PDA

View Full Version : Jets Punter Graham Sends Challange to Dante Hall

ChiefsKing
09-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Graham Meets Challenge and Sends One

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Sept. 8 - After watching film of Dante Hall, the Kansas City Chiefs' (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/profootball/nationalfootballleague/kansascitychiefs/index.html?inline=nyt-org) resplendent return man, what did Jets (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/profootball/nationalfootballleague/newyorkjets/index.html?inline=nyt-org) punter Ben Graham think of him?
"My first impressions," Graham said, "were touchdown, touchdown, take it to the house, dance, dance."
Graham's summation elicited a laugh from rookie linebacker Dennis Haley, a special-teams guy who was dressing near Graham in the locker room.

It will not be easy Sunday in the season opener at Arrowhead Stadium to blunt the skills of Hall, whose speed and elusiveness make him less a football player, in Jets Coach Herman Edwards's opinion, than a "video-game" figure.
But, Graham's road to the N.F.L. has not exactly been a paved highway.
"Kind of mind-boggling" is how Edwards describes Graham's months-long journey from Australian Football League star to oldest rookie, at 31, to start a season in the N.F.L. What Graham has pulled off, Edwards said, "is hard to do."
If jumping feetfirst into a new sport was not easy, neither was procuring the proper work visa to permit Graham to take the plunge.
Before Graham won a spot on the Jets' roster, he worried about obtaining a P-1 work permit. When former Australian player Darren Bennett was punting for the San Diego Chargers (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/profootball/nationalfootballleague/sandiegochargers/index.html?inline=nyt-org), someone from the team had to write a letter to satisfy immigration authorities vouching that there was no American citizen more qualified for the job.
In Graham's case, that was obvious to anybody who observed the strength of his leg and the confounding spin that he puts on the ball. But in the post-9/11 world, where there is more scrutiny of non-citizens entering the United States, other complications arose.
"I can't explain why, but it was a real nightmare," Graham said of getting his work visa. "It caused some worries."
Graham had heard of other prominent Australian personalities being denied entry into the United States because their visas were not in order. He could not forget the story of Ian (Molly) Meldrum, the Australian pop-music personality, who arrived at Los Angeles International Airport last year without the proper paperwork and was handcuffed and detained for 12 hours before being put on a plane back to Melbourne.
"I wanted to avoid anything like that happening," Graham said.
So in June, with his spot on the Jets still not assured, Graham decided to get his paperwork in order just in case. His return to New York was delayed a few days, he said, because complications arose in getting his visa finalized.
It reads now like just another twist in the Hollywood plot that is Graham's second career. But "at the time," he said, "it seemed like a lot to go through."
With all that behind him, Graham is free to look ahead to his historic debut Sunday. The Chiefs' Hall should know that Graham is on the record as saying he cannot wait to hit someone.
"Definitely," Graham said, smiling.
Running back Derrick Blaylock, who blocked for Hall on returns before signing with the Jets as a free agent during the off-season, said of Hall, "He's a good returner but I don't know if he's seen anything like Ben's punts. It will be a big challenge for him to try to catch Ben's punts."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/09/sports/football/09jets.html

Dante Hall will break the ST touchdown record this year.

Eleazar
09-09-2005, 10:28 AM
What is the challange? (CPS)

I dont get it.

Soupnazi
09-09-2005, 10:30 AM
If that's punter smack-talk, I don't ever want to hear smack from a punter again.

I hope Dante gets the opportunity to wave at Graham as he runs by into the endzone.

jynni
09-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Running back Derrick Blaylock, who blocked for Hall on returns before signing with the Jets as a free agent during the off-season, said of Hall, "He's a good returner but I don't know if he's seen anything like Ben's punts. It will be a big challenge for him to try to catch Ben's punts."
How do Graham's punts compare to Colquitt? Will practicing off Colquitt help him catch weird punts from Graham?

Mecca
09-09-2005, 10:32 AM
The Jets seem awfully cocky, almost like they're just daring Dante to return one on them.

I'm also pretty sure Dante is used to punts with unusual spins with Colquitt punting to him in practice everyday...........

Chest Rockwell
09-09-2005, 10:34 AM
How do Graham's punts compare to Colquitt? Will practicing off Colquitt help him catch weird punts from Graham?

Well, you see, Graham is Austrailian, and everything below the equator spins counter-clockwise, kinda like the water in the drain, due to being below the equator. So the spin on his kicks are BACKWARDS by comparison.

