PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Barber

chappy
09-15-2005, 12:00 AM
what is the deal with him seems like he has been hurt for awhile anyone know his status and if he does return what the hell can we do with him now that we have dj and bell. didn't we sign him to a crazy seven year contract? what are your predictions of what will happen to him?

HolmeZz
09-15-2005, 12:06 AM
Dunno what'll happen with him. Thought I heard there was a chance he could be available for the second half of the season. If so, Barber-Bell-Mitchell-DJ would be a killer LB core in a 3-4. :)

Dr. Chief
09-15-2005, 12:07 AM
I don't know the exact details, but I believe he is on the PUP list. I think he comes off after week 6 and we then have 3 weeks to evaluate him and decide whether to activate/release/IR him.

If he is able to go, I don't know if we can keep him. I think it will come down to the Salary Cap implications.

Mecca
09-15-2005, 12:37 AM
Barber will probably be released after this season. Yes, he signed a 7 year contract, but in the NFL a 7 year contract really equals out to 3-4 years.

If they do think he can help the team after his PUP stay is over, guy's like Scanlon and Griffin should be wary of losing their roster spot.

alanm
09-15-2005, 01:56 AM
He's on the PUP list. He's not eligible to play untill week 7. I hope he can play this year. We may need him if a few guys get banged up.

Dave Lane
09-15-2005, 04:49 AM
Dunno what'll happen with him. Thought I heard there was a chance he could be available for the second half of the season. If so, Barber-Bell-Mitchell-DJ would be a killer LB core in a 3-4. :)

Barber blows next to what we have available.

Dave

Eleazar
09-15-2005, 05:32 AM
If you are on PUP, you can be taken off it at any time. It's not like they are on IR for half the season automatically or anything.

Second, Barber is a fine player that the others around him made look bad.

ROYC75
09-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Barber will probably be released after this season. Yes, he signed a 7 year contract, but in the NFL a 7 year contract really equals out to 3-4 years.

If they do think he can help the team after his PUP stay is over, guy's like Scanlon and Griffin should be wary of losing their roster spot.

Don't you mean Boomer instead of Scanlon ? Why let your # 2 MLB go for another OLB when the # 3 MLB isn't ready to play the MLB position in the NFL ?

Eleazar
09-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Why let your # 2 MLB go for another OLB when the # 3 MLB isn't ready to play the MLB position in the NFL ?

I think that's why he said Scanlon.

jspchief
09-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Barber hits our cap for about 5 million this year. Letting him go would obviously cost much more than that. I think it has more to do with the cap hit anything else.

Hoover
09-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Barber hits our cap for about 5 million this year. Letting him go would obviously cost much more than that. I think it has more to do with the cap hit anything else.
So we save money for keeping him this year and cutting him in the offseason correct?

StcChief
09-15-2005, 07:41 AM
If he can help after week 7. He Stays.

Who knows what the injury situation will be.

BigRedChief
09-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Well the radio dudes here in KC are being told by the KC brass that the Chiefs still think he can play that the injury is not career ending. But he never was all world if you ask me. He didn't suck and I guess he was above average for an NFL LB but for $5 million a year you don't get an average LB.

ROYC75
09-15-2005, 07:45 AM
I think that's why he said Scanlon.

Oh, I get it, in your mind, our # 3 MLB is better than our # 2 MLB, so cutting # 2 is the best option.

Sounds like all of our # 2 and # 1 players better beware of the 3's .

jspchief
09-15-2005, 07:52 AM
So we save money for keeping him this year and cutting him in the offseason correct?Most contracts become lesser cap hits as they progress, because the more years the player is there, the larger percentage of his signing bonus has already been applied to the cap. Right now I think Barber is still at a point where the signing bonus hit would be higher than the base salary savings. I don't know if that is still the case next year or not. My guess is we would either try and trade him next off-season, or cut him after June 1st when we can spread the cap hit even thinner.

His base alone gets very expensive in the next few years. Too expensive for a bench player.

2005:
2006:
http://www.chiefswarpath.com/resources/1x1.gif2007:
2008:
http://www.chiefswarpath.com/resources/1x1.gif2009:

Eleazar
09-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Oh, I get it, in your mind, our # 3 MLB is better than our # 2 MLB, so cutting # 2 is the best option.

Sounds like all of our # 2 and # 1 players better beware of the 3's .

Honestly, is your opinion that Scanlon could start at MLB most places in the league, but Vermeil is holding him back?

ROYC75
09-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Honestly, is your opinion that Scanlon could start at MLB most places in the league, but Vermeil is holding him back?

Never have said that. But IMHO, I feel there are a few places he probally could. KC ? No, Mitchell has finally started to live up to his pick'ns. But last year, I felt firmly that Rich was as good as Mitchell in TC. DV stayed the course, Mitchell got the playing time and is ahead of Rich as far as ability within our scheme.

Does this help ya ?