PDA

View Full Version : COMPLETE game breakdown by: Matt McCann

mcan
09-12-2005, 07:12 PM
I've got some time on my hands, I have the game on DVD right next to me, and I'm a complete Chiefs NUT.

SO: Here it is folks. THE WHOLE GAME. Broken down play by play. Please feel free to comment on my takes and add your own at any point. I'll try to be as "coach-like" and complete as possible.

Here's the games info, for starters:

Date: 9/11/2005
New York Jets @ Kansas City Chiefs
Arrowhead Stadium
Start Time: 12:00 PM CST
NFL 2005
Week: 1

Mr. Kotter
09-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Outstanding. So far, anyway. :clap:

unlurking
09-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Outstanding. So far, anyway. :clap:
Yes, very insightful.

:)

mcan
09-12-2005, 07:21 PM
1st Quarter
KC wins toss, elects to Receive, and NYJ elects to defend the West goal.

1-M.Nugent kicks 67 yards from NYJ 30 to KC 3. 82-D.Hall to KC 25 for 22 yards (42-R.Washington).

The return was set to go to the left sideline, and the wedge was set beautifully. Fox blocks his man in the back, and Wilkerson cleans him up, leaving Washington unblocked to make the tackle. Fox should have let his man go and picked up Washington, instead. Dante probably could have had another ten yards. Kudos to Wilkerson for the pancake block.

THIS IS FUN!

|Zach|
09-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Wow, this will take a long time. Its cool though...good luck bud.

siberian khatru
09-12-2005, 07:24 PM
(Checking watch)

unlurking
09-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Wow, talk about having a lot of time on your hands!!

SPchief
09-12-2005, 07:26 PM
this thread might be 200 pages by the time its over

Saulbadguy
09-12-2005, 07:27 PM
You won't finish it.

alnorth
09-12-2005, 07:28 PM
I'll check back tomorrow morning before I leave for work. I'll expect you to have the 3rd quarter done by then.

mcan
09-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Kansas City Chiefs at 15:00, (1st play from scrimmage 14:55)

1-10-KC 25 (14:55) 31-P.Holmes right end to KC 30 for 5 yards (25-K.Rhodes).

We're in our single back 2 TE set with Dunn on the left. Gonzalez is lined up as a slot and goes in motion to the left side. Jets are in a 4-3. It's a pitch to the left. Watching this thing in Slow Motion is freaking beautiful. Tony blows up the linebacker, and both Roaf and Weigman pull out to the left. Roaf hits his man and looks around for another person to block, and doesn't find one. Priest has already run by. Weigman on the other hand hits the first guy and RUNS PAST PRIEST and blocks another guy. Rhodes has to run around several red shirts to get to PRIEST. Notable: By the end of the play, Will Shields has run all the way across the field to find somebody on the left side (about 12 yards downfield) to block... GREAT PLAY.

mcan
09-12-2005, 07:29 PM
I'll check back tomorrow morning before I leave for work. I'll expect you to have the 3rd quarter done by then.

I'm expecting to have the whole thing done by saturday. I'll work on the first few drives tonight...

siberian khatru
09-12-2005, 07:39 PM
I've got good vibes about this drive ... I bet we score on a deep post to Gonzo.

teedubya
09-12-2005, 07:41 PM
great idea... it has only taken you 18 minutes to do One play from scrimmage... keep up the good work.

mcan
09-12-2005, 07:41 PM
2-5-KC 30 (14:15) 31-P.Holmes up the middle to NYJ 35 for 35 yards (26-E.Coleman).

3 WRs for the Chiefs, Richardson is lined up in the slot though making it look like a TRIPS RIGHT... Single back is Holmes (who is lined up about 1/2 yard too deep for my tastes). However, before the snap, Richardson motions back to the fullback spot, putting them both in proper position (the HB needs to line up deep in an I FORM).

The play is a run between LG and LT to Priest. Both linebackers read RUN immediately and swarm to the ball, but WATERS makes the block of a lifetime and clears the linebacker up field about 5 yards, and RICHARDSON pops the other linebacker square and as Priest runs by, the linebacker tries to grab him, but all it takes is a slight shimmy and Priest is off to the races. Sammie Parker makes a FANTASTIC downfield block to turn what should have been a 15 yarder into much more. Dante Hall tries very hard to block Coleman from behind but coudn't catch him...
HUGE GAIN.

mcan
09-12-2005, 07:42 PM
great idea... it has only taken you 18 minutes to do One play from scrimmage... keep up the good work.

Had a quick conversation with my roommate. Sorry about the delay.

FloridaChief
09-12-2005, 07:43 PM
I've got good vibes about this drive

Heh..and I was just thinking that this thread is like watching The Beach Boys "Smile" being born...

SPchief
09-12-2005, 07:43 PM
We're all anticipating to see what happens on the next play!!!

siberian khatru
09-12-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm torn between reading this thread or JimNasium's. I wonder which one I'll finish first?

TQ82
09-12-2005, 07:46 PM
I think Priest is tired. I would put in LJ if I was the coach here.

ChiTown
09-12-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm torn between reading this thread or JimNasium's. I wonder which one I'll finish first?

Actually they were both finished before they started...............

FloridaChief
09-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Heh..and I was just thinking that this thread is like watching The Beach Boys "Smile" being born...

Okay!

First track...

Our Prayer/Gee

By Brian Wilson/William Davis/Morris Levy

(Instrumental)...

shakesthecat
09-12-2005, 07:53 PM

If there was ever a solid arguement to be made in favor of illegal downloading, that album's it. Brian Wilson owes me $13.99 for that sonic train wreck.

Sorry about the hijack, Matt McCann.
Keep up the good work!

Iowanian
09-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey! They're putting Johnson in....I"ve got a feeling he's going to Bust one soon.

siberian khatru
09-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Hey! They're putting Johnson in....I"ve got a feeling he's going to Bust one soon.

Nah, I'm telling you, they're gonna throw deep to Gonzo. I know Saunders, it's his style.

mcan
09-12-2005, 08:00 PM
1-10-NYJ 35 (13:46) 27-L.Johnson left end for 35 yards, TOUCHDOWN. R2
1-L.Tynes extra point is GOOD, Center-83-K.Gammon, Holder-2-D.Colquitt.

NYJ 0 KC 7, 3 plays, 75 yards, 1:21 drive, 1:21 elapsed

Single back is Johnson, Tony Gonzalez is lined up at TE on the Right, and DUNN is lined up as a SLOT/WR, and KRIS WILSON is lined up as a SPLIT END/WR! The Jets look confused as to why our goal line (3 TE) offense looks like a standard 3 wide. Dunn then goes in motion and comes to a stop in a SLOT position. The linebackers are calling out signals and are standing flat footed when the ball is snapped. It's a pitch to the left, Roaf and Waters both get out around the end, while WILSON collapses onto the linebacker who is just standing there, completely helpless, and DUNN seals off the Defensive End. The end is so wide open that ROAF doesn't even find anybody to block until he gets 12 yards downfield, at which point he hits the corner HARD. Johnson then turns on that AFTERBURNER speed and nobody touches him. The play is so well designed that WATERS DIDN'T EVEN BLOCK ANYBODY! 6 points...

siberian khatru
09-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Ah, shit, I can't believe that! Really faked me out.

ArrowheadHawk
09-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Ah, shit, I can't believe that! Really faked me out.
ROFL

mcan
09-12-2005, 08:08 PM
The extra point is good (should have been on the last post). Most of the Jets special teams guys don't even rush the kick, which I find odd... 5 guys just stand there. Weird.

1-L.Tynes kicks 71 yards from KC 30 to NYJ -1. 22-J.Miller to NYJ 29 for 30 yards (21-J.Woods).

The kick is high and sails right to the endzone. The wedge is set in the middle, and Miller runs right up the gut. This guy is QUICK, and runs past his extra blocker. Jerome Woods just gets a hand on the returner before the blocker has a chance to get to him. A bit more patience and perhaps he could have had a much bigger return.

