PDA

View Full Version : Who will lead the Chiefs in sacks this year?

Rain Man
09-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Yeah. Another poll. I just finished a work deadline, and the polls are just bursting to get out of me today.

RealSNR
09-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Wait for the Rich Scanlon option.....

Waaaaait for it.....

Rain Man
09-10-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm going to buck the Scanlon odds and go with Kendrell Bell.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-10-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm going to buck the Scanlon odds and go with Kendrell Bell.

I'll take the rookie

htismaqe
09-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Wilkerson will end up starting most of the season, helping to shore up the run defense. Kendrell Bell will clean up and finish with 12 sacks.

RealSNR
09-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I thought about voting for Rich, and then my brain froze and decided to answer the poll truthfully.

I say Carlos Hall. I think he'll be starting by midseason. I don't think he'll have 10 sacks, but it will be the most on the team.

Hydrae
09-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Jared Allen will be in on passing downs at least. With the new found push in the middle from Sims, Allen will get at least 12 sacks for the year.

Hammock Parties
09-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Jared Allen. He's still going to see a lot of playing time, especially when the coaching staff realizes Jimmy Wilkerson is a decent player, but not starting material.

I'm thinking our sack totals are going to be spread across the board, and it's probably better that way anyway.

LBs - 15
DTs - 10
DEs- 15
DBS - 10

htismaqe
09-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Jared Allen. He's still going to see a lot of playing time, especially when the coaching staff realizes Jimmy Wilkerson is a decent player, but not starting material.

I'm thinking our sack totals are going to be spread across the board, and it's probably better that way anyway.

LBs - 15
DTs - 10
DEs- 15
DBS - 10

Allen is a liability against the run and for that reason alone, no one will unseat Wilkerson...

Hammock Parties
09-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Allen is a liability against the run and for that reason alone, no one will unseat Wilkerson...

I don't think Wilkerson is all that great.

Rain Man
09-10-2005, 10:56 AM

Burn the heretic.

htismaqe
09-10-2005, 11:05 AM

He isn't. But he's better than Allen at the one thing that matters most to me -- stopping the run.

foxman
09-10-2005, 11:14 AM
I sure hope a Linebacker doesnt lead the team in sacks. I'd like to think our line can create enough pressure to not have to blitz as much. That should take care of the run and the dump passes.

htismaqe
09-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I sure hope a Linebacker doesnt lead the team in sacks. I'd like to think our line can create enough pressure to not have to blitz as much. That should take care of the run and the dump passes.

A LB led our team in sacks all through the 90's.

Kendrell Bell will be used much the same way Derrick Thomas was...

foxman
09-10-2005, 11:22 AM
A LB led our team in sacks all through the 90's.

Kendrell Bell will be used much the same way Derrick Thomas was...

Look at the pressure the Panthers D-line gets. Ravens more of the same. Check out the Iggles D as well as Pittsburgh.

Now the Ealges and the Steelers are very well known for blitzing, but the Panthers and Ravens have been able to create more pressure using the front 4. Not saying they don't need to blitz, but idealy I think the goal is to be able to get after it without exposing the middle and the flats for those cheap dump plays and screens that can kill a blitzing agressive defense. The other aspect is that if our front 4 can create pressure then that makes our blitzes that much more impactful and allowes our defensive backfield to do something we havent done much of.....stop receivers from catching the darn pass. I think the DB's best friend is the the front 4.

Just my idea of solid defense.

foxman
09-10-2005, 11:24 AM
One other thing I will say. I have watched every Panther game since day one more or less. The Panthers DB's the year they went to the Super Bowl, were nothing special. I would say the DB's we had last year were better than what the Panthers were using and yet they played pretty darned good football. I can't imagine what the differance was....can you?

Eleazar
09-10-2005, 11:29 AM
One other thing I will say. I have watched every Panther game since day one more or less. The Panthers DB's the year they went to the Super Bowl, were nothing special. I would say the DB's we had last year were better than what the Panthers were using and yet they played pretty darned good football. I can't imagine what the differance was....can you?

Jenkins, Peppers, Rucker, Buckner

If we had a front 4 like that this team would be hell on wheels

el borracho
09-10-2005, 11:36 AM
OK, who voted for Hicks? Fess up so I can (neg)rep you.

Rain Man
09-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Jenkins, Peppers, Rucker, Buckner

If we had a front 4 like that this team would be hell on wheels

Well, maybe not Buckner.

That's a guy that's hard to figure out. How did he go from okay (with the Steelers or whomever) to suckish with about six teams, and now all of a sudden he's a starter for a strong defense and is making dumb commercials?

Eleazar
09-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Well, maybe not Buckner.

That's a guy that's hard to figure out. How did he go from okay (with the Steelers or whomever) to suckish with about six teams, and now all of a sudden he's a starter for a strong defense and is making dumb commercials?

Well, he's not that great now either. Probably just a case of having a pro bowler on either side making him look better.

Rain Man
09-10-2005, 12:06 PM
OK, who voted for Hicks? Fess up so I can (neg)rep you.

It was cochise. He also said that your username in English means, "The Bore."

Simplex3
09-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Trent Green. Duh.

el borracho
09-10-2005, 12:52 PM
It was cochise. He also said that your username in English means, "The Bore."
He is really pushing it. He voted for some Canadian backup linebacker in the "Who will lead the Chiefs in tackles this season" poll.

htismaqe
09-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Look at the pressure the Panthers D-line gets. Ravens more of the same. Check out the Iggles D as well as Pittsburgh.

Now the Ealges and the Steelers are very well known for blitzing, but the Panthers and Ravens have been able to create more pressure using the front 4. Not saying they don't need to blitz, but idealy I think the goal is to be able to get after it without exposing the middle and the flats for those cheap dump plays and screens that can kill a blitzing agressive defense. The other aspect is that if our front 4 can create pressure then that makes our blitzes that much more impactful and allowes our defensive backfield to do something we havent done much of.....stop receivers from catching the darn pass. I think the DB's best friend is the the front 4.

Just my idea of solid defense.

Well, you're just going to have to get over it because there's not a chance in hell you'll see it from the Chiefs...

The Panthers run a 4-3 zone base. The idea is for the front 4 to do all the work - rush the passer and stuff the gaps - freeing up the LB's to clean up. It's EXACTLY the way the Iowa Hawkeyes play defense.

And while I much prefer that style of defense, it's the EXACT OPPOSITE of Gunther's man-pressure scheme.