PDA

View Full Version : Mountians are forming in my yard! Heeeelp!#@!3

Biohazard
09-15-2005, 08:49 AM
While mowing my yard yesterday everything was going good, then about 10 feet from where I was the dirt started to churn and mountians begain to form. Before I knew what to do a large cloud of dirt comes from under the mower, the front wheel drops off in a trench, and Im about thrown. Coming of the seat just a little kills the mower dead in its tracks, so of course it dies and is stuck in the trench from the new formed mountians. I start the mower and try to move back to no avail. :banghead: I get off and lift and push finally freeing the mower. Looking further in the yard it looks like the water company has been there trenching new water line. :cuss:
I guess the moral of the story is do any of you know how to get rid of MOLES? Any help would be great! THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

jspchief
09-15-2005, 08:51 AM
This will be much tougher than mice or spiders.

jspchief
09-15-2005, 08:56 AM
I don't know the best way to be rid of them, but I do suggest you work fast. Moles can f*ck a lawn up in pretty short amount of time.

tomahawk kid
09-15-2005, 08:57 AM
While mowing my yard yesterday everything was going good, then about 10 feet from where I was the dirt started to churn and mountians begain to form. Before I knew what to do a large cloud of dirt comes from under the mower, the front wheel drops off in a trench, and Im about thrown. Coming of the seat just a little kills the mower dead in its tracks, so of course it dies and is stuck in the trench from the new formed mountians. I start the mower and try to move back to no avail. :banghead: I get off and lift and push finally freeing the mower. Looking further in the yard it looks like the water company has been there trenching new water line. :cuss:
I guess the moral of the story is do any of you know how to get rid of MOLES? Any help would be great! THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

Biohard,

Not sure where you live, but most Home Depots should stock Mole Traps.

Purchase 1-2 "harpoon traps" (should be about $15-20 each) and set them in your yard. You'll have the dead carcasses to deal with, but they won't be tearing up your yard anymore.

It may take a week or so to nail them, but the harpoon traps usually do the trick. It's also a hellava lot cheaper than calling an exterminator / rodent control person.

ChiTown
09-15-2005, 08:57 AM
"I smell varmint poontang, and the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang, I think."

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior firepower and superior intelligence. And that's all she wrote."

Biohazard
09-15-2005, 08:59 AM
This will be much tougher than mice or spiders.
I wish it were mice or spiders, I could just spray and put out posion. Huh maybe thats what I can do with these biotches. I'm going to have to do something or in a week or two it won't be safe to walk in my yard.

gblowfish
09-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Get a kitty cat. Mama cat (see avi at left) catches moles all the time.

tomahawk kid
09-15-2005, 09:00 AM
I wish it were mice or spiders, I could just spray and put out posion. Huh maybe thats what I can do with these biotches. I'm going to have to do something or in a week or two it won't be safe to walk in my yard.

You can do that too. They make "Mole Spray" to put on the lawn - not sure what that does - as well as poison peanuts.

I've found the harpoon traps to be the best solution.

Sam
09-15-2005, 09:01 AM
The moles are after grubs and insects underground, you're going to have to do some work on the yard.

Read this:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/w-fact/0011.html

Radar Chief
09-15-2005, 09:03 AM
I’ve heard of a home remedy type way of get’n rid of moles.
Buy a pack or two of Wrigley’s Spearmint Gum and place the gum in the tunnels the moles have dug. Supposedly they’ll chew on it and suffocate when they can’t swallow it.
The problem is get’n them to chew it ‘cause if they smell any human scent on it, they’ll just bypass it. So you have to wear new rubber gloves and use the foil wrap to protect the gum from your fingers when placing it in the mole tunnel.
Anyway I’ve heard of it, just don’t know how successful it actually is.
Good luck.

Biohazard
09-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Biohard,

Not sure where you live, but most Home Depots should stock Mole Traps.