FloridaChief
09-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Heroes And Villains

One of the three 'centerpieces' of the concept....

I've been in this town so long that back in the city,
I've been taken for lost and gone and unknown for a long, long time.
Fell in love years ago with an innocent girl,
From the Spanish and Indian home home of the heroes and villains.

Once at night, Catillian squared the fight,
And she was right in the rain of the bullets that eventually brought her
down.
But she's still dancing in the night, unafraid,
Of what a dude'll do in a town full of heroes and villains.

Heroes and villains, just see what you've done
Heroes and villains, just see what you've done

Stand or fall, I know there shall be peace in the valley,
And it's all an affair of my life with the heroes and villains.

In the cantina, margaritas keep the spirit high.
There I watched her, she spun around and wound in the warmth,
Her body fanned the flame of the dance.
Dance, Margarita, don't you know that I'm in love with you
Dance
You're under arrest!

My children were raised, you know they suddenly rise.
They started slow, long ago, head-to-toe, healthy, wealthy, and often wise.
At three-score and five, I'm very much alive.
I've still got the jive to survive with the heroes and villains.

mcan
09-12-2005, 08:15 PM
New York Jets at 13:39, (1st play from scrimmage 13:33)

1-10-NYJ 29 (13:33) 28-C.Martin up the middle to NYJ 31 for 2 yards (90-R.Sims).

The Jets line up in what looks like a 3 wide, but the slot on the left is a fullback, who motions over to his "FB" position before the snap. Very much like our offense did on Priest's big run. The Chiefs D is lined up in a standard 3-4. The play is a toss left to Martin, and the Chiefs linebackers read it well. Bell gets upfield, and Johnson in particular sheds his block and gets to the other side of the field which is a mishmash of bodies, and forces Martin to cut back inside, where Sims (who was being held and shed his block anyway) met him head on, and brought him down.

siberian khatru
09-12-2005, 08:18 PM
"Well, Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the Buonapartes. But I warn you, if you don't tell me that this means war, if you still try to defend the infamies and horrors perpetrated by that Antichrist- I really believe he is Antichrist- I will have nothing more to do with you and you are no longer my friend, no longer my 'faithful slave,' as you call yourself! But how do you do? I see I have frightened you- sit down and tell me all the news."

mcan
09-12-2005, 08:22 PM
2-8-NYJ 31 (12:56) 10-C.Pennington pass to 33-J.Sowell to KC 41 for 28 yards (99-K.Bell).

The Jets line up in the SAME formation except the extra wideout is on the RIGHT, and run the EXACT SAME motion (FB from slot back to the backfield) as the previous play. Only this time, when the ball is snapped, it is a play-action fake. All of the linemen are pulling left and that fakes out our linebackers (particularly Johnson) and they follow the lineman reading the run. The FB faked a block first and leaked out to the right, where he was WIDE OPEN. This is probably Johnson's assignment, but he was totally fooled by the fake. Bell makes a hell of a run to the opposite side of the field and knocks Sowell out of bounds after the big gain. Great play for the Jets. Great learning experience for Johnson.

mcan
09-12-2005, 08:28 PM
1-10-KC 41 (12:24) 28-C.Martin up the middle to KC 43 for -2 yards (56-D.Johnson, 50-K.Mitchell).

PENALTY on NYJ-33-J.Sowell, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at KC 41 - No Play

Again it was a 3 wide look, but the FB motioned back into the backfield pre-snap. This was a seudo DRAW, where Pennington started off to his right and turned back to his left to hand off to Martin, who took the ball to the right, and got JACKED by Surtain and Mitchell. The hold was again because SIMS had his man beat and was making his way out of the pile. GREAT pursuit by Mitchell, who was free to make the play because the offensive line couldn't block SIMS one on one without holding.

mcan
09-12-2005, 08:36 PM
NOTE: The refs called the wrong number on the previous penalty. They called the lineman who was blocking Johnson (Sowell #33), but the hold was definately against the lineman blocking SIMS (Moore #65). Easy mistake because there was a big crowd at the line.

1-20-NYJ 49 (12:00) 28-C.Martin up the middle to NYJ 49 for no gain (93-J.Browning).

This is the first TRUE 3 wide set that we've seen. No motion pre-snap. The Chiefs are lined up in a nickle. It's a handoff to Martin to the right. Again, RYAN SIMS gets WAY upfield, but overpursues Martin as he gets shoved in the back by #68 Mawea. John Browning crosses behind the line very quickly and dives at Martin's feet and brings him down for a big fat goose egg... ZERO yards.

Frazod
09-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Damn, this is the most creative post-whoring technique I've seen since Jamie started talking to himself. :)

DJay23
09-12-2005, 08:41 PM
[B] ROAF doesn't even find anybody to block until he gets 12 yards downfield, at which point he hits the corner HARD.
I loved watching the replay of this from the end zone cam. Roaf is a scary man to see running at you. When he hit that DB it was like a dumptruck in a head on with a geo metro.

mcan
09-12-2005, 08:43 PM
2-20-NYJ 49 (11:17) 10-C.Pennington sacked at NYJ 41 for -8 yards (29-S.Knight). FUMBLES (29-S.Knight), and recovers at NYJ 41. 10-C.Pennington to NYJ 41 for no gain (97-K.Fox, 29-S.Knight).

Jets show 4 WRs, but one of them is Blaylock. The Chiefs are showing blitz pre-snap with only 3 down linemen. When the ball is snapped, it's a pass. Sims falls down, but Eric Hicks gets around his man and forces Martin (who was on a Max Protect) to help the right side of the JETS O-line. But the blitz was coming from the opposite side (Fox and Knight). The right tackle was able to pick up Fox, but since Knight was coming too, and Martin was busy blocking Hicks, Knight came clean and knocked out the ball for the sack & the fumble. Fox, Allen, and Knight were all there to try and get the ball, but Pennington was able to get the ball back.

mcan
09-12-2005, 08:45 PM
I loved watching the replay of this from the end zone cam. Roaf is a scary man to see running at you. When he hit that DB it was like a dumptruck in a head on with a geo metro.

It's was pretty viscous.

Anyway, the Jets called timeout after the sack/fumble.

BTW, Fraz... I've been here since the board started and don't have half the posts that most people have, so I think I'm entitled... :)

Plus, this is a bit more Chiefs related than RaiderHater's neurosis.

mcan
09-12-2005, 08:52 PM
3-28-NYJ 41 (10:43) 10-C.Pennington pass to 28-C.Martin to NYJ 47 for 6 yards (23-P.Surtain).

The Jets go to a true 4 WR set. Sims is out, and the Chiefs (in a dime) have a bit of a weird D-Lineman set up.

LE = Allen
DT = Wilkerson??
DT = Browning
RE = Hicks ??

Interesting. Anyway it works, because Wilkerson blows up the guard and gets backfield and right into Pennington's lap. Wilkerson gets his hands on Pennington and Allen (who got around the right tackle) wraps up Pennington's knees, but he gets off the shovel pass to Martin who was crossing over the middle. Mitchell was about to be blocked by a WR, but he juked that block like a running back would juke a tackler, and got to Martin at about the same time Surtain was bringing him down. Great job by Surtain to make the play, but Mitchell would have been there just in case. Great 3rd down Defense!

mcan
09-12-2005, 08:57 PM
4-22-NYJ 47 (10:08) 7-B.Graham punts 43 yards to KC 10, Center-85-J.Dearth, fair catch by 82-D.Hall.
PENALTY on KC-55-G.Stills, Offensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at KC 10

Fantastic punt by Graham. Hall had to fair catch this with his heels planted at the TEN yard line. I didn't see the hold, but it must have been at the line of scrimmage where one of the Jets fell to the ground...

OK guys, I'll continue this later. Second drive(s) coming up later tonight...

DanT
09-12-2005, 09:04 PM
1-10-NYJ 35 (13:46) 27-L.Johnson left end for 35 yards, TOUCHDOWN. R2
1-L.Tynes extra point is GOOD, Center-83-K.Gammon, Holder-2-D.Colquitt.

