PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Johnson Vs. Jonathan Vilma

Buzzsaw
09-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Question is simple -- if you were the GM of a new franchise and had to choose one the two LB's, who would you take right now?

tk13
09-09-2005, 01:43 AM
DJ. Wouldn't think twice. And before you throw the homer label at me, I was openly rooting for us to get him near the beginning of last college football season. I couldn't believe we actually landed him. :)

KCChiefsMan
09-09-2005, 01:43 AM
thats a stupid question. I'd take DJ in a second, plus we haven't seen what he's gonna do in a full game yet

easymobee
09-09-2005, 01:44 AM
DJ Williams

Pants
09-09-2005, 01:45 AM
thats a stupid question. I'd take DJ in a second, plus we haven't seen what he's gonna do in a full game yet

That's why some poeple would pick Vilma instead, since he is proven.

I don't know, I voted DJ because I'm a Chiefs homer, honestly I don't know... I think a good MLB is more important to a new franchise, build the D around him, but DJ just has so much talent...

SoCalBronco
09-09-2005, 01:47 AM
DJ Williams

Yeah I was just about to say.....where's the "Gaz is all knowing and he knows that all you idiots are too blind to see that DJ Williams is far superior to both" option?

But as between Vilma and Johnson, I would take Johnson. Vilma is very overrated. I am still pissed he stole DROY from the real DJ last year.

Gravedigger
09-09-2005, 01:48 AM
Yeah I think vilma is a good LB but DJ looks like he has more speed and production value but we'll just have to see.

easymobee
09-09-2005, 01:49 AM
That's why some poeple would pick Vilma instead, since he is proven.

Thats what i was thinking too .....

Derrick Johnson looks good and might show that he's better than Vilma after this year, but the answer to this one should be Vilma.

If it was an ESPN Poll or something like that it would be 70% Vilma to 30% Johnson (for now).

Anyway ... i'd rather have DJ Williams than either of your 2 teams broken down LB'ers anyway.

Hammock Parties
09-09-2005, 01:57 AM
DJ Williams? Give me a break.

Spicy McHaggis
09-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Vilma is a good MLB but he's like Zach Taylor in that he has to be protected more than most at the position to be productive. Keep linemen off him and he has the range to make plays. Really, size is his big limitation. To combat that he has got to learn to play with better leverage.

On the positive side Vilma seems to read plays exceptionally well for a young player and he's got great speed to get there and blow something up once he sees it. Good tackler too.

SoCalBronco
09-09-2005, 02:03 AM
Vilma is a good MLB but he's like Zach Taylor in that he has to be protected more than most at the position to be productive. Keep linemen off him and he has the range to make plays. Really, size is his big limitation. To combat that he has got to learn to play with better leverage.

On the positive side Vilma seems to read plays exceptionally well for a young player and he's got great speed to get there and blow something up once he sees it. Good tackler too.

Actually, Vilma is a mediocre tackler. Go watch any regular season Hurricanes game from 2002.

easymobee
09-09-2005, 02:09 AM
DJ Williams? Give me a break.

This time last year you would have picked Scott Fujita over DJ Williams,
So i'll just let you have your mancrush in peace.

Actually, Vilma is a mediocre tackler. Go watch any regular season Hurricanes game from 2002.

Great Sig ... was that from here or the Mane?

Spicy McHaggis
09-09-2005, 02:09 AM

It's 2005 now. If you're under the impression that Plummer went from a bad QB in 2002 to a good one now in 2005 then Vilma improving his tackling in those same 3 years shouldn't be a stretch.

Hammock Parties
09-09-2005, 02:18 AM
This time last year you would have had the same reaction if this coversation were DJ Williams or Scott Fujita.

So i'll just let you have your mancrush in peace.

Eh, that's a load of crap.

DJ Williams is a nice little linebacker, but he'll never be the playmaker-type that Derrick Johnson is destined to be.

Good luck with your Browncos!