The really good thing is, since Colquitt is LEFT-footed, his punts ALSO spin counter-clockwise, or BACKWARDS, so Dante should have no trouble.

:thumb:

Raiderhater
09-09-2005, 10:35 AM
The Jets seem awfully cocky, almost like they're just daring Dante to return one on them.

Why would anyone be so stupid? I mean, really, do they not realize Dante is just going to feed off of all this?

Soupnazi
09-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Note to Graham:

If you should happen to encounter Dante Hall in the open field with only you to keep him from the endzone, you're going to shit your pants just like the rest of the kickers in the NFL would.

ChiefsKing
09-09-2005, 10:44 AM
I hope Dante puts a juke move on him that breaks him off at the ankles

Amnorix
09-09-2005, 10:49 AM
FWIW, apparently the dude has some kind fo weird spin he puts on the ball, AND he's left-footed, or something. From what I heard, the Jets P Returners had alot of trouble adjusting to it during camp, and the Jets are thinking they're definitely going to get some fumble recoveries as a result of all this.

:shrug:

InChiefsHeaven
09-09-2005, 10:49 AM
What a twit.

"Oi jes caunt wait te lie the wood on Dante Hall. Thet leetle buggah is gonna be soooo sorry..."

...this is why the coined the term Aus-hat...

Eleazar
09-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Hall shouldn't have any trouble handling left-footed spin, he sees it daily in practice.

ChiefsKing
09-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Going into his first ever NFL game, his first time at arrowhead, in the USA, facing the best returner in NFL history, and he has a smile on his face saying he can't wait to hit somebody and he is going to kick right at him? I can't wait to see Dante return one on him. He has never kicked a ball to anyone like Dante before, I think he is the one who is in for a surprise.

jynni
09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
FWIW, apparently the dude has some kind fo weird spin he puts on the ball, AND he's left-footed, or something. From what I heard, the Jets P Returners had alot of trouble adjusting to it during camp, and the Jets are thinking they're definitely going to get some fumble recoveries as a result of all this.

That's almost the exact word that was coming out of Chiefs camp about Colquitt. I'm guessing Dante won't be quite as phazed as they'd like him to be.

Does Graham punt as high as Colquitt? One of the best things about Colquitt's punts is that not only do they spin weird, they take forever and a day to come down.

carlos3652
09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
The only reason he is so bold is because Dante is not 100%

teedubya
09-09-2005, 10:57 AM
what will be funnay is when the Jets drop a Colquitt punt. That will own.

vckcchiefs04

Correct...... what they forget is that the Chiefs now have a left footed punter with weird spin on his kicks, and he kicks to Dante all the time. Kind of a major reach the jets are going for there huh? Are they really reduced to looking at their punter for an advantage? Oh well. Dante will break the 3rd punt for a long return, or a TD all together.

CHIEFS - 38
jets - 27

B_Ambuehl
He played in the Aussie football league where they get the ball down the field by kicking it. What the arm is to an american football quarterback the leg is to an aussie football player. He's got at least 3 different types of spins that he puts on the kicks with each one used in a different situation. End over end, tumbler, etc.

Eleazar
09-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Maybe he thinks he's still playing Australian rules football, where punters don't get roached by guys 100lbs heavier when they try to hit someone.

jspchief
09-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Personally, I think this whole spin thing is a load of crap. Both for Graham and Colquitt. Come real game time, returners will concentrate enough to catch the balls, regardless of how they spin.

I predict it will produce no more muffed punts than usual.

Piper
09-09-2005, 11:10 AM

I'm also pretty sure Dante is used to punts with unusual spins with Colquitt punting to him in practice everyday...........

How does this come off as cocky? I must have missed that part...

Chest Rockwell
09-09-2005, 11:21 AM

Holy crap...he's Australian AND left-footed?!? That completely negates the reverse spin because he's from below the equator theory...

We're DOOOMED!

Dammit Carl!

Hydrae
09-09-2005, 11:27 AM
I can't wait until Still levels this guy during a return. Then he will understand how brutal American Football can be. :)

trndobrd
09-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Graham is also left-legged, so Dante should be fairly used to the spin.

However, he is 6-5 230 and if he played half-back for 12 years in the particularly brutal sport of Aussie Rules he is no stranger to taking a hit. There is no "punter" position in Aussie Rules. Half-back is sort of a mid-fielder type position, responsible for catching the ball (without the benefit of those pesky pass interference rules that Randy Moss enjoys) and kicking the ball, usually on the run with a bunch of dudes trying to kill him.

chiefqueen
09-09-2005, 11:44 AM
With all the ex-Chiefs with the Jets you would someone would have told them King Carl uses any smack talk to fire up the crowd @ Arrowhead.

