PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of MICE in attic ?

chief99
09-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Anyone ever have this problem.

Damn little things can be heard at 3 in the mornings making noise.

They have found some hole in the roof.

PostalChief
09-14-2005, 04:06 PM
I had this problem years ago. A number of manufacturers make a high frequency emitting device that you can plug in to an outlet nearest your problem area. No messy traps and dead varmints to deal with. And, the frequency is higher than what your pets can hear, so it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.

ChiefsFire
09-14-2005, 04:53 PM
can of diesel and a match should solve your problem

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Put a cat in the attic. A pissed off cat.

Earthling
09-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Put a king snake up there to roam free...seriously.

PastorMikH
09-14-2005, 05:03 PM
You could climb up into the attic at around 2 am with a flashlight and a .22 rifle and wait until they come out and then start spotlighting them and shooting them.

If it were me though, I'd just get some mouse poison from the local walmart or hardware store and stick a few boxes here and there in the attic.

Chiefsrocker
09-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Had the same problem with mice about a year ago. I went to the local exterminator and bought a bunch of small "throw bags." The bags ar about the size of a dollar bill folded in half and ahave poison in them. I went up to the attic and threw them around the attic. Didnt even have to go all the way up into the attic to do it. I also threw packs behind the stove, fridge, pantry, etc. etc. and never had a problem again. The mice chew through the package to get to the poison, so they are also pet safe. I have 3 beagles, and they never found a single pack. Also checked and they also sell packs at the local COOP elevator(if in a rural area) or farm store. Hope that gets em for ya! Good luck!!

Bob Dole
09-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Whiner.

Wait until you get squirrels.

Skip Towne
09-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Birth control is the answer. Just catch the males and cut off their balls. End of problem.

Skip Towne
09-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Whiner.

Wait until you get squirrels.
Squirrels are overrated.

CosmicPal
09-14-2005, 05:19 PM
No rat poison or glue traps. You'll just end up with dead smelly rats, and you'll have to go looking for them to get rid of the smell.

I had a problem with them a few years ago, but we didn't have them in the attic- they were literally everywhere. Discovered they had a nest behind the fridge.

I used glue traps and like the Pastor mentioned, I swear, some nights I stood on top of the coffee table with an empty bottle of vodka, or a bat, or even a tennis ball. As soon as I saw one- I'd launch into the little fuggers. I couldn't stand them- they kept me up at night and damn near scared the sh*t out me half the time with their running across the room.

The glue traps worked, but most of them would still be alive and stuck to the traps and I'd have to carry them out to the trash with that eerie mouse squealing bloody murder while stuck to a trap. It freaked me out, man! I drank quite a bit those nights. Must've killed over a hundred of those dirty fuggers.

They all of sudden just stopped showing up one day...

chief99
09-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Mouse traps sound like the best. Poison might kill them and then they get stuck in a wall.

One way how they get up there.
http://www.bobshowto.com/mice-in-attic.htm

Nelson Muntz
09-14-2005, 06:34 PM
No rat poison or glue traps. You'll just end up with dead smelly rats, and you'll have to go looking for them to get rid of the smell.

I had a problem with them a few years ago, but we didn't have them in the attic- they were literally everywhere. Discovered they had a nest behind the fridge.

I used glue traps and like the Pastor mentioned, I swear, some nights I stood on top of the coffee table with an empty bottle of vodka, or a bat, or even a tennis ball. As soon as I saw one- I'd launch into the little fuggers. I couldn't stand them- they kept me up at night and damn near scared the sh*t out me half the time with their running across the room.

The glue traps worked, but most of them would still be alive and stuck to the traps and I'd have to carry them out to the trash with that eerie mouse squealing bloody murder while stuck to a trap. It freaked me out, man! I drank quite a bit those nights. Must've killed over a hundred of those dirty fuggers.

They all of sudden just stopped showing up one day...

Hell at the last house I lived at we had mice because of the scum neighbors living next door and behind us. We used the sticky traps and caught one and the damn thing squealed for 3 days before I could find it. I didn't think they could drag those traps very far but they can, I had to move every appliance and furniture to find the bastard.

siberian khatru
09-14-2005, 06:40 PM
I had roof rats a few years ago in my attic. They don't look like classic Norway rats, more like squirrels with skinny tails instead of bushy ones.

I'd sit at the computer late at night and hear the "thump-thump-thump" in the ceiling of them running back and forth in the attic. I later found out that there was an opening in the ceiling of our utility room, just off the kitchen, were they'd enter, scurry down the furnace duct and into kitchen to poach food from the dog's dish. It's amazing I never stumbled across one at night when I went to get a snack. It's also amazing that neither the dog nor the cat EVER acted like they noticed we were being invaded.

Anyway, I eventually called Critter Control, which sealed up gaps in the roof and soffit that they were using to gain entrance, then he set traps. He set one snap trap in the utility room.

One Sunday night about 7 p.m. the wife and I were in the family room watching TV when we suddenly heard a "SNAP!" from the utility room. We both looked at each other wide-eyed, knowing what happened -- and what must be done.

We both gingerly walked to the utility room and I grudgingly peered around the corner. The damn thing was dead in the trap, his skull crushed and blood spattered beside him. My wife got a trash bag, I grabbed gloves and a pair of tongs and picked the rat up, trap and all, deposited him in the bag and put him outside in the trash can.