Single back is Johnson, Tony Gonzalez is lined up at TE on the Right, and DUNN is lined up as a SLOT/WR, and KRIS WILSON is lined up as a SPLIT END/WR! The Jets look confused as to why our goal line (3 TE) offense looks like a standard 3 wide. Dunn then goes in motion and comes to a stop in a SLOT position. The linebackers are calling out signals and are standing flat footed when the ball is snapped. It's a pitch to the left, Roaf and Waters both get out around the end, while WILSON collapses onto the linebacker who is just standing there, completely helpless, and DUNN seals off the Defensive End. The end is so wide open that ROAF doesn't even find anybody to block until he gets 12 yards downfield, at which point he hits the corner HARD. Johnson then turns on that AFTERBURNER speed and nobody touches him. The play is so well designed that WATERS DIDN'T EVEN BLOCK ANYBODY! 6 points...

Didn't Waters block two people on that play? I watched him that entire play as it happened because I was worried about his back injury. He hit his man on the line of scrimmage and then pulled to the hole and restrained another Jet defender from getting to the point of attack by sealing the defender back toward the interior of the line of scrimmage, didn't he, or did I see it wrong? Waters subtracted two Jets from the point of attack by himself, or so I thought.

Frazod
09-12-2005, 09:09 PM
BTW, Fraz... I've been here since the board started and don't have half the posts that most people have, so I think I'm entitled... :)

True on both counts. :D

mcan
09-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Didn't Waters block two people on that play? I watched him that entire play as it happened because I was worried about his back injury. He hit his man on the line of scrimmage and then pulled to the hole and restrained another Jet defender from getting to the point of attack by sealing the defender back toward the interior of the line of scrimmage, didn't he, or did I see it wrong? Waters subtracted two Jets from the point of attack by himself, or so I thought.

Nope, sorry. Waters immediately pulled to the outside, and almost tripped over Dunn's leg. Then follows Roaf to the outside where he sticks out his right hand to try and push the guy that Wilson was blocking but doesn't actually touch him. Then he runs upfield past the corner that Roaf just smashed and Johnson runs past him in a blur. At which point Waters again puts out his right hand to try and push the LB (Barton #50) who was trailing Johnson by a couple yards. Waters dives forward to try, but doesn't get his hands on Barton (doesn't need to) because Johnson is already gone. Waters then falls down... He didn't touch anybody except Jason Dunn's leg...

DanT
09-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Nope, sorry. Waters immediately pulled to the outside, and almost tripped over Dunn's leg. Then follows Roaf to the outside where he sticks out his right hand to try and push the guy that Wilson was blocking but doesn't actually touch him. Then he runs upfield past the corner that Roaf just smashed and Johnson runs past him in a blur. At which point Waters again puts out his right hand to try and push the LB (Barton #50) who was trailing Johnson by a couple yards. Waters dives forward to try, but doesn't get his hands on Barton (doesn't need to) because Johnson is already gone. Waters then falls down... He didn't touch anybody except Jason Dunn's leg...

Thanks, mcan. I wonder what I was looking at. I thought Waters popped his man real quick at the line of scrimmage, pulled, ran a buttonhook to the hole and was in place to seal off a defender from Johnson as Johnson ran through the hole.

Frazod
09-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I assume this will speed up a bit when we get to

MISSED PLAY GETTING BEER
MISSED PLAY GETTING BEER
MISSED PLAY GETTING BEER
MISSED PLAY GETTING BEER
MISSED PLAY GETTING BEER
MISSED PLAY GETTING BEER
MISSED PLAY GETTING BEER
MISSED PLAY GETTING BEER

and

MISSED PLAY TAKING A LEAK

ROFL

Raiderhater
09-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Damn, this is the most creative post-whoring technique I've seen since Jamie started talking to himself. :)

Everyone can thank their lucky stars that I have not been in the mood to do that in a long time, and do not forsee myself being in the mood for it for quite some time. Way too much work, and I'm in a lazy state of mind.

mcan
09-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Kansas City Chiefs at 10:01
1-10-KC 5 (10:01) 31-P.Holmes right end to KC 3 for -2 yards (51-J.Vilma, 24-T.Law).

Chiefs line up in an I Form, 2 TE set. Gonzalez motions left to right, and the play is a pitch out to Holmes on the right side. Vilma makes a fantastic read and cuts inside (unblocked) and gets to Holmes in the backfield. The play broke down because Ellis (Jets LE) gets in the backfield. When Weigman tries to pull and get outside, he almost runs into Jordan Black and Ellis (who are still engaged in their block). This makes Weigman late to the outside and he can't block Vilma.

Raiderhater
09-12-2005, 09:28 PM
It's was pretty viscous.

Anyway, the Jets called timeout after the sack/fumble.

You better check yourself twice. I made damn sure that part of those "conversations" were about the Chiefs current events.

mcan
09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks, mcan. I wonder what I was looking at. I thought Waters popped his man real quick at the line of scrimmage, pulled, ran a buttonhook to the hole and was in place to seal off a defender from Johnson as Johnson ran through the hole.

You might have been watching Roaf (who really only blocked one guy though it was an awesome block), or you might be thinking that he actually blocked those two guys when he stuck out his hand. But he never really touched em, he was just looking for something to do because the play was executed perfectly by everyone on our line...

Woody Paige
09-12-2005, 09:30 PM
WoW!

This is more exciting than watching Cold Pizza re-runs.

DanT
09-12-2005, 09:31 PM
You better check yourself twice. I made damn sure that part of those "conversations" were about the Chiefs current events.

Don't you mean, "we made damn sure that ..."?

Raiderhater
09-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Don't you mean, "we made damn sure that ..."?

No, it was I that brought up the subject. Me and Myself were to just following the flow of conversation.

;)

Frazod

I remember it mostly being a loves-me-loves-me-not internal debate concerning your Best Buy stalker.

Of course, I didn't read all of it.

:evil:

mcan
2-12-KC 3 (9:24) 10-T.Green pass to 81-C.Horn to KC 14 for 11 yards (25-K.Rhodes).

Same look as the previous play. I Form and Tony motions left to right. This time, Trent just drops back and lets go to Horn on the quick slant and he has 11 yards before anybody can blink. #36 Barret was playing about 10 yards off of Horn, and the linebacker was unable to cut off the passing lane because all three linebackers rolled to the opposite side (to follow Gonzalez's motion). I'd like to see more of this out of our offense. If they're going to give you that play, take it...

DanT
You might have been watching Roaf (who really only blocked one guy though it was an awesome block), or you might be thinking that he actually blocked those two guys when he stuck out his hand. But he never really touched em, he was just looking for something to do because the play was executed perfectly by everyone on our line...

Thanks, mcan!

DanT
09-12-2005, 09:35 PM
No, it was I that brought up the subject. Me and Myself were to just following the flow of conversation.

;)

:)

Raiderhater
09-12-2005, 09:37 PM
I remember it mostly being a loves-me-loves-me-not internal debate concerning your Best Buy stalker.

Of course, I didn't read all of it.

:evil:

You obviously didn't read it at all if that is what you "remember".

Which is a shame, there was a lot of discussion about interior designing, you would have loved it, f#cker.

Frazod
09-12-2005, 09:38 PM
You obviously didn't read it at all if that is what you "remember".

Which is a shame, there was a lot of discussion about interior designing, you would have loved it, f#cker.

ROFL

Raiderhater
09-12-2005, 09:40 PM
You know, we really need new material. We've been using the same stuff for how long now?

I suppose I could start calling you Trigger Tim. :D

Frazod
09-12-2005, 09:41 PM
You know, we really need new material. We've been using the same stuff for how long now?

I suppose I could start calling you Trigger Tim. :D

You saw that thread, eh?

I guess you could call me the Refriginator. :spock:

mcan
09-12-2005, 09:41 PM
3-1-KC 14 (8:50) 31-P.Holmes up the middle to KC 16 for 2 yards (93-J.Reed).

