PDA

View Full Version : So, the Chiefs are ranked...

Donger
09-12-2005, 02:13 PM
6th on rush defense, but 30th on pass defense so far? What's the reason for this?

I would have thought that the additions of Surtain and Knight would have made a greater impact. Is McCleon to blame?

BTW, I'm not trying to be negative; it's just a newbie question, I suppose.

Thanks.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Do you ever watch the games?

Phobia
09-12-2005, 02:15 PM
The Chiefs gave up a lot of passing yards?

Donger
09-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Do you ever watch the games?

When I can, yes. I live in Denver, so I don't get to see many of them.

Why do you ask?

Rain Man
09-12-2005, 02:17 PM
The Jets were behind the whole game, so they passed a lot.

Dr. Johnny Fever
Why do you ask?
Because I wondered.

Donger
The Chiefs gave up a lot of passing yards?

ROFL

Yes, I understand that. I suppose I'm asking if anyone is surprised that even with the additions of Surtain and Knight, the Chiefs still gave up that many.

ChiefsGirl
Surtain didn't play the second half.

htismaqe
Surtain missed a good portion of the game due to injury.

And we gave up 120 yards to their TE, primarily because our OLB's (Fox/Bell and DJ) struggled a bit with the coverage...

Finally, we gave up 80-some yards to Jay Fiedler in garbage time, well after the game was out of reach.

IMO, it's stuff that will get better as Bell and DJ get acclimated to the scheme.

Besides, it's passing yards. One of the least meaningful statistics in all of sports.

Here's a couple of nuggets that will make you feel better:

We gave up less than 60 yards rushing. We gave up less than 2.5 yards per carry. And we gave up zero rushing TD's.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-12-2005, 02:18 PM
... and every now and then they wouldn't even drop the ball.

ChiefsCountry
09-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Jets were down, had to pass. Its pretty simple most good teams give up alot of passing yards bc they are ahead.

Donger
09-12-2005, 02:19 PM

Ah. I wasn't aware of that.

Donger
09-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Besides, it's passing yards. One of the least meaningful statistics in all of sports.

I'm beginning to understand that. Thanks for the information.

dtebbe
09-12-2005, 02:21 PM
6th on rush defense, but 30th on pass defense so far? What's the reason for this?

Thanks.
In a word:

Dexter McCleon

DT

vckcchiefs04
09-12-2005, 02:26 PM

I would have thought that the additions of Surtain and Knight would have made a greater impact. Is McCleon to blame?

Thanks.
Very simple..... The pass defense was fine in the first half, then Surtain was out for the entire second half, so we had to deal with Washington as the #2 corner. Jets did not run at all int he second half because of their needing points...... and the Chiefs had the "ugly" prevent defense in full effect for the entire 4th quarter. Easy to figure out.

Dave Lane
09-12-2005, 02:27 PM
In a word:

Dexter McCleon

DT

No Dewayne Washington

Dave

jynni
09-12-2005, 02:30 PM
In a word:

Dexter McCleon

DT
or Dewayne Washington. Pick your poison.

Ack - too slow - Dave types faster!

CoMoChief
09-12-2005, 02:37 PM
You guys arent looking at the big picture here. L. Coles SHOULD have had 2 TD receptions and if that were to happen, we wouldnt be sitting here saying the passing defense is fine. We couldnt cover their shitty TE IMO. Yes I know the Fiedler passing yds mean jack shit and that they passed more due to that they were behind the whole game by a large amount. We still need to cover them regardless. Theres no reason why we shouldnt have had a shut out in that game. Our pass defense looked bad after Surtain left due to injury. We NEED Surtain to play against Oakland next week or Moss is gonna have a career day against our secondary.

Thig Lyfe
09-12-2005, 02:40 PM

Dexter McCleon

Dewayne Washington

That should about sum it up.

