PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here write resume's? I need help...

WilliamTheIrish
09-06-2005, 10:25 PM
... I just had a great opportunity fall into my lap. Never in a million years did I think I'd get the call I got today. It could mean mucho jack.

Anyway, I went looking for my resume that I hadn't updated in 5 years, which I kept on a disk.

Hid it so well I can't the fugger.

Oh well, it was a shiot resume to begin with. I want this one to be really good.

Should I buy one of those high dollar ones?

Phuck!!! I can't even get started I'm so wigged out over this opportunity.

Any help? Ideas? I'm open to all (ok almost) any suggestions.

stevieray
09-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Congrats and good luck.

Coach
09-06-2005, 10:28 PM
WTI,

You can pretty much come up with a good resume on just using microsoft word.

If you want an good idea on what mine looks like, you're more than welcome to PM me, and I'll be glad to show you mine, to give you some ideas.

Edited: Congrats and good luck.

CosmicPal
09-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Just don't make any mistakes. That's all I can say. If you're already set up for an interview, the resume' is nothing. Your interview process is your ticket to the job.

That doesn't mean they won't look at your resume' for they will. And the first thing they will look at is if you have any errors. Should you have a misspelling- good luck getting the job.

If they like the interview, and you have a clean resume' - you're in.

Simplex3
09-06-2005, 10:31 PM
If you have 10+years of experience, highlight that and ignore (mostly) the schooling. If you're a noob then your school may be all you have, highlight that.

When you're craking out your "previous experience" section be sure you highlight everything you've done that will matter to this company and a few things that don't.

Quality references will go a mile. Make sure to list some co-workers, some bosses, and some customers if applicable.

And good luck.

WilliamTheIrish
09-06-2005, 10:32 PM
WTI,

You can pretty much come up with a good resume on just using microsoft word.

If you want an good idea on what mine looks like, you're more than welcome to PM me, and I'll be glad to show you mine, to give you some ideas.

Edited: Congrats and good luck.

Noted.

WilliamTheIrish
09-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Just don't make any mistakes. That's all I can say. If you're already set up for an interview, the resume' is nothing. Your interview process is your ticket to the job.

That doesn't mean they won't look at your resume' for they will. And the first thing they will look at is if you have any errors. Should you have a misspelling- good luck getting the job.

If they like the interview, and you have a clean resume' - you're in.

I have an interview on Friday. Talked to them on the phone just a few hours ago. Caught me completely off guard. Gah!

Not having that disk is causing me some anxiety.

keg in kc
09-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Resume?

Whazzat?

Congrats and good luck.

wasi
09-06-2005, 10:41 PM
This career center has pretty useful info an a few templates. Also, tips on writing cover letters.

http://www.firefly.ryerson.ca/careercentre/students/tools/FT_Resume_Writing.cfm

good luck.

Logical
09-07-2005, 02:07 AM

If they like the interview, and you have a clean resume' - you're in.I am guessing you don't work in a technical field. I would be totally amazed if an engineer ever submitted a typo or mistake free resume, let alone a grammatically correct one. Not that a person should not strive to have a mistake free resume but I think it depends on the field type as to what is important.

Experience is the highest priority.
Stability of employment is always important
Recognition/awards by your employer is a real plus
If you have decent experience deemphasize your education (not eliminate) unless you were Magna/Summa Cum laude or some other such distinguishing educational achievement
Being concise is important, you can lose interest if the resume is a treatise.

Personally I would keep the reference section separate from the resume, preferably as part of your cover letter. The best resumes I have seen all were done in a single page.

