PDA

View Full Version : 10 Bold Predictions

rageeumr
09-08-2005, 06:20 AM
Yet another useless prediction article, however since I like some of this guy's predictions, I'm going to post it :)

Sorry if repost...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4824606?GT1=6902

Adam Schein / FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 day ago

Here's the beauty of competitive balance: There's a very good chance I am going to be wrong.

Take the 2004 NFL season for example.

When I was asked if the San Diego Chargers could win eight games, I smugly replied that there was a better chance of Jessica Simpson leaving Nick Lachey for me.

The Chargers won a division title.

I'm still waiting for Jessica's call.

It's the NFL circa 2005. Almost anything can happen.

Except San Francisco making the playoffs.

Think about last year's shockers:

Reuben Droughns rushes for more than 1,000 yards last year?
Big Ben leads the Steelers to a 15-1 mark?
The Cowboys take a step back in 2004?
Never saw it coming.

Oh, but that buzz word that they hate at the NFL office (shhhhh, "parity") won't stop me from dusting off the crystal ball, and making a few concrete declarations for a year that should be more wild and wonderful than any we've seen in the NFL.

10 bold predictions for 2005

1. The Broncos will finish in the cellar in the AFC West
So let me get this straight: The Browns give up chunks of yards on the ground in 2004 and the Broncos go out and get their defensive line for this season. Unreal.

I don't trust Denver quarterback Jake Plummer. Never have. Never will. I'm still having visions of that left-handed throw dancing in my head. Sure he can make the impossible possible, but what concerns me is the interception he throws in the second quarter that gives the opposition an easy seven points.

Or as TV analyst and former 49ers great Randy Cross says, "Plummer is the Billy Graham of the NFL. He can make 70,000 people say 'Jesus' in unison."

Ron Dayne has also run the ball well in August before, only to disappear from September to December.

Champ Bailey has a bad hamstring. That makes me very concerned when I look at the rest of the Broncos' cover corners.

And you can make the case Denver plays in the best division in the NFL this year.

The Chiefs beefed up their defense significantly with Derrick Johnson, Pat Surtain, Sammy Knight, Kendrell Bell, and the underrated Carlos Hall.

San Diego might just be the most balanced team in the AFC.

Oakland's offense will challenge the Colts for being the greatest in the NFL. Kerry Collins is going to succeed in Norv Turner's high-powered attack. Randy Moss will have a fantastic season. Jerry Porter is a perfect No. 2 wideout. And Lamont Jordan is the perfect Turner-style back, and his ability to control the game will aid the Raiders defense. Expect Jordan to have a Pro Bowl-caliber season.

7-9 can easily be last place in the division. That's what I see for the Broncos.

2. The Redskins will be a last-place team
Say it isn't so Joe. The NFC East clearly belongs to the Philadelphia Eagles. The next two slots will go to the Cowboys and Giants, both coming off of very good off-seasons, leaving Joe Gibbs' boys in the basement.

There's no way you can tell me the 'Skins have better talent now than one year ago. Right after Gibbs called linebacker Antonio Pierce and cornerback Fred Smoot "Core Redskins," owner Dan Snyder forgot where his checkbook was and let them walk to the Giants and Vikings respectively.

This could be a long season for Joe Gibbs' Redskins. (Jamie Squire / Getty Images)

Wide receiver Santana Moss isn't as good as Laveranues Coles, whom the Redskins traded to get Moss. And while you certainly can sell me on the fact that wide receiver Rod Gardner needed a change of venue, you can't convince me David Patten is a go-to option as his replacement. The Patriots didn't even try to bring Patten back. Have New England's Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli ever been wrong?

It's obvious that Gibbs doesn't endorse Patrick Ramsey at quarterback. The coach proved that by drafting Jason Campbell with the team's second first-round pick and by keeping 2004 disaster Mark Brunell around. As a result, Ramsey plays looking over his shoulder.

Clinton Portis isn't comfortable running Gibbs' style of offense. Last year, he complained that the offense was too predictable. Portis wants the offensive line to block more like it did in Denver. Running backs coach Ernest Byner says he talked with former Denver offensive line coach Alex Gibbs about making adjustments. I talked to team executive Vinny Cerrato, who says nothing has changed. Chaos still rules at Redskins Park.

In the secondary, rookie cornerback Carlos Rogers is banged up. Walt Harris has to play way too much. And Sean Taylor has a legal mess hanging over his head.

3. Julius Jones will lead the NFL in rushing
Bill Parcells is going back to his roots. The Tuna is going to rely on defense, a strong running game, a great tight end, intelligence and toughness in Dallas to win this season. And Jones is at the heart of it all.

After a broken shoulder caused Jones to be inactive for the first half of the 2004 season, the former Norte Dame star dominated the rest of the way with 819 rushing yards and seven touchdowns. Jones is strong, physical, and speedy rolled into one package. And Parcells is going to let him carry the mail at least 25 times every Sunday.

