PDA

View Full Version : SPINOFF: How to get rid of SPIDERS in the house

Fire Me Boy!
09-15-2005, 08:47 AM
I tried to address this in the MICE thread, but didn't get any answers... so we've been seeing big, huge friggin' spiders several times in the last week on walls or scampering across the floor... my wife is terrified of them and while I'm not afraid of them, I can't say I'm fond of them. I'm not big on calling an exterminator to come spray.

Hoover
09-15-2005, 08:49 AM
You might try killing them.

I hope this helps

Love

Hoover

ChiTown
09-15-2005, 08:51 AM
It's too late. The eggs hatched a long time ago and they are already in the house. What you need to do is get the house sprayed by an exterminator in the early Spring. This kills the eggs and keeps the creepy crawlers away.

jspchief
09-15-2005, 08:55 AM
You can get indoor spider spray from any garden center.

I suggest hitting all your baseboards, corners, and everywhere that wall meets ceiling. Then i would repeat a week or two later.

Also, with cooler weather coming, outdoor spiders will be looking to move indoors. Get an outdoor spray that attaches to a hose and spray everything on your house. repeat in a month or two (just before the real freeze hits).

Dartgod
09-15-2005, 09:00 AM
I usually just box them up and send them off to a Broncos fan somewhere.

way2kalm
09-15-2005, 09:09 AM
If they are big, brown, and hairy then those big huge friggin' spiders are Wolf Spiders in most cases. They are very fast runners(which is the way they catch their food) so you almost have to sneak up on them to kill them. I know this because the basement in my house is invaded every year by this 8-legged pain-in-the-asses. I hate the fact that I'll be down stairs watching TV, when some thing 2-1/2" to 3" in diameter crawls out to say "what's up!" I think I'll be spraying my house this year.

Tinlar
09-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Hang up a raiders poster in every room then go to lunch. Come home and burn the posters, the spiders will be gone by then.... even they have some class.

NewChief
09-15-2005, 09:12 AM
The spider infestation has been bad around here this year, specifically brown recluse spiders. There's speculation that through pest control we've killed off some of their natural predators which is making their populations swell. Anyway, good luck getting rid of them. We've had our house sprayed, and they're still there.

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Sell the house.

Lzen
09-15-2005, 09:15 AM
BTW, wolf spiders are the natural predator/enemy of brown recluse. If you have a wolf spider or two, you shouldn't have much of a problem with brown recluse. I hate all the little suckers but I've seen on Discovery/TLC/Animal Planet the damage a bite from a brown recluse causes. It's not pretty.

tomahawk kid
09-15-2005, 09:16 AM
The spider infestation has been bad around here this year, specifically brown recluse spiders. There's speculation that through pest control we've killed off some of their natural predators which is making their populations swell. Anyway, good luck getting rid of them. We've had our house sprayed, and they're still there.

Us too. Our exterminator told us that its borderline impossible to get rid of spiders.

He said that most effective way to deal with them is to spray the house for other insects, eliminating their food source. Once that happens, they tend to move on.

Biohazard
09-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Sell the house.
F*CK THAT!! Burn the house, collect the insurance. Got to kill as many of them as possible!!!!!!

Iowanian
09-15-2005, 10:16 AM
I used the High Dollar Bug bombs twice.........and entire can of raid in the basement..........and still had spiders.

Yesterday, I paid a pro, $96 to spray 8qts of liquid-SpiderNuke inside and out.

Walked into a new web this morning on the way to the shower.

I'm heading out soon, to collect a truck full of Hedgeapples.

Iowanian
09-15-2005, 10:19 AM
If that doesn't work, I'm going to find the old lady who swallowed the fly, she swallowed the fly, I don't know why.....I guess she'll die.

I'll call the old lady who swallowed the fly, to swallow the spider to catch the fly, I'll wager the spider will wiggle and Jiggle insider.

Biohazard
09-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Spiders suck. Im not afraid of much anything. But for some reason a spider just turns me into an 8 year old girl! aaawww getting cool chills just thinking about one crawling on me in my sleep. Think Ill go seal every crack that I can find, and spray, and use hedgeapples under the house. Cant be to safe when everyones lives around me are at stake when I see one!

