PDA

View Full Version : How bad do you think pro athletes are targeted when they go out?

PunkinDrublic
09-14-2005, 09:25 AM
This LJ incedent and the preseason bar fights a couple of the players were involved in made me wonder how often players are targeted when they go out. The fact is that young NFL players in their twenties are going to go out and party. It just makes me wonder how often some drunken belligerent asshole out at a bar or a club tries to start some shit because he's jealous of a millionaire athlete. On top of that you hear a lot of stories of these opportunistic golddigger women who target them. I don't want to make it sound like I'm excusing the trouble that pro-athletes get into because a lot of them have gotten away with things that are inexcuseable. Pro-Athletes seem to disproportionately get into trouble with the law and get into incidents when they go out. It's easy to say you can just walk away. But from every incident of violence it makes me wonder if in fact there were at least a dozen other incidents when the pro-athlete did just walk away.

Braincase
09-14-2005, 09:33 AM
If I were LJ, I'd be living the off-season in Europe...where American Footballers are anonymous.

Chiefnj
09-14-2005, 09:38 AM
If you are in a bar with an ex and the current GF walks in. Don't send her a text message to meet you in the basement of the bar - get the hell out with the ex.

jspchief
09-14-2005, 09:40 AM
How many Chiefs players have had to settle an argument with a girlfriend by smacking them?

Oh wait, LJ is the victim here...

trndobrd
09-14-2005, 09:40 AM
I'd be willing to bet Willie Roaf doesn't get targeted much.

Rausch
09-14-2005, 09:43 AM
I can say that if given the chance, back in 93, to stick out my foot and trip Elway in front of a flight of steep stairs...In a ****ing heartbeat...

Amnorix
09-14-2005, 09:43 AM
In general, they get far more attention, good and bad, than they want -- no doubt about it.

Amnorix
09-14-2005, 09:45 AM
I can say that if given the chance, back in 93, to stick out my foot and trip Elway in front of a flight of steep stairs...In a ****ing heartbeat...

So.........presumably..........if Priest Holmes and Trent Green, side by side, step onto the top step of a "down" escalator at the Denver airport, and just then a crazed fan barrels into them from behind sending them down the metal stairs head over heels.........you'd be okay with that.

PunkinDrublic
09-14-2005, 09:46 AM
How many Chiefs players have had to settle an argument with a girlfriend by smacking them?

Oh wait, LJ is the victim here...

I never said that you obviously didn't read my whole post.

trndobrd
09-14-2005, 09:49 AM
So.........presumably..........if Priest Holmes and Trent Green, side by side, step onto the top step of a "down" escalator at the Denver airport, and just then a crazed fan barrels into them from behind sending them down the metal stairs head over heels.........you'd be okay with that.

Holmes and Green side by side on an escalator? While going "down"? Tell me, do you have these types of visions often? :hmmm:

PunkinDrublic
09-14-2005, 09:53 AM

He would have had his foot out it's not his fault if Elway just happens to walk into it. The crazy fan barreling down the hallway is going out of his way to attack someone. It's entirely possible that someone could be stretching his legs when Elway just happens to be walking by. :D

Rausch
09-14-2005, 09:57 AM

If they landed on top of Elway...

Amnorix
09-14-2005, 09:58 AM

:LOL: Even I had to chuckle at this...

jynni
09-14-2005, 09:59 AM
It's entirely possible that someone could be stretching his legs when Elway just happens to be walking by.
And lately it seems that Denver QBs seem to have that kinda luck - be it a dog or perhaps the couch.

jspchief
09-14-2005, 10:02 AM
I never said that you obviously didn't read my whole post.I did read your whole post. Let me make my point in a less obtuse manner.

Regardless of whether pro athletes get targeted a lot, a great majority of them are capable of handling it. It appears LJ isn't, especially when it comes to ex-girlfriends. Tynes isn't either, apparently.

I don't have much sympathy for them in regards to the way they are targeted. They make millions, and they do it by being a public spectacle. If you want to money that comes with being a public figure, then you have to take the negative attention too.