Again, the Chiefs come out in an I Form 2 TE set. The only WR is Horn, who motions pre-snap from right to left and back again. Straight ahead run blocking as the give is to Holmes up the middle. Reed (Jets DT) gets off of Weigman's block (half a swim move and half him just grabbing Weigman's arms and throwing Weigman behind him) and scrapes the line to tackle Holmes just past the sticks. Really it should have been defensive holding, but it was a pretty good effort on Reed's part. Weigman actually flew about 4 yards and got completely spun around. Great block by Richardson on the middle linebacker to get Holmes upfield to the marker though...

Raiderhater
09-12-2005, 09:44 PM
You saw that thread, eh?

I guess you could call me the Refriginator. :spock:

Yeah. I didn't post anything because I couldn't come up with anything witty to say, and actually figured it would be best to wait a day or two anyway. I'm sure that was a bit nerve racking, Demolition Man.

leviw
09-12-2005, 09:45 PM
You realize with the knowledge you'll have of the game of football once you get this game done you'll be able to go down to Vanier and replace Coach Snyder right away, right?

(Of course you might be older than him by then.)

Frazod
09-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah. I didn't post anything because I couldn't come up with anything witty to say, and actually figured it would be best to wait a day or two anyway. I'm sure that was a bit nerve racking, Demolition Man.

Just a little. As Jeff Foxworthy would say, I got my sign. :stupid:

mcan
09-12-2005, 09:48 PM
1-10-KC 16 (8:11) 49-T.Richardson up the middle to KC 20 for 4 yards (63-D.Robertson).

Same formation, except no motion this time. Both TEs are lined up on the right side from the top of the play. Great straight ahead blocking by all of our guys and the give was to TONY RICHARDSON behind Will Shields. Four yards, and the Jets are lucky that was all. The Jets did a good job of pinching their lineman and clogging up the middle, but everybody was engaged. Robertson gets credit for the tackle, but really it was a whole TON of bodies around the ball.

mcan
09-12-2005, 09:49 PM
You realize with the knowledge you'll have of the game of football once you get this game done you'll be able to go down to Vanier and replace Coach Snyder right away, right?

(Of course you might be older than him by then.)

I'm counting on it... :clap:

Raiderhater
09-12-2005, 09:49 PM

Bill Engvall. ;)

milkman
09-12-2005, 09:50 PM

That is Bill Engvall, not Foxworthy.

Frazod
09-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Bill Engvall. ;)

I don't know who that is, but I can hear Foxworthy say: If you've ever shot a kitchen applicance WHILE IT WAS IN YOUR KITCHEN, you might be a redneck. :banghead:

Frazod
09-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Sorry about the hijacking, BTW. :doh!:

mcan
09-12-2005, 09:56 PM
2-6-KC 20 (7:35) 10-T.Green pass to 87-E.Kennison pushed ob at NYJ 43 for 37 yards (25-K.Rhodes).

Tony Gonzalez comes out of the game.

The Chiefs break the huddle and show a first look of 3 WR with the slot back being RICHARDSON, and the 2 RBs, but the fullback is DUNN. Then they totally shift out of that and RICHARDSON goes back into the fullback spot and DUNN lines up at the right TE spot. Once they are set, Richardson motions slightly to the right (strong side) and the Jets' linebackers are moving from their right to left (to follow the motion). The play is a playaction fake and Kennison is running a deep square in route and he's WIDE OPEN under the safeties. He then changes direction and makes the cornerback miss the tackle and gets some great YAC yards. Rhodes then jumps on his back and drives him out of bounds. This play is all set up by the motion, and it's a big gain because the Jets sent one linebacker on a blitz, and nobody was left to cover the middle zone because the other linebackers bit on the fake/and then covered Priest out of the backfield.

Raiderhater
09-12-2005, 09:58 PM
I don't know who that is, but I can hear Foxworthy say: If you've ever shot a kitchen applicance WHILE IT WAS IN YOUR KITCHEN, you might be a redneck. :banghead:

Engvall is the one who does the here's your sign bit.

I had a thought, should you ever find yourself in a situation where you have the .38 instead of the Glock again. Treat it like the Glock until you are in the right frame of mind to decock it. The Glock has no manual safety on it and is ready to go, just keep your finger off the trigger of the .38 and place it some place out of the way until later. Not much difference really.

Frazod
09-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Engvall is the one who does the here's your sign bit.

I had a thought, should you ever find yourself in a situation where you have the .38 instead of the Glock again. Treat it like the Glock until you are in the right frame of mind to decock it. The Glock has no manual safety on it and is ready to go, just keep your finger off the trigger of the .38 and place it some place out of the way until later. Not much difference really.
Yes, that's readily apparent to me when I haven't been awakened from four hours of sleep by a deafening, piercing alarm siren.

mcan
09-12-2005, 10:02 PM
1-10-NYJ 43 (7:03) 10-T.Green pass to 88-T.Gonzalez pushed ob at NYJ 37 for 6 yards (24-T.Law).

the Chiefs show a 4 WR look, but the right slot is Kris Wilson, and the right SPLIT END is TONY GONZALEZ. At the snap, both Gonzalez (on the right) and Sammie Parker (on the left) turn toward the QB. Trent goes to the right to Gonzalez and Wilson is out in front of him to throw a block already, but the linebacker gets over to the sidelines quickly and drives TONY out of bounds. Still an easy 6 yards on first down, and had TONY broken that tackle, he had another 6 pretty easy because WILSON threw a great block on the TY LAW.

cdcox
09-12-2005, 10:06 PM
This is an interesting thread. Two comments:

1. It will be interesting to see if you can keep up this level of detail for the whole game.

2. WHY IN THE HECK-FIRE ARE YOU BREAKING DOWN THE FILM FOR OUR OPPONENTS???

mcan
09-12-2005, 10:08 PM
2-4-NYJ 37 (6:41) 82-D.Hall right end to NYJ 37 for no gain (99-B.Thomas).

Here you go:

The Chiefs show an odd look with RICHARDSON, HALL, and HOLMES all in the backfield. Wilson is split out right, and Parker is split out left. This looks like a seudo WISHBONE offense. The play is a trap play to Dante Hall, who is met right at the line by Thomas and Hobson. The play was broken up because Will Shields knocked Thomas to the ground and went to go block somebody else, but Thomas got up and grabbed Hall as he was trying to get around the end.

mcan
09-12-2005, 10:11 PM
This is an interesting thread. Two comments:

1. It will be interesting to see if you can keep up this level of detail for the whole game.

2. WHY IN THE HECK-FIRE ARE YOU BREAKING DOWN THE FILM FOR OUR OPPONENTS???

I'm sure that they're breaking it down too. But I figure that with all the guys screaming bloody murder about one thing or another (Wilson didn't catch a pass, McLeon got burned, why are we worried about losing Sims, etc)... We might as well get a coaches viewpoint on the actual film and end the speculation. Here's what WILSON did do, here are the exact plays that McLeon/Washington/etc messed up, and THIS is why we'll miss Sims if he isn't on the field. Plus, it gives me an opportunity to expand my own knowledge of the team and the game in general...

Raiderhater
09-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Yes, that's readily apparent to me when I haven't been awakened from four hours of sleep by a deafening, piercing alarm siren.

Yeah I know. It wasn't meant as criticism.

cdcox
09-12-2005, 10:15 PM
I'm sure that they're breaking it down too. But I figure that with all the guys screaming bloody murder about one thing or another (Wilson didn't catch a pass, McLeon got burned, why are we worried about losing Sims, etc)... We might as well get a coaches viewpoint on the actual film and end the speculation. Here's what WILSON did do, here are the exact plays that McLeon/Washington/etc messed up, and THIS is why we'll miss Sims if he isn't on the field. Plus, it gives me an opportunity to expand my own knowledge of the team and the game in general...

Yeah, I know it is no big deal. I just thought it needed to be said.

Frazod
09-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I know it is no big deal. I just thought it needed to be said.

