PDA

View Full Version : need some auto assistance

NJ Chief Fan
09-07-2005, 07:16 PM
my mom has a 2001 grand cherekee limited(v6),i tried starting it and it wouldnt start, finally i get it started and im driving down the road and the trucks engine shuts off, just like if it ran out of gas,but the thing is it has gas, does any body have an idea as to what the problem is and how much something like this is going to cost to repair?

HemiEd
09-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Not enough information for any kind of diagnosis. What did it do when it quit, what did it sound like etc? :hmmm:

BigVE
09-07-2005, 07:45 PM
First guess: fuel pump. Price: depends.
2nd guess: you thought the cheap gas was too good to pass up so you filled it full of DIESEL. Price: priceless! ;)

morphius
09-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I'd check the battery as well, but I really don't know crap. Just know a few people that have had cars where the radio and everything would work fine, but the battery didn't have enough juice to start it, and if they did get it to start it died while running.

Iowanian
09-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Fuel Pump or Brain box are my initial guesses......

Did the lights go dim and then it died? Could be the alternator I suppose...

Saulbadguy
09-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Alternator.

HemiEd
09-07-2005, 07:57 PM
It is not the alternator or battery or it would not have started. It has to be the computor and related electronics and possibly fuel delivery, consequently back to my original question: what did it sound like right before it quit?

NJ Chief Fan
09-07-2005, 07:57 PM
its def not the battery...just put a new one in not even 4 months ago...it didnt make any noise it was running fine, in fact i just changed the oil, the only thing that happend was that it shut off like when you run out of gas

NJ Chief Fan
09-07-2005, 07:59 PM
i changed the oil after the first time it didnt start, changed it ran fine got bout a block away and it turned off like it ran out of gas

Lbedrock1
09-07-2005, 08:00 PM
my mom has a 2001 grand cherekee limited(v6),i tried starting it and it wouldnt start, finally i get it started and im driving down the road and the trucks engine shuts off, just like if it ran out of gas,but the thing is it has gas, does any body have an idea as to what the problem is and how much something like this is going to cost to repair?
Mechanc once told me that it takes two things to make a engine run Spark and fuel. If car stop running those are the two things you check first. Make sure it's not the wires and plugs then check the fuel.

HemiEd
09-07-2005, 08:02 PM
i changed the oil after the first time it didnt start, changed it ran fine got bout a block away and it turned off like it ran out of gas

Sounds like the computer is getting some bad information from something like the throttle position sensor. It would be worth it to take it to a shop that can plug a diagnostic system to it. Should not cost much, and would be well worth elimination of the guessing.

Lbedrock1
09-07-2005, 08:03 PM
When was the last time it had a tune up. I willing to bet it is the rotor button and the spark plug wires.

NJ Chief Fan
09-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Sounds like the computer is getting some bad information from something like the throttle position sensor. It would be worth it to take it to a shop that can plug a diagnostic system to it. Should not cost much, and would be well worth elimination of the guessing.
yea im not goin to mess around with it any more feel bad for my mom though her cars just sittin on the side of the road and now her friend has to drive her to work tomorrow morning...i think were just gonna get it towed...luckily theres a mechanic not even a block away

thanks for the help guys...its got to be something with the fuel, somethings clogged or something well have to wait n see tomorrow

Iowanian
09-07-2005, 09:08 PM
I'll bet its the a cracked muffler belt and low blinker fluid.

HemiEd
09-08-2005, 05:44 AM
yea im not goin to mess around with it any more feel bad for my mom though her cars just sittin on the side of the road and now her friend has to drive her to work tomorrow morning...i think were just gonna get it towed...luckily theres a mechanic not even a block away

thanks for the help guys...its got to be something with the fuel, somethings clogged or something well have to wait n see tomorrow

Ok, I slept on it, or slept it off more correctly. This has worked for me many times in this situation.
Disconnect the battery for about five minutes, both posts. This eliminates any potential to the computer. It will reset itself and remove all codes. If it was a false code that was set, you should be good to go. If it is a real problem, you may be able to get it home.

Braincase
09-08-2005, 05:49 AM
Clogged fuel filter?

Bwana
09-08-2005, 05:53 AM
Is it getting fuel? Does it have spark?

Skip Towne
09-08-2005, 06:03 AM
My van has 340,000 miles on it and it has quit me several times. The one thing I have learned is it is never the computer. All mechanics try to blame this but it just never is it. My van quit just as you described once and it was the fuel pump. Take the fuel line loose at the filter and turn on the key (assuming it has an electric fuel pump) fuel should come gushing out. If it doesn't, look from that point back to the fuel pump.

HemiEd
09-08-2005, 06:05 AM
My van has 340,000 miles on it and it has quit me several times. The one thing I have learned is it is never the computer. All mechanics try to blame this but it just never is it. My van quit just as you described once and it was the fuel pump. Take the fuel line loose at the filter and turn on the key (assuming it has an electric fuel pump) fuel should come gushing out. If it doesn't, look from that point back to the fuel pump.

They did not have computers in them back in the 60s.

CrazyHorse
09-08-2005, 06:08 AM
Could be one of any number of things. 1st thing to check/replace is the fuel filter. While doing that, see if the fuel pump works. Unfortunately it sounds like the fuel pump. If the pump is in the tank it's about 350= to fix it.

I recommend taking it to the doc to have them run diagnostics on it, because again it can be any number of things. Today cars aren't like the old ones where you can generally "chase down" problems. It can get very expensive replacing parts that dont fix the problem.

But if you are hell bent on fixing it yourself, check the fuel system 1st.

Good luck.

PastorMikH
09-08-2005, 06:17 AM
Fuel Pump. Can't check the filter 'cause it's part of the fuel pump that is in the gas tank. Had this problem with my Dakota - 2000 MILES OUT OF WARRANTY:banghead:. Learned quite a bit through that ordeal. Dodge fuel pumps used to have a lot of problems - not sure if they still do or not. Dodge's computers are programed so that when the fuel pressure drops below a certain level, the computer shuts the motor down. Stupid feature. When my fuel pump died, it was just a few pounds of pressure below minimum and could have maintained fuel flow to get me home, instead THE COMPUTER SHUTS THE MOTOR DOWN AND I HAVE TO WALK 5 MILES HOME AT MIDNIGHT!:banghead:

I had a guy in the church that owned a shop get me the fuel pump at his cost and only charged me what he payed the mechanic for labor (instead of his regular hourly rate) and it still cost me a bit over $200. Though, with his discount on the fuel pump, the savings over what I would have had to pay, pretty much paid for the installation.

If it were me, I'd look into having the Jeep replaced.

Skip Towne
09-08-2005, 06:21 AM
Very good advice right there.

njbill
09-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Fuel pump or cam/crank sensor.

njbill
09-08-2005, 07:21 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=46474&stc=1

That's pretty funny ROFL

Dartgod
09-08-2005, 07:38 AM
Mechanc once told me that it takes two things to make a engine run Spark and fuel.
Psssst....

Tell your mechanic that there's a little thing called oxygen that's pretty important too.

COchief
09-08-2005, 07:52 AM
well it appears its a Jeep thing, so we wouldn't understand

HemiEd
09-08-2005, 08:33 AM

Probably get a pretty good deal on a Toyota, they are really heavy duty and high quality.
http://www.wtvynews4.com/news/headlines/1822902.html

Toyota Recall
AP

Toyota is recalling 978,000 sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks because of concern about the power steering system.

The affected vehicles include 4-Runner SUV's, compact pickups and T-100 pickups built between 1989 and 1998.

Toyota says a rod linking the steering wheel and the wheels may fracture under conditions where the steering wheel is turned while the vehicle is stopped.

The automaker plans to notify owners beginning next week

Biohazard
09-08-2005, 09:34 AM
I've seen in the past where there was a buildup of rust, sand, dirt, ect... in the bottom of the tank. The screen(sock) on the bottom of the fuel pump sucks itself full and thus shuts off fuel flow! Thats why you can drive it down the road a ways and it acts like it runs out of fuel. More than likely its fuel related and the tank will have to be dropped. Suckass job!!!

Lzen
09-08-2005, 11:03 AM
The problem is simple. It's a Mopar. Get rid of it. :p

kepp
09-08-2005, 11:15 AM

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2001&make=Jeep&model=Grand%20Cherokee&trimid=-1&src=VIP&tab=6&sub=-1

"Periodic problems on this vehicle are failures of the Cooling Fan Relay and the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor, 4.0L engine only. Failure of the CMP Sensor will prevent the vehicle from starting. The cost to repair the Cooling Fan Relay is estimated at $65.00 for parts and $104.00 for labor. The cost to repair the CMP Sensor is estimated at $57.10 for parts and $52.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax."

Could be...

KC Kings
09-08-2005, 11:55 AM

Could possibly be a dead short somewhere in the electrical system. My Dad has an old Ford that we all use as a work truck, and it will do the same thing. Sometimes it won't start at all. Other times it will run great until it gets hot then will quit on you. He swears that he has got mad and slammed the hood a few and after he slammed the hood it started right up.

When it quits running and you turn the key, does it turn over but never fire, or do you get no response at all?

NJ Chief Fan
09-09-2005, 08:20 AM
heres the deal, yesterday morning after sitting on some random street over night, it started the first time my father tried starting it, we get it to the mechanic, the mechanic checks everything says everything is fine, the trucks fuel pump pressure is fine, in fact they said they drove it around all day, we pick it up, take it home, 15 minutes later im on my way to walmart, get a couple miles away from my house, guess what? SHIT TURNED OFF ON ME AGAIN, so it stayed over night in a parking lot, my parents are tryin to get it back to the mechanic as im typing this...what a bunch of shit, my mom had to miss a day of work today, she couldnt take my car because today my sister is getting her license, its been a crappy couple of weeks for myself and they are saying if it is the fuel pump it is goin to cost $825, and hemi ed i tried doing what you told me by unplugging the battery and then puttin it back, and it didnt work, but thanks for the advice any way

PastorMikH
09-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Yep, that's the way my Dakota acted when it needed a fuel pump. After walking home, then towing it home behind our Nissan Sentra, the next morning it started and ran fine. Pressures looked fine too. However, it started acting up again and we put the presure gauge on while it was acting up and the pump presure readings were a fair bit different.

It's really thoughtful of the Chrysler corporation to not put an access point somewhere to get to the fuel pump so you don't have to drop the gas tank.

Radar Chief
09-09-2005, 09:42 AM
First off, you sure it’s a V-6 and not a 4.0L I-6?
If it’s not the V-8 in an ’01 then it’s probably the 4.0L I-6, since those were the engine options.
It sounds more to me like your moms coil pack is going bad. I’ve seen this on several CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) equipped engines in cars and motorcycles.
When cool they provide enough spark to run the engine, but after saturated with heat they’ll begin failing.
Here’s what I’d suggest.
Take a spark plug socket, ratchet, extension and a pair of insulated pliers for a drive with you. As soon as the engine quits on you, pop the hood and check for spark. Do this by removing one of the spark plugs, put it back into the spark plug wire boot and hold the plug up against the engine block, to ground it, with an insulated pair of pliers while you have someone turn the engine over for you. You should see a spark jumping the gap in the spark plug.
If you don’t, that’s your problem, weak coil(s).
If you do, move on to the next one. I believe her coil pack will consist of three coils with each running a pair of spark plugs, but I’m not positive on that Jeep 4.0. There might be one single coil pack with six spark plug wires coming out of it or individual coils for each cylinder.
Good luck. :thumb:

Lbedrock, your close but it’s three things, Fuel, Spark and Compression, since without compression the fuel won’t be sparked. ;)

Radar Chief
09-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Psssst....

Tell your mechanic that there's a little thing called oxygen that's pretty important too.

Indeed, that’s where compression comes in.
If you’ve got compression, you’re get’n air. ;)

gblowfish
09-09-2005, 10:08 AM
I've seen in the past where there was a buildup of rust, sand, dirt, ect... in the bottom of the tank. The screen(sock) on the bottom of the fuel pump sucks itself full and thus shuts off fuel flow! Thats why you can drive it down the road a ways and it acts like it runs out of fuel. More than likely its fuel related and the tank will have to be dropped. Suckass job!!!
I was thinking this too. If there is debris in the fuel tank, it can get pulled up against the fuel intake as you drive. The gas flow gets cut off, car stalls, debris floats away free, car re-starts, debris gets sucked back to the intake, problem happens again. It's got to be a fuel pump or fuel line related problem. Good luck.

stumppy
09-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in.
A couple questions first.
1. Does the Check Engine light stay on while you are driving ?
(Or did it stay on after the first DIE/RESTART/DRIVES OK episode ?)

2. Does it run ok the rest of the time? ie. runs smooth,starts right up, no engine miss at all.

3. Will it die within a few minutes of start up or do you have to drive it awhile before it dies ?

If the Check Engine light stays on that means there is a fault code stored in the computer. And if it's one related to the dieing problem thats great.
By the way, did you unhook the battery before or after you took it to the mechanic ? If you unhooked it before that could explain why the mech couldn't find anything. You erased it.

I wouldn't listen to that Hemied guy. He acts like he knows about cars but from what I hear about all he can do is wax them. The guys at the shop let him sweep up and sometimes he gets to put a new coat of wax on one of their cars. But thats about it.:D:p

If the coil pack is breaking down or just about any of the sensors are messing up it should store a code for that particular problem.
If you aren't getting a Ck Eng. light then you are probably looking at fuel or elec. short problem. Which will have to be acting up while the Mech. is present and has a fuel pressure gauge and diagnostic computer hooked up before he'll be able to acurately diagnose it.

My first guess would be a fuel pump, then maybe the fuel pressure regulator, then an elec. short. in the ignition system.

Good luck.

Radar Chief
09-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in.
A couple questions first.
1. Does the Check Engine light stay on while you are driving ?
(Or did it stay on after the first DIE/RESTART/DRIVES OK episode ?)

2. Does it run ok the rest of the time? ie. runs smooth,starts right up, no engine miss at all.

3. Will it die within a few minutes of start up or do you have to drive it awhile before it dies ?

If the Check Engine light stays on that means there is a fault code stored in the computer. And if it's one related to the dieing problem thats great.
By the way, did you unhook the battery before or after you took it to the mechanic ? If you unhooked it before that could explain why the mech couldn't find anything. You erased it.

I wouldn't listen to that Hemied guy. He acts like he knows about cars but from what I hear about all he can do is wax them. The guys at the shop let him sweep up and sometimes he gets to put a new coat of wax on one of their cars. But thats about it.:D:p

If the coil pack is breaking down or just about any of the sensors are messing up it should store a code for that particular problem.
If you aren't getting a Ck Eng. light then you are probably looking at fuel or elec. short problem. Which will have to be acting up while the Mech. is present and has a fuel pressure gauge and diagnostic computer hooked up before he'll be able to acurately diagnose it.

My first guess would be a fuel pump, then maybe the fuel pressure regulator, then an elec. short. in the ignition system.

Good luck.

Not necessarily, I’ve seen a few go bad with no other indication than the engine wouldn’t start when warm.
Let it sit and cool of, engine starts right back up.
Not say’n this is exactly what the problem is, but I’ve seen it before with these exact symptoms.

stumppy
09-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Not necessarily, I’ve seen a few go bad with no other indication than the engine wouldn’t start when warm.
Let it sit and cool of, engine starts right back up.
Not say’n this is exactly what the problem is, but I’ve seen it before with these exact symptoms.

Oh I know, just trying to give him the basics. Usually if a coil pack is messing up you'll get at least one engine cylinder missfire code though.USUALLY.

Radar Chief
09-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Oh I know, just trying to give him the basics. Usually if a coil pack is messing up you'll get at least one engine cylinder missfire code though.USUALLY.

Oh, I’ll take your word for it.
And I by no means claim to be an expert, or even a mechanic. I’m just a hobbyist gear head, and shade tree tinker.
I was only speaking from experience, mainly with Jap four cylinders. I’d certainly defer to more knowledgeable judgment.

stumppy
09-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Oh, I’ll take your word for it.
And I by no means claim to be an expert, or even a mechanic. I’m just a hobbyist gear head, and shade tree tinker.
I was only speaking from experience, mainly with Jap four cylinders. I’d certainly defer to more knowledgeable judgment.

Uh....er.......wanna buy a watch ?:D

HemiEd
09-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Yep, that's the way my Dakota acted when it needed a fuel pump. After walking home, then towing it home behind our Nissan Sentra, the next morning it started and ran fine. Pressures looked fine too. However, it started acting up again and we put the presure gauge on while it was acting up and the pump presure readings were a fair bit different.

It's really thoughtful of the Chrysler corporation to not put an access point somewhere to get to the fuel pump so you don't have to drop the gas tank.

Most cars with EFI have the pump in the tank. It seems to be more efficient to push the fuel instead of sucking it to attain the high fuel pressure needed for EFI.

NJ Chief Fan
09-09-2005, 01:29 PM
just got it back from the shop AGAIN, my moms out right now with it and she hasnt called to pick her up yet, they put a new fuel filter on...guess that might have been the problem

HemiEd
09-09-2005, 02:02 PM
just got it back from the shop AGAIN, my moms out right now with it and she hasnt called to pick her up yet, they put a new fuel filter on...guess that might have been the problem

Hope it works out to be the solution, good luck. :thumb:

PastorMikH
09-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Most cars with EFI have the pump in the tank. It seems to be more efficient to push the fuel instead of sucking it to attain the high fuel pressure needed for EFI.

Most of the Nissan cars have a plate under the back seat that can be removed to access the point in the gas tank where the fuel pump is located. Makes replacing the fuel pump A LOT easier.

HemiEd
09-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Most of the Nissan cars have a plate under the back seat that can be removed to access the point in the gas tank where the fuel pump is located. Makes replacing the fuel pump A LOT easier.

My Dodge Daytona did as well, this may be the difference between the cars and trucks, maybe. Most of the SUV and PU tanks are a different configuration I guess.

PastorMikH
09-09-2005, 04:58 PM
My Dodge Daytona did as well, this may be the difference between the cars and trucks, maybe. Most of the SUV and PU tanks are a different configuration I guess.

I had made up my mind that if I still had my Dakota when the fuel pump went out again (probably around 60k) I was going to make an access point in the bed of the pickup like the old datsun pickup I used to own had.

I would think that a Jeep would have had an access point from the inside - my Toyota Landcruiser even has one.

HemiEd
09-09-2005, 05:20 PM
I had made up my mind that if I still had my Dakota when the fuel pump went out again (probably around 60k) I was going to make an access point in the bed of the pickup like the old datsun pickup I used to own had.

I would think that a Jeep would have had an access point from the inside - my Toyota Landcruiser even has one.

I have owned one Toyota in my Life, a very long time ago and the pump was in the tank. It went out fairly quick because I did not keep that car very long.
My 90 Dakota has about 130k and no fuel pump problems or any others yet. My 98 Durango only has 70k, but never any problems of any kind. My 86 Daytona sat for probably 8 years, consequently the fuel pump stuck, but that is the only one I have had to replace and it had one of those access panels :shrug: .