4. The Jets will miss the playoffs
The AFC is loaded with teams that are truly postseason ready. The Jets just have too many question marks to ultimately get it done.

Can Chad Pennington stay healthy for an entire season?
How will Pennington respond to off-season rotator cuff surgery?
Is Pennington thinking too much, like he did with two picks vs. the Giants last weekend, to succeed in Mike Heimerdinger's new aggressive offense?
Will Curtis Martin rush for over 1,600 yards again?
Will the team miss favorite Lamont Jordan?
Is Adrian Jones the answer at right tackle?
Can John Abraham stay healthy for 16 games?
Is there enough depth at safety?
Will Dewayne Robertson be able to play with a broken hand?
Who steps up next to Robertson at defensive tackle?
Does Herm Edwards know how to use a clock?

5. The Bills will play the second weekend in January
I love this defense.

You can even make the case that the combination of Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher and Jeff Posey make up the best linebacker core in the NFL.

Takeo Spikes leads a ferocious Bills defense. (Jeff Roberson / Associated Press)

Nate Clements changes the game at the cover corner position.

Lawyer Milloy and Troy Vincent bring experience and attitude at the safety position.

Sam Adams, Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel are beasts up front.

Jerry Gray is a great defensive coordinator and deserves to be a head coach.

Willis McGahee is a star.

And enough with this talk about the opposition stacking the box with JP Losman at quarterback. Did teams fear Drew Bledsoe last year?

Losman is fearless and smart. He's a tremendous athlete who can escape from potential tacklers, just like Big Ben in Pittsburgh last year. And coach Mike Mularkey can run his entire playbook, filled with rollouts, something he couldn't so with the backfield statue that was Bledsoe last year.

Eric Moulds and Lee Evans make for an explosive pair at wide receiver.

And I loved how this team came from the dead last year.

They will finally reach the playoffs in the Tom Donohue reign in lovely Western New York.

6. Kyle Boller to the postseason; Ben Roethlisberger to the Bahamas
OK, so Boller has looked miserable during the Ravens' preseason.

But let's remember this: no Jamal Lewis and no Todd Heap.

I really think as the season rolls along Boller can find his groove with Jim Fassel calling plays and Derrick Mason as his new favorite receiver.

The Ravens defense will make more game-changing plays this season than any other defense with Samari Rolle joining the AFC's best defender Ed Reed, Chris McAlister and Will Demps in the defensive backfield. Ray Lewis still anchors a very potent front seven.

And it's not as if Roethlisberger is having a good August.

The Steelers running backs are falling apart. Duce Staley is out for the first month. Jerome Bettis is missing for at least the first game. When Willie Parker opens your season at running back and you base so much of your attack off the run, you are going to struggle. Pittsburgh ran the ball 61 percent of the time last year. And think of how much of Big Ben's success was built off of the play-action pass.

I think this team will miss Plaxico Burress. And the Steelers have to pay Hines Ward at some point, right?

By the way, just for the sake of asking, which coach, Brian Billick or Bill Cowher, has the Super Bowl ring?

7. Kyle Orton wins more games than Brett Favre
Packers fans just love me.

I really like this Bears defense. As a unit, they collectively have a great knack for creating turnovers. Tommie Harris is about to become a star. Alex Brown knows how to get to the quarterback. Look for big things from defensive end Adewale Ogunleye in Year 2 in Chicago. Brian Urlacher is healthy. Lovie Smith is a great coach and teacher.

Maybe the Packers would have been better off selecting Kyle Orton rather than Aaron Rodgers in the draft. (Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images)

Yes, Orton's a rookie and he scares me, but not nearly as much as Chad Hutchinson did.

And more important, I really think Green Bay is taking a major step back.

The offensive line is in transition without Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle.

The defense is a disaster.

Brett Favre is a year older.

Ahman Green fumbles too much.

I know I am going to get many more wonderful emails, following up from this and last week's column.

And here's the deal — if the Packers win the division — I'll take a picture wearing a cheese head for my FOX photo.

8. J.J. Arrington and Derrick Johnson win Rookie of the Year
If I really had guts I'd pick Saints tackle Jammal Brown, as I do think the mistake-free offensive lineman was a fantastic pick by New Orleans.

Yes, Arrington has struggled in the preseason. But you know Cardinals coach Dennis Green will stick with him, and Arrington's backup, Marcel Shipp, isn't exactly Barry Sanders. Arrington is blessed with great speed, and Green isn't afraid to play newbies in big spots.

Cadillac Williams from Tampa Bay will finish second.

There are going to be a lot of general managers league-wide explaining how on earth they let Johnson fall to pick No. 15 in the first round Forget the combines. Forget the 40 times. Forget the angle Johnson takes toward the ball. Derrick Johnson makes game-changing plays, turns the opposition over, and will be an instant star at linebacker in Kansas City.