Sure-Oz
09-09-2005, 11:44 AM
wow who cares what their punter thinks, is that even smack?

Wile_E_Coyote
09-09-2005, 11:46 AM
here's a article that talks about both punters

http://www.giants.com/news/nfl_news/story.asp?story_id=8496

Bowser
09-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Meh. Ronnie Cruz will take pleasure in putting this Aussie punter on his ass.

Biggs
09-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Jet fan here. Graham was one of the great in camp stories this year. He was a big time Australian Rugby player. The first day in camp he asked what's with all the equitment refering to the helmet and shoulder pads. The guy is clearly nuts and can't wait to mix it up. By the way he is huge and kicks the crap out of the ball. There have been fumbles all over the place during the preseason. Justin Miller who was going to be our starting PR this year basically lost the job because he couldn't hold on to Grahams punts during camp.

Hall should be fine but Graham can and will bring a load on someone if he gets a chance.

Bowser
09-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Jet fan here. Graham was one of the great in camp stories this year. He was a big time Australian Rugby player. The first day in camp he asked what's with all the equitment refering to the helmet and shoulder pads. The guy is clearly nuts and can't wait to mix it up. By the way he is huge and kicks the crap out of the ball. There have been fumbles all over the place during the preseason. Justin Miller who was going to be our starting PR this year basically lost the job because he couldn't hold on to Grahams punts during camp.

Hall should be fine but Graham can and will bring a load on someone if he gets a chance.

Sounds exactly like OUR rookie punter. It would appear that neither team is going to have an advantage due to strange punts.

Fat Elvis
09-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Holy crap...he's Australian AND left-footed?!? That completely negates the reverse spin because he's from below the equator theory...

We're DOOOMED!

Dammit Carl!

Naw, he just kicks it so hard that it approaches the speed of light causing the increased mass of the football to generate a gravitational singularity collapsing space in on itself and propelling the ball through a wormhole making appear just about anywhere in the stadium. So yeah, it is a little harder to catch.

bringbackmarty
09-09-2005, 12:08 PM
This is such total bull shit, we all know that the jets won't be punting on sunday with all of the interceptions and fumbles our defense is gonna cause.
and do you really think herm is gonna say okay, kick it to him and be the first guy to get burned by dante this year. If the game is close, they will be kicking it out of bounds.

HarryParatestes
09-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Gee..... smart fella. Put a bull's eye on yourself and dare 10 big fast pissed-off special teams players to plow you.

Is Dante so good..other teams have to IMPORT players to punt against him?

Oh yeaaaa....

Fire Me Boy!
09-09-2005, 12:12 PM
I think I'm less excited about seeing Dante run by Graham than the first time he jukes Blaylock out of his shoes... I don't know why.

ArrowheadHawk
09-09-2005, 12:15 PM
lets go dante!

Fire Me Boy!
09-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Gee..... smart fella. Put a bull's eye on yourself and dare 10 big fast pissed-off special teams players to plow you.

Is Dante so good..other teams have to IMPORT players to punt against him?

Oh yeaaaa....
Will the "crazy white boy" be running down on punt returns? That would be awesome...

And, does anyone other than me think of Jon Favreau from The Replacements when the hear about Boomer Grigsby?

http://www.movieforum.com/movies/titles/thereplacements/images/jonfavreau.jpg

Chest Rockwell
09-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Naw, he just kicks it so hard that it approaches the speed of light causing the increased mass of the football to generate a gravitational singularity collapsing space in on itself and propelling the ball through a wormhole making appear just about anywhere in the stadium. So yeah, it is a little harder to catch.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEDD!!!!!!!!!11!!11

Plus dude is 6-5/230.

Crikey.

Lzen
09-09-2005, 12:17 PM
I don't think Aussies are wusses like most punters or kickers. And I don't think either returner will have much problems since they both see them in practice. This is a non-issue, IMO.

jynni
09-09-2005, 12:21 PM
So why did we have to spend a draft pick on Colquitt (for the record - I think it was a very good pick) if all the Jets had to do was go down under?

Or am I missing something here?

Chest Rockwell
09-09-2005, 12:27 PM
So why did we have to spend a draft pick on Colquitt (for the record - I think it was a very good pick) if all the Jets had to do was go down under?

Colquitt already played football, so I guess maybe he's more of a known quantity than trying to transition someone. If it were that easy wouldn't everybody do it?