Spicy McHaggis
09-12-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm looking forward to getting Warfield back. He'll finally get to be what's he's always been, a solid number 2.

chiefs4me
09-12-2005, 03:44 PM

Thanks.

we shouldn't care what anybody ranks us...just be happy we are 1-0.:thumb:

Biohazard
09-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Right on C4Me! Ranks don't mean diddly its kinda like watching the preseason game and saying that we are going to suck this year! We keep playing like yesterday and keep the injures down, we are going to give the whole NFL a big surprise!

Shag
09-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Don't forget that we lost Sims, who was providing good pressure up the middle before he went down. The front 4 didn't have much push after he left...

chiefs4me
09-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Right on C4Me! Ranks don't mean diddly its kinda like watching the preseason game and saying that we are going to suck this year! We keep playing like yesterday and keep the injures down, we are going to give the whole NFL a big surprise!

ROFL.......see, we get along just fine.

as long as you agree with everything I say...:p

Pants
09-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Jets WR's were consistently open... they never completed passes because a) Chad overthrew/underthrew
b) The WR's kept dropping very catchable balls

Remeber Herm going, without any hesistation, on 4th and 10 or something like that with the same play as before hoping that the WR's would catch the ball this time witout any hesitation? That's because he knew the reciever would be wide open again... and he was a bit desperate by the start of 4th quarter. I'm saying, we are lucky the Jets didn't destroy us over the air in the 2nd half once Surtain was out. I also realize we put fear into Pennington and his WR's early, that's also why I think he fumbled so many balls - occupied trying to pick up the blitz...

mcan
09-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Several reasons:

1. DeWayne Washington had a terrible time covering Coles.

2. Sims was out, and Siavii was inactive, meaning our front four was TIRED as hell the whole second half. Browning actually had to play END and TACKLE for the first time since Vermeil got here just to get bodies on the field. No pass rush = Plenty of time for the Jets to find open recievers.

3. Our offense wasn't NEARLY as effecient in the second half. We only converted 1 third down the whole second half. That makes defenses TIRED.

4. Our linebackers are young and still pretty green when it comes to coverage. Derrick Johnson was completely in the wrong spot a couple of times on zone coverage. Hopefully those mistakes can be corrected, and frankly I'd rather have talented linebackers who can make open field tackles and occaisionally make a mental mistake.

I'm about to watch the game again, so I'll get a bit more detailed here in a bit...

Valiant
09-12-2005, 08:00 PM

Thanks.

Did you watch the game at all??? And no that is not a newb question, that is a flat out dumb question...

Valiant
09-12-2005, 08:01 PM
ROFL

Yes, I understand that. I suppose I'm asking if anyone is surprised that even with the additions of Surtain and Knight, the Chiefs still gave up that many.

When did surtain go out??? That might have something to do with them passing more easily...

Halfcan
09-12-2005, 08:17 PM
I hate to say it but I posted the Chiefs would only give "Old man Martin 56 yards on the ground, and also said we would keep Peniston to 300 meaningless yards and no td's. Our secondary needs some help on the Wesley/Mcleon side-just like last year. But the only stat that counts is we are ranked number two in points allowed-I will take that any week of the season!

chiefs4me
09-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Did you watch the game at all??? And no that is not a newb question, that is a flat out dumb question...

oh Donger...Valiant has an answer for you....ROFL

milkman
09-12-2005, 08:53 PM

Psst....This isn't a ranking by some media moron, moron.

jiveturkey
09-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Our secondary needs some help on the Wesley/Mcleon side-just like last year.I could have sworn that I saw Wesley and Knight switching sides throughout the game.

:shrug:

mcan
09-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I could have sworn that I saw Wesley and Knight switching sides throughout the game.

They definately did...

BigMeatballDave
09-13-2005, 03:11 AM
You guys arent looking at the big picture here. L. Coles SHOULD have had 2 TD receptions and if that were to happen, we wouldnt be sitting here saying the passing defense is fine. We couldnt cover their shitty TE IMO. Yes I know the Fiedler passing yds mean jack shit and that they passed more due to that they were behind the whole game by a large amount. We still need to cover them regardless. Theres no reason why we shouldnt have had a shut out in that game. Our pass defense looked bad after Surtain left due to injury. We NEED Surtain to play against Oakland next week or Moss is gonna have a career day against our secondary.Coulda-shoulda-woulda. Alot of what-ifs. The fact is, they didn't happen. If Trent doesnt throw that pick and Tynes makes that FG, we'd have one by 30. This is pointless...

chappy
09-13-2005, 03:43 AM
I could have sworn that I saw Wesley and Knight switching sides throughout the game.

