PDA

View Full Version : KC Star Chiefs Notes: Surtain to practice today

tk13
09-14-2005, 01:09 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12637922.htm

SURTAIN BETTER

Somewhere, a secondary coach is exhaling.

Chiefs cornerback Patrick Surtain, a Pro Bowler, is expected to return to practice today, coach Dick Vermeil said. Surtain suffered a concussion in Sunday’s win over the Jets after a 53-yard interception return.

Surtain’s absence would have left a huge hole in the Chiefs’ secondary this weekend, when they travel to Oakland to face Randy Moss. Vermeil has just four cornerbacks on his roster, and the Chiefs struggled somewhat last weekend when Surtain went to the locker room.

“I feel a little better than I did last night with our injury situation,” Vermeil said.

On Monday night, he was worried about injuries to four starters — Surtain, left tackle Willie Roaf (hamstring), fullback Tony Richardson (knee) and defensive tackle Ryan Sims (foot).

Vermeil said Roaf’s injury isn’t as bad as initially thought, but it’s likely he’ll miss Sunday’s game. The Chiefs at first worried that Roaf may have popped his hamstring. Vermeil said Tuesday that it was probably a strain.

Sims is getting a second opinion, and Richardson is doing better, Vermeil said.

“I just went down and saw him working out with a big smile on his face,” Vermeil said. “He said, ‘Coach, I can’t believe how much better I feel.’ So, his status, in my mind at least, has been upgraded.”

NO SURPRISES HERE

Larry Johnson may have run for 110 yards and two touchdowns Sunday, but Vermeil said Priest Holmes is still a solid No. 1 at running back.

Holmes, a three-time Pro Bowler, added 85 yards and a touchdown and has recovered from last year’s knee injury.

“I think he’s earned that right (to start),” Vermeil said. “I don’t have any question he can do today whatever he’s done in the past at his best. I have absolutely no question.”

ANOTHER OPTION

With Richardson’s status still in doubt, Vermeil said tight end Kris Wilson may play some Sunday at fullback.

---------------------------------------------------------------
— Elizabeth Merrill/The Star

Spicy McHaggis
09-14-2005, 02:13 AM
ANOTHER OPTION

With Richardson’s status still in doubt, Vermeil said tight end Kris Wilson may play some Sunday at fullback.

Very glad to hear that Richardson is doing better. Wilson at FB would be interesting to see though.

Rausch
09-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Very glad to hear that Richardson is doing better. Wilson at FB would be interesting to see though.

While I like Wilson at FB what's the situation with Holcombe?...

Frosty
09-14-2005, 06:29 AM
While I like Wilson at FB what's the situation with Holcombe?...

Holcombe is out for the season.

StcChief
09-14-2005, 06:31 AM
Holcombe is not on the depth chart roster. IR/PUP ?

Rausch
09-14-2005, 06:31 AM
Holcombe is out for the season.

Well, I'd think keeping Wilson at FB would be a must-do then.

What he may lack in blocking he more than makes up for in pass catching...

Mecca
09-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Holcombe is not on the depth chart roster. IR/PUP ?

IR.........If Richardson couldn't go they'd probably sign a fullback for the week. That would probably explain why Joey Goodspeed was in here to workout as a just in case measure.

Tinlar
09-14-2005, 06:55 AM
::BEGIN SARCASIM::
Just what this offense needs at FB, someone that can catch the football.
::END SARCASIM::
I give half of Priest's yards to T.Rich on any given Sunday, he earned them. Without T.Rich running interference for him Holmes will never break 100 yards rushing.

Thig Lyfe
09-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Awesome news. I knew Surtain would play.

I think Trich will end up playing as well.

Kylo Ren
09-14-2005, 08:17 AM
I still think Roaf will play. We'll have everyone back except Sims.

Lzen
09-14-2005, 08:30 AM
It will be very good if Surtain plays. I was getting very worried about that. Looks like both he and Richardson will play at Oakland. Roaf may play but I hope they don't let him come back too soon. If he reinjures that hammy, it could be a season long nagging type of thing.
Anyone heard anything about Benny Sapp's injury?

Gaz
09-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Great news.

xoxo~
Gaz
Relieved.

Mecca
09-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Sapps fine, he went back into the game after his injury.

mlyonsd
09-14-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm really concerned about Roaf possibly missing the game.

To go into that black hell hole without Green's personal body guard is dangerous IMO.

PunkinDrublic
09-14-2005, 08:43 AM

To go into that black hell hole without Green's personal body guard is dangerous IMO.

The only guy on that defense that scares me is Sapp but that's only because he could potentially have a monster game against Jordan Black or whoever is replacing Roaf. Other than that the Oaklands defense isn't anything to be worried about. Hell the Jets defense is better than the raiders. With Sapp you never know if he's going to decide to play hard or not.

Hammock Parties
09-14-2005, 08:47 AM

The Raiders pass rush sucks.

heapshake
09-14-2005, 08:50 AM
"Holcombe is not on the depth chart roster. IR/PUP ?"

IR.........If Richardson couldn't go they'd probably sign a fullback for the week. That would probably explain why Joey Goodspeed was in here to workout as a just in case measure.

Holcombe used to be on IR - but they reached a settlement with him and now he's no longer on the team.

Lzen
09-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Sapps fine, he went back into the game after his injury.

That is good news. I really like Sapp and think he's got some potential to be a very good CB.

whoman69
09-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Hope we won't be hearing any stories about them bringing back that 300 lb ex FB from KSU.
If we're going to miss Roaf for a game, the best team to do it against would be the Raiders. They have nobody that can take advantage of that situation.