Purchase 1-2 "harpoon traps" (should be about $15-20 each) and set them in your yard. You'll have the dead carcasses to deal with, but they won't be tearing up your yard anymore.

It may take a week or so to nail them, but the harpoon traps usually do the trick. It's also a hellava lot cheaper than calling an exterminator / rodent control person.
Thanks tomacoch, I do have a home depot near. I'll give them a shot. Someone (Sam posted this) told me that they are in my yard due to grubs in the ground. If its bugs they are wanting I wish they would eat some of the damn crickets. Noisy bastards.

gblowfish
09-15-2005, 09:09 AM
I’ve heard of a home remedy type way of get’n rid of moles.
Buy a pack or two of Wrigley’s Spearmint Gum and place the gum in the tunnels the moles have dug. Supposedly they’ll chew on it and suffocate when they can’t swallow it.
The problem is get’n them to chew it ‘cause if they smell any human scent on it, they’ll just bypass it. So you have to wear new rubber gloves and use the foil wrap to protect the gum from your fingers when placing it in the mole tunnel.
Anyway I’ve heard of it, just don’t know how successful it actually is.
Good luck.
I've heard that too. Worth a try, I guess. If it doesn't work, at least the Moles will all have minty fresh breath...

Hoover
09-15-2005, 09:12 AM
You might try killing them.

I hope this helps

Love

Hoover

Biohazard
09-15-2005, 09:16 AM
WTF?Numerous home remedies have been used, but results are inconsistent and generally ineffective. Remedies such as pickle juice, broken glass, red pepper, razor blades, bleach, moth balls, rose branches, human hair balls, vibrators, ultrasonic devices, castor bean derivatives (Castor Oil), and explosives may relieve frustrations, but they have little value in controlling moles and may harm you or the environment. Furthermore, certain chemicals or explosives are illegal to use.

JOhn
09-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Mole traps are the only truly effective way of getting rid of them

Wife works on a ranch, and does irrigation, and frequently does battle with the moles. Typically she will flood irrigate the hay fields, and while doing so the Moles come up and out trying to escape the flood. At that point the shovel works real well to kill them.

But unless your willing to flood your yard stick to the traps. Oh one other thing you can try if you don't want the expense of the trap is to drop mothball in the mole tunnels. This works in a small area, but not really effective if you have a large yard.

Hope that helps.

Biohazard
09-15-2005, 09:19 AM
You might try killing them.

I hope this helps

Love

Hoover
I don't believe that I need any mole of your help!

Abba-Dabba
09-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Pour a whole poop pot of gas down the trench. Wait a couple of minutes then throw a match in the trench. If they don't come screaming out, they will wish they did.

Iowanian
09-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Pour a whole poop pot of gas down the trench. Wait a couple of minutes then throw a match in the trench. If they don't come screaming out, they will wish they did.

Blowfish will soon be along to call you a murdering, animal abusing bastage and probably will initiate correspondence with your congressman.

Biohazard
09-15-2005, 09:33 AM
ROFL rep

Dartgod
09-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Nice to mole you... meet you. Nice to meet you, Mole.

Moley, moley, moley, moley, moley!

Mole. Bloody mole. We aren't supposed to talk about the bloody mole, but there's a bloody mole winking me in the face. I want to c-u-u-t it off, ch-o-o-p it off, and make guacamole.

Radar Chief
09-15-2005, 09:40 AM
WTF?Numerous home remedies have been used, but results are inconsistent and generally ineffective. Remedies such as pickle juice, broken glass, red pepper, razor blades, bleach, moth balls, rose branches, human hair balls, vibrators, ultrasonic devices, castor bean derivatives (Castor Oil), and explosives may relieve frustrations, but they have little value in controlling moles and may harm you or the environment. Furthermore, certain chemicals or explosives are illegal to use.

Oh, this gets my vote. ;)

badgirl
09-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Try dropping a cat in the Mole hole, once it catches all the moles and starts to climb back out of the hole, then, is the time to start the mower and take care of the cat problem.

