words, Kendrell Bell may be the second coming of Carlton Gray.

It never seemed to me, as one who has spent much of the last few years as official apologist for the Chiefs, that the pre-season decides much of anything except who will make the team or (in past years) who will sleep with Greg Robinson on the road. But hidden underneath the surface are tell-tale signs that all may not be well, that the wide receivers may not be good enough, that the defense may not be smart enough, and doggone it, that all the free agents in the world are not going to make people like us.

So this column is about public expectation and the idea of a team trying to meet them while losing like choking pussies ...just like last year. If you think the Chiefs are all about winning, think again. There's bigger fish to fry.

The records set by the offense over the last three seasons have been an entertaining sidelight. Too bad we can't time travel and couple this offense with the stifling defense that we came to expect from the team in the decade of the 90s. The Chiefs can boast of being one of the area’s most exciting entertainment options over the past 12 years that have never won a playoff game. As you all know, Mr. Hunt just wants a full stadium, no matter what the outcome of games. Not only a full stadium, but most importantly, a new stadium.

As late as the closing days of the last decade, the team was showing the effects of wear and tear and a complete makeover was never far from anyone’s imagination. Nothing approaching that took place as club officials bound up the team’s aging vets with duct tape, executed a couple more, and battled on with guys like William Bartee, convinced, no doubt, that they owed the paying public their allegedly best effort to win, or whatever. Incredibly naive, for as bad as the team looked at times then, and as heartened as we may have been in 2003 with a 13-3 regular season record, Greg Robinson's scheme hung around the team like a concrete overcoat. Incredibly, our fans continue to talk of Super Bowls as if they’re readily achievable. All this talk of Super Bowls has been our downfall, come to think about it. Fans are missing the big picture. What we need now and have needed for some time is a new stadium. With luxury boxes for our corporate elite. Screw the Super Bowl. Stadium improvements is what we should be talking about and if it’s more that you can handle, you’re acting patently foolish. God I hate the unwashed Joe Lunchbox public.

While it is true that a team owes its fan-base the appearance that we actually care about winning every weekend, does there comes a time when it makes more sense in the long-run to cut the crap and promote the stadium improvement ballot over again no matter what it might mean in wins and losses? Damn straight.

Will the fans wait around until a new stadium comes to pass? The rich ones will pony up their PSL's and join the Stadium Club. The poor ones will fall to the wayside. It’s the cyclic nature of sport franchises and their sheep like followers. In the meantime, the club must pull all available resources together, reorganize its staff, bribe key officials, stay true to a plan, and rebuild Arrowhead in a way the ultimately successful teams like New England and Tennessee have. The Titans have a stadium built successfully through selling naming rights to a criminally fraudulent corporation. They were smart enough to get the money up front. How's "Westar Field at Arrowhead Stadium" grab you?

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Weird article.

jidar1
09-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Man that was hilarious! Do you do stand-up? Because you know, you should. No really! I mean, you could be in movies.

vailpass
09-06-2005, 02:02 PM
I thought this was a Chiefs fan board?

Please consult your Planet Lexicon guide for definition(s) of "fan".

siberian khatru
09-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Whatever the intent of this piece, I have to admit that I don't have a good feeling about this team. And it's not really because of the preseason -- I discount a lot of the exhibition game stuff.

I was already lowering my expectations before Rufus told me to. I hope I'm wrong, but I got a nasty 7-9 feeling gnawing at me.

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 03:42 PM
I guess they don't even put his articles on the front page anymore. I had to look in the "columnist" section to find it. I hadn't seen anything from Dawes in awhile, and I thought they may have permanently replaced him with Eileen Weir. I guess not. Anyway, here goes...

Sep 05, 2005, 7:29:15 AM by Rufus Dawes - FAQ

There is sort of an unspoken feeling now, underlying the entire debate on the state of the Chiefs as they face the opening of another season, that if you believe that the results of the pre-season games, you stress the bad news, and if you dismiss those games as only warm-ups, you stress the good. I do not find myself on either side of this false dichotomy. But I think that those who generally support the team should confront the possibility of another average season or, perish the thought, a losing season, and what it would mean to the franchise.

Dang, Dufus has resorted to issue disaster warnings... :eek:

Logical
09-06-2005, 04:51 PM
I thought our disaster warning system had failed. But it is good to see Dawes is there to prop it up and lower expectation for the front office.

I will make my annual pilgrimage to Arrowhead for the Redskins game but this may be the last year. Hell I already have been declared not a real fan by Peterson so why continue the charade.

whoman69
09-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Neg rep to Rufus for the stupidest article ever. We need to lower expectations or the Chiefs are going to let us down again. Screw that. What is it that every coach tells his players once the season starts? "We are here to win the Super Bowl." That's what the goal is for the team, that's what the goal should be for the fans. We will always be disappointed with less, but that level of disappointment depends on that end result.

go bo
09-06-2005, 06:11 PM
I thought our disaster warning system had failed. But it is good to see Dawes is there to prop it up and lower expectation for the front office.

