PDA

View Full Version : Home remodeling question....

penguinz
09-08-2005, 08:53 AM
How much trouble would it be to convert a basement level fireplace in to a wood burning stove? What would be some things I need to watch out for?

Phobia
09-08-2005, 09:41 AM
I haven't done it, but I have some insight coupled with questions. I don't feel like doing all that typing. You're welcome to PM me a phone number and I'll discuss it with you.

jspchief
09-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Is it currently a gas fireplace, or wood burning?

penguinz
09-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Wood burning. With cost of gas prices going up this winter I want a more efficient heating source than a fireplace.

jspchief
09-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Wood burning. With cost of gas prices going up this winter I want a more efficient heating source than a fireplace.Well, that's a good start. If it was a gas fireplace, you would already be fooked because of inadequate exhaust.

I'll let Phobia handle it from here. He's sure to know more about these things.

Biohazard
09-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Better check with your insurance co. before you do anything like that. Wood burning fireplace will really raise your insurance if not get you dropped!

penguinz
09-08-2005, 10:03 AM
How would it change rates much over a fireplace?

Simplex3
09-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Is your fireplace standing out in the middle of your room where you can lay stuff against it?

Biohazard
09-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Coals, sparks, and mostly the build-up in the chimney from burning wood! Adding wood burning unit to my house raised my premium about $54ish per month, and I had to add triple lined pipe(expensive as hell!) I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I would check into it first. The wood heat is lots cheaper.

WisChief
09-08-2005, 10:16 AM
I know some dude at Edgewood Construction. Name's Phil somethingorother. He's in KC - give him a call.

Logical
09-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Hire Phobia

He is due for a new truck

Phobia
09-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Nah - that dude isn't qualified nor certified to do that kind of work. But he knows a thing or two about wood burning stoves and remodeling so he'd be good to bounce questions off of.

MichaelH
09-08-2005, 10:36 AM
You'd have to get a woodburning insert. If the chimney is in good shape, all you need is a piece of flexible stainless steel pipe to go from the top of the insert up past the damper. then seal around the pipe with hi-temp insulation. Of course it varies from region to region but I used to install both wood and gas fireplaces and stoves.

kepp
09-08-2005, 10:55 AM
How much trouble would it be to convert a basement level fireplace in to a wood burning stove? What would be some things I need to watch out for?

My dad did that in his house. It wasn't a big undertaking. As someone else said, all you really need is some flexible piping and a chimney that's in good shape.

penguinz
09-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Coals, sparks, and mostly the build-up in the chimney from burning wood! Adding wood burning unit to my house raised my premium about $54ish per month, and I had to add triple lined pipe(expensive as hell!) I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I would check into it first. The wood heat is lots cheaper.
I think you might have mis-understood. I already have a wood burning fireplace. I am wanting to turn it into a wood burning stove.

MichaelH
09-08-2005, 12:39 PM
I think you might have mis-understood. I already have a wood burning fireplace. I am wanting to turn it into a wood burning stove.
If your chimney is in good shape, get a wood burning fireplace insert as my above post suggests. Depending on what you want, the cost varies from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand. The only downside is the fireboxes aren't as big as a normal freestanding woodburning stove. This means if you leave for more than about 8 hours, the fire is out and the house is cold.

penguinz
09-08-2005, 01:18 PM
The cheapest insert I have found is $850 compared to less than $400 for a Stove.

MichaelH
09-08-2005, 01:37 PM
It's very difficult to vent a woodstove through a fireplace opening. The top of the opening to the fireplace is almost always below the outlet for the woodstove. Remember, smoke has to go up. The only time I've seen a woodstove put into a fireplace opening is when it was an old house with a HUGE firebox and the whole woodstove slid into the firebox.

kepp
09-08-2005, 02:43 PM
I can see where it might be difficult with the size of fireplaces they put in some newer homes. Then again, my parent's fireplace wasn't oversized and it worked fine. You can also buy wood stoves that sit low if need be.

Biohazard
09-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Yeah I did sorry!! :banghead:

penguinz
09-19-2005, 07:41 AM
I got this all figured out. My Uncle has a spare insert w/fan for some odd reason and he is giving that to me. My step-father is going to help me install it and also set it up so that the combustion air is pulled from outside and not inside.

I have also been offered a but load of free wood. Is cut but still needs to be split.

Skip Towne
09-19-2005, 07:51 AM
If you hire that Phil guy to do the work, be sure to park all your vehicles at least 1/4 mile from the job site.