You worried about Greasy Al trolling the Planet? :D

mcan
09-12-2005, 10:20 PM
3-4-NYJ 37 (6:02) 10-T.Green pass to 18-S.Parker to NYJ 28 for 9 yards (36-D.Barrett).

Chiefs show 3 WR set and the single back is HOLMES. The play is a slant (double move) to Parker who is the split slot WR on the left side. The play works because:
1: Barrett can't get a bump on the line because Parker is behind the line as a slot-back (even though he is split wider than Hall).
2: He has no inside help because Dante Hall runs straight upfield from the left inside WR position and takes CB STRAIT and S RHODES out of the play.

cdcox
09-12-2005, 10:21 PM
You worried about Greasy Al trolling the Planet? :D

Let me tell you, back in the day, when Al was in command of his colon, he would NOT have allow this to happen. He would have got a restraining order placed on the whole internet. As much as we admire the extent to which King Karl controls his universe, he is no Greasy Al.

mcan
09-12-2005, 10:31 PM
NOTE: on the previous play the Jets were zone blitzing but the D-linemen that dropped into coverage were lined up in a three point stance, but OFF the line of scrimmage. The pass was off before the linebackers even engaged the O-Line. Weird defense, and great play call on third and short.

1-10-NYJ 28 (5:22) 31-P.Holmes right end to NYJ 27 for 1 yard (50-E.Barton).

Basic I Formation look. Tony motions from left to right and the pitch out goes to HOLMES around the right side. Will Shields and Jordan Black pull out to that side and but Gonazalez can't hold his block on the left end (Abraham) who dives into the backfield and disrupts the blocking. Black lets the safety (Coleman) shoot into the backfield, but Shields cuts him down. Abraham trips over Coleman, but with all those bodies there, Richardson couldn't get outside to help, and BARTON was able to step up and hit Holmes for no gain. Will Shields' block on Coleman saved us from a loss of five...

mcan
09-12-2005, 10:41 PM
2-9-NYJ 27 (4:38) 10-T.Green pass to 87-E.Kennison to NYJ 8 for 19 yards (36-D.Barrett).

The Chiefs come out with a three wide look, but the split out slot on the left side is WILSON. Gonzalez is lined up as TE on the left and the single back (HOLMES) is lined up askew to the right of GREEN. WILSON then goes in motion from left to right, but the ball is snapped when he gets to the normal slot position (still on the left).

The Jets only rush four, and none of them get close to Green who has excellent pocket protection. The Chiefs have 5 people in patterns (including Priest who leaks out of the backfield) and throw is complete to Kennison who just beats Barrett on a deep out to the left. Kennison does a great job of putting his hand down and changing direction on the sidelines to get a few more yards before Barrett can pull him down. Again, Barrett was playing quite a ways off his man.

mcan
09-12-2005, 10:51 PM
1-8-NYJ 8 (3:51) 10-T.Green pass to 31-P.Holmes to NYJ 3 for 5 yards (51-J.Vilma).

Staggered I Form, 2 TE set. But the right TE is RICHARDSON and GONZO is lined up at fullback. Then they motion out so that RICHARDSON drops back to FB, Gonzo goes to the left TE spot, and DUNN goes from left TE to right TE. It is a play action, and the Jets blitz 6 guys, and Trent has to step up in the pocket. Richardson makes a great block on the outside rusher to the right. And as Trent steps up, he looks off Gonzo in the end zone, and throws to Priest who (after the fake) ran upfield and cut out to his right. Nice gain on first and goal, exploiting the blitz.

mcan
09-12-2005, 10:59 PM
2-3-NYJ 3 (3:12) 31-P.Holmes left end for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

We first show a 2 TE set with DUNN on the right and GONZO on the left, the DUNN motions to the left TE spot, and GONZO drops off the line, but stays on the left giving us a stacked TE LEFT I FORMATION set.

The pitchout goes to HOLMES Weigman and ROAF pull out with RICHARDSON to lead block. Roaf's man grabs Priest's leg, but he fights it off and breaks another tackle and fights to the end zone. He was actually down at the one yard line, but the JETS don't challenge.

As Roaf's man is grabbing Priest, Roaf falls down and grabs the back of his left leg. He clearly pulled his hampstring on this play, right before he hits his man. He wasn't touched or rolled on. He was just running hard trying to get in front of Priest, and you can see him stutter step, dive at Barrett and fall to the ground in pain... Bummer...

mcan
09-12-2005, 11:02 PM
The extra point is good.

Again, about 6 Jets don't even make an effort to go after the kick. They just stand up and watch the play... Just sad... :shake:

OK guys, I'm going to go meet some friends. I'll do a couple more drives when I get back. I hope at least some of you guys are enjoying this...

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:24 AM
NYJ 0 KC 14, 12 plays, 95 yards, 6:57 drive, 11:56 elapsed

1-L.Tynes kicks 62 yards from KC 30 to NYJ 8. 22-J.Miller pushed ob at KC 42 for 50 yards (1-L.Tynes).

The kickoff coverage was OK, but Miller actually followed his lead blocker into the wedge this time, and broke one tackle (Stills got an arm on him while he was being blocked). Then he was off to the races. Tynes did a good job to take an angle on him and drove him out of bounds... Great return for the Jets.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2005, 01:28 AM
NJ.Miller pushed ob at KC 42

And they didn't even score... :)

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:29 AM
New York Jets at 3:04, (1st play from scrimmage 2:56)

1-10-KC 42 (2:56) 10-C.Pennington pass to 28-C.Martin to KC 42 for no gain (99-K.Bell).

the Jets break the huddle while the TV is showing the BLIMP shot, so I don't see the initial formation, but they shift to a single back 2 TE set with Martin in the backfield. The Chiefs are in a standard 4-3 and only rush four. It is a play-action, and nobody bites on the fake. Pennington looks for the deep ball, but nobody is open (good protection), and dumps it off to Martin in the left flat. Bell is all over him right at the line of scrimmage and drives him backwards and out of bounds about 6 yards in the backfield, although he gets forward progress for the gain of "0". Great coverage and open field tackle by Bell.

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:36 AM
2-10-KC 42 (2:12) 10-C.Pennington pass to 87-L.Coles to KC 30 for 12 yards (22-D.McCleon).

The Jets go back to thier 3 WR look where the fullback starts out as a slot and motions back to the FB spot. The Chiefs are showing blitz and at the snap, they bring five. It's a play-action, and the Jets O-Line does a good job of picking up the blitz. Derrick Johnson lined up against Coles at the line, but didn't cover him very well on the IN pattern, and Coles was pretty wide open over the middle right at the sticks. DJ looks like he went to the flat and left his man (although that happens off camera). Also, this the first drive without Sims out there (due to injury) and the Chiefs didn't put any pressure on Pennington despite the blitz coming.

Note: Patrick Surtain points at DJ after the whistle is blown. It looks like that was DJ's man. Certainly Coles on a linebacker is a missmatch, but it wasn't a "speed" route. DJ just didn't know he where he was supposed to be.

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:45 AM
Correction. Surtain lined up on Coles and let him go into DJ's zone, and DJ was running the wrong direction, and turned to run with COLES too late. Hopefully, he'll get better at middle zone coverage. Also, I'm glad that Pennington didn't go over the top because McCareins was one on one with Knight who was trailing him on the deep flag pattern...

1-10-KC 30 (1:32) 10-C.Pennington pass to 81-J.McCareins pushed ob at KC 11 for 19 yards (22-D.McCleon).

The Jets show another 3 WR, and again motion the FB back into his "normal" position. It's another play-action. The Chiefs collapse the line of scrimmage, and Eric Hicks gets great penatration, and gets his hands up, but just misses the ball. Pennington makes a fantastic throw to McCareins on a deep out who was man on man with McLeon on the JETS RIGHT SIDE. Knight provided some help over the top but both defenders were trailing by a half step and throw was perfect. Knight nails him on the sideline (but somehow McCleon got credit for the tackle?) That's not right... Hard to blame McCleon for that. It was a perfect throw.