I will make my annual pilgrimage to Arrowhead for the Redskins game but this may be the last year. Hell I already have been declared not a real fan by Peterson so why continue the charade.why continue the charade?

so we can see you once a year, that's why...

and 37 forever needs your support, not just your money...

and you are totally stuck with being a chiefs fan, so cut the crap... :p :p :p

Thig Lyfe
09-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Has anybody ever noticed that "Rufus" rhymes with "Doofus"?

NaptownChief
09-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Whatever the intent of this piece, I have to admit that I don't have a good feeling about this team. And it's not really because of the preseason -- I discount a lot of the exhibition game stuff.

I was already lowering my expectations before Rufus told me to. I hope I'm wrong, but I got a nasty 7-9 feeling gnawing at me.

I don't feel too good about it either. We had 3 major holes coming into this season IMHO and that was CB, D Line and WR...We addressed CB and did absolutely nothing to address D Line and WR. I expect the offense to be very good, maybe not as good as it has been the last couple years but very good nonetheless but I think we will struggle to stop the run with that unit we call our starting DE's and DT's. It will be the downfall of the team in a division that runs the ball extremely well. There has never been a team in the Super Bowl that I can remember that wasn't at least middle of the pack against the run....and damn few teams that win a playoff game that is near the bottom of the league against it.

Hoping for the best but not blown away by our chances.

gblowfish
09-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Dang, Dufus has resorted to issue disaster warnings... :eek:Introducing....
THE OFFICIAL RUFUS DAWES DISASTER ADVISORY SYSTEM!

Thig Lyfe
09-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Introducing....

:LOL:

whoman69
09-06-2005, 06:52 PM
I don't feel too good about it either. We had 3 major holes coming into this season IMHO and that was CB, D Line and WR...We addressed CB and did absolutely nothing to address D Line and WR. I expect the offense to be very good, maybe not as good as it has been the last couple years but very good nonetheless but I think we will struggle to stop the run with that unit we call our starting DE's and DT's. It will be the downfall of the team in a division that runs the ball extremely well. There has never been a team in the Super Bowl that I can remember that wasn't at least middle of the pack against the run....and damn few teams that win a playoff game that is near the bottom of the league against it.

Hoping for the best but not blown away by our chances.
You forgot the linebacker corps which was fixed as well. Taking Morton out of the equation IMO makes our WRs better, but great receivers are not needed with this offense since we spread the ball around so effectively. Another year with Gunther will show results for the dline and their ability to stop the run. They could be better, but you can only change so much. 5 new starters on D was about as much as we could hope for.

tk13
09-06-2005, 07:00 PM

I think this team is clearly a better collection of talent than last year. Will they be a better football team? That's what we're going to find out.

NaptownChief
09-06-2005, 07:02 PM
You forgot the linebacker corps which was fixed as well.

That is true....However with Fox, Mitchell and DJ I would have rather seen the Bell money spent on the D Line but if healthy Bell should really be a nice spark plug.

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 07:22 PM
That is true....However with Fox, Mitchell and DJ I would have rather seen the Bell money spent on the D Line but if healthy Bell should really be a nice spark plug.Back when we signed Bell, I doubt any of us expected that we'd draft DJ, that Mitchell and Fox would both look good and that we'd grab an undrafted free agent in Griffin good enough to start a preseason game as well as make the final 53. Back then all we had was Fujita and his ankle injury and Mitchell, and I think just about everyone saw LB as a huge need. I remember, even after signing Bell, a lot of people questioning whether we had enough bodies to even line up at LB.

Not that another quality lineman wouldn't be nice, with Siavii and Browning out so often, and the ends looking like crap against the pass.

NaptownChief
09-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Back when we signed Bell, I doubt any of us expected that we'd draft DJ, that Mitchell and Fox would both look good and that we'd grab an undrafted free agent in Griffin good enough to start a preseason game as well as make the final 53. Back then all we had was Fujita and his ankle injury and Mitchell, and I think just about everyone saw LB as a huge need. I remember, even after signing Bell, a lot of people questioning whether we had enough bodies to even line up at LB.

Not that another quality lineman wouldn't be nice, with Siavii and Browning out so often, and the ends looking like crap against the pass.

I agree with all of that and LB was a need I just didn't think it was as huge a need as the DLine...Going with Fujita, Fox and Mitchell would not have been ideal but as bad as that would have been I think it would have been a lesser weakness than our current starting DLine even with the lower expectations for Mitchell that most had prior to camp.