I suppose it also depends on your morals and who you have to go down (under) on.

greg63
09-09-2005, 12:40 PM

We're DOOOMED!

Yup! ROFL

DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEDD!!!!!!!!!11!!11

Plus dude is 6-5/230.

Crikey.

Yup, again! ROFL

I don't think Aussies are wusses like most punters or kickers. And I don't think either returner will have much problems since they both see them in practice. This is a non-issue, IMO.

A non-issue, haven't you read the above posts??? Were doomed!:(ROFL:p

…Yup, as non-an-issue as it can get.

Wile_E_Coyote
09-09-2005, 12:42 PM

Or am I missing something here?Colquitt comes from a family of punters, his father has NFL experience(Pitt-6 years, 2 SB rings). Graham is 31 & won't be around as long

keg in kc
09-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Jesus, can we play the game already. We're spending a whole thread on a f*cking punter.

Piper
09-09-2005, 12:53 PM

Graham has been coming to Spring practices and traning camp for a couple of years now(I think this was his third) to learn the craft.

Calcountry
09-09-2005, 01:29 PM
If that's punter smack-talk, I don't ever want to hear smack from a punter again.

I hope Dante gets the opportunity to wave at Graham as he runs by into the endzone.ROFL

ArrowheadHawk
09-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Jesus, can we play the game already. We're spending a whole thread on a f*cking punter.
i second that motion...but until i invent a time machine we will have to wait

beer bacon
09-09-2005, 01:34 PM
It is going to suck if we find out every week that the opposing team has also picked up a left-footed punter with an odd spin. I thought Colquitt was a unique butterfly. Damnit Carl! :cuss:

Calcountry
09-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Graham is also left-legged, so Dante should be fairly used to the spin.

However, he is 6-5 230 and if he played half-back for 12 years in the particularly brutal sport of Aussie Rules he is no stranger to taking a hit. There is no "punter" position in Aussie Rules. Half-back is sort of a mid-fielder type position, responsible for catching the ball (without the benefit of those pesky pass interference rules that Randy Moss enjoys) and kicking the ball, usually on the run with a bunch of dudes trying to kill him.He should take the lesson of the Colts punter from the playoffs a couple of years ago. STFU and maybe you won't have to punt. That is what is good for NFL teams, no punting at all dude. Can't wait to punt, I can't wait to see you punt, it means your O sucked and couldn't get a first down you Aussie dipshit. They should have denied him his Visa, an American punter surely would have known this. :rolleyes:

Chest Rockwell
09-09-2005, 01:38 PM
It is going to suck if we find out every week that the opposing team has also picked up a left-footed punter with an odd spin. I thought Colquitt was a unique butterfly. Damnit Carl! :cuss:

No kidding. And theirs is Australian, which is waaaaay cooler than Tenneseeean. They can do the "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oy, Oy, Oy" chant and everything. What do we get? "Rocky ****ing Top?" Not bloody likely.

Their punter is teh own3z of left-footed punters. I'm thinking of switching sides.

Calcountry
09-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Jesus, can we play the game already. We're spending a whole thread on a f*cking punter.I was thinking the same thing.

ChiefsKing
09-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Hey give the punter a break, afterall he is going to be on every highlight on ESPN when Dante takes one to the house!

mcan
09-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Oh my GOD! There is no way we can win this game if they have a punter like THAT! :rolleyes:

I'm sure the Jets will be glad to know that they will get to see their precious punter EVERY SERIES! :clap:

Also, I'm wondering, can this guy play defensive back too? I mean, they could probalby use some help covering Gonzalez this week.

PastorMikH
09-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Oh my GOD! There is no way we can win this game if they have a punter like THAT! :rolleyes:

I'm sure the Jets will be glad to know that they will get to see their precious punter EVERY SERIES! :clap:

Also, I'm wondering, can this guy play defensive back too? I mean, they could probalby use some help covering Gonzalez this week.

I personally would be tickeled to death if Dante was forced to deal with his punts every time the Jets offense takes the field.

AND if he gets the chance to lay a lick to Dante, that means Dante has already slipped past the other 10 players, one more shouldn't be too much problem.

I also hope our new punter never sees the field.

ArrowheadHawk
09-09-2005, 04:43 PM
I personally would be tickeled to death if Dante was forced to deal with his punts every time the Jets offense takes the field.

AND if he gets the chance to lay a lick to Dante, that means Dante has already slipped past the other 10 players, one more shouldn't be too much problem.

I also hope our new punter never sees the field.
amen to that