Logical
09-09-2005, 02:20 AM
I am hoping at the end of the season my answer will be DJ but for now I have to go with the proven player Vilma.

easymobee
09-09-2005, 02:22 AM

DJ Williams is a nice little linebacker, but he'll never be the playmaker-type that Derrick Johnson is destined to be.

Destined?

He looks like a good pick, but i don't know if i'd start throwing around words like "destined" quite yet .... ya might jinx it Bob.

Hopefully he's "destined" like the '97 Chiefs or Percy Snow.

Pants
09-09-2005, 02:26 AM
Destined?

He looks like a good pick, but i don't know if i'd start throwing around words like "destined" quite yet .... ya might jinx it Bob.

Hopefully he's "destined" like the '97 Chiefs or Percy Snow.

So you'd pick your DJ over our DJ?

SoCalBronco
09-09-2005, 02:29 AM
It's 2005 now. If you're under the impression that Plummer went from a bad QB in 2002 to a good one now in 2005 then Vilma improving his tackling in those same 3 years shouldn't be a stretch.

Ive watched almost all of Vilma's college games from 2000 to 2003. He was never a very good tackler but for small spurts, in parts of 2001 and the second half of 2003. Even though he racked up alot of tackles in the San Diego playoff game, he whiffed on a half dozen more when LT bulldozed him. One missed tackle was particular awful in overtime.

SoCalBronco
09-09-2005, 02:30 AM

Not a playmaker? He only had more TFL last year than any Bronco has had since 1991.

I know your trying to goad me in particular with your comments Bob but at least make a halfway decent argument.

SoCalBronco
09-09-2005, 02:36 AM
Great Sig ... was that from here or the Mane?

I got it from here. Believe it or not, Bob provides even more hilarious material here than at the Mane.

Hammock Parties
09-09-2005, 02:37 AM
Not a playmaker? He only had more TFL last year than any Bronco has had since 1991.

I know your trying to goad me in particular with your comments Bob but at least make a halfway decent argument.

Hey, I didn't say he wasn't good. I just don't think he's elite. He never "wowed" me last year.

I think the only time I noticed him was when he fell down trying to cover Tony Gonzalez.

tk13
09-09-2005, 02:40 AM
He's been providing quality material here for years. You don't get banned repeatedly without some effort.
Yeah, why don't you ban him again while you're at it. Oh yeah, I forgot.... you can't! Haha! :)

Hammock Parties
09-09-2005, 02:48 AM
NANANANA

NA

NA

Can't touch this!

http://www.nofear.org/images/mc_hammer.jpg

tk13
09-09-2005, 02:51 AM
Haha. Prick. I'll just move your next thread to the Romper Room. What do you think about that? Huh?
Ooooohhh. Weak threats from a beaten man. Not so tough without your mod abilities, are ya? Gonna move me to the big bad ROMPER ROOM.

XXXshogunXXX
09-09-2005, 03:04 AM
haha..buzzsaw prolly made this poll to show non-chiefs (not only Jet fans). Everyone will have a good laugh.

Mecca
09-09-2005, 06:53 AM
I think Vilma's a good player don't get me wrong but he wouldn't be thought of as this great player if he wasn't in New York. His hype machine has presented him as a better player than he really is. He's an undersized MLB who can get steamrolled and misses tackles frequently.

Right now, I'd consider Vilma more hype than substance we'll see if that changes. The NY machine built up Shockey like that and still to this day he's more hype than substance.

alanm
09-09-2005, 07:12 AM

You realize of course that Zach Taylor if the QB for the Huskers. If that;s the case I'd rather have DJ than Taylor play LB for us. :)

KCFANinNC
09-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Vilma

DJ before a game is too big of a gamble.

KCChiefsMan
09-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Vilma: 7 tackles
Johnson: 8 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF

YA BABY!

Chief Faithful
09-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Today DJ justified our faith in him.

Hammock Parties
09-11-2005, 06:53 PM
I didn't even notice Vilma on the field. Our O-Line is so dominating!

Rocky
09-11-2005, 07:10 PM
kirk morrison!