Best of Luck WTI

Brock
09-07-2005, 07:18 AM
Keep it to one page. You should be able to fill one page of BS, and the resume isn't going to be important anyway. The interview is the thing.

teedubya
09-07-2005, 07:22 AM
WilliamtheIrish... I would figure that great KState education of yours would have given you the ability to write a decent resume. Guess not. :shrug:

heh

:KU:

jspchief
09-07-2005, 07:24 AM
If it's really that big of an opportunity, hire a professional.

cdcox
09-07-2005, 07:34 AM
For each position you have heald since college, bullet 2 or 3 accomplishments using action words to describe your experience: directed, accomplished, developed, lead, etc. State your contributions in the best possible light, but do not embelish them. When they talk to your references, you don't want any conflicts to arise. That is the kiss of death.

Congrats and good luck.

NewChief
09-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Personally, I wouldn't use the MS Word templates. Actually, they're not a bad place to start, but I'd change the look of them up a little. You want your resume to stand out, not blend into the crowd. As someone who used to do some hiring, I got so sick of seeing the same resume in the same old MS Word template.

Iowanian
09-07-2005, 07:52 AM
I haven't updated mine in 2-3 years, but if you want to see a copy, just for ideas of what you don't want yours to look like....drop me a pm with your email.

Write it in Word....use good paper. If they called you, they're already interested. Spell and grammar check the hell out of it.

Skip Towne
09-07-2005, 08:21 AM
I hope you get that job and they make you move to Lawrence.

Skip Towne
09-07-2005, 08:22 AM
No....wait...I hope they make you move to Columbia.

Kclee
09-07-2005, 12:02 PM
So what's the job? You're in Radiology, right?

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-07-2005, 12:32 PM
I've had mine worked on by a professional. If you want to look at it and steal the formatting, you can find it at

http://www.student.gsu.edu/~rwharton2/

Click on the FAQ link at the bottom and you'll find a link to the resume on the next page.

WilliamTheIrish
09-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks all, I really appreciate the help.

go bo
09-07-2005, 12:57 PM
and good luck with the new job, man...

but don't forget to wig in before you start it... :p :p :p

Dartgod
09-07-2005, 01:30 PM
An interview tip for you. When they ask you if you have any questions for them, be sure to ask about internet access; restrictions, acceptable use, etc. Mention the Chiefsplanet specifically. If they have a problem with it, you don't want to work for them anyway.

Halfcan
09-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Lie your azz off on your resume but don't get caught, that is the key.

If you were a janitor put Senior VP of Custodial Enginering. If you were a cash clerk at taco bell-put Operations Manager of Customer Service. Ditch Digger-put Chief Financial Officer of Land Excevations.

When you interview act like you don't give a shit if you get the job or not. If they try to bum rush you and speed interview you to see how you handle pressure, make them repeat the questions and take your time. Try and get them sidetracked into talking about anything but the job. Ask them if they like working there, the more they talk about their own boring life the more they won't be on your azz. Laugh at their stupid jokes, compliment in an indirect way so you don't look like an azz kisser but a company man. When they ask for any questions-close the deal and say when would you like me to start-I will need to give my current company two weeks notice if we can come to the right financial compensation package.

Most have personality test now too. Key to them is lie your azz off. Ever done drugs or drank before age 21-NO Ever engage in premarital sex-No
Ever shoplift or had a friend shoplift-NO
But be careful, there are pitfalls to catch you lying like. Ever speed-YES ever record a song off the radio or copy a vhs tape of a movie-YES ever told told a lie to protect someones feelings-YES Do you Masterbate-YES OFTEN-lol

I have gotten every job I had an interview for. The key is to look like a company man that won't cause problems or go on disability after two weeks-but also come off as a fun person that is laid back and will add a new face and personality into their boring little work group. I just got hired, and only two people got the job out of 200 interviews. If you a cool guy be yourself, if your a d#ck hide it until its too late and they hire you. Then you can make them regret they didn't check your references closer-haha Good Luck!!

Dartgod
09-07-2005, 02:03 PM
if your a d#ck hide it until its too late and they hire you. Then you can make them regret they didn't check your references closer-haha Good Luck!!
Like he said, it's always worked for him...

PastorMikH
09-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Make sure you put your phone # on it.

