PDA

View Full Version : OMG! PBR on draught!

dtebbe
09-09-2005, 08:47 PM
We were feeling like a sammich tonite, so we checked out this new place in our area called Locos Bar & Grille. I guess it's a local chain that started life in Athens, GA home of UGA. So, I decide to have a cold one, and low and behold THEY HAD PBR ON DRAUGHT! I honestly don't think I've ever seen PBR on tap before. I mean, I love Old Style on tap, but I don't know about PBR. Does anyone remember Red White & Blue, the "poor man's" PBR?

"I've got a taste for livin', I've got PBR on my mind....."

DT

RedDread
09-09-2005, 08:48 PM
:Lin:

Phobia
09-09-2005, 08:50 PM
As a beer snob, I have to say a PBR draught isn't the worst swill I've tasted.

Zebedee DuBois
09-09-2005, 08:52 PM
When I was a young unsophisticated Iowa beer drinker 20+ years ago, I enjoyed many a cold can of PBR. It fulfilled my requirements of being cold, and putting a buzz in my head.
When I moved to Kansas, I discovered that PBR suddenly tasted like crap. Different brewery? Longer shelf time? I don't know, but I haven't had a PBR since. ....and I am still unsophisticamated.

dtebbe
09-09-2005, 08:54 PM
When I was a young unsophisticated Iowa beer drinker 20+ years ago, I enjoyed many a cold can of PBR. It fulfilled my requirements of being cold, and putting a buzz in my head.
When I moved to Kansas, I discovered that PBR suddenly tasted like crap. Different brewery? Longer shelf time? I don't know, but I haven't had a PBR since. ....and I am still unsophisticamated.

I don't think I've had it since I was 10. Of coarse back then it tasted great :drool:

DT

Phobia
09-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Next time you go back, ask for a shot glass to sample it. That's what I did at BW3 recently. It was good, but there were too many other good choices for me to spend money on it.

dtebbe
09-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Next time you go back, ask for a shot glass to sample it. That's what I did at BW3 recently. It was good, but there were too many other good choices for me to spend money on it.

Most draft beer tastes fine if it's really cold. But let it get just a little on the warm side, and watch out. I ended up having a tenants tonite. Been a while, it was pretty tasty.

DT

StcChief
09-09-2005, 09:36 PM
In college (70s) known as Pabst Blue Armpit.

Headache waiting to happen.

mikey23545
09-09-2005, 09:47 PM
I really think PBR has changed their recipe in the last few years....I too remember it as being nasty back in the 70's, but the last few years I've pretty much enjoyed it in bottles...

Katipan
09-09-2005, 09:49 PM
We had a trendy bar here that was open for like 3 seconds. Snooty. Expensive. All the bartenders were blonde and half naked.

They had PBR on tap.

nbkc fan
09-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Joe Jost's - Long Beach, CA

PBR on tap

KC Jones
09-09-2005, 09:58 PM
When I was a waiter at Venue (one of only 2 or 3 restaurants in KC history to ever earn a full 4 star rating), we had PBR on draught. It was partly joke, but our wine steward was also adamant that of the cheap domestic lagers it was the best.

eazyb81
09-09-2005, 10:02 PM
My local dive here in KC (Stable's downtown) has PBR draft. It never really seemed out of place to me, it is certainly the type of place that would have a lot of PBR fans.

gblowfish
09-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Hy-Vee has PBR in cans, 12-pack for $5.00
Right next to the Schlitz, Milwaukee's Best and Natty Light.

I used to drink Busch in longnecks in college at Mizzou. Usually did a case a week.

Now it takes me a six weeks to go through a 12-pack of good beer..
Usually buy Boulevard Wheat, Schlafly Pale Ale from St. Louis, or Newcastle or Bass if I can catch it on sale.

Newcastle Brown for this Sunday's tailgate.

Bearcat2005
09-09-2005, 10:58 PM
We were feeling like a sammich tonite, so we checked out this new place in our area called Locos Bar & Grille. I guess it's a local chain that started life in Athens, GA home of UGA. So, I decide to have a cold one, and low and behold THEY HAD PBR ON DRAUGHT! I honestly don't think I've ever seen PBR on tap before. I mean, I love Old Style on tap, but I don't know about PBR. Does anyone remember Red White & Blue, the "poor man's" PBR?

"I've got a taste for livin', I've got PBR on my mind....."

DT

PBR is second hand beer. someone once drank a beer and pissed it out and that is what your drinking.

keg in kc
09-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Now it takes me a six weeks to go through a 12-pack of good beer..Yeah, I'm like that too, now. It's kind of weird.