Yeah what the hell was up with that?

Mecca
09-13-2005, 03:56 AM
The strong and free safeties routinly switch the side of the field they're on, watch every team they all do it. Strong safety refers to the side of the formation they line up on. Knight lines up according to the strong side of the offensive formation. He lines up on the side the tight end is on because that is the strong side.

It's not madden the 2 safeties don't lineup in the same spot every single time.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2005, 03:59 AM
Knight lines up according to the strong side of the offensive formation. He lines up on the side the tight end is on because that is the strong side.

What if it's a balanced formation, like two tight ends and a WR to each side?

How do you determine strong side then? I'm betting Knight would still line up to his left (offense's right).

Mecca
09-13-2005, 04:04 AM

How do you determine strong side then? I'm betting Knight would still line up to his left (offense's right).

I'd say usually that would be correct, unless you want the free safety on that side for some coverage reason. The free safety is suppose to be the one with the better coverage ability.

chappy
09-13-2005, 04:09 AM
they appeared to be keying more off the WR then the TE

Mecca
09-13-2005, 04:15 AM
Well it's possible they could do it that way based upon what WR matchups they were keying upon. But in general the SS lines up on the strong side of the offensive formation, hence his name Strong Safety.

chappy
09-13-2005, 04:20 AM
yeah i think what we were all refering to was them switching off the WR we all know where a SS lines up

htismaqe
09-13-2005, 05:38 AM

That formation is called the ACE formation... :D

Herzig
09-13-2005, 05:53 AM
The stat I care about the most is W-L. All the rest of them be damned.

chiefs4me
09-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Psst....This isn't a ranking by some media moron, moron.

I don't remember asking you....:harumph:

CoMoChief
09-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Coulda-shoulda-woulda. Alot of what-ifs. The fact is, they didn't happen. If Trent doesnt throw that pick and Tynes makes that FG, we'd have one by 30. This is pointless...

How many passing yards did they have on us? My point is that Coles was WIDE OPEN both times, and 99% of the time any decent WR is gonna make that catch. Suddenly our defense doesn't look so good and we win 28-21. Kinda looks like the last 3 seasons doesn't it? Stats don't lie. I know all that matters is they can pass all they want as long as they don't score (like if we were to get an INT or something in the redzone or something), but it shouldnt come to that. We need to get better in the pass defense game, period. Who the hell is their TE again, Baker??? Who the f*ck is that guy and why couldnt we cover him?!?!

penchief
09-13-2005, 05:23 PM

Because our D played the run better than the pass?

morphius
09-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Something else to keep in mind, lots of fumbles, lots of run stuff's, some sacks makes for some long 2nd and 3rd down so lots of passing downs. It appears most of their yardage came in the 4th quarter, when the game was over.

stevieray
09-13-2005, 05:45 PM
How many passing yards did they have on us? My point is that Coles was WIDE OPEN both times, and 99% of the time any decent WR is gonna make that catch. Suddenly our defense doesn't look so good and we win 28-21. Kinda looks like the last 3 seasons doesn't it? Stats don't lie. I know all that matters is they can pass all they want as long as they don't score (like if we were to get an INT or something in the redzone or something), but it shouldnt come to that. We need to get better in the pass defense game, period. Who the hell is their TE again, Baker??? Who the f*ck is that guy and why couldnt we cover him?!?!

True. stats don't lie. 27-7.

The Chiefs could've played worse than the Jets, but they didn't. Wr's drop passes every game.

Are you defending the Jets, or giving them the benefit of the doubt for their "mistakes", and not giving us the benefit of the doubt for own success?

It sounds like you think they were the better team.