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:51 AM
1-10-KC 11 (1:03) 10-C.Pennington pass incomplete to 81-J.McCareins.

Same 3 WR look, and again the fullback goes back into the backfield pre-snap, creating the 2WR Left, I Form look. Again, the Jets go playaction. The Chiefs 4-3 collapses the Jets O-Line, but Pennington has time to throw to McCareins on a crossing route. Wesley was playing over him, but a little too soft. He would have definately made the tackle, and probably McCareins only dropped the pass because he knew he was about to take a hit over the middle. All in all, Justin should have caught that ball.

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:55 AM
2-10-KC 11 (:58) 28-C.Martin up the middle to KC 10 for 1 yard (56-D.Johnson).

Again, the Jets go 3WR look, and motion the FB back into the backfield creating a standard I formation. It's a give to Martin on the left side of the line. The Jets do a decent job of straight ahead blocking but there are just too many Red Jerseys at the line. Everybody is engaged with a blocker except DJ who comes from the left linebacker spot all the way over to the right side of the defense (unblocked) and dives and Martin's legs and wraps up his ankles, then Mitchell sheds his block and clean Martin up, driving him backwards and into the crowd of bodies. Great, aggressive linebacker play, and GREAT job by John Browning to keep the left guard off of JOHNSON so he could dive over and make the play.

mcan
09-13-2005, 02:07 AM
3-9-KC 10 (:10) 10-C.Pennington sacked at KC 16 for -6 yards (69-J.Allen). FUMBLES (69-J.Allen), touched at KC 15, RECOVERED by KC-23-P.Surtain at KC 19. 23-P.Surtain to KC 21 for 2 yards. FUMBLES, recovered by KC-50-K.Mitchell at KC 21.

The Jets show a true 3 WR set this time, and it's a straight drop back pass. The Chiefs are in a nickle, and only rush 3 guys (ALLEN, HICKS, DALTON). Dalton and Hicks run stunt and that leaves the left guard confused and just standing there instead of helping out the tackle. After a second or two, Bell realizes that the TE is helping to block, so BELL comes in to rush as well. By that time Jerod Allen has already put a nifty spin move on the left tackle (Fabini) after driving him back into the pocket. Allen looks up and sees that Pennington is standing right there, so he wraps him up and Pennington drops the ball. Surtain was covering the flat (there were no recievers) so he sprinted at the ball and picked it up on the run. Then he started running it back and put a really nice juke on the RG Moore who tried to tackle him. Then he gets hit immediately from behind by PENNINGTON who knocks the ball loose from SURTAIN! Somewhere beneath the ensuing pile, Kawika Mitchell comes up with the ball...

teedubya
09-13-2005, 02:14 AM
this is awesome man... these posts should be archived as HTML, and posted on teh new Chiefsplanet front page.?? :shrug:

GMitch
09-13-2005, 02:17 AM
This is great stuff, thanks! Especially when I can't sleep for some reason. (I'm going to be a waste at work tomorrow...err, today.)

mcan
09-13-2005, 02:18 AM
END OF THE FIRST QUARTER

Kansas City Chiefs at 15:00
1-10-KC 21 (15:00) 10-T.Green pass to 88-T.Gonzalez to KC 36 for 15 yards (26-E.Coleman).

NOTE: ROAF IS OUT. He didn't "play a whole 'nother quarter" as some have said. This is the next play after Priest's TD run, and he's out.

Chiefs break the huddle and show a single back 2 TE left set. Johnson is the runner and Dunn goes in motion from left to right. At the snap, the Jets bring FIVE on the blitz, and BLACK (now playing left tackle) picks it up nicely. Dunn stays in to block. Gonzalez runs a nice hook pattern and is farily wide open as he is one on one with the FS (Coleman) and nobody bumps him at the line. Trent threw the ball on the money and the timing was perfect. Eddie Kennison threw a nice downfield block on Law, but Gonzalez couldn't break Coleman's tackle. After the play, Law turned to Kennison and patted him on the shoulder...

mcan
09-13-2005, 02:23 AM
1-10-KC 36 (14:25) 27-L.Johnson up the middle to KC 40 for 4 yards (51-J.Vilma).

The freaking CBS feed doesn't show anything until right after the ball is snapped, but it looks like that funky WISHBONE thing again (I just see it for a split second when the camera goes back to the field). Gonzalez and Richardson are both in the backfield flanking JOHNSON, who gets the carry behind Waters. But, there are a TON of white jerseys in the hole, and Gonzo runs past everybody to block the linebacker who is back in coverage. Vilma meets Johnson head on in right at that second level, and drives him backwards. GREAT tackle...

mcan
09-13-2005, 02:32 AM
2-6-KC 40 (13:49) 10-T.Green pass incomplete to 87-E.Kennison.

PENALTY on NYJ-24-T.Law, Defensive Pass Interference, 20 yards, enforced at KC 40 - No Play.

The Chiefs show a TRIPS right look, but motion Gonzalez and DUNN back into a basic 2 TE set with Kennison and Parker as the WRs each on one side. At the snap Kennison is motioning towards the center of the field from right to left, but not quite to the hashmark. The single back is JOHNSON. It's a play-action behind Shields, and the Jets' front seven ALL bite. Kennison runs a deep out and is single covered by TY LAW, who is beated on the play. LAW hooks Kennison's with his left arm as Kennison makes his break, and then Law falls down. The ball hits Kennison in the chest at the sideline, but he can't make the catch because he just shook LAW of his back... Then the flag comes out LAW doesn't protest at all...

mcan
09-13-2005, 02:38 AM
1-10-NYJ 40 (13:43) 10-T.Green pass to 27-L.Johnson to NYJ 29 for 11 yards (50-E.Barton).

Chiefs show a strong I Formation with 2 WRs on the right. Then they motion Dante Hall from the RIGHT to the left side. He's still running at the snap. The Jets were blitzing FIVE, but you can hear somebody yell "SCREEN, SCREEN" and all the D linemen stop and look for the running back. But it's not a "screen" it's a flare route to Johnson in the flat, and Will Shields and Eddie Kennison are out in front to block. Then WEIGMAN (who is running like a damned demon) gets out in front of Johnson too, and pushes a defensive back out of the way. That springs him forward past the sticks... Great hussle by Shields and Weigman to get out to the flat!

mcan
09-13-2005, 02:44 AM
1-10-NYJ 29 (12:57) 27-L.Johnson right tackle to NYJ 23 for 6 yards (36-D.Barrett).

Single back is Johnson, a true 3 WR set this time. Gonzalez goes in motion from the left to right and sets up just slightly in the backfield at the snap. The Jets are in a standard 4-3 and blitz the ROLB. It's a pitch right to Johnson. Wiegman and Bober pull out to lead block for Johnson who cuts it upfield behind RG. BOBER BLOCKS NO ONE. Weigman makes another great block to get Johnson a few more yards past the linebacker level... He's brought down by Barrett who shed Sammie Parker's downfield block and made a great play to get to the RB in the open field...

mcan
09-13-2005, 02:48 AM
2-4-NYJ 23 (12:14) 10-T.Green pass incomplete to 27-L.Johnson.

Chiefs line up in a TRIPS left look, but it looks like the slot might be a TE, I can't see the number. The inside reciever (Kennison) goes in motion from left to the right side, and the ball is snapped. Again, the Chiefs try a flare route to Johnson and Larry isn't looking for the ball in time and the ball bounces off Larry's helmet. It looks like the linebackers were all over that play anyway.

mcan
09-13-2005, 02:55 AM
3-4-NYJ 23 (12:10) 10-T.Green pass incomplete to 82-D.Hall.