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 07:34 PM
I think the starting d-line may be fine, but it's as hard to judge how they'll play as it is with anybody else based on the vanilla games.

Nothing we can do about it anyway, at this point, except wait and see. I think Sims and Dalton will have a strong year in the middle, but I worry about depth. The ends seem strong against the run, but we need to find a way to get pressure in addition to blitzing. Some of that will come from Sims, I think, but we need something from the ends. 9 or 10 sacks from one position (or both) could be the difference between an improved, but average, defense, and a good one. But I didn't see anyone capable of that in the preseason.

memyselfI
09-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Introducing....

That is BRILLIANT!!!! Kudos to you. :clap: ROFL :thumb: :D

I'd give you rep if I could.

shaneo69
09-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Man that was hilarious! Do you do stand-up? Because you know, you should. No really! I mean, you could be in movies.

http://www.georgeblowfish.com/chiefsmain.html

Valiant
09-06-2005, 08:31 PM

Fickle crowd.

I think it more has to do with his track record for the last 16years, we have won a whole 3 games in the playoffs, and lost 8... Its nice he decided to address the weakness of our Defense, but he should have done a little work last year also...

I am glad the work he has done this year, but the bottom line is we have not even won a AFC championship yet under him... All of our division rivals have all done it in the last ten years...

Archie F. Swin
09-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Funny...I've never even uttered the words 'Super bowl' in 2005, and here's the reason why:

Lawrence Tynes

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 10:53 PM
This isn't martyball. The damned kicker shouldn't be deciding games. No more of that conservative play not to lose bullshit. If we didn't learn that lesson in the 90s, maybe seeing it yet again in SD last year will finally pound it home.

Although, to be honest, I'm comfortable with Tynes if it does come to that.

But he won't be the difference anyway. The defense will. If they're in the upper third of the league, we'll go a long way.

Logical
09-06-2005, 11:11 PM
This isn't martyball. The damned kicker shouldn't be deciding games. No more of that conservative play not to lose bullshit. If we didn't learn that lesson in the 90s, maybe seeing it yet again in SD last year will finally pound it home.

Although, to be honest, I'm comfortable with Tynes if it does come to that.

But he won't be the difference anyway. The defense will. If they're in the upper third of the league, we'll go a long way.Honestly you are absolutely right and this is one of my biggest criticisms of DV, it is why Martz made a good counterbalance to him. DV is too conservative (going with traditionalist percentages) and Martz is too likely to take a risk. Together they struck a good balance.

alanm
09-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Will the fans wait around until it comes to pass? The true ones will and the others will fall to the wayside.

One can take this question two ways. My dad, a lifelong Chief fan, decided not to wait around till it came to pass. He died after waiting for 30+ years.
Just makes me wonder how many wil "fall to the wayside" in that manner waiting for the Chiefs to get to the Big One.....
I certainly ain't getting any younger. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Simplex3
09-07-2005, 01:20 AM
This season rides on whether or not the old guys on D bow to the new guys. If the old guys cop an attitude and don't respect that the new guys can kick their ass then this season is over before it begins. If not, the Chiefs should be fine.

They'll still probably get booted in the playoffs by a more complete team, though. It's tough to run three or four top teams out of the stadium three or four weeks in a row. We'll see.

htismaqe
09-07-2005, 05:26 AM
You know what I find funny?

That shane not only spent time to dig through the site to find this, but readily admits he did.

If Rufus is SO irrelevant, why do you spend time searching for his articles and posting them here to critique?

Oh, yeah, because you have to have something to bitch about.

The Bad Guy
09-07-2005, 05:36 AM

I'd guess that you just don't like DV, but you have to concede that he can get an offense to produce.
4 years and ONE winning season is what I don't like.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, he has a great offense and the "defense is coming around.." It's too bad he wasted 4 years of great offense while he made excuses for the garbage players he had on defense.

Sorry, I don't share in your rah-rah about wasting emotion. I want to see a winning product and just because we lose in heartbreak fashion or a high scoring affair, doesn't give me butterflies.

I guess being winless since 1993 in the playoffs will take some of the emotion out.

Brock
09-07-2005, 06:44 AM

Yadda, yadda, yadda, he has a great offense and the "defense is coming around.." It's too bad he wasted 4 years of great offense while he made excuses for the garbage players he had on defense.

Sorry, I don't share in your rah-rah about wasting emotion. I want to see a winning product and just because we lose in heartbreak fashion or a high scoring affair, doesn't give me butterflies.

I guess being winless since 1993 in the playoffs will take some of the emotion out.

Yeah - I had high hopes for Vermeil, but after this season, I want him to leave no matter how the team finishes. I'm tired of his bullcrap, which makes Marty Schottenheimer look like an honest man.

|Zach|
09-07-2005, 06:49 AM
You know what I find funny?