In my early years of seeking out church positions, I actually forgot to put my telephone # on both my resume and cover letter. :banghead:

Halfcan
09-07-2005, 02:14 PM
lol, exactly dartgod. They usually find out the hard way when I keep a cooler full of beer under my desk, take three hour lunch breaks, use all my paid vacation and sick time the first month, sexually harass every women in the place, make copies of my azz on the copy machine and don't wipe the butt print off the glass when I am done. Take home staplers, office supplies, office furniture and computers, take a dump in the bottom desk drawer of the office snitch, then have a slip and fall on my own pop spill in the break room and milk it for as long as posible until they finally cough up a cash settlement to my attorny to free themselves from the ten phone calls a day I make to the president of the company complaining about how bad I was treated. Then it is off to the next job.

nolimitpk
09-07-2005, 02:20 PM
I had a resume built for me for $180. Its really good. I have had 100% hire rate with it. PM me if you want the guys name that does them.

Skip Towne
09-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Lie your azz off on your resume but don't get caught, that is the key.

If you were a janitor put Senior VP of Custodial Enginering. If you were a cash clerk at taco bell-put Operations Manager of Customer Service. Ditch Digger-put Chief Financial Officer of Land Excevations.

When you interview act like you don't give a shit if you get the job or not. If they try to bum rush you and speed interview you to see how you handle pressure, make them repeat the questions and take your time. Try and get them sidetracked into talking about anything but the job. Ask them if they like working there, the more they talk about their own boring life the more they won't be on your azz. Laugh at their stupid jokes, compliment in an indirect way so you don't look like an azz kisser but a company man. When they ask for any questions-close the deal and say when would you like me to start-I will need to give my current company two weeks notice if we can come to the right financial compensation package.

Most have personality test now too. Key to them is lie your azz off. Ever done drugs or drank before age 21-NO Ever engage in premarital sex-No
Ever shoplift or had a friend shoplift-NO
But be careful, there are pitfalls to catch you lying like. Ever speed-YES ever record a song off the radio or copy a vhs tape of a movie-YES ever told told a lie to protect someones feelings-YES Do you Masterbate-YES OFTEN-lol

I have gotten every job I had an interview for. The key is to look like a company man that won't cause problems or go on disability after two weeks-but also come off as a fun person that is laid back and will add a new face and personality into their boring little work group. I just got hired, and only two people got the job out of 200 interviews. If you a cool guy be yourself, if your a d#ck hide it until its too late and they hire you. Then you can make them regret they didn't check your references closer-haha Good Luck!!
You don't say what you do. I'm guessing you're the Sr. VP of custodial engineering.

Halfcan
09-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Sales

Kclee
09-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Sales

You sell custodial supplies?

Skip Towne
09-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Sales
Burgers and fries?

Duck Dog
09-07-2005, 02:47 PM
If you do your resume on your own, use bullet comment format. You will lose the reader if you make them read in paragraph form.

Your cover letter is as important if not more than your resume. Here is where you want to highlight your qualifications you think are most pertinent to the job. This will be in paragraph form and should contain the following information.

Your introduction should andswer the recipient's first question. "Why are you writing me"? Your reason for approaching the company should be specific. Try to mention something about the company and yourself that is common.

The main section answers the question, "What do you have to offer"? Tell them what you can do for this company. Make this part accomplishment oriented to show what you have done. Be careful not to repeat language or quotes directly from your resume.

Your closing paragraph should encourage communications between the company and yourself. ex. "I look forward to discussing this opportunity further and would be happy to meet with you at your earliest convenience."

Good luck.

Halfcan
09-07-2005, 02:47 PM
No Real Estate Agent.

But before that I had a lot of shitty jobs when I was young. I think the worst was when I was 16, I got a job in the place that made the butter for state aid services. I had to load these 30 lb blocks of butter into a machine. After about ten minutes I lost my hairnet and a glove, and at the end of the day my long mullet was caked with butter. I smelled like butter for three days, and still don't use butter much.