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 10:24 AM
I've heard that banana warehouses and ships often have big spiders, because the spiders live in banana trees. If you're a banana importer working out of your house, you might stop for a while.

redfan
09-15-2005, 10:27 AM
I use a catch and release method. I guess they just don't bother me that much, maybe because they eat other bugs. The skeeters are what really bother me; fuggin' bloodthirsty lil bastardos. I've heard that you're never more than a coulpa feet from a spider, no matter how clean your house is.

Frosty
09-15-2005, 10:36 AM
I've heard that you're never more than a coulpa feet from a spider, no matter how clean your house is.

I've heard also that people unknowingly consume more than 8 spiders in their lifetime.

That's a stat I don't want to think too much about.

redfan
09-15-2005, 10:48 AM
I've heard also that people unknowingly consume more than 8 spiders in their lifetime.

That's a stat I don't want to think too much about.

I know I've eaten my share of them, not to mention other bugs. Why just the other day, I almost drank a spider (nickel sized) that fell into my coffee. His parboiled little body bumped against my lips just before I took a big gulp. Too bad, cuz it was a decent cup 'o joe up to that point.

Frosty
09-15-2005, 10:52 AM
His parboiled little body bumped against my lips just before I took a big gulp.

I wonder how long he was in there before he floated to the top. :)

Bearcat
09-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Spiders suck. Im not afraid of much anything. But for some reason a spider just turns me into an 8 year old girl! aaawww getting cool chills just thinking about one crawling on me in my sleep. Think Ill go seal every crack that I can find, and spray, and use hedgeapples under the house. Cant be to safe when everyones lives around me are at stake when I see one!

I read somewhere the average person eats 5 spiders a year in their sleep.

Sweet dreams.

:evil:

Rausch
09-15-2005, 10:55 AM
The local exterminator passed on to my brother that it's pretty much impossible to spray for brow recluse spiders. Unlike roaches or other bugs their bodies never touch the ground so spraying does no good.

Try large glue traps, roach motels, etc. that you can buy for mice. Most places you'll see a mouse scamper out are the same types of places you'll see a brown recluse.

I've been told this powder is good to kill them but haven't tried it yet...

http://www.betterpestcontrol.com/spiders.html

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 11:02 AM

Sweet dreams.

That's 40 legs. Eek.

Biohazard
09-15-2005, 11:24 AM

Sweet dreams.

Im on my way to the lumberyard to get some of those painters masks! :shake:

Iowanian
09-15-2005, 11:31 AM
This is probably a great thread to tell the arachnophobes about the quarter sized spider that crawled in my sister's ear in her sleep.

Frosty
09-15-2005, 11:34 AM

I heard that before somewhere.... :hmmm:

Biohazard
09-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Im on my way to the lumberyard to get some of those painters masks! :shake:
.....and earplugs

penguinz
09-15-2005, 11:37 AM
I use a catch and release method.
I do the same but they still freak me out. Give me a venomous snake over a spider anytime. :s

Eleazar
09-15-2005, 11:50 AM
I had them in my apartment in the spring. I got a bottle of this stuff, Spectracide BugStop. They had it at wal mart, it's in a Windex-like bottle but the liquid is clear. I used it around all the baseboards and windows pretty heavily, emptied half the bottle in my one bedroom apartment.

I hadn't seen them for months afterwards until last week when I saw one, so I used the rest of the bottle this time. The stuff seemed to work pretty well. At < $5 it was worth a shot.

Dartgod
09-15-2005, 11:54 AM

Sweet dreams.

Ahem...

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.htm

Lzen
09-15-2005, 01:01 PM
I've heard that banana warehouses and ships often have big spiders, because the spiders live in banana trees. If you're a banana importer working out of your house, you might stop for a while.

Those banana spiders are some bad mofos. They are very aggressive and easily agitated. And if they bite you, you're dead.

Lzen
09-15-2005, 01:02 PM

Sweet dreams.

I hate you. :shake: :cuss:

Frosty
09-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Those banana spiders are some bad mofos. They are very aggressive and easily agitated. And if they bite you, you're dead.

Speaking of urban legends, I remember when I was a kid being told that the black specks in bananas were spider eggs and, if you ate them, they would hatch inside of you. :rolleyes:

Also, my grandmother telling me the story of the lady dieing when black widow spiders got into her beehive hairdo. :shake: