PDA

View Full Version : Chad Pennington on NFL Network

Hammock Parties
09-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Stole this from theganggreen.com:

I was shocked by this statement. Almost verbatim, it was something like this: "I'm not where I want to be, and I probably won't be until the end of the season. The goal is to go out there and execute the offense the way the coaches draw it up and try to put some points on the board. That's what I aim to do."

In addition to whatever this says about CP's physical condition, his tone and attitude spoke to a guy who is either (a) making excuses (not Chad's MO), or (b) possibly having a crisis of confidence with Dinger's offense.

I am not a darksider. I am simply reporting what I heard. I will look to the ranking members of this board for comment.

I will say this: Over the past several days, it has become obvious that Chad was perhaps more sheltered than we knew in the Hackett offense. Asking a guy coming off shoulder surgery to make hot reads on virtually every passing down may be asking a helluva lot.

Hammock Parties
09-08-2005, 01:06 AM
Dammit, what did Taco say?

Cmart28
09-08-2005, 01:12 AM
at the same time, Chad did lead the Jets to a playoff win and a FG away (2 chances) of an AFC Championship appearance with a torn rotator chuf. Say what you want about him, but he is a warrior.

tk13
09-08-2005, 01:13 AM
You guys are a full time zone behind New York. You're going to lose!

Hammock Parties
09-08-2005, 01:24 AM
at the same time, Chad did lead the Jets to a playoff win and a FG away (2 chances) of an AFC Championship appearance with a torn rotator chuf. Say what you want about him, but he is a warrior.

His offense put up a grand total of 37 points in two playoff games.

Taco John
09-08-2005, 01:46 AM
I asserted that Chad Pennington's hype is out of proportion to what he's actually delivered.

Chan93lx50
09-08-2005, 04:10 AM

Warrior?????? ROFL

Warrior5
09-08-2005, 05:04 AM
Warrior?????? ROFL

What?

Eleazar
09-08-2005, 06:14 AM
I've no doubt he has the ability to be a great QB in the NFL any day of the week and he's pretty good when healthy, which hasn't been all that often. Comes down to execution at the most mental position in the game.

Hammock Parties
09-08-2005, 06:19 AM
I've no doubt he has the ability to be a great QB in the NFL any day of the week and he's pretty good when healthy, which hasn't been all that often. Comes down to execution at the most mental position in the game.

Actually, I was shocked looking at his stats. He's pretty average.

Best season was 3,120 yards passing and 22 TDs. In the two seasons since COMBINED he's put up less than 5,000 yards and 30 TD.

Skip Towne
09-08-2005, 06:27 AM
If our D hasn't improved he'll look like Joe Montana.

donkhater
09-08-2005, 06:42 AM
Pennington wouldn't have half the reputation he does if not for playing in NY. He has a very slow release and an extremely average arm. All his long balls are rainbows.

That said, he is a cool customer on the field and his teammates seem to gravitate towrd him as a leader so he certainly has the intangibles.

As a QB on a less than stellar defensive team, he would not be near as successful win-wise.

milkman
09-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Pennington wouldn't have half the reputation he does if not for playing in NY. He has a very slow release and an extremely average arm. All his long balls are rainbows.

That said, he is a cool customer on the field and his teammates seem to gravitate towrd him as a leader so he certainly has the intangibles.

As a QB on a less than stellar defensive team, he would not be near as successful win-wise.

Are you trying to say that the QB can't pass it, and intercept it too?

StcChief
09-08-2005, 07:14 AM

Agreed. I have been underwhelmed by Chad.

Mecca
09-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Chad Pennington is what he is, an average NFL QB. I never got where his hype came from, other than him being a relativly high draft pick and well the NY media as was said before. He's a game manager, he's not gonna win the game for them. If we get in a shootout with them and make Chad pass to beat us, he won't, it's not his game.

As far as what he said there, it's pretty damn funny to admit that you're still injured. Then add on top of it that you don't really know the playbook either so it needs to be dumbed down for you. Way to instill confidence in your guys, especially before coming to Arrowhead.

dirk digler
09-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Pennington is an average NFL QB as far as ability but he has that X factor that makes him a good leader on the field and his teammates respect him.

But I am happy as a two pecker billy goat that he is still injured so we can put a whoopin on that ass.

jspchief
09-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Personally, I hope Gunther throws the whole f*cking book at him. Screw saving stuff for later in the season. Winning the opener against a play-off team will go a long way towards the confidence of our D, and a QB that doesn't know how to make reads in his new offense is the perfect springboard.