Does anyone here think LJ is the only Chief that has problems with an ex? Somehow I doubt it. The thing that seperates him is that he chooses to get physical and/or violent, instead of handling it like a real man would.

jidar
09-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Not only do they have to deal with the fans, some of whom will be real dicks, but they have to deal with the more insidious gold diggers. There was actually a special on TV about this back when the Kobe thing hit, and it's worse than I had realized. Apparently there are so many that they have little Gold Digger communities in most cities and there is competition amongst them to snag pro atheletes and get paid through any means possible.

It's pathetic if you ask me, and it has made me truly give the benefit of the doubt to any athlete who has this kind of thing happen. Especially if it's a delayed report and the abuse happened in a crowded club where noone else called the cops then the accuser changes her story.

The Bad Guy
09-14-2005, 10:07 AM
I was out with some pro atheletes this summer at a club and I can tell you they are targeted big time.

Guys will just walk up and push them and tell them how much of a pussy they are and how playing in the NFL isn't any big deal. It's amazing.

PunkinDrublic
09-14-2005, 10:14 AM
I did read your whole post. Let me make my point in a less obtuse manner.

Regardless of whether pro athletes get targeted a lot, a great majority of them are capable of handling it. It appears LJ isn't, especially when it comes to ex-girlfriends. Tynes isn't either, apparently.

I don't have much sympathy for them in regards to the way they are targeted. They make millions, and they do it by being a public spectacle. If you want to money that comes with being a public figure, then you have to take the negative attention too.

Does anyone here think LJ is the only Chief that has problems with an ex? Somehow I doubt it. The thing that seperates him is that he chooses to get physical and/or violent, instead of handling it like a real man would.

I'm not excusing him for what he did the first time when he hit his girlfriend. This second incident when the girl gives conflicting statements leads me to suspect her of being opportunistic.

Raiderhater
09-14-2005, 10:15 AM

ROFL

PunkinDrublic
09-14-2005, 10:29 AM
I was out with some pro atheletes this summer at a club and I can tell you they are targeted big time.

Guys will just walk up and push them and tell them how much of a pussy they are and how playing in the NFL isn't any big deal. It's amazing.

See that's what I wonder about. I mean when you read or hear about incedents in the news the next day it's easy to just dismiss it as a spoiled, arrogant athlete thinking he's above the law and many times that is the case. I also think that there are many times when there are elements that we don't see. I don't think most people go out looking for trouble, getting in a bar fight or having your friends involved in one because it totally ruins your night.

BIG_DADDY
09-14-2005, 10:35 AM

And that is probably pretty mild compared to what the women have in store for them.

Rausch
09-14-2005, 10:37 AM

I'd just recomend staying at home over going out with Bartee when he drinks to forget...

hbkeay
09-14-2005, 12:25 PM
I know that there's only a certain amount of sh*t I'll put up with when I'm at a bar, and I'll certainly fight back if I'm shoved.

We're holding these guys to a higher standard than we hold ourselves.

It's not ideal for athletes, but they should know that they'll have a much better chance of getting caught than I will, because everyone knows who they are.

freebeer
09-15-2005, 04:34 AM
See that's what I wonder about. I mean when you read or hear about incedents in the news the next day it's easy to just dismiss it as a spoiled, arrogant athlete thinking he's above the law and many times that is the case. I also think that there are many times when there are elements that we don't see. I don't think most people go out looking for trouble, getting in a bar fight or having your friends involved in one because it totally ruins your night.

I agree......A year ago I was in Atlanta with my cousin hanging out with
with Brett The Hitman Heart from the WWE, and it seemed like there were a bunch of dudes just trying to pick a fight with him.

ExtremeChief
09-15-2005, 05:13 AM
Athletes seem to be held to a higher standard then the average Joe. The point isn't whether it's fair or not. The point is that they know they are held to a higher standard, that people are going to f*ck with them, and that there are opportunistic jackasses that are going to try to take advantage of them. When they put themselves in the position to let this happen, then it's their own fault.