Nzoner
09-09-2005, 11:41 PM
boogity boogity boogity

el borracho
09-10-2005, 01:54 AM
PBR has somehow managed a renaissance in the last few years. it is served at she-she art galleries in NYC and is on tap virtually everywhere in Denver.

Miles
09-10-2005, 02:10 AM
The bar I was at tonight had it on tap. Not that it was worth drinking over the New Belgium beer and Stella.

Rausch
09-10-2005, 02:12 AM
The shiznit...

NewChief
09-10-2005, 05:52 AM
Congrats. You're trendy. ;) BTW, I like PBR and Old Style as well, though I prefer Old Style. Unfortunately, they're getting expensive becaus of this retro cool shit. Old Style used to be $2.50 for a six of bottles here. Now it's over $4.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2005-06-12-retro-beer-usat_x.htm

Marketers use word of mouth to pop the top on retro beer
ALBANY, N.Y. — A line of taps pouring elegant brews from Bass to Blue Moon beckon twentysomethings packing

Bomber's bar. But 21-year-old Elliot Cunniff orders something homier for himself and a friend.

By Jim McKnight, AP
"Two Yuenglings," he tells the bartender. Its appeal, he says: "Price. Color. Flavor. And the name alone, 'ying-ling.' " He doesn't come out and say it, but it's apparent as other Yuengling orders roll in: Old school brews are cool.

Just as young consumers might wear '70s-look sneakers or sip '50s cocktails, many are bellying up to the bar for the beers Grandpa drank — maybe a Rheingold, a Leinenkugel's or a Utica Club.

They're sometimes called "retro beers," brands that might bring to mind old men in ribbed undershirts but are finding new life with the young. It worked for Pabst Blue Ribbon, and now others are trying.

Reviving an old beer brand avoids the cost of launching a new product, but the trick is doing it right. Word of mouth seems to work best. TV ads with the Swedish bikini team are a big no-no.

"That's the whole point of the retro thing, I think," said Eric Shepard of trade publication Beer Marketer's Insights. "The harder you try to push it, the more skeptical people are going to get."

These are not the happiest days for brewers. Sales are growing slowly and spirits are gaining ground. Beer's share of the alcohol market dropped from 56% in 1999 to 52.9% last year, according to the Distilled Spirits Council.

Among the few recent bright spots is the quirky story of Pabst. It caught on early this decade with young hipsters in Portland, Ore., and its popularity spread. Without any initial prompting, "PBR" became a symbol of authenticity and cool. It's had double-digit growth every year since 2003, says Pabst brand manager Neal Stewart.

Consumers like these beers in part because they cost less. They also can play on fond memories of simpler days, said Darrell Jursa, managing partner at Liquid Intelligence, a Chicago marketing agency with Pabst as a client.

Jursa also mentions that you are what you drink.

"You can pay a couple of bucks and you can hold a can in the air and it's a badge, 'I'm retro and I'm cool and I'm chic,' " Jursa said.

The challenge for brewers is to tap into that. Pabst did by tailoring marketing to its young drinkers. It sponsored skateboarding film premieres, Vespa scooter rallies and art gallery openings.

"I had guys get in my face and tell me if we ever advertised on TV, they'd beat me up," Stewart said.

While Stewart doesn't think the Pabst playbook will work for every brand, others are at least trying to capitalize on venerable names.

Pabst's brands also include Seattle-based Rainier, which is running the nostalgic "Remember Rainier" campaign (the Web site suggests enjoying a can to the sounds of Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd). Leinenkugel's, a Wisconsin-based subsidiary of Miller Brewing, has introduced retro packaging. Even giant Anheuser-Busch rolled out retro Budweiser cans this year and recycled a 1956 commercial featuring a crooning nightclub quartet.

One brand that hopes lightning can strike again is Utica Club in Upstate New York. Once a big seller in the Northeast, it was down to selling 100,000 cases annually just a few years ago. Most buyers were age 55-plus. Then, Pabst-like, it picked up with younger people, and sales are up 9% from last year, said Fred Matt, vice president of Matt Brewing in Utica, N.Y.

Matt said the company is contemplating a modest ad campaign but nothing that would kill the positive buzz. "More than anything," he said, "we're just letting it go by word of mouth."

Rheingold, a resurrected New York City brand, brought back the Miss Rheingold competition, a popular 1940s-through-1960s promotion, as it tried to win over trendy young urbanites.

"You look at what the big beers are doing, and you don't want to fall into that sort of same theme, where you don't really stand out," said Norm Snyder, chief operating officer at Rheingold Brewing.