Chiefs come out with 3 WRs and GONZO lined up at TE on the right. Dante Hall is the lone WR on the right side, and starts in motion back toward the hash mark at the snap. Dante runs an out route right at the marker and Barrett is all over him. The pass falls incomplete and the crowd, Hall, and Trent all want a PASS INTERFERENCE call. No flag. On the replay we clearly see Barrett get beat, but instead of wrapping his arms around, he plants his right foot and follows the reciever. There was some contact, but not flagrant. Good no-call...

mcan
09-13-2005, 02:57 AM
4-4-NYJ 23 (12:06) 1-L.Tynes 41 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-83-K.Gammon, Holder-2-D.Colquitt.

Tynes' field goal is good, but man the outside guy on the Jets' right side got REALLY close to blocking that kick. TOO CLOSE... There was a lot of leg on that kick too. Cleared by 10 yards pretty easy...

mcan
09-13-2005, 03:01 AM
I'm gonna call it a night guys. To those of you who've told me you like this thread, thanks.

mikey23545
09-13-2005, 03:17 AM
I'm gonna call it a night guys. To those of you who've told me you like this thread, thanks.

Great stuff, Mcan!

Mikey likey...

ExtremeChief
09-13-2005, 05:03 AM
Thanks mcan.

ChiefsKing
09-13-2005, 07:06 AM
mcan, this is really great stuff. Nice to read a breakdown of play by play to see who did or didn't do their job.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
09-13-2005, 07:10 AM
I think this is just a blatent attempt at post whoring!

:p

KCTitus
09-13-2005, 07:19 AM
Got throught the first drive...I think I'll just wait for the movie instead.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2005, 07:27 AM
At this rate, if mcan does the entire season...he's good for AT LEAST 3,500 posts in the next 15 weeks.

Rain Man
09-13-2005, 09:26 AM
2-3-NYJ 3 (3:12) 31-P.Holmes left end for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

We first show a 2 TE set with DUNN on the right and GONZO on the left, the DUNN motions to the left TE spot, and GONZO drops off the line, but stays on the left giving us a stacked TE LEFT I FORMATION set.

The pitchout goes to HOLMES Weigman and ROAF pull out with RICHARDSON to lead block. Roaf's man grabs Priest's leg, but he fights it off and breaks another tackle and fights to the end zone. He was actually down at the one yard line, but the JETS don't challenge.

As Roaf's man is grabbing Priest, Roaf falls down and grabs the back of his left leg. He clearly pulled his hampstring on this play, right before he hits his man. He wasn't touched or rolled on. He was just running hard trying to get in front of Priest, and you can see him stutter step, dive at Barrett and fall to the ground in pain... Bummer...

Thanks for the great replay, mcan. This is just like watching the game, except this time I'm knowledgeable.

I'm bummed about the Roaf thing, though. When you go down without being hit, it's usually bad.

carlos3652
09-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Great Thread man!

mcan
09-13-2005, 12:18 PM
1-L.Tynes kicks 70 yards from KC 30 to NYJ 0. 22-J.Miller to NYJ 26 for 26 yards (91-R.Scanlon).

ensuing kickoff is high and deep by Tynes. Right down the pipe, and caught by Miller about a foot deep in the end zone. The wedge gets set in the middle of the field, and he takes off running at it, again behind his lead man. This time, however, as he gets to the wedge at the 23, he tries to cut to his left, and Rich Scanlon (who beat his man and was being HELD from behind by [Jets #52 Wright]) is charging the gap and brings him down with a fairly violent open field tackle. As he is being brought down, DeWayne Washington jumps on the falling Miller, and Gary Stills adds a little exclaimation point by diving in low.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Who is Matt McCann?

BTW, mcan, your username kind of resembles McCann.

mcan
09-13-2005, 12:31 PM
New York Jets at 12:02, (1st play from scrimmage 11:55)

1-10-NYJ 26 (11:55) 28-C.Martin right end to NYJ 28 for 2 yards (50-K.Mitchell, 25-G.Wesley).

Jets in thier base offense (3WR look, motion the FB back into the backfield to create an I FORM). Derrick Johnson was lined up over the slot reciever, until the FB moved into the backfield at which point he shifted over towards the middle (to follow the FB) and the corner comes inside, across from the slot. The play is a pitchout to the right to Curtis Martin. The Jets don't pull any linemen to help get outside, and there are just too many red shirts to block. The FB takes out Johnson, and the reciever takes out the corner (probably Surtain but I can't see the number), however Wesley steps up from the safety position, and Mitchell does a great job of scraping the line and plugs Curtis Martin after a 1 yard gain and drives him back. Wesley helped, but it wasn't necessary. There could have been a personal foul called on that play. The whistle was blown as Martin was being driven back (about 10 yards) and then Mitchell drove Martin down at the sideline. Not a violent hit, but definately late. Mitchell also did a great job of beating the RG (#65 Moore) to the sideline and avoided being blocked. The Jets would be wise to PULL Moore behind the line, instead of relying on straight ahead run blocking to get to the MLB. Hard to do when the linebackers have good speed. This is the play where you see quite clearly why the Chiefs are going to be a better defense this year. LB speed!

Rain Man
09-13-2005, 12:35 PM
1-L.Tynes kicks 70 yards from KC 30 to NYJ 0. 22-J.Miller to NYJ 26 for 26 yards (91-R.Scanlon).

ensuing kickoff is high and deep by Tynes. Right down the pipe, and caught by Miller about a foot deep in the end zone. The wedge gets set in the middle of the field, and he takes off running at it, again behind his lead man. This time, however, as he gets to the wedge at the 23, he tries to cut to his left, and Rich Scanlon (who beat his man and was being HELD from behind by [Jets #52 Wright]) is charging the gap and brings him down with a fairly violent open field tackle. As he is being brought down, DeWayne Washington jumps on the falling Miller, and Gary Stills adds a little exclaimation point by diving in low.

Maybe we can link mcan's commentary with gochiefs' game pictures.

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/7739/151gm.jpg

mcan
09-13-2005, 12:48 PM
2-8-NYJ 28 (11:10) 10-C.Pennington pass to 28-C.Martin to NYJ 28 for no gain (99-K.Bell).

PENALTY on NYJ-66-P.Kendall, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NYJ 28 - No Play.

The Jets come out with a true single back 3 WR set. The Chiefs still have thier 4-3 out there and BELL is lined up on the slot reciever (I think it's CHREBET but I can't see the number. It's a white guy). The play is a screan pass to Martin, and the JETS try to create space by sending 3WRs, and the TE out on deep routes. But Carlos Hall gets in the back field by beating the left tackle (Fabini) to the inside after pushing him back into the pocket. This gives no time for anything to set up and BELL reads the screan immediately because PENNINGTON kinda panics with Carlos Hall in his lap, and looks right at Martin to toss him the ball. BELL then comes hard at the running back and blockers haven't set up yet, so the left guard (#66 Kendall) tries to dive at BELL but BELL is able to go OVER him and hit Martin in the shins. As Martin is falling forward, MITCHELL and BROWNING (who has really hustled over to the ball from his tackle position) are both there to clean him up.

However, the whole thing is moot, because there was a hold on the inside of the line at the beginning of the play. The Left guard wanted to get outside to block so he grabbed John Browning and threw him down. Then John got up and ran to the outside and helped make the tackle. Can't say enough about BROWNING'S motor...

Rain Man
09-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Then after the play BELL went over and mowed the lawn at an orphanage and started a scholarship fund for homeless kittens. Yay, Bell!

mcan
09-13-2005, 12:58 PM
2-18-NYJ 18 (10:46) 28-C.Martin right end to NYJ 29 for 11 yards (56-D.Johnson).

Jets come out in a spread set with 4 WRs, and the single back is MARTIN. The Chiefs have SAPP and WOODS come in, for a 3 safety DIME look. The play is a DRAW/COUNTER to MARTIN. This should have been read earlier by the Chiefs. As soon as the ball is snapped, all the recievers run deep, but the CENTER (Mawae) runs forward to block Derrick Johnson. If it were a pass, it would have been the biggest example of an illegal man downfield I've ever seen. Martin has a pretty big whole on the right side and he gets upfield quick. It's the first time today we've seen Martin's abilities. He's very shifty. As he's approaching the 25 yard line, Johnson sheds the block (Mawae) and catches Martin from the back/side and wraps up with his left hand while trying to punch the ball loose with his right arm. Good tackle by JOHNSON. Also, MCCAREINS had a great downfield block on SURTAIN that helped MARTIN get deep into the secondary.