Skip Towne
09-09-2005, 05:42 PM
I've had the fuel pump go out of my Astrovan three different ways. The first one would start the van and idle but would die if you gave it gas. The second one quit while I was driving down the road. The mechanic found the two wires leading to the tank (where the pump is) to have rubbed the insulation off and arced together. Then it blew the fuse. The third was the weirdest. It started every morning and ran fine till about noon. Then would keep running all day until you shut it off then wouldn't start again. It was summer and hot weather. I finally changed the pump out of frustration and the problem stopped. i don' know how many other ways they can go out but there is three.

PastorMikH
09-09-2005, 06:32 PM
I have owned one Toyota in my Life, a very long time ago and the pump was in the tank. It went out fairly quick because I did not keep that car very long.
My 90 Dakota has about 130k and no fuel pump problems or any others yet. My 98 Durango only has 70k, but never any problems of any kind. My 86 Daytona sat for probably 8 years, consequently the fuel pump stuck, but that is the only one I have had to replace and it had one of those access panels :shrug: .

My 96 Dakota's fuel pump died at 38k - the warranty expired at 36k. The guy that changed it out worked for dodge before going to work at my friend's shop. He said that the fuel pumps in those trucks were notorious for going out and said I should pick up an aftermarket as they also had problems with the factory replacements.

I know lots of people that have good luck with Chrysler products, but I've had 3, and all 3 were major lemons. I've owned 8 Datsuns/Nissans and the only problem I had with them was the fact that I kept having other cars run into me when I was a teenager. Had 2 Chevy Astro vans and they don't hold up like the Nissans, but they both are a lot more solid than the Dodges I have owned.

Yellowbutter72
09-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Ok, since you seem knowledgable on cars, here is a question for you. The lights on the switches for my air, windshield wipers, etc come on when I am using these items and go off when I am not using them. Since I changed my battery the lights blink on and off all the time. The mechanic could not figure out what was wrong. Do you have any suggestions on how to get them to stop blinking?

HemiEd
09-20-2005, 04:01 PM
My 96 Dakota's fuel pump died at 38k - the warranty expired at 36k. The guy that changed it out worked for dodge before going to work at my friend's shop. He said that the fuel pumps in those trucks were notorious for going out and said I should pick up an aftermarket as they also had problems with the factory replacements.

I know lots of people that have good luck with Chrysler products, but I've had 3, and all 3 were major lemons. I've owned 8 Datsuns/Nissans and the only problem I had with them was the fact that I kept having other cars run into me when I was a teenager. Had 2 Chevy Astro vans and they don't hold up like the Nissans, but they both are a lot more solid than the Dodges I have owned.

Pastor, with the luck you have had I have to agree with your position.

Ok, since you seem knowledgable on cars, here is a question for you. The lights on the switches for my air, windshield wipers, etc come on when I am using these items and go off when I am not using them. Since I changed my battery the lights blink on and off all the time. The mechanic could not figure out what was wrong. Do you have any suggestions on how to get them to stop blinking?

Hey welcome to the Planet! This sounds to me like he did not get the secondary wires connected properly to the battery. Usually on these cars there is a secondary positive and negative 12 gauge wire going to the terminals to power the accessories. I would bet one of them is loose. Hope that helps.

Calcountry
09-20-2005, 04:24 PM
My van has 340,000 miles on it and it has quit me several times. The one thing I have learned is it is never the computer. All mechanics try to blame this but it just never is it. My van quit just as you described once and it was the fuel pump. Take the fuel line loose at the filter and turn on the key (assuming it has an electric fuel pump) fuel should come gushing out. If it doesn't, look from that point back to the fuel pump.You forgot to tell them to put out any cigarettes before attempting this procedure. :D

Jenny Gump
09-20-2005, 05:01 PM

Might sound crazy, but it could be the security system. My grand prix did that going down the highway, and turned out to be screwy electronics. Basically, it was like an auto shut off thing.

Other than that, I'm guessing fuel pump or injector. Especially if you can restart it briefly after it shuts down.