That's the last I've seen or heard of them, it's been about 7 years.

teedubya
09-14-2005, 07:40 PM
If it were me though, I'd just get some mouse poison from the local walmart or hardware store and stick a few boxes here and there in the attic.

If I were a preacher... I'd probably just pray the mice away. :-) Cuz, I aint no Mouse Poisoner... thats evil.

teedubya
09-14-2005, 07:41 PM
On a serious note, I had one stuck in my wall one time... he fell into a solid area between two sheetrock walls... was trapped, but you could hear it scratching for its life...

DJay23
09-14-2005, 07:43 PM
I like glue traps. It keeps them alive for the other mice to see, thus discouraging them from ****ing with me.

Once had a mouse chew the entire corner off a glue trap before it's face got stuck to the glue, suffocated, and died.

Also had a mouse drag a trap into a hole under a cabinet, only to get hung up. Took me the better part of the morning to fish it out, with only one foot stuck to the trap. That glue sure is strong.

Chiefsrocker
09-14-2005, 08:56 PM
I never had a smell at all in my house after I cleard out the pesky things with poison. Dogs never found a one. Maybe they went were we couldnt smell them, but I never found a dead one or anything. They just dissappeared, and it was soo simple to "trap" them I guess!

Braincase
09-15-2005, 05:54 AM
Are there 3 blind mice....

.....or are they optical mice?

Fire Me Boy!
09-15-2005, 06:36 AM
I got infested with "genius" mice one time... I swear to God the dirty little ****ers would figure out the traps within a couple of hours. I tried glue traps, traditional snap traps, even live traps (that sweep them into a holding cage until you let them go outside)... I cught only a few before the others would figure it out and not use them. I'd see them, too, so it wasn't like I thought I was infested, there were quite a few (I could hear them in the walls, too). Anyway, finally called Orkin (who uses a poison that's "pet proof"). They came out, set all their poison centers, etc... about a week later one or both of my cats got into the "pet proof" poison center -- I had to take BOTH of them to the vet to get treated for the anticoagulant and give them BOTH good doses of Vitamin K. Cost me $200! So I called Orkin, pitched a ****ing fit, and they paid for my vet bill AND let me out of my 12-month contract without the cancellation fee, AND refunded my inital $80 whole house treatment... so, while I won't say how crappy they are, I will say as a customer service department they were very good.

not trying to hijack the thread now, but anyone got good suggestions for spiders?

Bwana
09-15-2005, 06:39 AM

Tinlar
09-15-2005, 06:41 AM
For areas that traps and poisons don't work real well try mothballs. They drive the animal away without harming it and it is more reliable than the "squeelers" as mice and rats eventually get comfortable with the sound. The down side is that the mice may invade other areas of your home but then you can likely use conventional traps.

Hoover
09-15-2005, 07:01 AM
I don't know, you might try killing them.

Hope this helps

Love,

Hoover

Hoover
09-15-2005, 07:04 AM
First off, this is why I love my cat. He's rather cool anway, but if he thinks there is a mouse in the house he is on it till he finds it, then he plays with it till it dies.

So far in the 18 months we have had him Charlie (my cat) has killed 4 mice. (Three at my old house, one at the new place a week ago)

rageeumr
09-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Back when the wifey and I were just dating (in college), she lived in a house just outside of town in the country. They had mice like crazy. But they had the same problem that I have read previously in this thread... they didn't like disposing of a dead mouse. I looked for some sort of a "live" trap as described earlier, but couldn't find one in the booming metropolis of rolla. So I built my own. An old drawer screwed onto a piece of plywood made the "box" I sawed a door hole into the drawer. Then I installed a piece of wood on a track that dropped in front of the door. I drove a nail into the bottom of the box and tied another nail to a string that ran around the back and top of the box (through eyelets) and tied to the piece of wood that dropped in front of the drawer. So I would slide a piece of cheese over the 2 nails and coat it with peanut butter. As soon as mousey ate enough cheese to free the 2nd nail, it would fly back and the door would fly shut. This, of course, is patented, but I will release use of it to Planet members. :)

Frazod
09-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Get a cat. You'll never see another one (at least you'll never see another one ALIVE).

memyselfI
09-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Killer cat. Best solution by far. We had a mice problem because a couple of shut in elderly women were moved. Mice invaded our neighborhood after all of the crap in their house had been cleaned for the first time in 20-30 years.

The only thing that could keep up with the problem and then eventually end it was our friend, Bandit. He's still with us and the mice aren't.

Tinlar
09-15-2005, 08:33 AM
The cat is a great idea too... I've got an adopted stray, in that he gets feed but not allowed inside, for the very reason. He cleaned the mice out of the garage in less than a week.

jspchief
09-15-2005, 08:36 AM
String a wire across the top of a 5 gallon bucket partially filled with water. Thread an aluminum can on the wire, centered over the bucket. Spread peanut butter on the can. Set ramp up to bucket edge.

The mouse will climb out onto the can, at which point it will spin, dumping it into the water where it will eventually drown.

This also works with a piranha tank in place of the bucket. :)

badgirl
09-15-2005, 09:35 AM
I'd set traps, although cats may get rid of mice, once the mice are gone you still have to put up with the damn cat :shake:

Cats IMO are useless animals, except for catching mice, but I'd rather use a trap and let it go at that. :)