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:06 PM
3-7-NYJ 29 (10:04) 10-C.Pennington to NYJ 25 for -4 yards. FUMBLES, and recovers at NYJ 25. 10-C.Pennington pass to 28-C.Martin to NYJ 43 for 14 yards (25-G.Wesley).

PENNINTON is in the shotgun with MARTIN lined up as a single back to Pennington's right. The Chiefs are crowding the line and showing blitz. There are 3 WRs lined up but the Chiefs are still in their 4-3, and blitz a safety and a LB (KNIGHT/BELL) leaving very few people in coverage. But Pennington can't handle the snap and the ball falls haplessly behind him for a fumble. BELL starts out going for the ball and KNIGHT is being blocked hopelessly by FABINI. PENNINGTON picks up the ball right before BELL gets there, so BELL has an awkward angle and isn't ready for the tackle and PENNINGTON is able to shake the awkward arm tackle of BELL and throw to CURTIS MARTIN downfield. That was Derrick Johnson's man, but he had come off of him when he saw the fumble and couldn't recover his coverage. Wesley was back covering the deep zone and came up and touched Martin, who was already on the ground (had to dive to catch the ball).

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:13 PM
1-10-NYJ 43 (9:21) 10-C.Pennington pass to 87-L.Coles to NYJ 49 for 6 yards (56-D.Johnson).

Blaylock checks into the game for MARTIN and the JETS show another spread set with 4 WRs, all brought in tight (like the RAIDERS used to do all the time. Chiefs are still in their 4-3 defense! This gives the JETS a major missmatch with COLES running a shallow out route into DERRICK JOHNSON'S zone. Coles is able to beat Johnson to the sidelines fairly easily and Pennington gets him the ball quickly. But Surtain (who was deep) and Johnson both get to COLES right as he turns upfield. Surtain hits him first, but COLES breaks that tackle and JOHNSON wraps up his legs. COLES tries to stretch the ball, but MITCHELL is running right at him to kill him and is looking right at that outstretched ball. COLES sees it and tucks the ball back in and goes down before MITCHELL lights him up. Good gain for the JETS on first down.

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:21 PM
2-4-NYJ 49 (8:40) 28-C.Martin right tackle to KC 48 for 3 yards (93-J.Browning).

The Jets come out on second down and four in a single back (MARTIN) 2 TE set and send (TE BAKER) in motion from left to the right side. Chiefs are in a 3-4 defense with BELL and MITCHELL is the inside backers and JOHNSON and FOX on the outside. The give is to Martin off right tackle, but Martin is forced to cut it back inside because JOHNSON was blitzing around that side and took two blockers out of the play (and cut off the lane to the outside). Martin cuts upfield behind the right guard where JOHN BROWNING (who was still being blocked) grabs him and drags him down. As he is falling, BELL, FOX, and MITCHELL all jump on him too.

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:29 PM
3-1-KC 48 (7:59) 10-C.Pennington pass to 87-L.Coles to KC 44 for 4 yards (99-K.Bell, 50-K.Mitchell).

Jets come out in a WEAK I formation with 2 WRs line up on the right, then MCCARIENS motions from the right to the left side. At the snap, the Chiefs bring FIVE, and Pennington drops back to throw. BROWNING beats his man to the outside badly and has a clear path to the quarterback, but MCCAREINS and COLES both did a good job of running shallow crossing routes and Pennington was able to jump up and avoid BROWNING (who was trying to jump up and knock down the pass) and complete to COLES underneath. Coles is then immediately hit and brought down by MITCHELL and BELL. Bell was trailing COLES on the play and MITCHELL was in a middle zone.

NOTE: FOX complete blanket covered the full back who tried to leak out into the flat on the left side. Fantastic coverage for a linebacker.

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:35 PM
1-10-KC 44 (7:21) 28-C.Martin right end to KC 39 for 5 yards (75-L.Dalton).

The Jets show a 3 WR set against the Chiefs' 4-3. WILKERSON has checked in as a defensive tackle. The Jets give to Martin who tries to go right, but again, it's closed off. He cuts back inside and gains a few yards before Dalton can shed his block and bring him down from behind. The Chiefs did a great job of collapsing the line on this play, even though Jerod Allen gets held, and then BEATS FABINI to the inside, then FABINI (who is now laying on his chest) grabs Allen's legs and trips him. Allen would have had MARTIN in the backfield when Martin tried to cut back.

jidar
09-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Nice work. I'm reading all of these. It's fairly interesting and I'm curious to see if you make it through the whole game.

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:44 PM
2-5-KC 39 (6:41) 10-C.Pennington pass INTERCEPTED by 23-P.Surtain at KC 25. 23-P.Surtain to NYJ 22 for 53 yards (65-B.Moore).

Penalty on NYJ-89-J.Cotchery, Offensive Holding, declined. KC - #23 CB PATRICK SURTAIN INJURED. KC - #20 CB BENNY SAPP INJURED.

Jets show the 3 wide look and again & motion the FB back into the backfield. It's a play-action and Pennington has all day to throw because ALLEN gets pancaked by FABINI. Then Pennington throws to MCCEREINS, who is crossing behind Kawika MITCHELL'S middle zone. But he doesn't look off the CB, SURTAIN who is covering the outside zone on the right, and SURTAIN is able to easily step into the passing lane and pick off the throw. That's when it gets crazy. SURTAIN, again tries to become a running back and makes a couple of good moves shaking three tackles as he returns the pick 53 yards. But he gets tackled from behind by Moore and hits his head on the turf pretty hard.

mcan
09-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Nice work. I'm reading all of these. It's fairly interesting and I'm curious to see if you make it through the whole game.

Thanks, I'll do a couple more drives later tonight. It's quite the undertaking, but I'm having fun doing it... Gotta go to work though.

angel
09-13-2005, 07:13 PM
this is almost as fun as watching the games with you, Matt... great job

I know I've said it before, but you need to find a career doing this sort of thing- you enjoy it, and you're good at it

send this to one of the coaches when you're done- tell 'em that you'll do it for every game from 2000... hehe... or, yeah, you should do that! Once you've finished putting all of the games on DVD, you should go over them, write out play-by-play for each of them and put the transcripts on another disc and have a two-disc set for each game...

mcan
09-13-2005, 07:30 PM
this is almost as fun as watching the games with you, Matt... great job

I know I've said it before, but you need to find a career doing this sort of thing- you enjoy it, and you're good at it

send this to one of the coaches when you're done- tell 'em that you'll do it for every game from 2000... hehe... or, yeah, you should do that! Once you've finished putting all of the games on DVD, you should go over them, write out play-by-play for each of them and put the transcripts on another disc and have a two-disc set for each game...

It's just so time consuming. The fact is, I've spent hours on this thread already and I'm not even to halftime yet. I do enjoy the hell out of it though.

angel
09-13-2005, 07:31 PM
It's just so time consuming. The fact is, I've spent hours on this thread already and I'm not even to halftime yet. I do enjoy the hell out of it though.
you gotta finish, man
the planet's counting on you

mcan
09-13-2005, 07:36 PM
you gotta finish, man
the planet's counting on you

I will, but like I said earlier, It'll probably be Friday or Saturday before I get the whole game done...

And I hardly think the planet is counting on me. I venture a guess that only the half dozen or so that have already mentioned they like the thread are even enjoying it or reading it...

angel
09-13-2005, 07:40 PM
I will, but like I said earlier, It'll probably be Friday or Saturday before I get the whole game done...

And I hardly think the planet is counting on me. I venture a guess that only the half dozen or so that have already mentioned they like the thread are even enjoying it or reading it...
okay, but it had better be done before next Sunday, and
since I stole the pots and pans from your apt, I'm going to bring nachos on Sunday in the crockpot