Arizona corner Antrel Rolle will be the runner-up.

9. Corey Dillon is the league MVP; Patriots go back to the Super Bowl
Dillon didn't get anywhere close to the credit he deserved for his spectacular play and tremendous attitude last year in New England. He's a great running back.

Dillon should more than duplicate last year's superb first season with the Patriots by topping 2004's numbers of 1,635 yards and 12 touchdowns. Remember, it actually took the former Bengals back a game or two to become acclimated to New England. Dillon is a big, physical bull, and still possesses breakaway speed. And with New England scoring first in so many games, Dillon becomes the ultimate game-controller and clock eater. Dillon's the ultimate balance for Tom Brady in the regular season.

With Charlie Weis at Norte Dame, look for Brady and Bill Belichick to bank on Dillon even more.

The Chargers' LaDainian Tomlinson will be the runner-up for the top individual honor.

The AFC East, and the AFC for that matter, still belongs to the Patriots in 2005.

I can't believe how many people are writing off the Pats. I understand Tedy Bruschi isn't playing, Weis is coaching college, and Romeo Crennel is the top dog in Cleveland. But Brady's Brady. Belichick is still a genius. And personnel guru Scott Pioli made up for key losses with Logan Mankins, Andre Davis, Monty Beisel and Chad Brown.

It's the Patriots world, and we are simply living in it.

10. Carolina will win the Super Bowl :BS:
They say that to win in this great game you have to be strong in the trenches.

Every defensive lineman is healthy now for Carolina, meaning you can once again call this unit the best defensive line in the NFL, led by the best defensive player in football, Julius Peppers. Defensive tackle Kris Jenkins coming back will aid Mike Rucker.

Julius Peppers gives the Panthers a dynamic playmaker on defense. (Craig Jones / Getty Images)

The signing of Mike Wahle from Green Bay was a brilliant free-agent pickup, adding stability, toughness, and greatness to the Panthers.

I can't even begin to describe how much I respect this organization, from general manger Marty Hurney to coach John Fox.

Jake Delhomme is healthy. Maybe you don't realize how much his thumb bothered him last year, and Delhomme has the "it" quality you see in other great and clutch quarterbacks.

Steve Smith is 100 percent healthy and ready to not only be a game-changing wideout, but also a burner on special teams.

Keary Colbert will be even better than his very solid rookie season at wide receiver last year.

And ex-Redskin Rod Gardner gets that change of venue where there is no pressure on him.

The running back position is deep with DeShaun Foster (in a contract year), second-round pick Eric Shelton, and maybe Stephen Davis. But with these aforementioned backs, plus Nick Goings and Rod Smart, Carolina doesn't have to bank on Davis' health.

I loved the pickup of Ken Lucas, to go along with Chris Gamble and Ricky Manning Jr. in the defensive backfield. These defensive backs are going to drive the opposition batty.

Dan Morgan is healthy, and the Pro Bowl linebacker just got a new deal.

And I love how Carolina showed heart and determination last year, coming back after a plethora of injuries doomed them to a 1-7 start.

This team has the character, the coaching, and the talent.

Count on it: Carolina wins the Super Bowl. Again,:BS:

rageeumr
09-08-2005, 06:22 AM
I also found it funny that this guy has the Jets picked to miss the playoffs. The other useless prediction I read today (AOL News) has them winning the Super Bowl. I guess we'll learn a bit about them on Sunday......

WisChief
09-08-2005, 06:23 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=123475

:)

Hammock Parties
09-08-2005, 06:26 AM
Rageemur...where did you get the arrowhead pic for your sig?

rageeumr
09-08-2005, 06:27 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=123475

:)

Curses! I thought searching for "Broncos Cellar" would catch it. I guess not if the article wasn't posted :banghead: Can I get a delete here?

rageeumr
09-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Rageemur...where did you get the arrowhead pic for your sig?

I took a normal one and used the "wind" effect in Corel Photopaint (Worthless compared to Photoshop, but it's what I learned on.) I'd be happy to throw another one together if you'd like.

Hammock Parties
09-08-2005, 06:31 AM
No...arrowhead STADIUM

rageeumr
09-08-2005, 06:42 AM
No...arrowhead STADIUM

Color me ignorant.

http://www.americaswonderlands.com/images/KC/Chiefs-web.jpg

I cut it down a bit and added the tint.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-08-2005, 07:59 AM
3. Julius Jones will lead the NFL in rushing

That would be cool considering he was the first RB I picked for my fantasy team and their are plenty of doubters in my league.

carlos3652
09-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Nice find...

Archie F. Swin
09-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Or as TV analyst and former 49ers great Randy Cross says, "Plummer is the Billy Graham of the NFL. He can make 70,000 people say 'Jesus' in unison."

that's pretty damn good....for an asshat