Ah, solved another problem for my fellow planeteers. :D

REDHOTGTO
09-15-2005, 09:46 AM
anyone ever try a small nuclear device? you might no be able to move back in for a while but the moles will be gone ROFL

Biohazard
09-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Try dropping a cat in the Mole hole, once it catches all the moles and starts to climb back out of the hole, then, is the time to start the mower and take care of the cat problem.

Ah, solved another problem for my fellow planeteers. :D
Nice, now your going to get all kinds of people going! ROFL I do like the idea.

jynni
09-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Get a kitty cat.
Or a dog. My mom's dog likes to kill small rodents. The people they adopted him from said he used to patrol the backyard for them as well. He would sniff and dig around a bit and the next thing they would see was him shaking the Raiders out of a little furry brown thing.

My parents haven't had moles since they got the dogs. Actually - now that I think about it, the only time they did have a mole problem was the two year period they didn't have a dog.

teedubya
09-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Biohazard, please dont make a mountain out of a molehill.

craneref
09-15-2005, 10:44 AM
I think the bes tthing to do would be to burn some marijuana at the entrance of the hole and make sure it goes throught he entire underground complex, when the moles come oout with the munchies, put them in the SUV, drive them down to 7-11, buy them some burrito's, corn dogs, cheetos and a Slurpee and then excuse yourself to go to the bathroom and leave them there. They will surely realize you are gone, can not find where they came from and leave with the next van full of munchie driven freaks show up. Removes the moles and friendly to the environment. Yeah thats the ticket. :p

Stinger
09-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Hire Carl!!!!!:cuss:

No ... I mean this Carl

lhttp://www.spitting-image.net/archives/images/caddyshack.jpg

philfree
09-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Skooter the cat got rid of ours. He's had his front claws removed too! I'd put him out at night because he'd sit by the door and whine till I did. I open the door and say O.K. Skooter you can go out into the night but bring me a mole. Next mourning there was my mole by the door. Sometimes he'd bring me two. I bet he brought in 20 moles last year but he hadn't brought in any for awhile until one day I open the door and there lay the grand daddy of'em all. Big freaking mole. I haven't seen a new mole hill since.

PhilFree:arrow:

craneref
09-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Hire Carl!!!!!:cuss:

No ... I mean this Carl

lhttp://www.spitting-image.net/archives/images/caddyshack.jpg

Good idea, however THAT Carl specializes in Golfers...er..I mean Gophers, so may not be as effective against moles. :)

Chief Faithful
09-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Or a dog. My mom's dog likes to kill small rodents. The people they adopted him from said he used to patrol the backyard for them as well. He would sniff and dig around a bit and the next thing they would see was him shaking the Raiders out of a little furry brown thing.

My parents haven't had moles since they got the dogs. Actually - now that I think about it, the only time they did have a mole problem was the two year period they didn't have a dog.

I moved into a house in the country that had a serious mole problem. The next day I came home from work to see about 150 feet of open trench in my yard. It turns out my Dalmation was an expert Mole hunter.

After that first episode of destruction in the yard that dog never let another Mole within a foot of the border of our yard before he would dig it up and dispose it. Never had another mole or open trench in the yard after that first day. That first year I estimated 16 moles eliminated by that dog.

StcChief
09-15-2005, 11:28 AM
You can do that too. They make "Mole Spray" to put on the lawn - not sure what that does - as well as poison peanuts.

I've found the harpoon traps to be the best solution.
the peanuts 'DO NOT WORK' get a cat and the traps

tomahawk kid
09-15-2005, 11:31 AM
the peanuts 'DO NOT WORK' get a cat and the traps

Between my traps and our mini schnauzer, we don't have to worry about moles for long periods of time.

MOhillbilly
09-15-2005, 11:34 AM
tri azinon or diazinon

kill the moles food source and they will go away.