That shane not only spent time to dig through the site to find this, but readily admits he did.

If Rufus is SO irrelevant, why do you spend time searching for his articles and posting them here to critique?

Oh, yeah, because you have to have something to bitch about.
Indeed. its the only thing he pokes his head out for these days. Amazing,

htismaqe
09-07-2005, 07:20 AM
Yeah - I had high hopes for Vermeil, but after this season, I want him to leave no matter how the team finishes. I'm tired of his bullcrap, which makes Marty Schottenheimer look like an honest man.

That's where I'm at too.

htismaqe
09-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Indeed. its the only thing he pokes his head out for these days. Amazing,

The irony is what kills.

Rufus is well on his was to "completely irrelevant".

The people that hate him so much as the ONLY people reading his articles. They're single-handedly keeping his career alive.

They're mirror images of Dawes himself.

King_Chief_Fan
09-07-2005, 08:29 AM

Vermeil has outlived his usefulness to the Chiefs organization.
He has taken them to a certain point, and that point is somewhat less than what we had hoped for, but, still we are plateaued with Dicky.

He needs to go on his way now.

Chiefnj
09-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Dawes is a godsend compared to Weir.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-07-2005, 10:59 AM

Glad to see I'm not the only one that is tired of a professional fantasy football team in KC. I want to see a team that has balance in all phases of the game. O, D, ST. DV hasn't brought that to us. When he talks about defense in his interviews, he sounds like my Grandpa when he talks about football...he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Chiefnj
09-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Useless trivia to cheer people up:

Q: How many of KC's 14 draft picks from years 2001 and 2002 are still on the team?

A: 1.(Sims).

shaneo69
09-07-2005, 11:23 AM
The irony is what kills.

Rufus is well on his was to "completely irrelevant".

The people that hate him so much as the ONLY people reading his articles. They're single-handedly keeping his career alive.

They're mirror images of Dawes himself.

You're an idiot. As I mentioned in the threadstarter, I hadn't seen a Rufus article in awhile and thought he had been shitcanned in favor of Weir. I went to the columnist section to see when his last article was, and found this nugget of an article.

I don't hate Rufus. I find him hilarious. And I particularly enjoy reading Blowfish's interpretations of the articles. For being such a Rufus hater yourself, it's funny how you always manage to show up in the threads.

And Zach, I've been around every day, but you probably wouldn't notice since you don't post in the football-related threads.

Otter
09-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here with some pre-season predictions:

Record: 9-7
Playoffs: either miss a wild card or lose the first round
Aftermath: Vermeil blames the sun being too high or low in the horizon, and the warm breeze from the southwest for make the players sleepy.

The peasents uprise, Peterson vows that in year 16 (or will it be 17) that things will change. The peasents rejoice. Peterson retains job as the longest GM in NFL history.

Rinse and repeat. Maybe he can convince Joe Montana to come out of retirment for 2006.

Brock
09-07-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here with some pre-season predictions:

Record: 9-7
Playoffs: either miss a wild card or lose the first round
Aftermath: Vermeil blames the sun being too high or low in the horizon, and the warm breeze from the southwest for make the players sleepy.

The peasents uprise, Peterson vows that in year 16 (or will it be 17) that things will change. The peasents rejoice. Peterson retains job as the longest GM in NFL history.

Rinse and repeat. Maybe he can convince Joe Montana to come out of retirment for 2006.

Pretty lofty hopes, I see.

htismaqe
09-07-2005, 11:41 AM
You're an idiot. As I mentioned in the threadstarter, I hadn't seen a Rufus article in awhile and thought he had been shitcanned in favor of Weir. I went to the columnist section to see when his last article was, and found this nugget of an article.

I don't hate Rufus. I find him hilarious. And I particularly enjoy reading Blowfish's interpretations of the articles. For being such a Rufus hater yourself, it's funny how you always manage to show up in the threads.

And Zach, I've been around every day, but you probably wouldn't notice since you don't post in the football-related threads.

I'm an idiot? I didn't spend time SEARCHING for a Rufus Dawes article.

ROFL

I show up on these threads because I'm hoping that some day you'll wake up and start ignoring Rufus like the rest of the fan base. If and only if that happens will we finally be rid of him for good.

ROYC75
09-07-2005, 11:45 AM
The next question please ...........

Just who is Rufus ? :rolleyes:

Otter
09-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Pretty lofty hopes, I see.

Peterson is still running the show. Sixteen years is a pretty good sample pool for prediction.

I love to them, follow them closely but I don't expect much anymore. I'd love to be surprised though.

htismaqe
09-07-2005, 11:55 AM
The next question please ...........

Just who is Rufus ? :rolleyes:

The better question is "Who cares?"