PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Playing Vermeil Ball

Kerberos
09-12-2005, 05:38 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/09/12/gretz_playing_vermeil_ball/

There are two foundation pillars to what Dick Vermeil believes in football. He calls it playing smart and playing tough.

On a hot, muggy opening day afternoon at Arrowhead Stadium, the Chiefs played Dick Vermeil football to the core. Their victory over the New York Jets was built on Vermeil football and a Gunther Cunningham defense that showed again that things are different on that side of the ball.

Not even Vermeil expected what he got against the Jets. The Chiefs head coach admitted during the days leading up to the opener that he was anxious, out of sorts, a little concerned about how it was all going to come together. There were some – yours truly included – that couldn’t understand how the offense could come out and be expected to play to its normal level of execution with so little time together in the pre-season.

The Chiefs proved that concern was misplaced. In their first three offensive possessions, they rolled down the field and scored on a 35-yard Larry Johnson TD run, a 3-yard Priest Holmes TD run and a Lawrence Tynes field goal. Early in the second quarter the game was 17-0 and the Jets had no chance to catch up.

That’s because Vermeil’s team played Vermeil football. Last year, the Jets under Vermeil protégé Herman Edwards played smarter and tougher football better than the Chiefs did. That’s one reason they were only a field goal away from making the AFC Championship Game.

That wasn’t the case this time.

Cunningham’s defense allowed 390 yards and the Jets threw for 333 yards. But Chad Pennington was harassed during his time on the field, turning the ball over three times on a pair of fumbles and a Patrick Surtain interception. Overall, the Jets fumbled the ball seven times, with Pennington having six of those.

Three different times the Jets got inside the Chiefs 10-yard line and came away with no points, giving the ball up on a fumble and twice on downs. The defense was flying to the ball and there were not the missed tackles so prevalent over the last few seasons. They had problems handling tight end Chris Baker, who burned them for seven catches and 124 yards and the only New York touchdown of the game with less than a minute remaining to play.

The only discouraging notes from the game were the injuries that popped up. Willie Roaf left in the first quarter with a pulled hamstring, Tony Richardson was removed because of a right knee sprain, Surtain finished off his interception return with a concussion and Ryan Sims left in the first quarter with a right foot injury.

But for a regular season opener, it doesn’t get much better than what the Chiefs got accomplished against the Jets. If they keep playing Vermeil football, there should be more successful Sundays ahead.

:D

Gaz
09-12-2005, 06:24 AM
He is a terrific Coach and we are so lucky to have him.

xoxo~
Gaz
Might just cry a little bit.

mlyonsd
09-12-2005, 06:48 AM
Call me the pessimest. Our D is better, but I wouldn't get all warm and fuzzy about it just yet. The next two games are bigger than the Jets game.

Gaz
09-12-2005, 06:51 AM
...Our D is better...

That is sufficient reason for me to get all warm and fuzzy.

xoxo~
Gaz
Really needed a good Chiefs D fix.

KC Kings
09-12-2005, 07:03 AM
Call me the pessimest. Our D is better, but I wouldn't get all warm and fuzzy about it just yet. The next two games are bigger than the Jets game.

You are crazy. As long as our D plays like that every week (and the Qb has 6 fumbles, two turn overs and two dropped TD passes) we will be superbowl bound!

trndobrd
09-12-2005, 07:12 AM
This defense looks capable of forcing any offense in the league to punt atleast once a game.

Rausch
09-12-2005, 07:25 AM

And if we win 1 of the next three we finish our brutal 4 game stretch at 2-2.

And honestly, that's about the best any of us were predicting. Matter of fact, that's a start good enough to make a run for the division... :)

teedubya
09-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Id like to see this d give us fewer yards in the next couple games... albeit it was very nice to see this game in person... this D is ferocious... just needs to give up a few less yards. 390 is like 25th most overall given up.

Rausch
09-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Id like to see this d give us fewer yards in the next couple games... albeit it was very nice to see this game in person... this D is ferocious... just needs to give up a few less yards. 390 is like 25th most overall given up.

Again, remember that this is the first game this team has played together. They will only get better as the year goes on.

The longer this group plays together and gels the more you'll start to see the defensive stats look better on Monday...

Wesley is in a new position and learning.

DJ was a rookie in his first NFL game.

Surtain, Knight, Hall, and Bell were in their first game together in this scheme as Chiefs.

K. Mitchell is young and learning.

And we still damn near shut out the Jets. Only better things lie ahead...

oldandslow
09-12-2005, 07:48 AM
And if we win 1 of the next three we finish our brutal 4 game stretch at 2-2.

And honestly, that's about the best any of us were predicting. Matter of fact, that's a start good enough to make a run for the division... :)

Exactly. If we can beat either the Raiders or Broncos, I really like our chances. And to be honest, I think the Denver game is quite winnable. They looked like crap yesterday.