Snyder said making Rheingold retro is not the main goal; rather it's making the name synonymous with New York City.

Similarly, while Pennsylvania-based Yuengling ("America's Oldest Brewery") might advertise on progressive rock stations in one market, its commercials might be broadcast between Sinatra songs elsewhere, said Chief Operating Officer David Casinelli.

Neither brand wants to bet it all on something as fickle as retro.

Baby Lee
09-10-2005, 06:01 AM
No we don't fit in with that white collar crowd
We're a little too rowdy and a little too loud
There's no place that I'd rather be
than right here
with my rednecks
white socks
and blue ribbon beer

Bwana
09-10-2005, 06:22 AM
That stuff is vile, but not as bad as this was:

Braincase
09-10-2005, 07:18 AM
I'll have a Schmidt, and Grampa wants a Grain Belt.

gblowfish
09-10-2005, 07:52 AM
Pabst: The only beer you have to drink blindfolded!

andoman
09-10-2005, 09:01 AM
As a kid in the St. Louis area I got to see a lot of commercials for this stuff:
<table>
<td>
<td>
http://www.antique-hangups.com/1098.jpg
</td>
<td>
http://www.breweriana.com/bottles/bottlestagbeer.jpg
</td>
</tr>
</table>

KC Jones
09-10-2005, 09:28 AM
http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/schaefer.jpg

For when you're having more than one!

:Lin:

mlyonsd
09-10-2005, 09:33 AM
As a kid in the St. Louis area I got to see a lot of commercials for this stuff:
<table>
<td>
<td>
http://www.antique-hangups.com/1098.jpg
</td>
<td>
</tr>
</table>

When I was a young lad my friend and I collected beer cans. He ended up telling me I could have them so all 500+ are displayed on shelves I built in my shop.

And yes, we have that white/gold Falstaff can.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-10-2005, 09:44 AM
For 'lawn mowing beer' I like slamming an icy PBR or Schlitz. Chase that with a more leisurely Boulevard.

Bwana
09-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Did any of you ever have the displeasure of drinking a "Billy Beer?" :shake: I think that swill would take the paint off a car. Even worse than that was Brown Derby. I think is was a Safeway brand, but my Gawd was it rancid. That crap would knock the hair off your twins.

mlyonsd
09-10-2005, 09:53 AM
IMO thare are very few beers I've had that I would consider "bad".

Beer has become too Americanized. By that I mean weakened in flavor. That all started during WWII when a good share of the beer drinkers went over seas. Beer companies here in the US had to make it more palatable for women, since they were in the majority. Hence, beer changed forever here in the states.

If you were to go into an English pub and try handing out free Miller Lite they'd laugh you out of the place.

Katipan
09-10-2005, 01:12 PM
The price of PBR kegs has been driven up by the yuppie f*ckers who decided it was trendy a couple years ago to drink PBR. Sunsabitches. Can't even let the white trash keep cheap beer.

Giligin's has PBR on tap.

I never make it past the shot wheel

Nzoner
09-10-2005, 01:22 PM
here's some swill from my college days,nasty

http://www.askuncleralph.com/buckhorn_beer_can.jpg

http://www.schlafly.com/images/history/label-goetz.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/766ul

Valiant
09-10-2005, 01:34 PM
PBR will skunk if it gets one degree warmer..

My great uncle when I was a kid at the lake had a shed with four friges in it, one was for worms and the other three were always stocked with PBR, we are talking a good twenty cases at all times...

Katipan
09-10-2005, 02:06 PM
I think you should go up on a Wednesday and play Wheel of Fear Factor.

And I think you should have gotten 2:1 lapdances with the proceeds from the door and dances going to The Red Cross.

The master gets sunday's off for football starting next weekend. As soon as you come over, pretend to be as gay as possible, and he'll let me run around the city with you.

Raiderhater
09-10-2005, 04:33 PM
How gay is gay enough? Can I just compliment your curtains or something?

LOL!

redbrian
09-10-2005, 04:38 PM
IMO thare are very few beers I've had that I would consider "bad".

Beer has become too Americanized. By that I mean weakened in flavor.

I concur with you on this.

Here is a little test that 99.9% of your avg. American beer drinker (drinking an American style beer) will fail.

Take three like beers (one being your preferred brand); have them presented in a blind taste test manner.

In this test you must pick your brand out of the three, in addition to remove chance from the equation you must do it successfully three times in a row.

Katipan
09-10-2005, 06:24 PM
How gay is gay enough? Can I just compliment your curtains or something?

I was hoping for a drop your c... grab your socks thing. But I do have nice curtains.