Mecca
09-08-2005, 07:26 AM
That's a really good idea too. If you hit Pennington, he get's rattled quickly and will make dumb decisions.

dirk digler
09-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Personally, I hope Gunther throws the whole f*cking book at him. Screw saving stuff for later in the season. Winning the opener against a play-off team will go a long way towards the confidence of our D, and a QB that doesn't know how to make reads in his new offense is the perfect springboard.

I agree. Hit him in the fuggin mouth!

cdcox
09-08-2005, 07:35 AM
One of the terms used to describe good QB prospects is "he can make all the passes". Chad can't make all the passes, especially the deep out. I first saw it in the playoff loss to the Raiders at the end of the 2002 season, where the Raiders strong corners ate him alive. At that point, most people were slobering all over him, but I said that Pennington was not a top QB that you could lean on to win a SB. Some pretty average QBs have won Superbowls, but if Chad ever wins one, it will be in spite of his contributions rather than because of them.

Biggs
09-08-2005, 07:36 AM

Chad's reputation comes from the 02 season when he came off the bench and led the Jets to the playoffs and a big win over the Colts. He has had 2 injury riddled seasons since and last year still lead the team to the playoffs and a road win against SD in the playoffs.

Chad has a below average NFL arm. He is extremely accurate 8 to 20 yards out. He also beats up on teams that don't stop the run and get pressure from the front 7. If the running game gets off, he is very good at play action fakes and creating time and mismatches off of the fakes. Where he breaks down is against really good front 7 Defenses. He can’t throw into spots without having the time to step up and fire, he simply doesn’t have the arm strength. Last year, he faced Pitt twice the Pats twice and Buffalo twice and really didn’t produce much. The Rams also did a great job of getting pressure off the edge. He destroyed teams like Seattle, Houston and SD who couldn't stop the run and press the QB out of the front 7.

This is the real test for KC this weekend, can you stop Curtis and apply pressure from the front 7? If you can do that, it takes away the play action that Chad loves and forces him to beat you going down field. If you can't do that, he will pick you apart. He also rarely makes the big mistake. If your D lets him get comfortable, he is going to put up enough points to beat you.

Your O is clearly better than the Jets O but our front 7 is much better than yours (until proven otherwise). We do have a question at DT with Dwayne Robertson playing with a broken hand and in a cast. He is one of the top Defensive players on the Jets and a key to stopping the run and collapsing the pocket. If he is slowed down by the cast, you might have a big day up the middle on the Jets.

It should be an intresting game, both teams have high expectations and question marks that should start to get answered in the next few weeks.

Good luck from a Jet fan that goes back to 1966. Hank Stram is one of my favorite all time coaches, Len Dawson, Buck Buchanan, Otis Taylor are a few of the great Chiefs that come to mind.

dirk digler
09-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Chad's reputation comes from the 02 season when he came off the bench and led the Jets to the playoffs and a big win over the Colts. He has had 2 injury riddled seasons since and last year still lead the team to the playoffs and a road win against SD in the playoffs.

Chad has a below average NFL arm. He is extremely accurate 8 to 20 yards out. He also beats up on teams that don't stop the run and get pressure from the front 7. If the running game gets off, he is very good at play action fakes and creating time and mismatches off of the fakes. Where he breaks down is against really good front 7 Defenses. He can’t throw into spots without having the time to step up and fire, he simply doesn’t have the arm strength. Last year, he faced Pitt twice the Pats twice and Buffalo twice and really didn’t produce much. The Rams also did a great job of getting pressure off the edge. He destroyed teams like Seattle, Houston and SD who couldn't stop the run and press the QB out of the front 7.

This is the real test for KC this weekend, can you stop Curtis and apply pressure from the front 7? If you can do that, it takes away the play action that Chad loves and forces him to beat you going down field. If you can't do that, he will pick you apart. He also rarely makes the big mistake. If your D lets him get comfortable, he is going to put up enough points to beat you.

Your O is clearly better than the Jets O but our front 7 is much better than yours (until proven otherwise). We do have a question at DT with Dwayne Robertson playing with a broken hand and in a cast. He is one of the top Defensive players on the Jets and a key to stopping the run and collapsing the pocket. If he is slowed down by the cast, you might have a big day up the middle on the Jets.

It should be an intresting game, both teams have high expectations and question marks that should start to get answered in the next few weeks.

Good luck from a Jet fan that goes back to 1966. Hank Stram is one of my favorite all time coaches, Len Dawson, Buck Buchanan, Otis Taylor are a few of the great Chiefs that come to mind.

Good analysis Biggs. Thanks.

Eleazar
09-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Nice take Biggs. The game will turn on the rushing ypc for both teams IMO.

The Pennington matchup against the new and improved D is a red herring, the game will be decided on the ground.